Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Kona Bay Girl

Default Boating License

Sometime last year, I passed the online test and got my boating license. In October, my wallet mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth. Unfortunately, my beautiful boater's license was in the wallet. My question is: is there a way I can obtain another license without re-taking anything? I've checked, but somehow I think I'm looking in all the wrong areas. Can anyone help with this? Many thanks,

-Nicole
Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Skip

Default Here's the form you're looking for....

Here is a copy of the form you will need (along with ten dollars) to get your replacement....

Boater License Replacement Form

It's a PDF file....

Hope this helps,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Can be replaced/re-issued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Bay Girl
Sometime last year, I passed the online test and got my boating license. In October, my wallet mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth. Unfortunately, my beautiful boater's license was in the wallet. My question is: is there a way I can obtain another license without re-taking anything? I've checked, but somehow I think I'm looking in all the wrong areas. Can anyone help with this? Many thanks,

-Nicole
From subsection D:13 ...
" III. The commissioner, or designee, shall replace a lost or destroyed certificate upon written request of the person entitled thereto and payment of the prescribed fee, and such copy shall have the same form and effect as the original."

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../270-D-mrg.htm

So it looks like you've got to pay again but you don't have to be retested. I didn't find an address to write to though...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
Kona Bay Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Here is a copy of the form you will need (along with ten dollars) to get your replacement....

Boater License Replacement Form

It's a PDF file....

Hope this helps,

Skip

The problem with this is you need the original card to get a replacement.

The original card is with my wallet in the unknown. I might as well just take the test again.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 AM   #5
RLW

Post Lost boating license

Quote:
The problem with this is you need the original card to get a replacement.
The original card is with my wallet in the unknown. I might as well just take the test again.
It does state that the original MUST be sent, however as one reads down the form there is a location for "Reason for replacement"listing the following: Change of address, Name Change, Lost Certificate, Other. If the person is appling for a lost certificate how can they return it? That makes sense doesn't it. You must be able to use the form. Let your fingers do the walking for a few minutes and ask over the land line.
RLW
Old 04-25-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
Skip

Post Give'em a call at....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
...however as one reads down the form there is a location for "Reason for replacement"listing the following: Change of address, Name Change, Lost Certificate, Other... You must be able to use the form. Let your fingers do the walking for a few minutes and ask over the land line...
RLW is correct, the form can be used for replacement of lost licenses, as well as the other reasons listed. It is apparently easier on the clerk if the original form is submitted to search the database, but you can still secure a replacement for lost certificates and not have to take the course all over again.

Anyway, here is all the contact info for the great folks over at Marine Patrol:

Gilford, NH 03246-7626

Telephone Nos.: 603-293-0091 - Director's Phone Number (8:15 to 4:15 Monday - Friday)

1-603-293-2037 - Marine Patrol (available 24/7)

1-877-642-9700 - Marine Parol (available 24/7) - Toll Free

They will be more than happy to help you get your replacement.....

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Dumb quote of the day.

"They will be more than happy to help you get your replacement....."

No disrespect meant Skip, but, when have you ever seen a smile on a state worker when you asked them to do some work that was caused by your neglect? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the state workers creed: "Accidents don't happen, they are caused".
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Misty Blue

Default NHMP staff

Sorry Winni Diver but I have to disagree. No mater how bad that I have screwed up in the past, the ladies in Glendale have always been helpful and courtious.

In fact I have found that all of the DMV workers (that is the ones behiond the desks) have been efficient and friendly. It's kind of spooky!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #9
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
RLW is correct, the form can be used for replacement of lost licenses, as well as the other reasons listed. It is apparently easier on the clerk if the original form is submitted to search the database, but you can still secure a replacement for lost certificates and not have to take the course all over again.

Anyway, here is all the contact info for the great folks over at Marine Patrol:

Gilford, NH 03246-7626

Telephone Nos.: 603-293-0091 - Director's Phone Number (8:15 to 4:15 Monday - Friday)

1-603-293-2037 - Marine Patrol (available 24/7)

1-877-642-9700 - Marine Parol (available 24/7) - Toll Free

They will be more than happy to help you get your replacement.....

Skip
Boating Ed was moved last year to a new site on 106, in/near Belmont. They probably have a different phone #.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
Maddog7337@att.net

Default Replacement License

Hi,

When I couldn't find mine I just called the boat desk in Concord and they gave me the number for the education section. I called that number and the lady looked my name up in the 'puter and they sent me one in the mail...no problem!
I took the test in a classroom, but I can't see that making any difference. There has to be a record of your getting it.

All the Best,

Gary
Maddog7337@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
Kona Bay Girl

Hooray! Once school has finished destroying my brain for the year, I'll set out to regain it. I don't drive the boat often, and when I do, it's with my father. Docking=big no. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
GWC...

Quote:
Docking=big no.
Why?
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
Kona Bay Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
Why?
1. I've only sucessfully docked once.
2. I kind of parked on top of the dock first, not beside it. Oops.

Anyway, I'll probably just re-rock the course cause it's a similar fee and I need a refresher.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
Airwaves

Kona Bay Girl:
Your ability to dock a boat is DIRECTLY proportionate to the number of people watching! Got a crowd? not gonna do well, No one looking, it'll be perfect!

Now, Something completely different!

Since nothing else in NH seems to follow rules in the rest of the country, let me throw this question out.

I am currently seeking retirement status from the US Coast Guard Aux. (I am now, and have been, a member of the USCGAux since 1988.) In 1987 I passed the USCGAux BS&S course (a prerequisite for joining the Coast Guard Aux) I achieved the "ranks" of Flotilla Commander as well as District Staff Officer.

In 1987 I passed the CGAux course. So, do I still need to pass a NH course or is my US Coast Guard Aux certificate valid even though I am seeking retirement status from the Coast Guard Aux?

Yes, I still have my USCGAux certificate in my wallet and I am proud of it!

Just for future reference;
USCGA is the US Coast Guard Academy,
USCGAux is the US Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Last edited by Airwaves; 05-11-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Default Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
Kona Bay Girl:
Your ability to dock a boat is DIRECTLY proportionate to the number of people watching! Got a crowd? not gonna do well, No one looking, it'll be perfect! {snip}
And on that note ... now is the time to learn by error and trial. Before the crowds arrive you shoud practice, over and over. Pick a calm day, put out the fenders and start with a straight in/out, dock to your starboard, run. Once mastered you can graduate to trickier scenarios and finally to a public showing with an offdock wind and short slip. Yah you'll probably flub the last one but we all have a some point.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #16
Misty Blue

Default Licences and docking tips.

Kona Bay Girl:

If you are looking for an other boating course the US Coast Guard Auxiliary is putting one on on May 22nd and May 24th at the Moultonborough Life Services building. It's a very good course and a lot of FUN! Call me at 253-7178 if you want in.

As for docking...I have to practice docking procedures every spring to shake out the cobwebs. A great spot is the Center Harbor town docks. Mid week and in the mornings they are clear of traffic and usually calm. Land to starboard, land to port, back in and roll off of the dock until you don't have to think about it. Just like skiing. Just react.

A good drill is to throw a ball or other floating object into the drink (no, not the kitty) and maneuver around it. Pass it on your port side and back around it leaving it on your starboard side. Come up to it and stop. Just goof around with it and in a short time you will be sail'en like the skipper of the SS Minnow.

Airwaves: There was a post on the forum from a lady that said that the NHMP told her that her USPS certificate was no good because it was taken too long ago. That is pure "Oscar Mayer". Their license is good for life and so is yours. If they don't accept your Auxiliary card, take 'em to court.

Misty Blue
Old 05-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #17
HomeWood

Just so I am clear. ANYBODY who operates a boat in NH needs an actual NH boating license? So if I were to come up this summer, I could not just take the family boat out and operate it under my North Carolina drivers license like I have been doing? How about row boats with engines?
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #18
SBC

Default Boating Education

Homewood, reference: “Just so I am clear. ANYBODY who operates a boat in NH needs an actual NH boating license? So if I were to come up this summer, I could not just take the family boat out and operate it under my North Carolina drivers license like I have been doing? How about row boats with engines?”

It is a certificate that is required. Licenses expire, certificates do not. Check these out:

http://state.nh.us/safety/ss/boatedla.html

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...D/270-D-10.htm

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...D/270-D-12.htm

Your best bet is to get into a local class or if that is not convenient, take an equivalent course in your state then obtain a NH Boaters guide for the latest on NH Laws. Become familiar with those laws and requirements, particularly one called Safe Passage. Call Marine Patrol or Boaters Education and they will be glad to mail you the latest copy. Copies are also available at local Marinas and sporting goods stores.

Airwaves, reference: “So, do I still need to pass a NH course or is my US Coast Guard Aux certificate valid even though I am seeking retirement status from the Coast Guard Aux?”

Go To : http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...D/270-D-15.htm
And check out the above links also for some more useful info.

Hope that helps! See you out on the water.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #19
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood
Just so I am clear. ANYBODY who operates a boat in NH needs an actual NH boating license? So if I were to come up this summer, I could not just take the family boat out and operate it under my North Carolina drivers license like I have been doing? How about row boats with engines?
SBC, covered all the laws. From your other post I see you're in your twenties, this means you need to take the safety training before you can operate anything with a motor larger than 25 HP. So your rowboat probably won't be an issue. If you were much older you would have a year or two until the law totally phased in.

You can take the test online, but there is a law on the way that changes that and forces a proctored exam.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #20
Airwaves

Quote:
SBC Wrote:
Quote:
Airwaves, reference: “So, do I still need to pass a NH course or is my US Coast Guard Aux certificate valid even though I am seeking retirement status from the Coast Guard Aux?”
Go To : http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...D/270-D-15.htm
And check out the above links also for some more useful info.

Hope that helps! See you out on the water.
Thanks! I printed it and will keep it in my wallet just in case I'm boarded and the MP insists on seeing a NH certificate!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #21
HomeWood

I appreciate the clarification on this. I took the "big boat" out last summer and had no clue about the certification law. Won't do that again until I get it.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #22
NightWing

Quote:
Thanks! I printed it and will keep it in my wallet just in case I'm boarded and the MP insists on seeing a NH certificate!
The Marine Patrol does not "board" inland water vessels, but rather they conduct business alongside your vessel.

If your ID indicates you are within the age group that is required to carry a boating ed certificate, then you will be asked to produce it. No "just in case" applies here.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #23
Misty Blue

Default One for Skip?

Both of my daughters have, more than once, been pulled over by NHMP and asked for their boating certs. because "They looked too young" to be operating a jet ski. (My guess is that it had nothing to do with cute girls in bikinis)
Quote: CH 270 D:11 III," Enforcement of this section shall be acomplished only as a secondary action when an operator of a motorized or registered vessel has been cited or charged with a violation or some other offence".

My brother had an MP officer tie up to him and inspect his vessel for safety gear as he was having his lunch while drifting in the Broads.

The "enforcement" section of the New Hampshire's boating guide notes that "These offecers have full police powers and have the right to lawfully stop and board your vessel at any time to check for compliance with federal and state laws".

My question Skip, is what part of the Fourth and Fourteenth ammendements of the US Constitution am I missing?

Does NHMP supercede the constitution because we are on a "sole state" body of water? Can a state trooper pull me over without cause on RT-25 because it is a state road? Or are we getting a 'leetle too big for our britches.

Misty Blue.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #24
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
Both of my daughters have, more than once, been pulled over by NHMP and asked for their boating certs. because "They looked too young" to be operating a jet ski. (My guess is that it had nothing to do with cute girls in bikinis)
Quote: CH 270 D:11 III," Enforcement of this section shall be acomplished only as a secondary action when an operator of a motorized or registered vessel has been cited or charged with a violation or some other offence".
If I may help Skip, verification of the age of young jet ski operators was done long before the BE certificate was instituted. If an officer believed that the operator was under age per the jet ski rules, he could stop and verify. The BE certificate is an easy way to check age.
Quote:
My brother had an MP officer tie up to him and inspect his vessel for safety gear as he was having his lunch while drifting in the Broads.
MP does not stop boats to do safety inspections, although any boat stopped will be inspected. Your brother's vessel had some other issue that resulted in the initial contact with MP.
Quote:
The "enforcement" section of the New Hampshire's boating guide notes that "These offecers have full police powers and have the right to lawfully stop and board your vessel at any time to check for compliance with federal and state laws".
The "boarding" references coastal waters, as does the reference to "federal" laws. State laws only are enforced on inland bodies of water and the officer stays in his or her patrol boat. On Winni, you won't be asked to produce a flare gun, but on the coast you would. Again, the inspection is required after any vessel is stopped, but a vessel will not be stopped solely for an inspection, even though the law would permit it.

Now, Skip can add to my reply or move on to the rest of your questions.

Quote:
My question Skip, is what part of the Fourth and Fourteenth ammendements of the US Constitution am I missing?

Does NHMP supercede the constitution because we are on a "sole state" body of water? Can a state trooper pull me over without cause on RT-25 because it is a state road? Or are we getting a 'leetle too big for our britches.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #25
Mee-n-Mac

Question Articulable suspicion

Quote:
{snip} Does NHMP supercede the constitution because we are on a "sole state" body of water? Can a state trooper pull me over without cause on RT-25 because it is a state road? Or are we getting a 'leetle too big for our britches.

Misty Blue.
You may want to look over this thread. As NW said there must (should) have been some valid reason the MP could "articulate" for the stop and search. Jetski and age might well have been the reason re: your daughters (though I'd not rule out "cutie in bikini"). Not sure what it could have been in your brother's case but I'd have asked what the problem was.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #26
Airwaves

Nightwing wrote:
Quote:
On Winni, you won't be asked to produce a flare gun, but on the coast you would.
Actually you wouldn't be required to produce a flare gun on the ocean either.

You WOULD be required to show a daytime and nighttime visual distress signal. Non-pyrotechnic visual signals that are approved are Orange flag (daytime only) Electric distress light (nighttime only)

Obviously the most common form of visual distress signals are pyrotechnic in nature, but its is not the exclusive form of VDS.

This USCG site explains more about VDS.
http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/metlife/distress.htm

NW wrote:
Quote:
If your ID indicates you are within the age group that is required to carry a boating ed certificate, then you will be asked to produce it. No "just in case" applies here.
Actually my "just in case" means "in the event" that I am boarded and the NHMP insists upon seeing a NH boating education certificate after I produce a USCGAux boating education certificate.

BTW, where does a cutie in a bikini keep her boating education certificate?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 AM   #27
NightWing

Quote:
Nightwing wrote:

Actually you wouldn't be required to produce a flare gun on the ocean either.

You WOULD be required to show a daytime and nighttime visual distress signal. Non-pyrotechnic visual signals that are approved are Orange flag (daytime only) Electric distress light (nighttime only)

Obviously the most common form of visual distress signals are pyrotechnic in nature, but its is not the exclusive form of VDS.

This USCG site explains more about VDS.
http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/metlife/distress.htm

NW wrote:

Actually my "just in case" means "in the event" that I am boarded and the NHMP insists upon seeing a NH boating education certificate after I produce a USCGAux boating education certificate.

BTW, where does a cutie in a bikini keep her boating education certificate?
Flare gun was a quick reference to VDS, but you are technically correct.

As far as your USCG Aux Boating Certificate, as long as it was a NASBLA approved course, then that would satisfy the requirements for a certificate.

Your reference to being "boarded" is not correct unless you are in coastal waters.

As far as where a young lady keeps her BE certificate.......well that would be her choice, but most PWCs have a hatch or two.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #28
Misty Blue

Default Don't get me wrong!

NightWing:

Please understand that I am a huge fan of the NHMP. They have pulled my chestnuts out of the fire more than once.

I am also a huge fan of the US Constitution and when I read or see something that theatens the bill of rights I start to worry.

But we are talking civics here where we are supposed to be talking about cool stuff! Nuff said.

So to the MP; Hip, Hip, Hooray for the folks in grey!

Misty Blue
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #29
Airwaves

NW wrote:
Quote:
Your reference to being "boarded" is not correct unless you are in coastal waters.
Perhaps the term "boarded" is not appropriate for NHMP, but the result is the same.

So, the USCG orders my vessel to "stand down and prepare to be boarded", and the NH MP orders my vessel to "stand down....and ...'what'?... pull over to the curb"?

The bottom line is a law enforcement agency has (to use an automobile term)... PULLED YOU OVER!

You want to say I haven't been "boarded" because an officer didn't step foot on my boat?
Fine!

The entire point of my original post is to say that in "IN THE EVENT" that NHMP "PULLS ME OVER" and demands to see my NH Boating Certificate and I present him/her with a USCGAux Boating Certificate instead (which was accepted by NASBLA years before NH was accepted) and he/she rejects my USCGAux boating certificate as being valid, I will produce a copy of Section 270-D:15, and see what happens.

That's all. Out.