Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Keeping Summer Boredom at Bay

In another thread summer boredom for kids came up. I was thinking it would be nice for everyone to share their ideas for keeping the kiddos happy and active.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Scott

I've got some grass they can cut and plenty of weeds for them to pull. If they want, they can also resurface my driveway and check the mousetraps in the basement.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
Lin

Great thread to swap stories/ideas with. Our kids are teens now but have been coming to the lake since they were babies. We have a TV/VCR unit for tapes but that's about all as we don't have cable, yes no computer either. So if it's not a movie on a rainy day we have tons of board games and card games. We also have bikes, canoes and kayaks they can use within a limited distance. When they were younger we would bring the brio train sets with us, lincoln log/Ft apache type toys and they would always bring their favorite toy. We always tried to keep it simple. If it needed batteries we usually didn't bring it. It's a long way out to buy expensive batteries. When they were really little (toddler stages) it was the babydoll/carriage set or the tonka/lil tykes type trucks they could push around. Always have paddle games, hula hoops and jump ropes around. Then of course it's the fishing poles or hikes around the lake on nice days or even those quiet mist days. Oh yea and we usually give them a camera and film and have them take photos of our weekends and vacations at the lake. A few times a year we will make our way down to the Weirs for a "day out" at the slides, pier, mini golf. We've also try to make one or two white mtn attractions and have the kids collect either the banner or the snowglobe of the attraction for a collection. Other times we go to the wildlife center in Holderness or the Loon Center in Moultonborough (the annual Loonfest is great for kids!) Rambled on here too long.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Joe Kerr

Lightbulb You want Active Kids? You want Happy Kids? OK, read on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
In another thread summer boredom for kids came up. I was thinking it would be nice for everyone to share their ideas for keeping the kiddos happy and active.
Well RG,

How old are the kids? I might suggest what is obvious, magazines, puzzles, cards, board games, computer games, outdoor games, badmitten, horse shoes, volleyball, catch, walks, indoor bowling, lazer tag, library, sightseeing, movies, mini-golf, people watching, water slides, driving around (car or boat), anchoring at Braun Bay. I'm sure others can add to the list (and I see some already did while I was typing this) and tailor it to the age(s) of the children involved with many more ideas.

Then there is the old stand by: Find some things in your pantry or the store shelves with plenty of any form of the below mentioned substance. If you are very brave, add a caffeinated beverage or three for an even more active time. Kids will be happy and active as you requested. Be careful what you wish for .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperdictionary.com
SUGAR:Dictionary Entry and Meaning
Pronunciation: 'shûgur

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] a white crystalline carbohydrate used as a sweetener and preservative
[n] an essential structural component of living cells and source of energy for animals; includes simple sugars with small molecules as well as macromolecular substances; are classified according to the number of monosaccharide groups they contain
[v] sweeten with sugar; "sugar your tea"

Synonyms: carbohydrate, refined sugar, saccharide, saccharify

See Also: beet sugar, beet sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, cane sugar, caramel, caramelized sugar, corn sugar, deoxyribose, dulcify, dulcorate, edulcorate, granulated sugar, invert sugar, jaggary, jaggery, jagghery, loaf sugar, lump sugar, macromolecule, maple sugar, monosaccharide, monosaccharose, oligosaccharide, polyose, polysaccharide, ribose, simple sugar, sugar loaf, sugarloaf, supermolecule, sweeten, sweetener, sweetening, wood sugar, xylose
Usually kids prefer candy, cakes, cookies, ice cream and sodas to deliver the above mentioned "white crystalline" substance.

Good luck!

Last edited by Joe Kerr; 06-30-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Joe Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
mets3007

I have been coming to Lakes region area since i was 7 now I am 23 i have a few ideas. 1. take them to funspot 2. take them to daytona fun parks of they like go karts or mini golf. 3 any mini golf course. 4. 1 hr boat ride at weirs on the Doris E 5 the scenic train 6. ice cream at any one of the establishments there are. I hope these ideas help.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
Mr. V

Videogames.

Odds are, junior has a Sega, X-Box, Game Boy etc.; if so, take him / her to the video rental store and let them select a game or two.

If they don't have their hardware with them, but know how to use it, you can rent hardware and software at many stores.

Kids today are wired...and not just on coffee.

And let's not forget allowing them access to a computer for e-mailing friends, flaming at message boards, and surfing the net.

Where in the Lakes Region can they access the web?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
GTO

Default boredom

Have them lay on the dock at night and watch for UFO's
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

My guys are pretty good about keeping themselves amused. I just thought it might be a helpful, fun thread for some. There are so many creative people visiting the forum. Something might come up that hasn't been thought of to keep the young people happy.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 07-01-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
Lin

Hi GTO, you're not that far off. I subscribe to spaceweather and when we get notification of celestrial events I make the kids lug their telescope and binoculars out.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #10
Frdxplorer

I have read all these old fashioned responses and just don't get it. I am only 23 but when I have kids I will raise & occupy them the only way I see fit. First, place said child three and one half feet from a 27" television/DVD combo set. Place a collection of 20 or so DVDs (preferably spongebob squarepants) next to the child and allow him to pick whichever one he wants. Be sure to reinforce in that child's mind that it is perfectly ok for him to switch DVD should he get bored with his initial selection so long as he doesn't ask Mommy & Daddy to switch it for him. Have as a backup at least 3 different video game systems with a variety of violent games such as Grand Theft Auto. Should he manage to still get bored, tell him that he shoud go and talk to his friends via instant messenger. Just make sure you take away any balls or outdoor toys that he might be able to break things with. All thsi should give you plenty of time to peacfully continue reading up on the causes of Attention Deficit Disorder while sitting on the dock.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Meteor & satellite watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin
Hi GTO, you're not that far off. I subscribe to spaceweather and when we get notification of celestrial events I make the kids lug their telescope and binoculars out.
As often as possible we sit on the end of the dock and watch the heavens for meteors and satellites. You usually get 2 or 3 of the former and many of the latter (check www.heavens-above.com) on any given clear night. Of course a cocktail or 3 is needed for maximum visual acuity (not). Problem is I don't think many kids will appreciate the wait/reward ratio. Viewing the Moon is more immediate and intriguing, with binos or even with a cheapee telescope.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:48 PM   #12
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
As often as possible we sit on the end of the dock and watch the heavens for meteors and satellites. You usually get 2 or 3 of the former and many of the latter .
Our place is practically in total darkness but the campfire at night. We can see the stars and the satelites really clear. We usually do contests who can spot the first satelite or how many one can spot. Last year we saw a unique one came from the NW to SE it was 3 spaced off in a triangular shape all moving as one it seemed. Sometimes the kids can get a bit edgy when we spot a meteor and they don't but they're so quick they can't adjust very fast to view them. We've caught the northern lights just a few times up there. Would love to see them again. We were home last year when it was really brilliant even at home in MA.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:38 AM   #13
dpg

Default Hey Frdxplorer

Hey Frdxplorer, I got it. Maybe you can teach them typing and spelling also, hehe

P.S. Do you have/drive an Xplorer? I do and hate it and You?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:53 AM   #14
madrasahs

Smile Mom always said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frdxplorer
...All this should give you plenty of time to peacefully continue reading up on the causes of Attention Deficit Disorder while sitting on the dock.
To summarize:
TV
DVD
VCR
Instant Messenger
Grand Theft Auto
Videogames
Sega
X-Box
Game Boy
Video rental store
Message boards
Surfing the Net
Funspot
Daytona Fun Parks
Karts
Miniature Golf
Ice cream
Magazines
Puzzles
Cards
Board games
Computer games
Badmitten
Horse shoes
Volleyball
Catch
Indoor Bowling
Lazer Tag
Library
Movies
People watching
Water slides
Driving around
Anchoring
Paddle games
Hula Hoops
Jump ropes

I agree with Frdxplorer, but feel compelled to add that all of these responses, as well as solitaire, novel-reading, and crossword puzzles, can be experienced in New Jersey!

If we kids even had a TV at Winnipesaukee -- I don't remember it.

I recall a bunch of kids being highly amused by reading from a "Mr. Answer Man" book. The answers were in the back of the book, but we found it extremely funny to read the wrong responses from the wrong answer page. Question Example: How long is a furlong? Answer: Five liters!

At night, we'd play board games, mostly "Keyword" -- a Scrabble knock-off that encouraged long words -- not the two-dozen tiny ones that Scrabble encourages. (But Scrabble will do).

We took the dark night sky around the Lakes Region for granted: sometimes walking home from the neighbor's on moonless nights by the light from the stars, ("Starshine" -- no light pollution back then). There were few satellites in the night sky anyway.

Today I find star-watching (and astronomy in general) cold and boring. My folks never introduced me to the night sky -- there's a lesson there.

Today, while around Winnipesaukee, I'd take kids to check out all the Natural attractions, and find a collection of "Golden Science Guide Books" to all the mammals, shorelines, fossils, trees, bugs, rocks and minerals, butterflies, stars, zoology, moths, pond life, reptiles, amphibians, flowers, birds, spiders, fishes, snakes, WEATHER, etc. We still have a collection from the fifties and sixties, and all are dog-eared. All the Lake folks I know hoard these books.

(I only mention spiders because it is said that there are about 100,000 spiders per acre -- and I manage to find every web as I walk through my acre).

You won't get this New Hampshire opportunity with your kids but for "too-short" periods every year. Many a doctor, scientist, or other promising career, starts out with a childhood rich in Mother Nature.

Teach your kids (or yourself) how to tie knots at the dock: clove hitch, half-hitch, surgeon's knot, fisherman's knot, and the most versatile and important knot of all...the bowline.

Plus, kids are like sponges for information, and most of what we use every day -- as adults -- are learned as kids. Try learning a foreign language -- or even English grammar -- as an adult! It's all uphill as an adult.

Just because they're out of school, doesn't mean they should be put "on hold".

[/lecture]
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:37 PM   #15
Winnisquam Guy

Default Stuff to do

I have been going to Winnisquam since I was born 43 years ago. As a child we had canoes, swimming, snorkeling,fishing. as we got older we had the old fishing boat with its firebreathing 3 hp evinrude. we also had a sandpile to play in and about an acre of woods to build forts in. if we ever admitted we were bored it was time to stack wood or rake or some other evil chore, so we never found time to be bored. we all grew up and all are fairly responsible adults that take our kids up and do the same things with them. same camp same chores yes even the same boat. tradition can be a good thing.
Winnisquam Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:37 PM   #16
Kona Bay Girl

Here are some things you WON'T be needing:
Videogames
Computers of any kind
Funspot

According to my mother, Funspot used to give out chinaware as prizes. In the 50-ticket spot, one is lucky to find a fancy plastic pen. Heck, five years ago, 75 tickets got you a waterbottle. Now it's up to 225 tickets.

Things that would help:
-Fishing rods +trip to the bait store by lake Kanasakta.
-2 dollars for penny candy at Moultonborough Country Store.
-S'more stuff
-Post Cards - On a rainy day, the kids will like sending them and their friends will like getting them.
-The oldest music-playing device you have. Records are amazing.
-Sparklers. The burns are worth it!
-Suntan lotion. There's something appealing about drawing faces on another person's back.
-Puzzles
-VCR and movie rental card.
-Cameras. Of course.
-A Frisbee or Volleyball Net.

Toodle around on the trolley for a while. Simplicity is the key.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:39 PM   #17
Just Sold

Default Things to do

Unfortunately a lot of kids today need the electronic world to keep themselves occupied.

We were at Swains Lake in Barrington on Saturday visiting friends and the childern there at 2 other cottages kept themselves very entertained without all the electonics. Just the water and each other for hours.

Way back when: I laid on the dock at night. Occasionally we watched channel 9 and the wrestling if the weather was lousy. Anyone remember doing puzzels??? We had plenty of them for those rainy days too.

As Winnisquam Guy said: as we got older we had the old fishing boat with its firebreathing 3 hp evinrude I too had the 3 hp Evenrude (1960) and 1961 Stracraft 9' pram to get around. Still have them too, stored at my brothers. No big boats as a lot of teanagers today do.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:16 AM   #18
Pepper

Default Yes, but did you know ...

For those of you unaware, the brand new Winnipesaukee Playhouse, located in the old Dexter Plaza is offering Kid's Programs during the day! These would be appropriate for the youngsters who haven't yet reached the teen years, and should offer a unique and wholesome alternative! I urge all you parents to check out their offerings for your children, and don't forget to look into their evening offerings for the whole family! The two young couples involved in this project have invested their lives in it, working night and day to bring some much-needed entertainment for all ages. Let's all help them be a success, and enjoy some fun while we're at it!
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:47 PM   #19
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
Hey Frdxplorer, I got it. Maybe you can teach them typing and spelling also, hehe

P.S. Do you have/drive an Xplorer? I do and hate it and You?
Believe it or not DPG, I have a 93 Xplorer with 198K miles on it. I have loved every minute of driving it. I recently purchased an 02 explorer but refused to get rid of the 93. Something, however, tells me I will enjoy the 93 way more than the 02. But I still hope for the best.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #20
kashmir

I used to work at a Day Care center and on rainy days we would make oobleck. A simple mixture of corn starch and water, you can even add food coloring to spruce it up if you want. The kids had a blast with it. Just add enough water to make the corn starch kind off syrupy and let the kids play. Tell them to squeeze it and see what happens. Mix it up in a big bowl and have them hit it and see what happens. It can get a little messy, but its fun. If you haven't tried this, give it a try and see what I'm talking about.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:08 PM   #21
nj2nh

Default Boredom

Boredom in NH? These words, what do they mean? Even as a kid (only 35 years ago or so), we didn't have a TV. We didn't even have a phone line to ourselves. There was no such thing as getting bored. Simply didn't happen no matter what age I was.

I have two boys. They never get bored at the Lake even if they cannot go outside. Back in June, when they didn't want to go out, they holed themselves up in the big closet in one of the bedrooms and made it their hideout. Spent hours in there reading, playing games and laughing their heads off.

If desperate, I do have a suggestion. My boys, a couple of summers ago, made those stepping stones for the yard. They put their handprints in the cement and then added marbles, rocks, etc. They are available at just about any large craft store like Michael's.

Also, if my kids (8 and 10 years old) do tell they are bored here at home, I tell them to go clean something. They find something else to do right quick.

Jersey Girl
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote