Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
OCDACTIVE

Default Best Boat Wax?

I just got the new Shurhold Dual Action Polishing buffer. You may have seen it on Ship Shape TV... I can not wait to use it. I have found the best wash, polish and vinyl products to be Leverage products, but I haven't yet found the best marine wax to be used with the buffer. Of course they want you to use their brand but I didn't know if anyone has a great wax they would recommend?

Thanks

PS: I also used noxon metal polish to clean any oxidation spots off my prop etc. Anyone recommend a protective polish to protect your prop?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
robmac

I have several buffers including dual action. I use the same cleaners and waxes that I would use doing it manually(no machine) Key is no different,make sure sureface is CLEAN before waxing.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I have several buffers including dual action. I use the same cleaners and waxes that I would use doing it manually(no machine) Key is no different,make sure sureface is CLEAN before waxing.
my boat is spotless.. It is not left in the water and it is washed and polished every weekend when it comes out of the water and waxed every two weeks. But I haven't found a wax yet that I have the "wow" factor as I did when I found the leverage marine products for my vinyl and polish.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
fatlazyless

For my small fiberglass sailboat, found some Maguire's yellow canuba wax in the VIP-Laconia bargain table. On a small sailboat it seems like you can tell the differance between a waxed hull, and a non waxed hull, as it glides along. The waxed surface seems to repel water better, plus it looks all nice & shiney, too.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For my small fiberglass sailboat, found some Maguire's yellow canuba wax in the VIP-Laconia bargain table. On a small sailboat it seems like you can tell the differance between a waxed hull, and a non waxed hull, as it glides along. The waxed surface seems to repel water better, plus it looks all nice & shiney, too.
thank you. I have heard of Maguires.. Never used it before so I might have to give it a go.

A waxed boat always seems to move much better in the water. It may just be our sub-conscious but I would like to think you get a little more out of the boat.

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
RLW

I find that the wax someone else puts on your boat is the very best.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Been waxing boats for 50 years

WOW! I am dating myself!

I have use many boat wax products. Most of them gone.

The West Marine teflon wax is great bottom wax. Washing off the scum and algae is a breeze. I have been using Cullinite for years. 20 years ago I switched to Maquire as it seems to last a lot longer. A few years ago I was recomended by a reputable professional marine restorer to use the 3M line of marine products. I am very impress with how long it beads. All season!

It is important that you have a squeaky clean boat before you wax. The scum will make the wax come off harder and streak the boat. 3M has excellent cleaning products. They also have excellent fibreglas restorers. The finese cut shines like glass!

West Marine carrys the Cullinite, Maguire and 3M products. The store in Waltham Mass., just off the 93, 95, 128 corridor is a great place to shop.

Otherwise NH folks can order online, by phone, or visit the Portsmouth, Seabrook stores. Portsmouth is geared toward sailing and the Seabrook store steers toward power boats.

Powerboat Magazine online has an excellent article on how to detail your boat.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
WOW! I am dating myself!

I have use many boat wax products. Most of them gone.

The West Marine teflon wax is great bottom wax. Washing off the scum and algae is a breeze. I have been using Cullinite for years. 20 years ago I switched to Maquire as it seems to last a lot longer. A few years ago I was recomended by a reputable professional marine restorer to use the 3M line of marine products. I am very impress with how long it beads. All season!

It is important that you have a squeaky clean boat before you wax. The scum will make the wax come off harder and streak the boat. 3M has excellent cleaning products. They also have excellent fibreglas restorers. The finese cut shines like glass!

West Marine carrys the Cullinite, Maguire and 3M products. The store in Waltham Mass., just off the 93, 95, 128 corridor is a great place to shop.

Otherwise NH folks can order online, by phone, or visit the Portsmouth, Seabrook stores. Portsmouth is geared toward sailing and the Seabrook store steers toward power boats.

Powerboat Magazine online has an excellent article on how to detail your boat.

Thanks man.. I read that as well.. Thats right 3M... that's the one I was drawing a blank on.. Buying it now.. I already have great cleaning products from Leverage.

PS. you wrote waltham but I think you mean Woburn Mass.. I used to live right near there!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
lawn psycho

Default Wax

Mequiars Flagship. As you may know, carnuba waxes can yellow your gel coat over time. The Mequiars stuff if a polymer wax.

If you have a lot of oxidation, start with a cleaner, then wax.

I have an old orbital buffer that works perfect on my cars and boat. I couldn't even tell you what speed it turns at as the stickers fell off after the first use. It is an old no-name buffer I got at a Sam's club in the early 90s.

Saves a ton of time and I get a deeper shine than I could ever do by hand. I apply my cleaner and/ or wax by hand and then buff it out.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
bigdog

Default Best Boat Wax?

I stopped using wax years ago....... I personally use a polymer base products.

The one product I found that seems to do it all, at least for my needs,
is 'Race Glaze'. Amazing product ! Can't say enough about it !.

You may only be able to find this 'online'. I found a local distributor here in Central Mass. carries this product. Somewhat pricey $16-20, depending on where you purchase.

Just my 2 cnts.

Bigdog

Last edited by bigdog; 01-25-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: grammar - spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
robmac

I have used the Race Glaze on my racecar ( bought it at a track ) and it did work great.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Last summer's cold, wet & humid weather combined with the canuba wax to do a fast job of growing black mold-mildew on the waxed fiberglass. Scrubbing it down with some clorox and water removed the mold/mildew.

Wonder if a polymer based wax can compete with canuba when it comes to growing mold-mildew in the New Hampshire summer? I store the boat on top of a dock on a small support where it constantly gets soaked by every incoming wave for May-June-July and maybe August.

It has no name yet so maybe I should name it the 'Moldy Oldy'......not a bad name for a small 13' Wingstar sailboat made in about 1988....plus that will fit on the transom.....and I use those 3" reflective letters from Wal-Mart for about 55 cents each. They work good!

....a little drum role here.....all hands salute! .... rat-ata-tat-tat ... the 'Moldy Oldy' is hereby commissioned ..... in absentia ..... cruising Buoy 3 to Governor's Island and back!

For a 13' boat it has giant white & blue sails & cost $850 last July. When I flip it over .... and I definately will ..... it seems to be a very flippy, hi-performance go-fast sailboat ..... a little assistance will be appreciated from a passing motorboat. (It has no motor.) ....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-25-2010 at 03:09 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I have used the Race Glaze on my racecar ( bought it at a track ) and it did work great.
Not saying that it didn't work but I have been told (again not saying this is true) that you normally do not want to use automobile products on boats.

I was reading in one of my "boating essentials books" (hey I gotta do something while waiting for summer) that the wax for automobiles are designed to protect the paint and enamal of a car where as marine wax and polish are for gel coats of boats and work differently.

I am not a chemist nor do I know whether this is even true or just a marketing ploy to pay more for marine products.

Anyway, maybe a professional can chime on here?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Nufinish

I can't recall which one of the boat manufacturers it was but I remember reading in a dealer's bulletin to detail the boats with Nufinish.

NuFinish, I believe, is silicone based. Much like Armor All. If you talk to a body repairman, they hate the stuff. Paint will not stick to silicone products and they can only be remove by sanding it off.

Acrylic based product, like Liquid Glass will be better. Acrylic products requires a super clean base. That's is why there is a LG preconditioner.

I am satified with the 3M products. They last the whole season.

Many marine waxes have common properties. They are designed to provide a higher gloss finish, protect your topside, whether it is gelcoat, fiberglass or topside paint, and provide UV protection from the sun's rays. Most boat wax is a "wax-on, wax-off" process that is fairly easy to apply. Marine Wax can come in either a liquid or a paste form. Our boat wax manufacturers include 3M, Collinite, Trewax, Simoniz and Interlux. 3M marine Ultra Perfromance Paste Wax will leave a protective high gloss coating on fiberglass, gelcoat, marine topside paints painted aluminum, and metal. Contains the unique 3M polymer technology which provides the durability of an acryllic with the soil release and water beading properties of a fluoropolymer and silicone. The easy on/off formula will save time and effort and leave your boat with long lasting protection that retards UV light damage.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 01-25-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Added value
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
onlywinni

Leverage Polish

Leverage Marine Polish works fantastic...it is so easy to apply and does not contain wax that will turn that beautiful hull of yours yellow....

http://www.leveragepolish.com/products.php#top

You can throw the Leverage on that Prop to keep it nice as well..

Easiest product I have ever applied....it does blind some fellow boaters, because the shine is so bright
onlywinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post
Leverage Polish

Leverage Marine Polish works fantastic...it is so easy to apply and does not contain wax that will turn that beautiful hull of yours yellow....

http://www.leveragepolish.com/products.php#top

You can throw the Leverage on that Prop to keep it nice as well..

Easiest product I have ever applied....it does blind some fellow boaters, because the shine is so bright
Yes... I have the entire line of leverage products but they don't make a wax for a buffer.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
OCDACTIVE

Thank you for your responses. Just bought:

3M Marine Restorer And Wax
Price: $24.99

OK. Here is another question.

I was always told that waxing is a must for protection. You should do that and then you can throw polish on top of that as many times as you like.

I was just told that polish is also a cleaner and that you want to spray polish then you want to wax??? This doesn't seem right..

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
BroadHopper

Default Polish, cleaners and waxes.

All three products works as it they are intended to do.

A cleaner cleans the surface of any grime, grease and stains.

A polish has minute abrasives that shines the surface. 'Heavy' polish are more abrasive and doesn't shine as well as 'light' abrasive. I would avoid polish as much as possible as it wears away gelcoats or paint. Just use it when you want to restore the old lustre. Fibreglas restorers are a combination of heavy polish and a penetrating oil that restores the oxidation damage in the gelcoat or paint.

Wax/Protectant is the protective coating. This should go on last.

I would use the cleaner first to get the finish clean. If it needs polishing, this is a good time to polish. Make sure you give it a good wash after polishing as polish can smear the wax job. Then wax the boat.

I don't use the buffer for waxing as a buffer can leave 'burn' marks. If you clean the boat right, the wax should just wipe off!

The combination products such as cleaner/polisher cleaner/wax etc. Does not do as good a job as the stand alone products.

Just take a look at my 22 year old boat. Looks like new!