Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
friar92

Default New Propane Supplier and tank perhaps?

I am tired of the poor customer service and price gouging I receive from Energy North. The tank is owned by Energy North.

Has anyone else bought their way out of an Energy North owned tank? Understand I will have to pay, but will be worth it to extricate myself from this company.
friar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Reilly

Default Tank Ownership

The new comp will buy the tank & do inspection
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar92 View Post
I am tired of the poor customer service and price gouging I receive from Energy North. The tank is owned by Energy North.

Has anyone else bought their way out of an Energy North owned tank? Understand I will have to pay, but will be worth it to extricate myself from this company.
Ask for a quote from another supplier. Usually they will buy they tank from your current one.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
RLW

Smile

friar92, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in October 2011. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see ya back posting. Always like to see older members coming back to join in.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
BraunBayGuy

Default Propane Supplier

I also had Energy North and dumped them 8 years ago for same reason. I have Eastern now at home and lake. I also joined Our Town Energy Alliance and I am paying 2.33 per gallon for propane this year. I had an above ground tank with Energy North and they came and picked it up when I switched. My in laws and one of my friends had Energy North with underground tanks and they also switched to Eastern and OTEA. They have to pay something like a $100 or less yearly maintenance fee. Well worth it. OTEA is $25 to join and $10 for each additional home.
BraunBayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
TheProfessor

All tanks are leased and not owned with all propane providers.

Some providers charge customer a "rental" fee as they in turn are actually renting the tank. Some don't.

When switching companies, the new company will place their tank in place of the older tank.

Then it is up to you to contact the previous company to remove tank.

Note: They will refund for propane left in previous tank - for a fee. Used to be $75.00. Some charge a "removal" fee also.
When I switched, I paid the new company $20.00 to place old tank near street. And left it at that. I was never charged any fees as tank was low in propane. Yes, the few gallons of propane that I had paid for left in old tank was "given" to the old company. But I was not charged any fees whatsoever.

Your best bet is to do all in warm weather with no snow.

You can purchase your own tank and then set up accounts with a dozen propane providers and get the daily cheapest price/cost. But purchasing the tank is quite expensive and NOT for everyone.
Note: there is a posting about owning tanks in another thread - so no point in rehashing all of this here.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Whimsey

Default Tank Buyout

I bought my underground tank from Energy North due to high prices note their service. I figured about a 2 year payback, but I use a couple of thousand gallons per year. I'm using Eastern now via OTEA.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
kauriel

I locked in for Eastern through Our Town as well although I've also heard of others in my area of MA who locked in directly with Eastern for less. Eastern tends to have high prices so it's good to look into options to lock in a lower rate.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
I locked in for Eastern through Our Town as well although I've also heard of others in my area of MA who locked in directly with Eastern for less. Eastern tends to have high prices so it's good to look into options to lock in a lower rate.
Eastern seems to have the lowest price - for me anyway.

All propane companies have a tier system.
Amount used.
Credit report.
And on and on.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote