Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Ethanol

Can someone tell me what marinas are selling ethonol fee gasoline? Is it just a couple or most of them.

Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Does Ethonol need a sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Can someone tell me what marinas are selling ethonol fee gasoline? Is it just a couple or most of them.

Thanks
I filled my boat at Fullers in Moultonboro last week and checked for a sign on the pump. I did not see anything mentioning MTBE or Ethenol. I assume that means that neither additive is in there, but am not sure my assumptions are correct.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Paugus Bay Resident

3.39 at Irwins (no ethanol)
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
secondcurve

I guess it is safe to say there is no ethenol on the lake this year. I can't imagine that any of the marinas would be selling it if others weren't.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
robmac

the marinas aren't selling ethanol enriched fuel because of the damage it does. some manufacturers state in the owners manual not to use it at all(outboards)
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
fpartri497

Default gas price

$3.59 @ west alton marine tuesday
Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
Water Camper

Default Lakeport Gas

Gas was $3.18 last Monday 5/7/2007 at Lakeport Landing.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
jrc

Check this out from the state:

http://www.des.state.nh.us/ard/mobil...EthanolFAQ.pdf
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
ossipeeboater

we are fortunate that in Belknap and Carrol counties there is no EPA requirement for Ethanol to be blended and since they are getting there fuel from Portland not Revere it's coming in without E blended in.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
islandAl

Default Octane rating

since MtBE was banned in all of NH as of Jan. 1, 2007 (per the link info in earlier message) what is being added to make the octane rating if they are not using Ethanol?
As far as Fullers, I recall seeing the 10% ethanol label last year. But they changed ownership since I recall looking.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #11
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandAl
since MtBE was banned in all of NH as of Jan. 1, 2007 (per the link info in earlier message) what is being added to make the octane rating if they are not using Ethanol?
As far as Fullers, I recall seeing the 10% ethanol label last year. But they changed ownership since I recall looking.

MTBE/Ethanol was only an EPA requirement for the southern counties and into MA, central and northern NH as well as Maine did not fall under the smog reducing requirements therefore did not have to blend MTBE or Ethanol. Thats where we got lucky in that the marinas can still buy the gas barged into Portland, some of the stations on land I have seen go to E fuel probably because they get it supplied from Revere not Portland.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
robmac

MBTE was added to gasoline to clean emissions, however it was found to contaminate ground and well water so badly the state banned it as did all others. Ethanol was added to cut down on emissions of HC(hydrocarbons-unburnt fuel) not for fuel economy or your pocketbook
Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
secondcurve

Thanks guys. This all makes sense. Will the lake be ethenol free forever or will it switch over in the future. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
robmac

manufacturers are changing fuel systems on boat to better deal with ethanol.However you'll still have to be aware of build up of moisture because of it.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
KPW

Pier 19 has ethanol free gas @ $3.39/gal
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
masssteve

Channel has a big banner up "ethanol free"
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
Aquadeziac

Default Science Experiment

I didn't believe this until I did it myself. Pour about 12-14oz of "10% Ethanol" blended gas into a clean, dry, clear soda bottle and sit it on a shelf and watch it over the next two months. The results will amaze you. Then think about the gas in your boat, jetski, even RV or collector car when it sits for the off season.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #18
secondcurve

Does anyone know how long Winnipesaukee will remain ethanol free? It looks like this year is in the bag. What about next year?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
I didn't believe this until I did it myself. Pour about 12-14oz of "10% Ethanol" blended gas into a clean, dry, clear soda bottle and sit it on a shelf and watch it over the next two months. The results will amaze you. Then think about the gas in your boat, jetski, even RV or collector car when it sits for the off season.
What happens? Does it separate? Can it be re-mixed?
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Ya Aqua,Do we have to wait 2 months to find out what happens or are you going to tell us?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #21
Aquadeziac

Default Results

It separates and forms a gel, much like diesel fuel when it gets cold.Almost looks like snot. It will not remix. A friend has steered me to a product that induces some sort of chemical reaction and remixes the mixture. He has seen it demonstrated and it does work. I am trying to get a product name. It is just being released on the market and there are not many distributors around. I am not so worried about my boat sitting last winter with Marina gas as I am about my two jetskis and convertable which sat with blended fuel. I will post a product name when I get one and if possible where to get it.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #22
robmac

I have seen the product you spoke of demonstrated but will wait to see what affects it has on the fuel system.you know for every improvement you find down the road the bad side of it.anyone remember MBTE the supposed miricle for gasolene that is now banned,Ethanol for all the good it does the enviroment what does it damage elsewhere? I drain the fuel out of my classic cars,snowmobiles,motorcycle etc.so I don't have those worries
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #23
Lakegeezer

Default Is Ethanol good for the environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac
Ethanol for all the good it does the enviroment, what does it damage elsewhere?
What good does ethanol do for the environment? I thought it took more energy to produce than it provides and doesn't burn any cleaner than oil based fuel. The only advantage I'm aware of is that it reduces money sent out of the country to the rougue states that supply raw crude.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #24
robmac

The Ethanol dilutes the hydrocarbons in gas so that the HC emission output is lower(one of the 3 things they check for on an emission test)
Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Very good LG and on top of that it's subsidized by you and me.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
jeffk

Unhappy Now I have a problem

So all this leaves me with a problem. One of my jet skis requires high octane gas. Most (all?) marinas only pump the standard octane. My solution previously was to fill an 11 gal. container with high octane at a gas station and haul it down to the docks. However if ethanol = bad, and all standard gas stations are supplying ethanol in their gas, and marinas are only pumping standard octane --- Where can I get non ethanol, high octane gas???

Also, is this a problem for all 2 stokes? How about snowmobiles sitting for the winter. Lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed whackers, chain saws, ...???

These problems are what happens when the Powers That Be don't think out the solutions they shove down our throats. Its like the daylight savings time "solution" that went into affect this year. Many devices were handling daylight savings changes "automatically, and now they no longer work properly. Oh, thanks so much Uncle Sam.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #27
Aquadeziac

First of all most all Marinas I've seen have 89 octane, which is equivelent to mid-grade on the road(regular being 87 octane). At one time I believe there were a very limited number of Marinas selling 93 octane. You might check that out. Anyone out there know? And the problem affects both 2 strokes & 4 strokes. ANYthing that is stored in an off season could be affected.....boats, motorcycles, RVs,lawnmowers, snowblowers, classic cars, home generators, farm equipment....the list is endless. And believe it or not, you can even see a visible change in as little as 3-4 weeks.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #28
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Ethanol benefits ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
What good does ethanol do for the environment? I thought it took more energy to produce than it provides and doesn't burn any cleaner than oil based fuel. The only advantage I'm aware of is that it reduces money sent out of the country to the rougue states that supply raw crude.
Well it's pretty debatable as to how much energy you "get" from corn derived ethanol here in the US. Last report I read had a return of maybe 30%. Compare that to gas where you retain something like 90% of the energy. As for diluting the HCs in gas ... guess I'm not sure what that means. Ethanol is a hydrocarbon fuel. Burn it and CO2 and water (ideally) are released into the atmosphere just like with gas. The only benefit is that if the ethanol was made from grown plants (corn, sugar cane, etc) then this carbon came from the atmosphere to start with ... so it's "carbon neutral" in GWspeak. Since it has less energy per gallon than gas does, expect less mpg. Especially since most engines aren't optimized (too low a compression ratio) to make optimal use of the higher octane ethanol has. Basically it's mixed with gas because it carries some oxygen and this was supposed to help reduce pollution. Oxygenates like ethanol or MTBE may have helped with older, non-feedback engines but these days it does nothing. Except replace some gas, give politicians a chance to say "We did something" and make ADM just a bit richer.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #29
TomC

Default premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
First of all most all Marinas I've seen have 89 octane, which is equivelent to mid-grade on the road(regular being 87 octane). At one time I believe there were a very limited number of Marinas selling 93 octane. You might check that out. Anyone out there know?

up until this year, my boat had a 4.3L Mercruiser that dieseled on after ignition cut off unless premium was in the tank. I got it at Y-Landing (merideth) and at Goodhue&Hawkins (wolfeboro) and the octane was 93...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #30
RLW

Default Question

What type of stabilizer are you all using in the new gas. I've heard the Stabl isn't good in it as it breaks down. Anyone heard anything as such. I have Googled and everything else and can't find a thing on it.