Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
gwood

Default Friday night fireworks

We're staying in Meredith next week and for the first time we're staying over until Sat. We're thinking about taking our boat down to Weirs for the fireworks. I know it's a fairly easy stretch going from Weirs to Meredith but I'm not too experienced at night.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, how crowded does it get with boats at Weirs.

Thanks.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Captain Zipper

Gwood,

In this day and age where you can get a GPS for $100 there is no reason for anyone not to have one. They make boating so much easier. Now, I am not saying that you shouldn't be prepared in case it fails but overall they are very handy. Take extra batteries.

I have a handheld gps. I love it. When I've gone to the lake I'll make a daytime run and track it with my gps OR go up early in the evening. After the fireworks you just trace your route back on the GPS. Keep the screen view down to a 1/2 mile or less, that will keep you very close to your original pass.

Make sure you have a spot light and a flashlight, a chart, enough fuel, an anchor with 200' of line. PFD's for all. I wear a small flashlight around my neck with a red lense on it, if I need to read the chart the light is red so it doesn't ruin my night vision.

I haven't checked to see whether it will be a full moon. That would help your night vision immensely and make for a beautiful night.

The main thing is to take your time. The trip is the "event" after all.

I've always enjoyed the fireworks from the boat. I've seen 200 boats out there and I've seen less.

Some people don't even think of taking their boats out after dark. I like to, it gives you an entirely different outlook.

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Winnipesaukee Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
Gwood,

Make sure you have a spot light and a flashlight, a chart, enough fuel, an anchor with 200' of line. PFD's for all. I wear a small flashlight around my neck with a red lense on it, if I need to read the chart the light is red so it doesn't ruin my night vision.
CZ
Where on this lake would you need 200' of anchor line? Since you're specifying proper equipment for viewing fireworks at night do you have a preference on anchor weight and line size as well? And are you sure one is enough? (a throwback to “Stormy Weather” thread)
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers
Where on this lake would you need 200' of anchor line? Since you're specifying proper equipment for viewing fireworks at night do you have a preference on anchor weight and line size as well? And are you sure one is enough? (a throwback to “Stormy Weather” thread)

Anywhere you'd properly anchor in 26 feet of water (assuming 2-3 feet of freeboard on the boat).

Meredith to Weirs and back would be a really easy trek at night. I'd just stay 1/4 mile from the west shore area and take my time going back. There's only three black topped spars to worry about from Weirs all the way to the Meredith town docks on the west shore. The spar outside of Maiden Lady Cove is the only one that's out pretty far from the shore.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
masssteve

Friday nights the shore line has alot of lights so is not so bad, plus the moon should be out pretty good. We have a chile peppers lights hanging on our deck so before I go out I turn then on, it makes it easy to spot our house from the water. Don't turn on any bright lights except your nav lights, you'll be surprised what you can see in the dark.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
gwood

Default Fireworks

Sounds pretty good. I do have a handheld GPS so I'll keep that handy. The whole thing is still a bit hard to picture let me see if I got it. Possibly 200 boats slowly pull into the Weirs Beach area and anchor. How close are these boats to each other? Am I getting there in the light and waiting for it to get dark or am I doing all this in the dark? What time do the fireworks start and last? Then, after it's over, pull anchor and slowly leave the area watching out for the other 199 boats and head towards Meredith.

I'm thinking the vision will not be a problem at all. I've done alot of camping and can always see great at night. Is there something about being on the water that makes it harder to see? If there is a moon out, I would think it would be very bright on the water. Am I over-confident about the vision?

Thanks.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
chmeeee

Once you're at the Weirs, there is a ton of light from the boardwalk area, so you can see the other boats just fine. Some people just seem to drift while others anchor. I've done both, but I prefer anchoring so I don't have to watch where the boat is going while the fireworks are going on. Boats seem to stay about ~50 feet apart.

When its time to leave, just go really slow until you're out of the Weirs area and keep your head on a constant swivel. I almost broadsided a 30' cruiser with no navigation lights the first time I went out (luckily only at headway speed). The guy had the nerve to yell at me.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
GTO

Default be patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee
Once you're at the Weirs, there is a ton of light from the boardwalk area, so you can see the other boats just fine. Some people just seem to drift while others anchor. I've done both, but I prefer anchoring so I don't have to watch where the boat is going while the fireworks are going on. Boats seem to stay about ~50 feet apart.

When its time to leave, just go really slow until you're out of the Weirs area and keep your head on a constant swivel. I almost broadsided a 30' cruiser with no navigation lights the first time I went out (luckily only at headway speed). The guy had the nerve to yell at me.
You don't have to be the 1st to leave when the show is over. let some of the traffic thin out before you pull anchor. No need for speed either. take your time and enjoy the cruise back. (watch out for bats flying over the water). And of course, the bright, blinding blue Marine Patrol strobe lights near Eagle Island where they position themselves.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Captain Zipper

"Where on this lake would you need 200' of anchor line? Since you're specifying proper equipment for viewing fireworks at night do you have a preference on anchor weight and line size as well? And are you sure one is enough? (a throwback to “Stormy Weather” thread)"

I'm not feeling the "love" in your remarks Winni Diver. You almost sound to be sarcastic.

I am used to anchoring in Long Island Sound where 200' does come in handy at times. But as another poster said, about 30 vertical feet from deck to bottom at a 7 to 1 ratio. Or 3 to 1 in 60'.

But if you'd rather anchor using 25' of clothesline and a cinder block, that's also an option. What I enjoy is when I see a boater in 25' of water using a 15' bow line tied to the anchor. I also have seen an anchor get thrown over the side and all the liine go with it, due to the fact that the bitter end wasn't tied off to the boat.

And since I see the majority of people carrying and "using" a second anchor at the sand bars; then "yes", I do suggest he carry a second anchor. "Weight dependent upon the size of his vessel. Let's see, all my years diving I have never needed my seccond, i.e. back up regulator, does that mean I don't need it?

Gwood, the fireworks are at 10 pm and they last about 20 minutes.Might I suggest boating to Liliakalanni's (or however it's spelled) for ice cream and then boat to the docks at Weirs and walkaround, then go out and see the fireworks, watch them from your boat tied to the dock if you feel more comfortable.

I suggest you get familiar with your gps during daylight trips so that you'll be comfortable using it that night. If you have it on during your trip down lake to Weirs then using the map page you will have a "line" to follow on your return home.

Try to use your floodlight minimally as that ruins your night vision and annoys the heck out of your fellow boaters. (Not that the fireworks will help your night vision. Wearing a welder's helmet during the show will help with that. )

On a moon filled night, you'll have great ambient light.

Have fun.

CZ
Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Captain Zipper

DaveR, thanks for watching my back.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Sorry, didn't mean to offend you...

I was Just wondering why you would specify 200’ of anchor line as a prerequisite for viewing fireworks here on the lake. When considering the fact that in most all the fireworks would be viewed while in less than 30’ of water and the viewing time would be less than 3 hours and there would be no storms (there wouldn’t be any fireworks to see)… I guess the best term for this type anchoring, in fact any anchoring on any lake in NH would be a lunch hook.

Yes, I am prepared; I carry 600’ feet of anchor line, 60’ of chain and two anchors (primary and a secondary). But then again I’m a different class of boat than your average boat on the lake. I have been sailing this lake for 30 years and anchor three or more times each week and seldom use more that 30’ to 50’ of line, it just isn’t needed. However, there are times when I’m the center point on our Yacht Club raft up and I need to deep set my anchors with a lot more scope.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
DaveR, thanks for watching my back.
I have to confess that I was unaware of any other discussions, and was just answering the question.

I have 265 feet of rode (250' of 1/2" three strand nylon rope/15' of 1/4" HT chain) but the last 150 feet of it only sees the light of day when I take it all out to wash it and treat it with fabric softener every year. 7:1 scope is only something I use overnight or on really windy days. I have room in my rode locker for another 200 feet of 1/2" nylon, I have the rope at home, and have the ability to make a decent splice (it's something I enjoy, dunno why), but have not felt the need to bother yet; maybe if I spent more time in salt water...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
Captain Zipper

Default Winni Diver, my therapist says that I'll eventually get over it. :-)

Winni Diver, you know, I was just typing away and 200' is what I have on board, so "Whammo", that's what I typed. And it was more of a general statement than one that would apply only to the fireworks.

How about 100'? Is 100' a good length for say a 21 to 28 footer' on average for Winni? With your experience on the lake it might help others to make the right purchase.

I mainly wanted to point out the fact that he should have a dedicated line and anchor aboard due to the items I've seen other people try to use. Just trying to help him be prepared for anything on his "night" voyage.

And actually I use my "lunch hook" the most. It fits more easily into my anchor locker.

Hugs,

CZ
Old 08-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Your're right...

Why of course you’re right, any skipper who ventures offshore should be prepared with the essentials for safe boating… I was just jazzing you, because you specified a certain amount of line which has little to do with safe boating, in my mine the proper amount is subjective and should have stated this way: “an appropriate anchor and line adequate for the boat and conditions”. But that’s just semantics, however, the key words are “be prepared” and as you pointed out today's boater needs to start with something.

Being a certified delivery captain as well as a commercial diver, I have a hard time accepting the fact that anyone would venture offshore, no matter how far it is, how deep or how long, unprepared and expect someone else to save their bacon. When I’m diving with a new buddy, I make it very clear that their job is to look out for number one; don’t be expecting me to be there to save you… I maybe looking the other way when you moment of crises occurs.