Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
chasedawg

Default Vintage Race Boat regatta New Hampshire Boat Museum

On September 18th and 19th we will be hosting our 9th biennial Vintage Race Boat Regatta on Wolfeboro Bay. This thrilling two-day event draws race boat drivers in vintage triple cockpits, outboards, Gold Cup racers, Jersey skiffs, hydroplanes and historic boats from across the country. The drivers and their crew will run heats around a one-mile course in Wolfeboro Bay. Spectators can watch the races for FREE from the Town Docks/Cate Park or for a small charge from the water on the Winnipesaukee Belle.

Crews are coming this year from as far away as Florida, Michigan, New York, and Canada to participate. They come because they love our Regatta - considered one of the best events in the American Power Boat Association's Vintage Circuit! You won't want to miss this exciting event with constant action occurring from 8:00AM - 5:00PM both days.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (09-02-2015), bfitzsmith (09-09-2015), wingnuts (09-05-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 AM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

I will there volunteering for the NH Boat Museum.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (09-02-2015), chasedawg (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Here's a video I made at the event in 2011:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (09-02-2015), bclaker (09-02-2015), chasedawg (09-02-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (09-18-2015), trfour (09-02-2015), wingnuts (09-05-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
markt111

Looks like a great event, I hope to make it there to observe!
markt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt111 View Post
Looks like a great event, I hope to make it there to observe!
I highly recommend watching the races from the Winnipesaukee Belle. Most of my video was shot from the upper deck. They circle the course during the races providing an excellent vantage point.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
webmaster

Several members have tried to turn this into a speed limit/150 rule debate. Please stop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
camp guy (09-03-2015), chasedawg (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
winlessinnh

Can this be watched on the water from private boats? Is there a schedule of events available?
winlessinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlessinnh View Post
Can this be watched on the water from private boats?
If you watch my video above you'll see lots of private boats anchored around the course with plenty of space for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlessinnh View Post
Is there a schedule of events available?
Here's the schedule:

http://www.nhbm.org/vintage-race-boa...ule-of-events/
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
chasedawg

Default Wolfeboro Vintage Rceboat regatta patrol boats

This event is sanctioned by the American Power Boat Association and permitting through the New Hampshire Marine patrol. The NHMP will be there helping out with patrolling the outside of the perimeter of the race course.

There will be volunteer patrol boats positioned around the race course. All spectator boats can observe the race outside of the course. The course starts 300 feet off the Wolfeboro town docks. The race course is a mile long and 300 feet wide. It runs from the town docks out to Sewall point. For those who want to come to Wolfeboro by car you can see the race boats up close in the pit area. The pit area will be the public parking area next to the public docks. Of course it will be roped off wth no cars allowed. And as Webmaster Don states in his post the Winni Belle is a great place to observe the race.

The first event will start at 8:00 AM. It will be the triple cockpits. Then every 20 minutes another group of race boats will start. The order will be outboards, small outboards, Mid hydros, Jersey Skiffs, Flatbottoms and the Big bad fast hydros. The same schedule will also be run in the afternoon starting at 1:15. If you want to take a ride in any of these boats there will be a charity ride on selected boats at Noon and at 3:55.

The race committee is also looking for volunteer patrol boats. If you want to see the race up close and be a patrol boat please PM me and give me your contact information.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Several members have tried to turn this into a speed limit/150 rule debate. Please stop.
My apologies as I was just making a joke and had no agenda.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
This event is sanctioned by the American Power Boat Association and permitting through the New Hampshire Marine patrol. The NHMP will be there helping out with patrolling the outside of the perimeter of the race course.

There will be volunteer patrol boats positioned around the race course. All spectator boats can observe the race outside of the course. The course starts 300 feet off the Wolfeboro town docks. The race course is a mile long and 300 feet wide. It runs from the town docks out to Sewall point. For those who want to come to Wolfeboro by car you can see the race boats up close in the pit area. The pit area will be the public parking area next to the public docks. Of course it will be roped off wth no cars allowed. And as Webmaster Don states in his post the Winni Belle is a great place to observe the race.

The first event will start at 8:00 AM. It will be the triple cockpits. Then every 20 minutes another group of race boats will start. The order will be outboards, small outboards, Mid hydros, Jersey Skiffs, Flatbottoms and the Big bad fast hydros. The same schedule will also be run in the afternoon starting at 1:15. If you want to take a ride in any of these boats there will be a charity ride on selected boats at Noon and at 3:55.

The race committee is also looking for volunteer patrol boats. If you want to see the race up close and be a patrol boat please PM me and give me your contact information.

All 35 boats from around the country have arrived and are preparing for the first event tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM. There are some amazing big Gold Cup Hydros that have 1500 HP capable of 175MPH.

Plus as a treat we are privileged to have Sister Syn arrive this afternoon. I heard it coming from 3 miles away from Wolfeboro. The roar of the engine was amazing. It is a 32' 1925 Dodge Boat Works. The boat was built for Delphine Dodge Cromwell, sister of famed race boat driver, auto magnate Horace E Dodge Jr. This is one of the most original and historic boats at this year's regatta and one of only a handful of Gold cup racing survivors.

The boat is powered by a magnificent 12 cylinder, 650 HP Curtiss Conqueror engine with 1570 cubic inches. Its racing history includes the 1927 Sweepstakes Race in Detroit, MI and in that same year, the President's Cup in Washington, DC. Come down to Wolfeboro and enjoy. The weather looks perfect for these amazing boats.

This event is put on by the New Hampshire Boat Museum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-18-2015), Descant (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #12
CateP

We'll be there!!
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #13
chasedawg

Default NHBM Wolfeboro Vintage Race Boat Regatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
We'll be there!!
Hope to see you there. We had an awesome day today. Performance boats from outboards to great big 1800HP hydros. The weather was perfect and hopefully again tomorrow. We had a record crowd. You can not believe the sound and 150' rooster tails off the props and sponson's of these boats. The surface piercing props kick up 2 tons of water off the stern,

Come on down and sign up for a big hydro ride or just witness the most powerful boats in the country. May I suggest to bring ear plugs for the noise.