Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
onlywinni

Default Baja Marine Lives On...!!!

Well it appears that Baja Marine is Alive and Well once again.

The New Baja Marine site is up and running:

http://bajamarine.com/

Of course it is Baja by Fountain or maybe Baja by Fountain and Donzi now:

Liberty Investments, which acquired both Donzi and Pro-Line earlier this year will assist in financing the reorganization of Fountain and pay off its creditors.

Company founder Reggie Fountain will be retained as president and CEO, and will continue taking boat orders for both Fountain and Baja brands.

--------

Good news for Channel Marine I guess...they can continue their tradition of offering some of the finest Performance Boats to the Winni Community.
onlywinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onlywinni For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-04-2010), colt17 (03-06-2010), NoRegrets (03-04-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-04-2010), robmac (03-04-2010), Wolfeboro_Baja (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
NoRegrets

This is a promising sign that a group is making such a big investment. I trust they know what they are doing and maybe this is a sign of a better year for the marinas on the lake!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
robmac

I for one certainly hope so,I don't think IMHO that alot of them can take much more financially before drastic changes are forced.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
OCDACTIVE

Great to hear. Hopefully things have turned and powerboat manufactorers and marinas can begin a strong comeback and thrive!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
onlywinni

For those of us that are fans of Performance Boat this seems like a Positive sign. I would also agree this is hopefully representative of the entire boating industry on the rebound.

Another thing to note is that Mercury Marine/Mercruiser has developed Emissions Legal Engines that run Catalytic Converters so to speak in the exhausts. My 08 Outlaw runs a catalyst 496 HO...Mercruiser was able to clean these motors up and still offer the same power levels...They report a 75 percent reduction in hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides... Very Impressive. If you want more info:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...s/mpi496ho.php

Last edited by onlywinni; 03-04-2010 at 03:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onlywinni For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-04-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-04-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
robmac

Just wait and see what the replacement cost of the catalyst is. OUCH And they do fail.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Just wait and see what the replacement cost of the catalyst is. OUCH And they do fail.
Agreed.. I still want to see how they plan to cool them. They must get extremely hot. My guess is they must attach them to the engines internal cooling system or through the raw water system. (another thing to flush or break )

But it is a big step in the right direction. It pretty much eliminates carbon emissions. These HP engines will have less impact on the enviorment then that of a 15 horsepower 2 stroke outboard from the 1980's. Just shows how the powerboat industry gets in front of and works to make our lakes and waterways greener.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
LongBay

Default Too Fast For This Lake

Too bad the speed limit is here to stay. I don't think you will see many new Fountains and Baja's spinning around the lake this year.

As for the low emissions, it would be nice if the government offered a 2 for 4 incentive (they could call it Cash for Sinkers). Personally, I think the two strokes and big wake cabin cruisers do more damage to the lake than performance boats.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Too bad the speed limit is here to stay. I don't think you will see many new Fountains and Baja's spinning around the lake this year.

As for the low emissions, it would be nice if the government offered a 2 for 4 incentive (they could call it Cash for Sinkers). Personally, I think the two strokes and big wake cabin cruisers do more damage to the lake than performance boats.
Hi Long Bay and welcome to the forum.. Careful on the speed limit discussion. It is taboo here. But keep your ears open on the subject.

As far as emissions and enviormental impact you hit the nail on the head there. I know you were making a pun on the cash for sinkers but why not a government program for the marine industry??? there are plenty of programs for everything else out there... A program for the marine industry would have ramifications on the entire tourism industry.

I guess Obama hasn't thought that far ahead.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
onlywinni

A little more on the Catalyst engines...

To your concerns:

Fully water-jacketed exhaust manifold retains the monolith..These engines also have double walled exhaust systems with cooling water flowing between the them,this keeps the outside of the exhaust cool while allowing the catalytic converter to run at the correct temperature. The Mercruiser site also says you do not do anything different for winterization-so no draining..I am going to have to take a closer look this spring.

Read all about it here:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/...ns_Control.pdf

I would be happy to show off my Catalyst 496 HO at the Meredith Docks anytime this upcoming season.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onlywinni For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-04-2010), LIforrelaxin (03-05-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-04-2010), robmac (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post

I would be happy to show off my Catalyst 496 HO at the Meredith Docks anytime this upcoming season.
Better yet, the NASWA beach bar is the best place to show your catalyst.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Sounds like a plan.. Just say when!!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
NoRegrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post

I do not want any offers from the government! They give money to programs that they took from me and other producers!

I have a lawn mower, weed waker, and brush blower that are all 2 stroke engines. My Cruiser likes to travel at 30 MPH and does not create a wake that is more than a windy lake day. This is a recreational lake that is being changed or controlled by some that feel the past is where everyone should regress to. I am not impressed with pointing fingers at cruisers or 2 strokers......

We all need to share the public resource with respect to each individuals passion.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (03-04-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
LongBay

Default Stuck in the Channel

I guess you never got stuck going through the Channel right behind a 2 stroke engine (there is a good reason 2 strokes are not allowed in Yellowstone Park anymore...and yes I have been stuck right behind a 2 stroke riding in Yellowstone and it is not a pleasant experience as well) or rafted in a cove when the Sophie C or Doris E came cruising by. I would not want to be a loon nesting in one of those coves.

If you ask boaters what Winni boaters dislike the most....it is the cross chop on a weekend.. people keep buying bigger boats to deal with it...I would say second is the jet ski cutting right in front of you as they swing around to go back over your wake.

My point is everyone is pointing the finger at fast boats and they think their boat does no harm, they have perfect driving skills, etc. What it comes down to is if everyone is courteous to others then the boating experience will be better for all.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LongBay For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-05-2010), LIforrelaxin (03-05-2010), NoRegrets (03-05-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-05-2010), robmac (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
NoRegrets

Tolerance is the key. Stuck behind a 2 stroke is a self induced problem. Stop and wait till they are far enough away so the painful smoke is gone. There will be plenty of others that will be happy to take your position. There are fewer and fewer every year (thankfully!).

Take a holistic view of the lake. Water becomes turbulent if you have 10,000 boats cruising the lake in a weekend. One cannot expect to eliminate cross waves. If it is windy and you have a smaller boat, do not expect a pleasant cruise to the Weirs and complain or point fingers. The process of buying a bigger boat is not only due to the ride factor though. There are personal values and success criteria that drive the upgrade process. I would not want to place my values on others.

The statement of Courtesy to others is so true and if all consciously practiced it many of the charges would never need to be discussed.

It is getting warmer and I am hoping for a great year! I had new 4 blade props installed after the season and I hope to get better slow speed control as well reduce the time to get out of the hole.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Indeeed, I would be there.... I really want ot check one of these out. I know of course we are all eventually going to end up with one, if we buy new boats....
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
VtSteve

California has had the catalyst regs since the beginning of 2008. I think the 4.3 L engines were exempt for some reason.

The boat next to mine at the marina is an Evinrude E-Tec, a big one at that. Seems very clean. Two strokes can be clean.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
California has had the catalyst regs since the beginning of 2008. I think the 4.3 L engines were exempt for some reason.

The boat next to mine at the marina is an Evinrude E-Tec, a big one at that. Seems very clean. Two strokes can be clean.
Ditto that for Tohatsu direct injected, two-stroke outboards, branded Tohatsu TLDI....seem to burn a lot cleaner than your average two-stroke....www.tohatsu.com... biggest selling outboard name in Japan, where they are made...