Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
jrc

Default Great Boating weekend

What a weekend to be on the lake. Got a late start Saturday, crossed the newly de-millfoiled Smith Cove just after lunch. It definately is looking better.

Passed a small fishing boat by Glendale. Planed up just past Belknap Point and didn't see another boat until the West Alton sand bar. We anchored there for a couple of hours, there was plenty of room. I even went for a swim, the water is getting warmer.

At the sand bar the MP (I guess) have installed three large red bouys. They are more or less in front of the new house being built. I think they delineate the distance boaters are allowed to anchor from shore, rather than the limits of the No Rafting Zone.

On the way back we trolled the entire length of the new speed zone at 43 MPH below the limit. Evidently there are no Salmon in the lake since we didn't catch any.

On Sunday we got a little wind and drizzle later, so a warm restaurant in Meredith seemed better than swimming. Again, very few boats, the small white caps probably scared them off. One small boat concerned me as they sat near FL 44 pointing in different directions. By the time I got to them they were moving on in the right direction.

All in all a great weekend, probably the last calm one for awhile. Next week bikers, then NASCAR, then the 4th of July. But the lake is just like New England weather, if you don't like it, wait a few minutes it will change.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
AC2717

Default I agree

Went out for about 3 hours on Saturday afternoon it was great very little traffic except of course in the channel, but other than that absolutley beautiful out there, got plently of sun almost decided to go for a swim but decided not to, I am this weekend though for sure.

I love this place!
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
GTO

Default you are so right...

Great day on the lake Saturday. I don't know if the original forecast scared everyone away or the gas prices ($3.64 at Y-Landing) but there was nobody out boating (except me) and the water was calm everywhere I went. I hope July and August are the same. lol
Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Default Very eerie out there!

I was all over the lake on Saturday and it incredibly quiet.I was headed to Glendale after being at a friends island place Saturday around 6:30pm and decided to stop in the broads and hang out for a while.I was there for a full half hour and never saw one boat!It was a little unnerving thinking I must not know that something bad was about to happen.Weird,very weird on a hot sunny Saturday in June.I'm not sure I have ever seen it that secluded on a weekday.I must say it was pretty cool though sucking all that beauty in alone!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
robmac

wonder if it was the weather or gas prices that so many stayed off the lake
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac
wonder if it was the weather or gas prices that so many stayed off the lake
Gas prices sure aren't helping the situation. I don't even like to look at the price. For now I'm spending the same amount of cash as last year, just buying less gallons.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
kjbathe

Default Agreed!

Saturday was a beautiful day on the lake... It's a treat when days like that happen on a weekend, but I honestly think it was the forecast and threat of severe storms and small hail that kept most people off the water. That, and after a long weekend and four day week, most of the "regular" weekend visitors took a pass last weekend.

But it was beautiful and if the weather holds out, I'll try to sneak in a repeat tomorrow -- it's just fun to have the lake to yourself
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote