Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
William_Philipp

Default Florida boaters license

Im sure you have heard this a hundred times...So how about hundred and one now?? Okay here is my story. I graduated high school in CT and then moved to Florida for my college, I did not like it and began doing college online. In the meantime I got my Florida's boaters license online and I now have moved back up to CT, but now have just rented a place in Moultonborough, NH and I have many high hopes of hitting "the lake" as you guys call it, more of an ocean how it looks . But in any case, am I able to transfer my license to NH or do I have to take the test again?? I looked through the State's website but had much difficulty understanding it (State). Please let me know. Also let me know of some good boating/fishing spots around Moultonborough. Thanks guys!
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
NightWing

From the Boating Ed website:

"Any person who holds a certificate from any state that meets or exceeds the requirements of the Boating Education Law (is NASBLA approved) shall be exempt. New Hampshire will accept proof of certification issued by another state."
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Phantom

William_Phillip ---- EXACTLY what Night Wing just posted (case you wanted to hear it from another source)!

My son holds a Massachusetts Certificate which he got years ago, we checked with NH and as stated above the key (as with most other states requiring one too ) is that it states clearly on the certificate NASBLA Approved !!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

You should be in good shape.Actually,the Fla and NH tests are almost identical (I took them together online) the only difference is Fla includes some questions about the Intercoastal Waterway.......Happy boating!
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
KBoater

Check this site for the approval of the course. You are in good shape.

http://www.floridaboatingcourse.com/
Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
William_Philipp

Default So do i??

So do I have to go to the state and get it issued under NH state certificate, or can I just go out on a boat now with the certificate I have?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Phantom

The Certificate you have is fine !

It is helpful in the field if it says NASBLA approved somewhere on the cert ---- I know I had a particular issue explaining away my sons Mass Cert to ( let us leave it at ) an "overeager" Marine Patrol officer.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Misty Blue

Default Is it OK?

Will-Phil:

NHMP will accept a NASBLA approved course taken in another state. But is yours NASBLA approved?

You said that you took the exam on-line. For a NASBLA approval you must take a proctored exam. An exam taken on line by "who knows" does not cut the mustard. Check your card for an approval. It will say so if it is.

I've got a place in Leesburg myself and while we don't have gators or manatees to worry about there are plenty of hazards and rules unique to NH and you would do well to take a local course even if your card is OK. It's quick, cheap, easy and FUN!

NHMP has a bunch of them. The next one in Moultonborough is on July 10th and 12th. The US Power Squadron does a great job at paugus bay marine on Rt.3. Ask for Tom at Heath's hardware in Center Harbor. The US Coast Guard Auxiliary also gives local classes. We are planning one for Moultonborough now and are in the planning stages and looking for students.

Give me a call at 455-7178 if you want to chat. I live right in town.

PS. Braun Bay for excitement and Lee's Mills for quiet.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
William_Philipp

Default Yeah it says NASBLA approved

Yes it does say it. I was thinking of taking a NH exam also to get used to the lake. It probably isnt as bad as the ocean is in Florida, it can be much the same. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Silver Duck

Default Since When?

Misty

Without getting into the benefits of proctored exam vs. on-line, since when does NASBLA require a proctored exam? NH's online course is NASBLA approved (says so on my certificate); I also took an earlier on-line course which was NASBLA approved.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
William_Philipp

Default as I thought.

I thought the same thing, My cert. says approved and I took it online.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default My couple of cents here

First there are NASBLA courses online....I have taken two of them.....Supposedly they have reprocity with states that have the same course criteria. Much like an automobile drivers liscense. However after
talking to officials in NH and in Vermont.....I decided it was much better to get the certificate in both states, As I boat on both Winnipesaukee and Champlain.....The reason for this is simple....I do enough boating in both states that the cost is minimal for the hours of enjoyment....and I would rather show the law enforcement the certificate they are most familar with. Officals in both states agreed with my opinion and the comments where along the lines that if I had thier states certificate that there would be no questions.....

My point is this....If you love to boat....you have already made the choice to spend money.....and compared to the cost of a boat....or a fine.....the courses are cheap......so if you plan to boat somewhere rutinely just get the individual state certificate.......There will be far less agrivation on all fronts.....
Someday we can hope that a boating certificate will truely be like a drivers license...but until then its best to keep your butt protected.........
Old 06-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

[QUOTE=LIforrelaxin]two of them.... However after talking to officials in NH and in Vermont.....I decided it was much better to get the certificate in both states,

Sad, isn't it, you can't even get a straight answer from officials. I run into this and it is very frustrating. Shouldn't SOMEBODY know?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #14
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Not all NASBLA certs OK in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
Sad, isn't it, you can't even get a straight answer from officials. I run into this and it is very frustrating. Shouldn't SOMEBODY know?
There was a good thread that included info about which Boater Ed Certificates were OK in NH. Not all NASBLA approved tests are accepted in NH.

The previous thread can be found here (scroll down to at least msg #20 and higher).
recent forum archive - NASBLA Thread

Also this page from the NASBLA site - in the comments section you will see what States do not recognize certain NASBLA approved courses.
NASBLA approved courses

I believe that this information WILL change but this is how it is today.

Good luck and enjoy the Lakes Region.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #15
William_Philipp

Default Ah crap.

Well I have the BoatUS Foundation Certificate that I was awarded in Florida and was fine there. It says that it is NASBLA Approved as well as recognized by the US Coast Guard? Now I am freaking out do I have to take another test again? How come it doesnt say this on any of the state's boating websites? Its not that the test was hard, as a matter of fact it was easy, but if I already have it...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Yep

According to the the site that the Skipper provided I would say you need to take a course that NH approves....the Boat US foundation course is not recognized.......

I would recomend the Boaters Ed course it seems to be the most widely recognized one, and if you have been around boating for a while taking it should be a breeze.......
Old 06-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #17
William_Philipp

Default online?

Are there any that are recognized for online use, Im just pressed for time.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #18
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Philipp
Are there any that are recognized for online use, Im just pressed for time.

you can pay the $20 and do NH online they give you a temp certificate. My wife did hers a few weeks ago and the card should be here in the next few weeks. This is the last year for NH allowing the NH course to be taken online. If you have it somewhere else you should be good, I took the pretest and got an 80 which is passing and then did the actual test and got even better.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
jbess

Here is the link to the NH on-line course...

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/index.htm
jbess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #20
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater
you can pay the $20 and do NH online they give you a temp certificate. My wife did hers a few weeks ago and the card should be here in the next few weeks. This is the last year for NH allowing the NH course to be taken online. If you have it somewhere else you should be good, I took the pretest and got an 80 which is passing and then did the actual test and got even better.
Just to be clear. If you take and pass the online test you a temporary certificate that you can print out. But they mail you a permanent certificate.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #21
William_Philipp

Default oh i c

Oh I see how it works now. Thanks for the Clarification
Old 06-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #22
Airwaves

Actually at the bottom of the Boat/US online boating course page is the following disclaimer: (bold and underline mine)

Quote:
The Online Boating Course is approved to meet the basic boater education requirements in certain states.
Be sure to check the regulations in your state. States such as KY, NY, NJ, PA, CT, RI, DE, KS, NH, MD, MN and others
do not accept this course for their education requirements.

Call (800) 336-2628 for more information.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #23
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
Actually at the bottom of the Boat/US online boating course page is the following disclaimer: (bold and underline mine)
As pointed out in post #16.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #24
Airwaves

Not to nit pik but post #16 took you to the NASBLA site,

The site I quoted was the actual Boat/US foundation site that our friend Wm says he used to get his FL online boating certificate.

The Boat/US site says their online course isn't recognized in a number of states (8 in addition to the three listed on the NASBLA site) The NASBLA site only lists NH, CT & NY under the comments section as not accepting the Boat/US online course while Boat/US says in addition to those three, KY NJ,PA,RI,DE,KS,MD,MN and "others" don't recognize it.

It's interesting as well that Boat/US says KY and DE do not recognize their online course, but the NASBLA site says those states do recognize the Boat/US online course!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:04 AM   #25
NightWing

This is from post # 16, which I wanted to repeat:

"According to the the site that the Skipper provided I would say you need to take a course that NH approves....the Boat US foundation course is not recognized......."
Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #26
Commodore

Smile FL certificate good in NH, Boat US is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing
This is from post # 16, which I wanted to repeat:

"According to the the site that the Skipper provided I would say you need to take a course that NH approves....the Boat US foundation course is not recognized......."
Nightwing is right. This is confusing though.

Reading over this topic, Skipper of CQ probably posted the NASBLA web page because William told us he had a Florida Certificate that was NASBLA approved. Airwaves, William never mentioned Boat US until he checked that NASBLA list and then told us his certificate was from Boat US in message #15.

Florida seems to have a NASBLA approved on-line boating education course.
FL Boating Course, NASBLA approved. It is not the Boat US course. That FL boating course certificate is probably [check with NH MP] recognized in NH. Very confusing.

The information from Airwave's about the Boat US Foundation is a very good resource too. I hope William noticed that his Boat US certificate is not accepted in CT as well as NH. William said he moved from FL to CT.

William, were you born before January 1, 1963? You may not need a certificate in NH this season .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
Yes. Ask 3 officers the same question and get 2 or 3 conflicting answers and it is not their fault. The rules are too complicated.

Thank goodness for this forum and the astute members who try to keep us all better informed. These discussions are a great way to understand an overly complicated system.

Safe boating.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #27
Airwaves

I think we are arguing symantics here.

The Boat/US site that I quoted lists NH as not accepting their on line course. It also lists 10 other states that does not accept their online course

The NASBLA site lists only three states, NH amoung them, that does not accept the Boat/US online course.

I went to the Boat/US site after Wm posted that he had taken and passed that course and got a NASBLA approved certificate so I could see what the Boat/US site had to say about reciprocity.

If Wm had gotten a FL Boating Certificate from the State of Florida it would probably be recognized in NH, but because he got it through Boat/US it is not, at least as far as I can see.

You are right about getting three different answers from three different "official" types and for that reason I printed a copy of the applicable law that specifically states that holding a US Coast Guard Auxiliary boating certificate (as well as US Power Squadron certificate) exempts you from the NH boating certificate law.

William, Commodore is right, the Boat/US course is not approved in CT either so you should probably invest in a Coast Guard Aux or Power Squadron course this fall, that covers you everywhere!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #28
William_Philipp

Default Well actually..

CT is overly strict, they do not have any online courses you can take. It is all classroom only, So I already knew that. This was the first test I found when I was in FL and decided to take it, and passed, not realizing that I would be moving back to CT or NH for that fact. It is an extremely confusing subject, and in my personal opinion...what is the difference between the boat us Foundation and the other state test. I still got 100 questions of PWC, Sailing, Operations, Mooring, safety vest, everything even trailering. So I believe it should cover it, but whatever I'll take the online one again thru the state this time and hopefully that will be the last time I have to go thru with this.