Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
#1CandleLady

Thumbs up Hello : )

Hello there. I have been reading your forum for a couple of weeks now and I have to say by reading it I think we made the best boat buying decision ever!

We just purchased our first boat from Melvin Village Marine, a 2007 Four Winns 200 with the Volvo Penta. We had been dealing with Winnisquam but the numbers on the boat kept changing and that made both of us extremely uncomfortable and this board is how I heard of Tom from Melvin Village. What a great guy he is. We are first time boat owners and of course we were flip flopping from one boat to another and Tom never lost patiance with us.

Well we pick up our new boat on Monday so if anyone has any suggestions for us newbies feel free....besides stay outta your way....

Christine
#1CandleLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
WakeUp

Default Congratulations...

You made a GREAT choice. Tom is fantastic to deal with. What makes Melvin Village Marina so terrific is the same, superb attitude in the service department. Rob (Service Manager) is always upbeat, and a pleasure to deal with. I cannot speak highly enough about the entire operation. My opinion is they are the class of the lake.
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
secondcurve

CandleLady:

My advice to you is to be patient with yourself while you learn your boat and the lake. Everyone makes mistakes and you will be no different. Boating will seem impossible at first, but over time you will gain confidence in your abilities. Don't give up! Try to time your first boat rides during the week or early on weekend mornings when traffic is light. It makes a big difference. Practice docking when no one is around. If you have a friend who is an experienced boater, bring him or her along during your initial trips.

By the way, you have just experienced one of your two best days as a boat owner. The other one will come the day you sell your boat!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
secondcurve

Candlelady:
My other piece of advice to you is get a GPS and a Winni chip. The total cost will be in the range of $600-700. You will be amazed at how helpful this tool is. Google the topic and you will several threads that will point you in the right direction.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
secondcurve

Wink

I didn't mean google. I meant search this site.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
jrc

If you're going to pick up your boat and leave by boat from Melvin Village, take it slow and easy. That part of the lake is tricky. Don't leave the marina without a chart.

Right in front of the marina there is a shallow sandbar, the rest of Melvin Bay is clear except for clearly marked hazards. If you head for the main lake from there, all the paths require knowledge of the spar markers.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Dave R

Congrats! Hope you have a fantastic time with your new boat.

If you are looking for a family friendly and helpful boating web site, check out www.boatingabc.com. Lots of nice folks there and quite a few are folks from this site as well.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1CandleLady
Hello there. {snip} Well we pick up our new boat on Monday so if anyone has any suggestions for us newbies feel free....besides stay outta your way....

Christine
Welcome to the forum and the Lake #1CandleLady. I'll echo the comments already here. Get a boat map/chart of the lake. The best route around markers is not always intuitive. Practice slow maeuvering. Try going to a quiet cove and tossing some kind of float overboard and maneuver to it and such.

I understand that Melvin Village Marina does a good job taking care of the boaters that they decide to do business with.

They didn't have a boat to sell me so I bought mine elsewhere. Then Melvin Village refused to do warranty work or even talk to me about my (then) new Four Winns so I can't vouch for them. I can vouch for Winnisquam Marine who came to my rescue and did what Four Winns dealers should do - that is, provide warranty service without prejudice. I didn't buy my boat from them but Winnisquam Marine is high up on my list of good guys while Melvin Village Marina... well...

Again, welcome and enjoy your new boat and all the experiences that go with it.

Happy and safe boating

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
skprbob

Default welcome!

Welcome to the Lake, #1CandleLady! I hope you get much enjoyment out of the experience. All the comments so far are very good advice - I'd emphasize particularly those about getting and using a chart. Also, there's no substitute for experience and practice. Pick some nice, calm days midweek to explore with your chart, to practice docking skills, and courteous operation. I assume you've gotten your boating certificate? Again - welcome!
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Wolfeboro Matt

Default 2 cents more

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I bought my Horizon 210 three years ago from Melvin Village and have had a terrific experience with them. I use them to winterize and store the boat each year, and have any maintenance done over the winter. Its great to be able to just drop your boat off in the fall and pick it up in the spring all ready to roll.

Do watch out for the sandbar. When the water is low you have to time your acceleration right to get on plane in time when going out.

Enjoy!
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
#1CandleLady

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and great advice. We will definitely be picking up a chart before we even think of heading out. We currently have a GPS that is used for hunting but it does allow us to enter way points etc for a return trip, that's actually his toy so I'll let him be the boss of that I'm sure a more suited GPS is in our future.

We take the boating safety course on Saturday so wish us luck. Both our schedules allow us to finagle weekdays off, that's one thing we are both really excited about, we plan to get lots of practice in by basically just putting around......depending on gas...

That is one question I did have...as I searched through the forum I read where it is not recommended to use gas station gas because of the ethenol....is this the case for all boat motors?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
sa meredith

Default I wish you well...

Well, well..Two years ago, I was in the exact same situation you are now. And, at one time, as another poster noted, it seemed impossible.
There was a time, if I approached an area I wanted to stop at, even if there was plenty of space, if there were too many other boaters around, I would not even attempt docking...didn't want to look foolish. But time has passed, and now it is no different than driving my car. (the boat is 24', so it is not as though it is a big boat)
My advice (at least this is what I did) is to limit your boating in the beginning to weekdays only, and try to choose places you are travelling to that have "boater friendly docks". For example, the Meredith Town Dock "fingers" are far apart, and it is easy to pass another boat as you approach an open spot. As opposed to Wolfboro, were the docks are usually very busy, and the docks are very very narrow. Backing out of there is really for experienced captains only. I once dorked a docking there so bad on a Sunday afternoon. It was awful. But, as a rule, people are very willing to help you, and even give you a tip or two.
When you are out during the week, if you have the time, practice docking over and over again. Pratice, practice,practice.
And lastly, I believe learning to read a chart, and navigating the lake a little at a time is much better than starting out with a GPS. You really should learn the hard way, before relying on a GPS. I run into more people that have a GPS and have no idea how to find a numbered navigational marker on a chart, take a compass heading, and find that marker. You must learn how to do this, and learn what every marker (and it's color) mean. Always, always, always..if you are boating, and for a second are not sure where you are, stop, get the chart out, find out where you are, and find the safest passage to where you are heading. Have fun, and good luck to.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #13
Fishy Cover

Default Good Choice

You made a good choice with both Four Winns and Melvin Village Marina. We recently bought a new Four Winns from Tom -- our 23rd boat -- so we have done this before. This was absolutely the best buying and orientation experience we have ever had. There were two factory faults that were fixed immediately and without question, otherwise the boat is perfect and perfect for us.

My only advice is to remember that it's OK to go slow when you are uncertain or in a new area of the lake. You'll have a lot more time to read buoys and find the correct passage if you are at headway speed.

Welcome to the lake and good luck!
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
robmac

Congrats on your new boat and enjoy. I agree with other posts try if possible to shake her down on a week day very little traffic so you can begin to get comfortable.I just left the lake and while anchored in Braun Bay never more than 4 boats.Best time I've had in a long time no traffic and great weather
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #15
Phantom

Welcome #1candlelady--

The only advice I'll add is a tid bit that I have said in other threads & constantly drill into anyone that drives our boat ---->> "Do not presume the boat in front of you has any better idea of where he/she is than YOU -- Thus, Don't follow them thinking it must be okay"
Old 07-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #16
skprbob

Default Gps

I'd like to echo sa meredith's comment about the GPS. There really is no substitute for experience and a chart. Those are two things that will not fail if the batteries (or the operator's brain) go dead! A GPS is a wonderful tool, especially in rain, fog, or at night, but should not be a crutch. Use it along with your personal knowledge of the area, not instead. I recall a boater who ran up on an island. He was following his GPS on a clear night, with a full moon, and apparently not bothering to look out the windshield! He claimed afterward that the island was not on his GPS chart. He was right, because the GPS contained a state highway map rather than a lake chart. Don't follow in his wake.

Good luck in the boating course! Be safe and courteous.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #17
kjbathe

Default Bizer

I'm going to echo earlier comments, but if you didn't get one at delivery, pick up a Bizer chart. A chart is an essential, but the additional detail, rocks, shallows, and navigation routes on the Bizer can be a great aid getting started -- especially in the Northern part of the lake or through sections like the Graveyard. If you ever get confused or lost, the best thing is to just put it Neutral and look around to get reoriented.

And Phantom's advice is excellent -- twice last weekend we saw boats on the wrong side of "those colored sticks". Folks may get away with those mistakes on their boats, but you don't need to repeat them with your own.

Finally, relax, enjoy and stop for an ice cream.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
masssteve

Just took delivery of our 3rd Four Winns, 2nd from Tom at Melvin Village and the experience was even better then the last! We had the same experience 3 years ago with Winnisquam Marine, the numbers changed, no one could give us a stright answer, wouldn't get us the color we wanted. Called Tom, the price was $3,000 less, 6 year warranty instead of just the 2 year, and they had 6 in the color we wanted. We ran up there the next day and was mad at myself for not going there in the first place. Tom, his son Matt, Jane, they are all great people there and they always know and remember my name when I call or come in for service which shows me I'm not just another dollar sign. We had a 2005 200 Horizon, it was the best boat we ever owned, hope our new 240 is just as good. Good luck with yours!
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Weekend Pundit

Default Get The Charts!

Tp #1CandleLady:

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, congrats on the new purchase!

Third, I also have to strongly suggest getting a Bizer chart and spending the time to get to know the lake. I don't know how many times I've heard folks calling on VHF-16 for assistance due to a breakdown, etc, but not knowing where they were on the lake. I've heard more than one say they didn't have a chart or GPS with them. Not smart. Not smart at all.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #20
#1CandleLady

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. We took our boating safety course and both of us passed with flying colors We both learned so much by taking that class and the instructor (Joe if you're reading) was absolutely fantastic! We pick up our boat this morning and just plan on putting around the bay area, it supposed to be a wonderful day weather wise so we are really thankful for that.

We couldn't find a Bizer chart anywhere!!! We hope that Tom has some on hand for us to purchase.

Thank you again for the advice and kind words. I'll post this evening to let you know how things went for us today.

CandleLady
Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #21
pmj

Congrats on both your boat and the boating course. If you are anywhere near Gilford, Dave's Motor shop carries the Bizer chart, I believe. Have fun on the water, it certainly is going to be a gorgeous day...here's hoping for a little wind for our sails
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #22
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
We couldn't find a Bizer chart anywhere!!!
Bizer charts are available from this site: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/bizermap.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #23
#1CandleLady

Talking We survived!!!

our first trip out! Tom took us out to the Broads (sp?) first, went through the grave yard then on the return trip we went around them. After docking we set out on our own. We went to Moultonboro Bay and a little further past that, I don't have my chart in front of me so I can't remember where it was. Tom has the patiance of a saint I swear!!

It was a little confusing on the return trip, but red right return was steadily on my mind while at the helm. There was a little boat traffic, more then we expected on a Monday anyway. We met two great couples while at Melvin Village Marine while docked. They gave us confidence that everyone has been through it, to take our time and just enjoy and learn the lake.

One thing we would like to do is anchor up somewhere and just swim and eat. On our little outing we couldn't find any place like that, at least close by. Next trip we would like to put in a little closer to home which would be Alton Bay. Would anyone have any suggestions and\or cautions for this area?

Thanks again everyone for the great advice, if you see us out there we are the 20' white Four Winn's with the single green stripe (most definitely with the bimini up)

CandleLady
Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #24
Puck

Good to hear you had a fun and successful trip. In the interest of making sure you have many more of the same you really should not have "red right return was steadily on" your "mind while at the helm"... at least not when boating in NH. While that is appropiate navigation in coastal waters and large navigable waterways, NH has a different syatem. You need to stay south and/or west of a red topped spar and in between a solid red and solid black wherever you may find them. It's just another one of those weird little things that makes NH different. Good luck with all of your future outings. Have fun and stay safe.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #25
#1CandleLady

Oie Vay (sp?) thanks for that correction Puck, I guess I still have some of that Tuna fishing in my head from years ago. I do have to say that the Bizer chart came in real handy, we are going to order one from here just to have an extra on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Good to hear you had a fun and successful trip. In the interest of making sure you have many more of the same you really should not have "red right return was steadily on" your "mind while at the helm"... at least not when boating in NH. While that is appropiate navigation in coastal waters and large navigable waterways, NH has a different syatem. You need to stay south and/or west of a red topped spar and in between a solid red and solid black wherever you may find them. It's just another one of those weird little things that makes NH different. Good luck with all of your future outings. Have fun and stay safe.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #26
Woodsy

Candle Lady....

WOW!! DID YOU GET LUCKY!!

Red/Right/Return is not applicable on Lake Winnipesaukee or on any inland waterway in NH!! You got very, very lucky. This assumption could have cost you some serious $$$ and wrecked a great 1st outing!

Please, please take the safe boater course and learn how to navigate the cardinal (spar bouy) system. Puck is correct... Black (cold color) = stay to the north or east of the spar, Red (hot color) stay to the sout or west of the spar.

You also might want to invest in a GPS that has the Bizer Chart. Its not completely foolproof... but it's cheap insurance.

Woodsy
Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #27
Dave R

Quote:
One thing we would like to do is anchor up somewhere and just swim and eat. On our little outing we couldn't find any place like that, at least close by. Next trip we would like to put in a little closer to home which would be Alton Bay. Would anyone have any suggestions and\or cautions for this area?

CandleLady
Congrats! A white and green Four Winns bowrider with a bimini is gonna blend right in. Best put a name on the transom if you want to stand out at all.

Alton Bay is a piece of cake compared to Moultonboro Bay. You'll have no trouble there. There's only maybe 10 markers in the whole bay and most are off the beaten path, so to speak, or close to shore. The only one that's not is FL23 off Sandy Point. I have seen many people go around the wrong side of it and suspect it's not a problem to do so unless you draw more than 6 feet.

For anchoring and swimming, there's some great spots on the lake, but they can get crowded on weekends. Look for "no rafting" zones on your chart. Braun Bay and Small's Cove (just about everyone calls it "Sleeper's" though) are two of the more popular places. I have never tried it, but 20 Mile Bay looks like it would be good as well.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #28
Dave R

Laminated Bizer or Duncan charts don't float; just so you know... A spare is an excellent idea, good thinking.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #29
#1CandleLady

Believe it or not we did take the course, passed with a 93. I guess my wording was alot off, which I am more then willing to admit. We did follow the chart believe me! lol...so there was really no luck involved ( thank goodness) just my lack of NH waters wording.

We do plan on investing in a GPS system, do you have any suggestions on a good system to purchase?

WOW!! DID YOU GET LUCKY!!

Red/Right/Return is not applicable on Lake Winnipesaukee or on any inland waterway in NH!! You got very, very lucky. This assumption could have cost you some serious $$$ and wrecked a great 1st outing!

Please, please take the safe boater course and learn how to navigate the cardinal (spar bouy) system. Puck is correct... Black (cold color) = stay to the north or east of the spar, Red (hot color) stay to the sout or west of the spar.

You also might want to invest in a GPS that has the Bizer Chart. Its not completely foolproof... but it's cheap insurance.

Woodsy[/QUOTE]
Old 07-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #30
#1CandleLady

We are trying to think of a name now Thanks for the suggestions on places to go to. Looks like it maybe next week before we get out again with all this lousy weather in our forcast.

CandleLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Congrats! A white and green Four Winns bowrider with a bimini is gonna blend right in. Best put a name on the transom if you want to stand out at all.

Alton Bay is a piece of cake compared to Moultonboro Bay. You'll have no trouble there. There's only maybe 10 markers in the whole bay and most are off the beaten path, so to speak, or close to shore. The only one that's not is FL23 off Sandy Point. I have seen many people go around the wrong side of it and suspect it's not a problem to do so unless you draw more than 6 feet.

For anchoring and swimming, there's some great spots on the lake, but they can get crowded on weekends. Look for "no rafting" zones on your chart. Braun Bay and Small's Cove (just about everyone calls it "Sleeper's" though) are two of the more popular places. I have never tried it, but 20 Mile Bay looks like it would be good as well.

Last edited by #1CandleLady; 07-18-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #31
skprbob

Default good start!

Congratulations!

A comment on Alton Bay - Dave R is correct that Alton is vastly easier than Moultonborough Bay. There are very few markers and all close to shore. Meredith Bay is similar. Regarding the area around Sandy Point and Light #23, the chart shows course lines on the east side of the black-top next to the light and on the west side of the red-top near the Sandy Point swim line, appropriate for the colors of the buoys. If you take the route between the red-top and the swim line, you'll be going within 150 feet of the swim line, thus requiring headway speed.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #32
jrc

Since it sounds like you're trailering the boat. You can launch in Alton Bay at either the free public launch near Shibley's or at Downings. Downings charges to launch but parking can be easier.

Alton bay is a great place for a new boater. With the exception of Sandy Point, all the marker are obvious. By obvious, I mean you don't go between the marker and shore. Sandy Point is backwards, you have to between the markers and shore. This is clear of all the charts.

For a nice ride, I'd go up the bay to Little Mark Island. It's a cute landmark that marks the end of Alton bay.

On weekdays or before 11Am on weekends, I'd head for the sand bar at West Alton Marina (AKA Sleepers). From Little Mark follow the west (left) shore, keeping clear of any markers until you get to Flashing Light 75. There is a nice sand bar there with knee to waist high water. It's a great place to anchor and swim. On a weekend the place will crowd up pretty fast and you may want to leave unless you have two anchors and a knowledge of the rafting laws. Search for more info about those things on this site. If you need help at the sand bar, just ask most people will help you anchor or whatever.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #33
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Appreciate those markers

Glad to hear your first experience was a good one.

The only time I "touched" bottom was making the mistake that the safe side of the marker was the wider side. We had found a marker where that was not true. Fortunately we were at headway speed and raising the motor at the time of the touch as we realized our mistake.

I always check the chart until I get familiar with an area. Fortunately there are much fewer markers on the south half of the lake.

BEN Black East North

Some of the prettiest parts of the lake are where the markers are so don't avoid them for too long. Thank God they are here or it would be a scary ride.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #34
Pier626

Default thoughts from another Lake newbie

Congrats on your new boat and early expereinces on the big lake, Candlelady. I spend most of my boating time on Crystal Lake in GIW, with occasional day trips to Winni. My boat is an 18.5 ft bowrider, so I pick my days carefully. I try to avoid summer weekends and days of high prevailing winds. Before heading out I check radar, forecasts, and peruse the many webcams for current conditions and sometimes end up changing plans and saying, "not today".

I usually launch out of Ames Farm ($20/day)- they have two well maintained boat ramps, plenty of truck/trailer parking, and a store with snacks, bathroom, and Bizer maps all in one place It's location is ideal for me for picking destinations/routes at the last minute since it is centrally located (sort of) to Wiers, Meredith, Wolfboro, and Alton. (no offense intended by leaving off the other destination towns, but I tend to avoid the more navigationally challenging areas of the lake since I don't get out there often enough)

I rely 90% on my Bizer chart and naked-eye visual landmarks, but also carry and occasionally refer to a hand-held Magellen GPS w/ US Topo base map. I purchased the Bizer waypoints file which I uploaded (via PC) to the GPS as Points-of-interest (POI). This allows me to identify numbered navaids, island and penninsula names, marina/gas locations, spars, etc onscreen and is especially (enormously) helpful at night since my binoculars are not night-vision enabled. [if I spent more time on the big lake I'd probably get a chart plotter with the winni chip as others have recommended, and maybe even night vision glasses]

Enjoy, have fun, and stick with this forum. It's a great bunch of friendly, knowledgable people, and very helpful to newbies like us.

Pier626
Pier626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 AM   #35
pmj

Phantom wrote:
Quote:
The only advice I'll add is a tid bit that I have said in other threads & constantly drill into anyone that drives our boat ---->> "Do not presume the boat in front of you has any better idea of where he/she is than YOU -- Thus, Don't follow them thinking it must be okay"
Hi Christine,
I'm glad your first time out was a good one. We keep our sailboat in Alton Bay (this is our first year on the bay, having moved the boat from Gilford) and we are learning the bay. The bay is easy to navigate.

I agree with Phantom's message quoted above. To add to that I also never presume that the other boat sees me. A friendly wave serves 2 purposes.
One is courtesy. The other is to make eye contact so that you know they see you.

Also keep in mind that if you are going to pass a sailboat, if the situation allows and you have the choice, it is best to pass behind a sailboat stern rather than crossing it's bow.

Have fun with your boat. Wave if you see a navy blue sailboat in Alton Bay.

Last edited by pmj; 07-19-2007 at 05:43 AM.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #36
Dave R

Quote:

We do plan on investing in a GPS system, do you have any suggestions on a good system to purchase?

Navman Tracker 5507 if the space available is tall and narrow, or Standard Horizon CP180 if the space available is long and squat. Both are excellent and similarly priced at about $500 or less.

The discontinued Navaman 5505i (very similar to the 5507) has a built in antenna which makes installation simpler. If you can get a good deal on one, it would be a fine choice too.

Navmans have built-in fuel flow software that can be connected to a fuel flow device you can buy later. The Standard Horizon model can be used as fish finders as with an additional transducer. Those options may help you make a decision.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #37
#1CandleLady

Thanks yet again everyone for the great input and ideas on where to go on our next venture, which may even be this weekend. We are debating between Alton Bay and Winnisquam Lake. I would really like to put in in Alton Bay, he wants to test the waters at Winnisquam.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #38
Island Life

My advice is this: whoever is docking, the other passenger(s) should wait quietly with the rope - and I emphasize quietly - and just let the captain do his/her thing. Nothing like a spouse (or friend, child, etc.) shouting out warnings to stress you out as your learning to dock. Also, you will often dock perfectly when no one is looking but, for now, will almost never dock well if somone is on the dock watching you.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #39
jrc

Quote:
....I would really like to put in in Alton Bay, he wants to test the waters at Winnisquam.
You can't go wrong either way, it looks like great weather. Does he know where to launch on Winnisquam? I can't remember the details but I remember some issue with public launching. Try searching this forum or call around.

Given the good weather Winnisquam may be a less hectic weekend.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #40
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Navman Tracker 5507 if the space available is tall and narrow, or Standard Horizon CP180 if the space available is long and squat. Both are excellent and similarly priced at about $500 or less.

The discontinued Navaman 5505i (very similar to the 5507) has a built in antenna which makes installation simpler. If you can get a good deal on one, it would be a fine choice too.

Navmans have built-in fuel flow software that can be connected to a fuel flow device you can buy later. The Standard Horizon model can be used as fish finders as with an additional transducer. Those options may help you make a decision.
The Standard Horizon CP180 comes in two models, the I has the built in antenna for ease of installation. Just make sure you have a reasonably clear view of the sky with its position. You can actually buy these new for under $400 if you search the internet. I would shy away from Navman, they have had some corporate issues and I think that they were recently acquired. Their quality has never been great anyhow in comparison to other brands.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #41
hazelnut

Thumbs up Standard Horizon

I just bought my second Standard Horizon. The first was a CP150 monochromatic screen with external antennae. I sold it with the old boat. So I just received my new CP180i and I have yet to install it but it looks very nice out of the box. Can't wait to get it mounted in the new boat!

My experiences with the CP150 were all positive. C-Map Bizer card slid right in and provided me all the buoys and marinas with phone numbers and so much more. Great purchase!

DO NOT BUY CP180 at a store! Shop online an save huge money. I saved almost $300 Check out http://www.hodgesmarine.com
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #42
Dave R

I did not know about the internal antenna SH model 180. That's good to hear.

I love my SH CP155C. My only wish is that it had soft keys for macros like it's bigger brothers, the 175C and 1000C. There's some fucntions I access all the time and it's a pain to navigate through the menus using the jog knob while underway. It would be nice to have dedicated keys. Sadly, the 180 lacks them too.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #43
#1CandleLady

Thanks JRC, I did call MP earlier this week regarding where to launch at Winnisquam, I was curious to know if the new public launch was open but it's not . They gave me three places (one of which they weren't sure if they still had a launch or not). Looks like the Shalimar is going to be our launch site this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
You can't go wrong either way, it looks like great weather. Does he know where to launch on Winnisquam? I can't remember the details but I remember some issue with public launching. Try searching this forum or call around.

Given the good weather Winnisquam may be a less hectic weekend.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #44
#1CandleLady

LMBO Island Girl! That is to funny and an awful lot to ask of this Irish/Italian girl not to shout! I'll bite my tongue though, I promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
My advice is this: whoever is docking, the other passenger(s) should wait quietly with the rope - and I emphasize quietly - and just let the captain do his/her thing. Nothing like a spouse (or friend, child, etc.) shouting out warnings to stress you out as your learning to dock. Also, you will often dock perfectly when no one is looking but, for now, will almost never dock well if somone is on the dock watching you.