Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
codeman671

Default Waterskiing etiquette and 150' rule

Since when does towing a waterskier negate the 150' law??? I was sitting aproximately 100' off shore on my pwc with my 7 year old and another watercraft with an adult and another child on Saturday. We were just down from Camp Lawrence, sitting and talking. A yellow jet boat with a skier started coming towards us from the cove just in from the Camp Lawrence beach. We watched as they came closer, I figured that we was going to veer right and go out around us but he continued on. He proceeded to pass us 30' from my port side between us and land!!!

I raised my arms and yelled to him, he snarled back that I was blocking his line...??? You have got to be kidding me. Last time I checked the rule book there is no law about his "Line"... We were parked long before he came and regardless of that he still has the responsibility of staying 150' from us and from shore, which he completely ignored. he ignored our safety, his own, and his skier who was a child. He later returned to a camp in the cove on Bear, we certainly will be keeping an eye on this clown and his yellow Sugar Sand Tango...

Being that the area between Mark and Bear is a popular watersports spot we are noticing an increasing trend this year of boaters that have absolutely no clue what 150' looks like, nor do they even know how to properly tow a slier/boarder safely.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
pmj

I agree. There has been people ignorant of or ignoring the 150 ft rule. Isn't this in the basic boating course?
Sailing amongst the water skiers, we have met the same type of violation. It is really scary ..which is why we avoid the lake at peak traffic times.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Kamper

Towing a water skier (or tuber or whatever...) does not get an exemption from any safety law except they can start a skier from shore or a float, and for that moment ignore the head-way speed rule, if it is safe to do so.

http://boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/ski.htm

On this link you can infer that they have no greater right of way either but I prefer to give them extra room so I dont have to get my prop sharpened again (joke).
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
JTA

Default At Risk

The ski boat obviously is wrong. Not only that, but when you operate a boat pulling a skiier, you have to be extra diligent to plan your route so that you avoid other boats, land, etc. It's a difficult job. People that ski in tight channels, etc. are foolish. Not only that but they're putting their skiier at risk.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
jrc

According to some operators of boats pulling the tube and skiers, they don't have follow the 150' rule if they start from shore. And they always have the right of way because they are towing.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Irrigation Guy

Default Report Him

I'm not usually one turn people in, as I feel it would be nice if Marine Patrol did their job on their own. But, they never seem to be in the right place at the right time. In this instance, I think reporting the offender, and a subsequent visit from Marine Patrol might help. It seems as though this person knew they were breaking the rule and glaringly at that. I think we all should start writing down bow numbers and take action against these reckless offenders.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Resident 2B

Default Growing Minority of Boneheads

Although most boaters on the lake are very respectful of the rules, it seems this summer, those who either are unaware of the rules or just plain disregard them are doing things much stupider than the stupid things they have done in past years. It also seems that these folks are much more rude and outspoken than in the past.

The MP needs to get out of the areas of intense patrol and see what is happening on the whole lake. I hope that the training the MP officiers receive addresses all situations on the lake, not just the general boating issues around the Weirs Channel and the "no rafting zone" rules. It is starting to be safer around the Weirs due to the major MP presence, while there are a lot of misinformed or above-the-law Boneheads in other areas of the lake.

I wonder if occasional patrols from the air might help redirect MP surface craft to address some of these problems. Something has to be done. Common sense is not being displayed by a growing minority. This is not a speed limit issue.

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-30-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
According to some operators of boats pulling the tube and skiers, they don't have follow the 150' rule if they start from shore. And they always have the right of way because they are towing.
The exception is that they may start from shore but must go straight out, as long as it is safe to do so.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B
Although most boaters on the lake are very respectful of the rules, it seems this summer , muchthose who either are unaware of the rules or just plain disregard them are doing things much stupider than the stupid things they have done in past years. It also seems that these folks are much more rude and outspoken than in the past.

SNIP

This is not a speed limit issue.

R2B
I haven't seem too mnay Capt. Bonehead moves this year, but the ones I've witnessed have all been "typical family runabouts", PWCs, and 30+ foot, express cruisers. The GFBL crowd has been very well behaved from my POV. What's everybody else seeing?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing
The exception is that they may start from shore but must go straight out, as long as it is safe to do so.
I know that, but "they" don't.

I tend to anchor too far from shore, I'm paranoid about damaging those four expensive stainless steel props. If it's a busy day, I'm sure to have a least one boat or PWC go between me and shore.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
I know that, but "they" don't.

I tend to anchor too far from shore, I'm paranoid about damaging those four expensive stainless steel props. If it's a busy day, I'm sure to have a least one boat or PWC go between me and shore.

Anchor with rocks between you and shore. It'll at least offer some entertainment to go with the aggravation.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Misty Blue

Default 150 feet from where?

Towing a water skiier does not give the tow boat any privaliges over other boats. There is a neet little curve ball here too.

The 150 foot safe passage rule also applies to the skiier. If the skiier is cutting out hard to the side it is the responsibility of the vessel operator to ensure that the skiier maintains the 150 foot rule.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
Rose

Default GFBL driver a DA in MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
The GFBL crowd has been very well behaved from my POV. What's everybody else seeing?
I saw a GFBL boat cut in front of the Mount as it was pulling out of Meredith. The Mount had gone from reverse to forward, but I don't think the guy realized that.

Does ANYONE follow the 150' rule in the Graveyard?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
chmeeee

Question: If two boats pass by each other in the opposite direction in violation of the 150' rule, who does the MP stop? They're both in violation of the rule, but one is not more so than the other.

I have passed through a few places where its not wide enough to stay on plane while obeying the 150' rule from a boat going the opposite direction. If the other guy doesn't look like he is going to come off plane then I won't bother either. I figure if we are both comfortable with it, then no harm.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee
Question: If two boats pass by each other in the opposite direction in violation of the 150' rule, who does the MP stop? They're both in violation of the rule, but one is not more so than the other.
They are both guilty and the MP can stop either or both. It's not a matter of who's more in violation.

Quote:
I have passed through a few places where its not wide enough to stay on plane while obeying the 150' rule from a boat going the opposite direction. If the other guy doesn't look like he is going to come off plane then I won't bother either. I figure if we are both comfortable with it, then no harm.
No harm? Well no ticket if he's not an MP (now they are unmarked), or there's not an MP around.

But no ticket doesn't mean you're not placing you and him, and the passengers at greater risk.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #16
Kamper

Quote:
Question: If two boats pass by each other in the opposite direction in violation of the 150' rule, who does the MP stop? ...
Depends on what boat the Mp's in. Either the one with the expensive boat or the one they can catch.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor
I'm not usually one turn people in, as I feel it would be nice if Marine Patrol did their job on their own. But, they never seem to be in the right place at the right time. In this instance, I think reporting the offender, and a subsequent visit from Marine Patrol might help. It seems as though this person knew they were breaking the rule and glaringly at that. I think we all should start writing down bow numbers and take action against these reckless offenders.
I agree wholeheartedly. Several weeks ago i witnessed two children (under age 12 in my estimation) coming out their cove a few coves over from us on a jet ski. Well, I thought no problem..they will eventually get caught and hopefully that will solve that problem. They did this on an off for several hours. MP even cruised by twice but did not see them. I kept thinking to myself...get caught get caught!! Well..the last trip out the two girls were arguing with one another loud enough for me to hear and the girl in the back grabbed the throttle and pushed down and the both of them almost went a$$ over tea kettle as the jet ski lurched forward out of control. They both screamed and started hitting each other. That was the last straw and I called MP. Of course a few minutes later they were back in hiding in their cove. I was smart enough however to get the bow #'s off the jet ski. MP did their job and 20 minutes later i saw them going into their cove. Good job MP. The sad part of the story is two days late i see 3 young girls coming out of the same cove again on that jet ski. All they probably got was a warning because MP didn't witness the incident. I guess we shouldn't be calling MP for every little infraction but for the really big ones...it's all of our responsibility!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #18
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick
The sad part of the story is two days late i see 3 young girls coming out of the same cove again on that jet ski. All they probably got was a warning because MP didn't witness the incident. I guess we shouldn't be calling MP for every little infraction but for the really big ones...it's all of our responsibility!!
You did the right thing. The third girl was probably 16 or older. But the "one broken window" theory that cleaned up New York City targeted the smallest infractions. Methinks Winni could use your kind of help.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
Rattlesnake Guy

Default We need a deterent to violation

Having people pass within a 75 foot distance is getting to be so common to us that we are thinking of getting an inexpensive camera to keep on the boat at the ready to capture these fools in action. I have to believe these folks are repeat offenders and could be easily found to have dozens of violations in a single trip out on the water.

I wonder if their is a simple technique to give the snap shot some credibility for a judgment of distance. (For example, no zoom) Picture of a 20 and 30 foot boat at a measured 150 foot distance for reference. Perhaps if the MPs had a bunch of pics to show the repeat offenders, they could pay them an interesting visit. Or give more than a warning when they do get stopped.

Just getting tired of having to kill the engines every time one of these geniuses come buy.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 AM   #20
MJM

The ability to judge the distance (scale) in a photo is a challenge. How about having a person visible in the foreground? That would likely help.

We've talked about, but fortunately haven't had to resort to, using our video camera to capture the offender. Being able to show more than just a snapshot would be a lot easier to estimate the distance. Convert it to an mpg, and email it off to MP!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Unfortunately

I have to drop of my ski(s) along the 150' of safe passage. I had one ski chopped up by a propeller and I had skis picked up by the Marine Patrol twice. The MP consider the skis a hazard. I did not get a warning or ticket but I had to wait up to 4 hours for them to return the ski. I had to sign a form as proof of ownership.

I always drop off the skis as close to the dock as possible and out of boat traffic. Is there anyone that had the same problem?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #22
Bear'ings

Default Waterskiing Etiquette

Does skiing etiquette apply only to the skier and the towboat driver? There are precious few coves left on the lake that can be used for water sports anymore considering the boat traffic. I'm thinking that a boater or someone on a PWC should be aware of their surroundings and recognize when they are sitting in the direct line of a water ski path. Unlike tubing, water skiers need to go straight. So while the tow boat was clearly in the wrong by violating the 150' rule, perhaps we all should be considerate of skiiers by sitting or drifting outside of water sport coves. That way, the tow boat driver does not have to awkwardly manuver around a drifting boat and thus ruin the ski experience for the skiier. In your case, the towboat driver made the wrong decision and did not veer off.
Bear'ings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #23
jrc

Bear'ings, good point, we all have to share the lake. If I'm in your way ask me nicely and I'll move.

I probably don't know enough about waterskiing to know I'm in your way, especially if I get there before you.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #24
Nauset

Are all ski or tube tow ropes over 150' long. If not you could be breaking the law everytime you pull a skier.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #25
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset
Are all ski or tube tow ropes over 150' long. If not you could be breaking the law everytime you pull a skier.
They are 60'-75' long usually.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #26
codeman671

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear'ings
Does skiing etiquette apply only to the skier and the towboat driver? There are precious few coves left on the lake that can be used for water sports anymore considering the boat traffic. I'm thinking that a boater or someone on a PWC should be aware of their surroundings and recognize when they are sitting in the direct line of a water ski path. Unlike tubing, water skiers need to go straight. So while the tow boat was clearly in the wrong by violating the 150' rule, perhaps we all should be considerate of skiiers by sitting or drifting outside of water sport coves. That way, the tow boat driver does not have to awkwardly manuver around a drifting boat and thus ruin the ski experience for the skiier. In your case, the towboat driver made the wrong decision and did not veer off.
The driver did make the wrong decision-Period. I was sitting there for at least 5 minutes before the guy even started moving. If I am 100' from shore in a fairly shallow area I am not blocking a line where that boat should have traveled in the first place. The boat had plenty of space to go out of the cove turn right and aim towards Mark to get by me. The law is the law.

We live in the area and I look at it every day we are there. We are frequently tubing, skiing, and wakeboarding in the area so I am familiar with where and where not to be. I am considerate of others doing their watersports and give people as much room as possible, even if it means stopping dead in the water with a skier on the back if I think someones course is encroaching on our path. It is common sense.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
Bear'ings

Default Etiquette

True, true, true. All I'm saying is that from an ediquette standpoint, if I am sitting on a highly manuverable PWC in a tight cove where water sports are taking place and a boat towing a skier is on a staight line toward me, I would have moved out of the line and probably out of the cove.
Bear'ings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #28
jceria

Default 72 Square Miles

Ya think that'd be enough!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #29
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Not Always an Option, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
I always drop off the skis as close to the dock as possible and out of boat traffic. Is there anyone that had the same problem?
The day our son decided to try and drop his ski, I was out behind them (yes, over 150’ away) and retrieved it immediately.

Is wakeboarding and skiing with one ski similar?

What’s wrong with some boaters? Last week on the biggest part of the lake with no one around, Capt’n Bonehead violated us with a skier in the water! We started freaking out and he just waved at us as if we were just saying hello
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #30
Kamper

Default Orange Flag

FWIW - A square orange flag is required in some locales to indicate you have a water-skier or other towed recreation. It's not required in NH, but if you have one there will be something handy to wave for attention.

It's not a safety guarantee but most folks will slow down when you waive something other than your hand.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #31
wildwoodfam

Exclamation When we learned long ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper
FWIW - A square orange flag is required in some locales to indicate you have a water-skier or other towed recreation. It's not required in NH, but if you have one there will be something handy to wave for attention.

It's not a safety guarantee but most folks will slow down when you waive something other than your hand.

Good luck!
We were always taught to get the ski off as quick as we could and hold it up out of the water - so we were more visible to boaters and that would in turn HOPEFULLY cause them to slow down if they were near.

Do folks still do this? WE DO! But I rarely see others holding up their ski!

IN VT my cousins have the red flag in their boat and when someone goes down the flag goes up! Its not a bad idea - but in NH it would confuse folks - who at least on Winni - appear easily confused more often than not!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #32
hazelnut

Angry ???!!!????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear'ings
True, true, true. All I'm saying is that from an ediquette standpoint, if I am sitting on a highly manuverable PWC in a tight cove where water sports are taking place and a boat towing a skier is on a staight line toward me, I would have moved out of the line and probably out of the cove.

Are you serious???? This is the biggest load of you know what I have ever read on this forum. From what I read here the PWC was 100 FEET OFF OF SHORE!!!!! There is no way that the operator of this ski boat should have been anywhere near them. Me thinks that Bear'ings was the driver of the ski boat?

Bear'ings post clearly represents the problem with most of the knucklehead drivers pulling tubers and skiers behind them putting them in harms way constantly. It is always 100% the drivers responsibility to ensure safe passage for their boat the passengers and mostly the skier/tuber. If that means changing the "line" then tough you know what. Do what I did when I was a kid, wake up at 6am and ski then or wait til after 5pm. These people that like to ski in congested areas at high noon confuse the heck out of me. That's fun? Skiing in a channel or "tight cove" at high traffic hours with rough wakes?

Rant over
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #33
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceria

Thats what I said this winter when Driver Boneheads truck got hit by the plane at the Alton landing strip.

I mean, come on, its a big lake. If someones someplace first, they win and you move on. Your right to have a good time DOES NOT take precedence over mine.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #34
Kamper

[QUOTE=wildwoodfam]We were always taught to get the ski off as quick as we could and hold it up out of the water - so we were more visible to boaters and that would in turn HOPEFULLY cause them to slow down ... QUOTE]

Yes. That's the technique for the person in the water. It's makes them a more clear target. For recovery that is.

Hopefully we wont have to start requiring skiers and tubers to carry strobes or other stuff.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #35
Rattlesnake Guy

Smile My thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceria
I was thinking the other day, you would think with 72 square miles people could plan ahead just a little.

Being a nerd who gets plenty of daily use from my calculator watch, you could physicaly fit 88,700 boats on the lake at one time in a square pattern. Of course, no one could move. Except for the captian who would bring his kid in a tube though on plane.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #36
DREAMS

Default Failure Of On-Line Boater Education Testing

I predict the majority of these clueless drivers you are seeing never read, learned or tested for the boater exam - their buddy or relative tested for them and basically handed them the certificate. Those people will never learn anything since they are "set for life".

If anyone went to the required state exam course, the marine patrol officer quite clearly stated: If you are towing a skier, tuber or any object, you must now maintain an additional 150' distance between the person/object in tow and another boat or object in the water. Thus, when towing skiers, your distance becomes 300' to allow for the skier and the boat. If in doubt, call any marine patrol or read your manual. Once again, how will marine patrol pull the ignorant off the lake with life time certificates or give fines for violations when they lack sufficient boats and officers to patrol and see these dangers drivers. Some things will never change!
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote