Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Nauset

Default Sand bars that are not designated NRZ

I'd like to get information on sand bar areas on Winnipesaukee that are not designated NRZ. We have young kids and would like to anchor in close to have the swim platform in shallow water.

Last week we just got the boat anchored near the Governor’s Island bridge in about 4 feet of water and the MP came by and asked us to move it 150' from shore. When we got out to 150' we had 25' of water under the boat. That is a little intimidating for the little ones.

One place I have been told is Patrician Shores on Meredith Neck is not designated NRZ. Are there others that people will be willing to share?
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Lightbulb Nice sand bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset
One place I have been told is Patrician Shores on Meredith Neck is not designated NRZ. Are there others that people will be willing to share?
In Paugus Bay down south of the Margate Motel and not too far from the Burger King (Grid L-8 on my Bizer map) is a nice shallow spot that allows rafting. You can see the large blue shaded area on the map to help you locate it.

My guess is that you were over in Wentworth Cove when MP asked you to move 150' from shore to comply with the No Rafting rules. Not all NRZs get deep as quickly as it does in that area. Braun Bay area for instance is very shallow and perfect for the little ones. The NRZ anchoring distance from shore is only 75 feet in Braun Bay but you may want to stay further out from shore to avoid shining your prop in the sand . Lots of short people (kids) enjoy Braun Bay.

Not all sand bars are level with gradual slopes.

What is your reason for NOT wanting to anchor in a No Rafting Zone?
In any case, have fun and boat safely.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
AC2717

Default Which one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que
In Paugus Bay
The one near the margate?
I noticed that boats are not 150 feet off shore there?
how many boats can you raft up there?
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
jrc

On the east shore of Paugus bay, just south of Margate. No NRZ, shallow sandy bottom, but can be crowded and can be a lot of boat wakes.

Either West Alton or Braun Bay, they are NRZ, but can be shallow even when far enough away from shore. But they can be very crowded.

In front of Silver Sands Motel seems to be a good spot but I never tried it, expect wakes on busy days, there's over 300 boats in those marinas.

Melvin bay east of the marina also seems to be good spot. Shallow and sandy, but no one seems to go there. I've seen a lone crusier or two but it looks like it should be packed. It can get windy in there or maybe boat wakes are a problem.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
sa meredith

Default sand bar

I think the sand bar in Paugus Bay is one of the nicest spots on the entire lake to drop anchor and spend the afternoon. Very shallow well out into the water, plenty of room...just a nice spot for the kids to splash around.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
I think the sand bar in Paugus Bay is one of the nicest spots on the entire lake to drop anchor and spend the afternoon. Very shallow well out into the water, plenty of room...just a nice spot for the kids to splash around.
Is that the same location that jrc suggested? Next time out we will try a few of these spots. We will also go back to Braun bay. Just need to get there earlier.
Thanks
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Kamper

I've been to that spot near G.I. bridge many times. I guess that MP officer was told to really press the rules that day. Next time come a little later, dont be the first to drop anchor and make sure you are well clear of the channel.

That large beach and the property across the street has been sold to a developer. They may have "connections" and want to discourage us rif-raft from interfering with the view until the lots are sold. Someone should talk to them about the docks and swim line that didnt get taken in last year. Be careful not to get snagged if you go there.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Melvin bay east of the marina also seems to be good spot. Shallow and sandy, but no one seems to go there.
It's somewhat sandy, but there's a good deal of tall individual plant growth every 25 feet or so. You can swim in it, but it's icky when wrapped around your legs.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote