Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
sgold44

Default Another Quiet Year?

This being only my 2nd year on the lake, I ask all the old timers out there to tell us if the traffic on the lake is getting lighter each year. I was out both Saturday & Sunday this weekend, from Alton Bay to Paugus Bay, & there were hardly any boats out & about. Other than Paugus Bay, it was quiet.
I'm not complaining. Just Wondering.
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Quiet Boating Weekend

I was picking up some parts at Lakeport Landing Sunday afternoon and several people remarked what a quiet boating weekend it was. They said that Saturday was somewhat windy and rough and that may have discouraged some to leave early.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Ropetow

It was a bit windy Sunday and got somewhat rough once you exited Alton Bay. Still, rather quiet out there.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
NoRegrets

Default Perplexed

This is my eighth year on the lake and this is the slowest start of the year we have ever seen. The normal amount of enthuesium seems to be muted in the marina where we keep our boat. Sunday we traveled through Paugus Bay at 8 AM and only 1 water skiier and 2 fishing boats were observed. We spent 3 hours slowly cruising up Moultonboro neck and only saw fishing vessels and a few smaller vessels moving around. Maybe politics and fuel costs are creating an environment of pessimism that is keeping many away.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Skip

Default Not just Winni....

While I've only boated Winni once this year, I am beginning my 20th year of boating nearby on Ossipee Lake. Whatever is trending boating down on Winni is also apparent on Ossipee.

The marina where I keep my boat has had a waiting list for years. This year, like last, there are a number of slips remaining open for the season.

Boating traffic is down considerably on the lake, and those that venture out appear to be spending much more time rafting and much less time with water sports or cruising.

Ossipee has avoided much of the negative publicity afforded the big Lake, so I don't believe that is a primary factor. I truly believe that the downturn in economy the past several years is the driving force manifesting itself in a downturn in boating.

Likewise a number of area campgrounds around the lake, enjoying record populations and long waiting list for a number of years, find themselves with open sites and significant numbers of units for sale.

Furthermore, I can just about walk the length of the lake from adjacent Route 16 by walking on "FOR SALE" real estate signs and never touch the ground!

I truly sympathize with the campground & marina operators and will miss some of the folks selling their cottages, but I am enjoying the peace & tranquility this current economic downturn is bringing to the region. Maybe we all are in the mood for for a quiter pace of yesteryear, no matter how short that respite mayt be!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
jetskier

Default Agreed, but...

I think that the cold weather and wind kept quite a few boaters off the lake this past Saturday. We were going to go out on the boat or PWC, but it just seemed pretty nasty out there.

That all being said, there does seem to be a lot less boat traffic out on the lake. I have noticed that the composition of traffic is also different. There seems to be a greater composition of small boats and VERY LARGE BOATS. It seems that the middle ground is what is disappearing. Any one else make the same observation?

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
....There seems to be a greater composition of small boats and VERY LARGE BOATS. It seems that the middle ground is what is disappearing. Any one else make the same observation?

Jetskier
I've notice that in the spring and fall there are small boats usually islanders and fishermen, and also cruisers. Islanders brave the cold, fishermen don't feel cold and cruisers have canvas and isenglass.

The bow-riders and PWC usually wait until schools out and the water is warm. A cold spring has delayed their arrival.

The gas prices may be having a similar effect. Islanders, fishermen and cruisers have to use gas or we can't enjoy our lakefront property. Dayboaters may choose to just go to the beach instead of pulling the tube around.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Kevin C

Last Sunday my wife and I were wondering the same thing. This is the third Sunday (for us) where traffic was down considerably. With bike week we thought it might be because of the congestion and hassle on the roads. Last weekend we wondered if it is because schools were just getting out. But I honestly believe that with the price of fuel being what it is on the lake will not only have an impact on gas spending on the lake but will also be a determining factor in how many times people will drive up to the lake this summer. I guess that next weekend might tell the story as schools will be out.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
ApS

Question But An AMAZING Monday...

No question that Saturday was rough.

Sunday saw half of Saturday's wind, and in sight here were a few dozen big boats. There was one large sailboat getting all wrapped-up in the lake's tricky winds and one 13˝-foot sailboard and one 12-foot windsurfer. ("Big boats" means any powerboat larger than the Marine Patrol outboard boats—btw, what size overall are those MP outboards anyway, 20-22-feet?)

