Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Piston

Default Any info on Weeres Pontoon boats? Looking at a used one to buy and need some advice.

Looking for a little "tooning" advice

My wife and I have always enjoyed coming up to the lake for some boating, and up until now, we've always either rented a pontoon boat or taken my 'family' Mako center console.

We have wanted to buy our own pontoon boat for a while now, and weren't really planning on actually biting the bullet for another year or two when we move up there permanently, but an opportunity came up that I'm having a hard time turning down

I'd like some thoughts/opinions/advice from some of your more experienced with lake boats. I've been a boater all my life (and made driving ships my career) and I'm very familiar with boats in general but not too familiar with pontoon boats.

A family friend of ours is now selling their 2004 Weeres Sundeck 220. It is regular pontoon (not tritoon) and has a Mercury 115hp 4 stroke engine. The boat has 150 hrs on it and has always been stored in a heated garage when not in the water. The owner is meticulous with everything he owns and I know he takes care of his equipment. They bought the boat brand new.

He has added a second fuel tank with all approved filler tubes and things like that (my point is it's done right) and he's even gone through the entire boat and double nutted every single bolt on the boat as to make sure they didn't come lose Probably a little overboard in my book but it's an example of how he takes care of the boat.

My question is, can you guys give me any insight on this boat? I've never heard of Weeres before but the boat seems well built. The fit and finish seems to be good quality and the boat furniture seems thick and plush, not like some of the pontoon boats we've rented that almost seem like vinyl covered plywood, although some were very nice as well. We've rented "Premier" boats from Winnisquam before and were very happy with those, and this one sort of reminds me as similar quality.

Are Weere's boats good/bad/indifferent? My initial thoughts were to hold off on buying a boat but we figure it's a great opportunity for us and I think a fair price. I am worried I'll regret buying it in the future, and barring any major flaws with the brand we are leaning towards buying it. I know the engine is good as I worked at a boat yard/marina for a few years that serviced Merc's and I always like them.

It has the full width sunpad on the stern which my wife loves, as well as the reclined style bench seats in the bow areas, not sure what they are called. Sorry I didn't take any pics. The owner will sell us the boat for 13,500. Is this a fair price?

I couldn't find the "sundeck" model as I don't think they make it anymore, but it seems similar to the "legacy" on the Weeres website from what I can tell, except it doesn't have stern entry.

Thanks for your thoughts and helping us realize our Winni boating dream! Anything special I should look for? Sorry for the longish post.
-Matt
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote