Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Jack

Default White frog

I was out weed whacking tonight and out of the grass jumped this unusual colored frog. Never seen one like this but after doing a google of it, its called..

Dr. F. Wayne King, Emeritus Curator of Herpetology at the Florida Museum of Natural History wrote me with the following information:

The frog in your photograph is a Cope’s Gray Treefrog, Hyla chrysoscelis. Typically they are gray with darker markings, but their color varies from white to gray to greenish gray. Yours is white. They have a white spot beneath the eye on the upper lip, which is clearly seen in your photo.

When Cope’s Gray Treefrog is resting its hindleg is folded alongside its body, as in your photograph. When in that position, you cannot see the color of the skin hidden between the folds. The color of the hidden skin on the hindleg in Cope’s Gray Treefrog is orange, which is diagnostic of the species.

The Bird-voiced Treefrog, Hyla avivoca, is a slightly smaller gray-colored treefrog found along the Apalachicola River. The hidden surface of its hindlegs are green.

Cope’s Gray Treefrog is fairly common in north Florida, including around Tallahassee...

Anyone seen one like this before up here??
Attached Images

Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
ITD

Must've hitched a ride on a snowbird....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes, in Alton Bay...

My wife and I came out of the house and we both literally stepped on one. We both felt it under our foot, and didn't come down with full weight. I nudged it with my key, and it moved. We left and when we came home, it was gone. We had never seen a frog / toad so light in color. Thanks for sharing.