But Monday afternoon was a truly remarkable afternoon for "The Weekend Before The 4th": I saw just four boats.

1) A canoe doing a slow-tow of a kayak (the kayak's only occupant being a toddler in a PFD) across open water.

2) A small outboard towing a skier, who spent the first hour with two passengers. He later appeared solo—still towing a skier—and no passengers at all!

Once, that boat left the skier in the water to retrieve a ski which had been dropped about ˝-mile away. The skier was just a tiny blob in three square miles of water, but was in no immediate danger from other boats—'cause there weren't any other boats in sight!

3) And lastly, a "small" bowrider (who witnessed the canoe/kayak-tow), whose trip was to visit me!

Prediction: The week of July 4th will make up for all of May and June.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 AM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Not just boats...

I agree the lake has been very quiet. We came across the broads from Mink to LSP at 7.00 PM on the night before Fathers Day and saw maybe 5 other boats. It was a beatiful calm evening. My wife and I both thought it was weird to see the lake so empty.

Besides boat traffic...

When was the last time you saw a big blinking light on Rt. 106 hawking NASCAR tickets for the race... it was still there this week.

I was at Lowes this past Saturday and the employees outnumbered the customers.

In spite of the best weather for many years, Bike Week was very quiet. A friend of my daughter was able to get a camp site in the Weirs without a reservation for Friday and Saturday night.

Simpliest answer IMHO is the cost of gas. As that cost goes up.. something else must go down.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
KonaChick

I think boat traffic picks up considerable the week of July 4th and beyond. From my observations June is always a quiet month with Father's Day weekend and lots of spring sport schedules wrapping up. I haven't been up this month myself due to kids sports etc. but in the past I've always noticed a huge difference between last week of June first week of July..IMHO.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
sa meredith

Default This past Friday...

Although it is very early in the season, I find boat traffic to be WAY OFF.
I am regularly on the lake on Fridays, and this past week (6/22), although I did very little travelling, I saw noone. The weather was perfect (76, clear) yet when we pulled into the Meredith Town Docks, I was the only boat there
(10:30AM). After breakfast at George's, we stayed at the docks for 2/2.5 hours (2/2.5 Bloody Marys), and never saw another boat...other than two or three Bass Boats using the ramp to "pull out".
Anyway, we then took a short cruise over to the Weirs Docks and again...NOT ONE BOAT. After a visit to "Crazy Gringo's" for some Marg's, we returned, and just noone around. Granted, it is a weekday, but last year on Friday's there was always several boats around. I mean....the Meredith Town Docks...empty? Not often you see that.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
Doyboy

Default Gas Prices?

Could it be the trickle down result of high gas prices? Although they are not drastically more than last year maybe it took a year to catch up to people and they are being more cognizant of the impact to their wallets.
Doyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
Weirs guy

Boat traffic around the Weirs looked fairly good on Sunday (from my porch that is, no fancy boat for this poor boy). The funny thing here is I think the Weirs itself has been busier this year then any in the recent past so far. Sunday night we had to fight traffic to get home after 8 p.m.!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
...2/2.5 Bloody Marys...to "Crazy Gringo's" for some Marg's....
Hope you kept an eye on your BAC or let someone else drive.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #16
sa meredith

Default Well, becaue you asked, JRC...

Well, I believe the thread was about boat traffic, but, because you seemed concerned...
I think 4 drinks between 10:30 and 4PM is not excessive. I weigh 220 lbs.
And by the way...I didn't drive after "Gringos". I have a good friend who hasn't had a drink in 12 years...he is a fine captain, and I make a point of keeping him close by when boating.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
jrc

If I start drinking before noon, I'm not going to be fit for driving. If you can stay in control and under the limit, you got no problems from me.

Sorry for the thread highjack, it just jumped out at me.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
macshpman

Default Looking forward to boating

I may have pick a good year to return to the lake.The last time boating for me was 1988 on the lake,but we have changed that. Purchased a used 1988 Four Winns 205 sundowner and looking forward to using the lake with the family. My daughter is 12 now and loves boating. High gas prices or not, we are going to have some fun this summer.
macshpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
sa meredith

Default You had a valid point...

Anyway...your point is well received. When I do a bit of drinking, I'm sure to bring a sober, experienced captain with me...as I did on the day I mentioned.
Be good...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #20
Rattlesnake Guy

This is our forth year on the island looking North East. I remember thinking in the first year or two it would be really cool to set up a camera and computer to count the boats and provide a graph on the web to show boat traffic. It amazed me how many boats would be passing during certain times of the day on Saturday and Sunday. You could tell when it was lunch time with the slowdown. The last year or two it would not make much of a graph. I guess it would have been nice to have the historic record. I wonder if the state keeps track of gallons of gas sold on the lake. That would be a pretty accurate indicator.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #21
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy
"...I guess it would have been nice to have the historic record. I wonder if the state keeps track of gallons of gas sold on the lake. That would be a pretty accurate indicator..."
An accurate indicator of gallons of gas sold—only.

Add a few cruisers and GFBLs at the top of the "oil-chain", and subtract the small family-boater from the bottom, and the results would indicate a very different boating environment.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
secondcurve

APS & Rattlesnake Guy:

Very good points. My guess is that knowing what the gallons sold on the lake would be very telling, albeit as APS notes one would need to be adjustments for changing composition of boats, etc. Boat registration information in the state would also be a good way to judge what is happening. My feeling is that things are down incrementally, but nothing too drastic. Sort of like what is happening in housing.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

As I see it there is no law against driving after drinking......just drunk driving.It's gotten so that people are affraid to drink a beer in the afternoon if they are going anywhere.The NHLC used to distribute charts to all licensee's showing consumption vs body weight.As I remember, a person weighing 220 could drink up tp seven drinks in 3 hour period and not be inpaired.The chart went on to say that the body dispels the effect of one drink each hour so it seems reasonable to assume that you could go out boating,drink 6 or 8 beers,have lunch and still be ok.
I'm not advocating driving and drinking...just throwing that out there.It's a judgement call for each person and it goes without saying that a person who has not been drinking should be operating if possible.
That said....I believe I'll crack open a Corona.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #24
AC2717

Default Second this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
As I see it there is no law against driving after drinking......just drunk driving.It's gotten so that people are affraid to drink a beer in the afternoon if they are going anywhere.The NHLC used to distribute charts to all licensee's showing consumption vs body weight.As I remember, a person weighing 220 could drink up tp seven drinks in 3 hour period and not be inpaired.The chart went on to say that the body dispels the effect of one drink each hour so it seems reasonable to assume that you could go out boating,drink 6 or 8 beers,have lunch and still be ok.
I'm not advocating driving and drinking...just throwing that out there.It's a judgement call for each person and it goes without saying that a person who has not been drinking should be operating if possible.
That said....I believe I'll crack open a Corona.
I agree just because you have a ocuple of drinks does not mean you are drunk, people need to learn their HONEST tolerence to alcohol first though. Not have 10 beers and say I am not drunk oh no and things like this.
AC2717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #25
sa meredith

Default Drinking and Boating...

God bless you and the Corona you are opening at 9:30 in the morning.
Tommorow, being Friday, is my day to "crack 'em" before noon. Can't wait...
Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #26
jetskier

Default .03% can be considered intoxicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
God bless you and the Corona you are opening at 9:30 in the morning.
Tommorow, being Friday, is my day to "crack 'em" before noon. Can't wait...
Hi all,

I am attaching a excerpt from the New Hampshire boating handbook. On a discretionary basis, .03% is considered intoxicated. Most people only think of the .08% level. Personally, I won't drink at all when I boat. It is just too risky given the low discretionary level.

Jetskier

New Hampshire law prohibits anyone from boating while intoxicated (BWI)—that is, operating any vessel (including vessels propelled by a motor or sail, canoes and kayaks) while under the influence of alcohol, controlled drugs or any combination of alcohol and controlled drugs.

The following conditions determine if you are boating under the influence:

If your blood alcohol concentration is 0.08% or greater by weight of alcohol as determined by a breath, blood or urine test, you are considered to be under the influence of alcohol.
If your blood alcohol concentration is greater than 0.03% but less than 0.08% by weight of alcohol as determined by a breath, blood or urine test, that fact along with other evidence can be used to determine if you are under the influence.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

The state HAS to know the gallons of gas sold on the lake, because they charge .18 tax for each gallon. I assume marinas as do other businesses have to report gallons bought and used etc. to the state quarterly. I agree it would be interesting to know how much is used.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #28
jrc

First, on BWI, I jumped on sa_meridith too fast because I didn't think through the time involved. Four or five drinks sounds like lot, but if you spread it over four or five hours, you're not going to be over .08 BAC. According to the chart on wikipedia, you may not even be over .03 Obviously excessive drinking is problem on the lake, but I don't want to get to the point where no drinking is allowed.

Tis, on gas tax, guessing the record keeping in NH, they would have to go through each quarters tax payment by hand and decide from the company name if the gas was marine or road use. It might be easier to track requests for gas tax rebates, but a lot of boaters don't file for them.

Overall, gas data might not be that usefull. Because of the huge increase in PWCs over the last ten years, I'd bet the gas usage has gone down dramatically. Plus many outboards are now efficient four-strokes and many larger boats have fuel injection.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #29
AC2717

Default Gas Tax

Quote:
Tis, on gas tax, guessing the record keeping in NH, they would have to go through each quarters tax payment by hand and decide from the company name if the gas was marine or road use. It might be easier to track requests for gas tax rebates, but a lot of boaters don't file for them.

Overall, gas data might not be that usefull. Because of the huge increase in PWCs over the last ten years, I'd bet the gas usage has gone down dramatically. Plus many outboards are now efficient four-strokes and many larger boats have fuel injection.
I believe that Marina gas might not be subject to the road usage tax from the federal government, someone would have to folow up on this one, but i believe it does not so you would be able to decipher that way
AC2717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #30
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
The state HAS to know the gallons of gas sold on the lake, because they charge .18 tax for each gallon. I assume marinas as do other businesses have to report gallons bought and used etc. to the state quarterly. I agree it would be interesting to know how much is used.
How meaningfull would it be? Marinas on waters OTHER than Winni sell gas. Some is sold to gas guzzlers on Great Bay (NH/ocean), a large number of trailored boats arrive here already gassed-up from the cheaper NH gas stations. Some are trailored here pre-filled from out of state.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #31
tis

That's true, Gavia, and I think lots of smaller boats just buy it at the gas stations and carry it their boats and put it in themselves. There is no way to tell how many boaters don't use the marinas. But the state should certainly be able to obtain an amout of gallons of fuel bought by marinas on Winni. When they sell it to the marinas they charge the .18 and of course it is up to the boat owners to get a rebate for off road use. They are obviously hoping the majority of boaters won't bother. (We don't.) Also most of the marinas use forklifts and or boat gas themselves so I bet all or most of them file for a rebate and in order to do that, they have to report all gallons used. So the state knows.
AC, yes they would have to go through each quarter. As I said, part of the process is total gallons bought and total gallons used, on and off road. And yes, I agree, with so many PWCs, it probably would be hard to figure.
The oil companies also much charge the federal tax (.24), which you can file for a rebate for at the end of the year with the feds for off road use. I think the .02 environmental tax is not refundable, whether used on or off road.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #32
TomC

Default i think it is the CHANGE in marina gasoline thats noteworthy

not the absolute number of gallons sold. When plotted year to year to eliminate random variations, a trend might emerge....
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #33
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Exactly TomC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
not the absolute number of gallons sold. When plotted year to year to eliminate random variations, a trend might emerge....
All the minor things aside, if the gallons sold at the lake's marinas has dropped by 32% from 2000 to 2006 it is a very telling indicator.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #34
ApS

Question Whither Wetter Weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
A trend like New Hampshire's weather during the summers—when 2003-2006 were our wettest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgold44
"...I ask all the old timers out there to tell us if the traffic on the lake is getting lighter each year..."
I'm fully qualified to answer, then!

...And I'm saying that the trend is obviously downward: and it's a result of converging trends.

1) Boater-Ed is trying to blend the Older Boater in at present: some won't be bothered, and will just play golf or game electronically. (Not to mention that their test taking skills are less well-honed than younger boaters and the requirements have just become an impediment this year over the much-friendlier on-line requirements!)

2) Gas has increased in cost, but it's been incremental; all the while, boats are incrementally larger—creating new demand for fuel—thereby raising the cost of fuel!

3) Larger boats contribute to the lake's "agitation-cycle" that conflicts with other former activities, such as waterskiing, sightseeing, cruising, picnicking at anchor, and learning to waterski.

Tubing thrives on the "agitation-cycle", and ever-larger boats are taking up the activity!

4) Ocean-racers pride themselves on their money-spending and have little to fear financially from enforcement activities: there's that intimidation factor from their speeds and wakes—particularly in congested bays and harbors.

5) Some begin their boating experience with a large-ish boat for Lake Winnipesaukee, and have little appreciation for the effect of their wakes on other boaters and swimmers in shallow waters. (Where wakes really increase in force).

There. I think I'm done!

Last edited by ApS; 07-03-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: 'Just noticed that an Old-Timer's opinion was requested!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #35
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Another Quiet Boating Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook
I was picking up some parts at Lakeport Landing Sunday afternoon and several people remarked what a quiet boating weekend it was. They said that Saturday was somewhat windy and rough and that may have discouraged some to leave early.

We got to the lake early Saturday afternoon and 98% of the boats were in their slips. We stayed on the boat Saturday evening and Sunday was no better. I'm surmising that the wind and cool weather had an effect.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #36
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
That all being said, there does seem to be a lot less boat traffic out on the lake. I have noticed that the composition of traffic is also different. There seems to be a greater composition of small boats and VERY LARGE BOATS. It seems that the middle ground is what is disappearing. Any one else make the same observation?

Jetskier
Have noted the same thing the last few weekends....
Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #37
jrc

Default Weird this year

I usually spend Forth of July week on the boat. This year was very stange. Very few cars at the yacht clubs, very few boats on the lake, Alton and Weirs docks empty, most restaurants full but a not over crowded, vacancy signs on almost all the motels, it was very wierd. I'm sure the Wednesday holiday didn't help and the weather forecast was unappealing. A lot of businesses will be having a tough year.

There were a few mobbed spots though Catus Jack/T-bones was overrun everytime we went near it, as were the Wolfeboro town docks.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #38
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second

1) Boater-Ed is trying to blend the Older Boater in at present: some won't be bothered, and will just play golf or game electronically. (Not to mention that their test taking skills are less well-honed than younger boaters and the requirements have just become an impediment this year over the much-friendlier on-line requirements!)

2) Gas has increased in cost, but it's been incremental; all the while, boats are incrementally larger—creating new demand for fuel—thereby raising the cost of fuel!

3) Larger boats contribute to the lake's "agitation-cycle" that conflicts with other former activities, such as waterskiing, sightseeing, cruising, picnicking at anchor, and learning to waterski.

Tubing thrives on the "agitation-cycle", and ever-larger boats are taking up the activity!

4) Ocean-racers pride themselves on their money-spending and have little to fear financially from enforcement activities: there's that intimidation factor from their speeds and wakes—particularly in congested bays and harbors.

5) Some begin their boating experience with a large-ish boat for Lake Winnipesaukee, and have little appreciation for the effect of their wakes on other boaters and swimmers in shallow waters. (Where wakes really increase in force).

There. I think I'm done!
I would think that you of all people would be happier with the more stringent requirements and testing program for boaters education this year, yet your post makes it sound like it is an added nuisance impeding older boaters from enjoying the lake???

The rest of your post is a lot of opinions only, based on your feelings on speed and large boats. Let's look at the real facts that can be substantiated:

1. This spring has not been overly warm. Many people go out on boats to enjoy nice weather and swimming in 60-70 degree water is no fun when the air temp is only in the lower seventies. We have had many windy weekends as well which only makes it less enjoyable unless you are a sailboater.

2. Gas prices are up, as well as labor costs to fix boats, prices to buy boats, and insurance is to protect them.

3. It is still early in the season. Many families with school age children just finished up their school obligations within the last few weeks and will most likely start to frequent the lakes region more.

We noticed many sailboats out this week and a lot of small runabouts, under 25 feet. Not much so to speak for the "ocean-racers" as you deem them. Just a lot of smaller boats that don't know the rules of the road.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 AM   #39
ApS

Red face That'd be us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
"...I would think that you of all people would be happier with the more stringent requirements and testing program for boaters education this year, yet your post makes it sound like it is an added nuisance impeding older boaters from enjoying the lake...???
On-line testing was a breeze—then they changed the rules.
Quote:
"...The rest of your post is a lot of opinions only..."
The very first post asks us "why traffic is down". A few opinions are offered.

From my dock—and even on the best of days—traffic is way down this year and is following a five-year trend. School kids appear to be out there already.

I haven't seen a reduction in gas costs, labor costs, new boat prices or insurance—ever.

Quote:
"...We noticed many sailboats out this week and a lot of small runabouts, under 25 feet. Not much so to speak for the "ocean-racers" as you deem them. Just a lot of smaller boats that don't know the rules of the road...."
Our "lake-boats" are all under 23-feet, so that'd be us in the way.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #40
tis

I thought the lake was quite busy today. I was very happy to see it. I think it was a normal Sat. as in past years.
While out on the lake today, I had a couple of questions in my mind and thought I could ask on this forum. First, there is a boat docked at Bear Island called Jersey Girl. Could that belong to our Jersey Girl here? Second, there was a helicopter on a raft also in the same area of Bear Island. Do those people always come to camp by helicopter? Anyone know anything else. I found it interesting and and curious where they come from, if they come every weekend, etc.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #41
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Late start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
I thought the lake was quite busy today. I was very happy to see it. I think it was a normal Sat. as in past years.
I'd agree. Seemed fairly busy today and, who'd a thunk it, mostly family runabouts. I thought they had all been scared off the lake. In any case I wonder how much the back to back timing of Bike Week and the 1'st Nascar race had to do with people not starting as early as "usual" ?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #42
gravy boat

Default Crowds??

We are lucky enough to live up here and noticed the weekends don't seem to be as busy as years past. Also, we were on vacation this past week and it seemed more like March than July! We took the girlies on the Mount on Tuesday night -- for the first time in our 4 years of taking the Family Night cruise we noticed that the cruise was virtually empty -- no lines at the buffet, no lines at the bar, etc. We also asked some Weir's business owners and employees if they noticed anything different with the number of vacationers -- each indicated that it was down from last year and the year before especially. One noted that the Fourth week was down from last year, and last year was down from the prior year.
Hope this isn't a trend for our local business owners!

We did notice more folks in the area today -- maybe this year will be a late July/early August crowd?
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #43
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
Today (14 July) has been very busy in Alton Bay -- the busiest I have seen in quite a while. It started out with the Loons, then the Party Boat, big boats, fast boats, jet skis, airplanes, and even the HOOD Blimp went by.

Must have been the perfect storm boating/flying conditions today.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #44
Weekend Pundit

Default Lake Traffic Is Way Down

At first I thought it was just me noticing this trend, but I've heard too many other folks saying the same thing. A few of the marina owners/personnel I've talked to have also said business is down considerably as compared to last year, and last year was down some from the previous year.

I was out on the lake today and traffic was a fraction fo what I would normally expect for noon on a Sunday, and that's taking into account the less than optimal weather we had.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #45
ApS

Default By ONE Measure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat
"...We are lucky enough to live up here and noticed the weekends don't seem to be as busy as years past..."
I live here all boating season, and use two criteria for how local weekend crowding is in my 3 square miles of view. I'd previously listed shoreline picnic anchoring—which is nearly absent—so here's the other:

Q: How many boats are operating simultaneously, crammed right between Wolfeboro's Camp Keewaydin and Tuftonboro's "Wingate" shore?

A: The "record for crammed boats" off Keewaydin is fourteen, making it way-impossible for any boat to be 150-feet from one another: just four Jet-Skis could not be in compliance there.

Saturday, a large cruiser was anchored in the gap there (!) but still, no more than two boats passed through together that day.

(Sunday was a "wash"—pardon the expression —with some very big lightning strikes).

Yes, boating is down—way down.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #46
chipj29

FWIW, I think traffic is down everywhere. I spend a lot of time on the Merrimack in Bow/Hooksett, and traffic has been very light down there all year. Everyone I have spoken to has noticed the same thing. But no one knows why...
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #47
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat
We also asked some Weir's business owners and employees if they noticed anything different with the number of vacationers -- each indicated that it was down from last year and the year before especially. One noted that the Fourth week was down from last year, and last year was down from the prior year.
Its funny how this always seems to work out, all the owners at the Weirs I've talked to say this years better then last. I've always found that no matter what the year or owner is, its always "too slow". I still say we have more land visitors then last year, or at least more hanging around longer.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote