Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
WinnDixie

Default McDonald's and change!

Omigosh! Saw the demolition picture of McD's in today's Citizen! I know there was a thread a couple of years reminiscing about "old" stuff in the Laconia area. I got to be friends with Chickie about that time. I got on and remembered when McD's came to Laconia...police directing traffic in front of it...BIG deal and all!! My girls wanted to stop so badly and we'd have had to park on the moon! That was 1971...39 years ago! Now that one is being demolished for a new one! How did I get this old??? You seeing this Chickie? You think we should be checking to see if WE have an expiraton date we have not noticed??
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Guy

WD,
One of the good things about getting older is I can't bend over far enough to find the expiration date.
RG
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
angela4design

This is the first time in how many decades that there has been no Mc D's OR Burger King in Laconia!! Enjoy it while it lasts. LOL!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
WinnDixie

Default Love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
WD,
One of the good things about getting older is I can't bend over far enough to find the expiration date.
RG
OMG, RG, thank you very much, you bright ray of sunshine!!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-29-2010), RailroadJoe (09-28-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
fatlazyless

It looks like the new Laconia McD's, which is owned by the same people who own the Meredith McD's, will be having a two-lane drive-thru window(s) outdoors, as well as a 42" flat screen tv and propane glassed fireplace inside.

Words to live by........If it's not on the Dollar Menu, then I won't buy it. Plus, water is always a freebie.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
john60ri

Default MacDonalds

I stopped in at that MacDonalds in August while on vacation. I had two cheeseburgers and a chocolate shake, just like I used to have back in the '60s. Except back then the cheeseburgers were 15 cents, and so was the shake. It was a great pleasure, sort of a nostalgia trip. I'll check out the new MacDonald's next August.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Chickie

Default Old Mickey D's Is No More

Oh yes, how I remember that glorious day in May of ’71 when McD.’s opened its doors. We couldn’t wait to have our first burgers, but all of Laconia turned out that first day, so we waited until the crowds lessened. Never had heard the word cholesterol so we enjoyed every bite with no worry of what it might do to us 40 years later. I was young and foolish back then - now I’m old and foolish. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The old building is a huge pile of rubble tonight – not a trace of the counter where we stood and ordered our first shakes and fries. Sigh…….
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
RI Swamp Yankee

Do I dare say it .... I never go to McDonalds at the lake, I can fill up on dollar menu specials at home (and I do!) and there are so many good places around the lake that I can't get at home.

.... now, where is my flame proof suit ....
Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Do I dare say it .... I never go to McDonalds at the lake, I can fill up on dollar menu specials at home (and I do!) and there are so many good places around the lake that I can't get at home.

.... now, where is my flame proof suit ....
Naaaa, no flame proof suit needed. Hey, I never go to *any* McDonald's anywhere. For whatever reason, the food there makes me feel sick and/or I get a bad headache (probably MSG or something like that) except for the fries, which I must admit are (or were last time I had them) quite good!
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I'm with IslandRadio. I never go to Mcdonalds..Ever. Same reason. The food sits in my stomach like some kind of meat brick.
I only go to Wendy's, because of the less processed beef, and only if nothing else is available.
That said I still love seeing some of the original McDonalds buildings. There is still one up in Bangor Maine that I drive by on the way to family days. They usually have old cars parked out front on display most of the Summer.
Kind of like the old A&W root beer drive ins.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It looks like the new Laconia McD's, which is owned by the same people who own the Meredith McD's, will be having a two-lane drive-thru window(s) outdoors, as well as a 42" flat screen tv and propane glassed fireplace inside.

Words to live by........If it's not on the Dollar Menu, then I won't buy it. Plus, water is always a freebie.
BTW: the same company owns MANY McD around the state and I think in Coply Square Boston! This rebuild is small potatoes in their scheme of things.
The site work in Meredith was beyond thinking, in advance; would never have been done if one was relying on just one restaurant location.

I also have no interesting in any McD location, except the rest room when I am on the road!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
Argie's Wife

Maybe I have a different perspective because I have young kids but McD's - and especially one with a PlayLand - is always an easy kiddie pleaser. Sometimes we'll go for breakfast just to go out (and it's a good way to train kids how to behave when they're out vs. inflicting them on non-family-types at a nice restaurant...)

The youngest Arglet loved the PlayLand... good times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
AFVet (10-04-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #14
summersux

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
Naaaa, no flame proof suit needed. Hey, I never go to *any* McDonald's anywhere. For whatever reason, the food there makes me feel sick and/or I get a bad headache (probably MSG or something like that) except for the fries, which I must admit are (or were last time I had them) quite good!
I'm with you, I have not been to a McDonald's in 15 or more years. I can't believe people still go but I can't believe that people still smoke either.
summersux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Compared to every other McD's on this planet, the food at the Meredith Mcd's tastes better. They do a better job, and it's had the same boss there, John, since 1987, when the location first opened.

Meredith McDonald's: Quality you can taste, but I still just eat off the Dollar Menu and ask for a large courtesy water!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Argie's Wife

Default To each, his own...

What's a winni.com thread about fast food that doesn't have someone making snarky comments about smoking? Ah, more good times.

McD's has evolved a bit with the times... Newman's Organic Coffee is pretty good and a lot cheaper than Staryuks or DD's coffee. Their salads, smoothies, and yogurt/granola/fruit parfaits are really good. Yeah, you can still get the artery blocking burgers there, but really... how's that different from T-Bones or Applebee's artery blocking burgers? Fat, carbs, and sugar, no matter how you serve them, are still bad for you... and sometimes tasty.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Pepper (09-30-2010), RailroadJoe (09-30-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
dpg

Nice new restaurant, same old !@#$ food.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
John A. Birdsall

Default never go

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post

You say you "never go" but the food there makes you sick, except for the fries. Seems to me you must have gone there so you cannot say you never go there. Now they have chicken strips that are pretty good, they also have argus burgers in various forms that are pretty good. They used to have lobster rolls that were excellant. Give them a break
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
summersux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
McD's has evolved a bit with the times... Newman's Organic Coffee is pretty good and a lot cheaper than Staryuks or DD's coffee. Their salads, smoothies, and yogurt/granola/fruit parfaits are really good. Yeah, you can still get the artery blocking burgers there, but really... how's that different from T-Bones or Applebee's artery blocking burgers? Fat, carbs, and sugar, no matter how you serve them, are still bad for you... and sometimes tasty.
I hope you are kidding.
If not the problems with McDonald's go way beyond artery's. I'm pretty sure before McDonald's most cattle were not coming from feedlots of 250,000+ cattle eating corn CORN. I'd bet that most cattle before McDonald's were eating grass and not standing in their own manure everyday after day. Feedlots of this size are environmentally destructive. How about praying on the poor 1$ menu, and luring children in with the promise of free toys and a clown thats something a pedophile would do.

I could go on but I won't

/soapbox
The Following User Says Thank You to summersux For This Useful Post:
Grant (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersux View Post
... I'm pretty sure before McDonald's most cattle were not coming from feedlots of 250,000+ cattle eating corn CORN. I'd bet that most cattle before McDonald's were eating grass and not standing in their own manure everyday after day. ...
Yup, the cowboys would round them up and have cattle drives lasting days or weeks to get them to market. If it wern't for them we wouldn't have any decent Country Music today.

Actually, I don't think you can blame McDonald's for that.
summersux (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Argie's Wife

Quote:
I could go on but I won't
Promise?

I don't need a lecture or fear tactics, thankyouverymuch. I'm not worried one bit about my kids' weight; they're happy, healthy and learning how to live life with moderation. The kids in those pictures didn't get fat from eating McDonalds - they got fat from eating a lot, including McDonalds. If their picture had been taken while they were eating any other fast food, then that fast food establishment would be blamed. Funny, the parents aren't blamed, are they? But really, it's not McDonald's or Wendy's fault; it's the parents. The parents let the kids get fat.

Again, what about moderation? Not to mention teaching people to make choices for themselves?

Quote:
How about praying on the poor 1$ menu, and luring children in with the promise of free toys and a clown thats something a pedophile would do.
Funny thing, the yogurt parfaits and organic coffee I mentioned are on the $1 menu.

Sad world you must live in... Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy must be on your world's FBI Ten Most Wanted List, too.

My apologies to WinnDixie and Chickie for this thread going off subject - in my opinion, any place friends can meet and kids can play is good.

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 09-30-2010 at 03:24 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (10-10-2010), gtagrip (10-01-2010), Pepper (10-01-2010), RailroadJoe (09-30-2010), VitaBene (09-30-2010), Waterbaby (10-01-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow McDonald's

My favorite thing to have at McDonald's and not feel too guilty is the ice cream cone.

Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone
150 calories and only 3.5 grams of fat!

McDonald's has done a very good job of adapting over the years to appeal to even those who are trying to be health conscious.

McDonald's USA Nutrition Facts for Popular Menu Items
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
RailroadJoe

How did you get pictures of my grand kids at McDonalds?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
Chickie

Default You Deserve A Break Today.....

I have been known to partake of a McDonald’s meal now and then, and my philosophy is everything in moderation. I wouldn’t recommend eating every meal there 24/7, but occasionally it is fun and does little harm in my opinion. I had my first burger at the Laconia McDonald’s 39 years ago and am still here to tell about it.

Their new Angus Snack Wraps are very good and are smaller than the burger version if you wish to cut down on calories. I find the one with mushrooms and Swiss to be my favorite, but they also have one with lettuce/ tomato and another with bacon. You can choose the level you wish to indulge in. I enjoy other items on the menu as well, but what do I know, I even like Chef Boyardee pizza from a box. No class, I guess.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #25
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
I have been known to partake of a McDonald’s meal now and then, and my philosophy is everything in moderation. I wouldn’t recommend eating every meal there 24/7, but occasionally it is fun and does little harm in my opinion. I had my first burger at the Laconia McDonald’s 39 years ago and am still here to tell about it.

Their new Angus Snack Wraps are very good and are smaller than the burger version if you wish to cut down on calories. I find the one with mushrooms and Swiss to be my favorite, but they also have one with lettuce/ tomato and another with bacon. You can choose the level you wish to indulge in. I enjoy other items on the menu as well, but what do I know, I even like Chef Boyardee pizza from a box. No class, I guess.
I verified this with McDonald's headquarters. Some of their beef comes from South America. They told me they need to do this because the US can't supply them with enough beef. I wonder if that is true or maybe it's less expensive to import the beef.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #26
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Thumbs up I Agree with Argie's Wife

Quote:
Promise?

I don't need a lecture or fear tactics, thankyouverymuch. I'm not worried one bit about my kids' weight; they're happy, healthy and learning how to live life with moderation. The kids in those pictures didn't get fat from eating McDonalds - they got fat from eating a lot, including McDonalds. If their picture had been taken while they were eating any other fast food, then that fast food establishment would be blamed. Funny, the parents aren't blamed, are they? But really, it's not McDonald's or Wendy's fault; it's the parents. The parents let the kids get fat.

Again, what about moderation? Not to mention teaching people to make choices for themselves?

Funny thing, the yogurt parfaits and organic coffee I mentioned are on the $1 menu.

Sad world you must live in... Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy must be on your world's FBI Ten Most Wanted List, too.

My apologies to WinnDixie and Chickie for this thread going off subject - in my opinion, any place friends can meet and kids can play is good.

There is nothing wrong with everything in modertion and teaching your children proper nutrition and exercise habbits but that does not mean you cant have a treat now and then (summersux must be that house on Halloween that gives out pennies or granola instead of candy). People need to take resposibility for themselves and their children and not leave it up to others.

Last edited by joey2665; 10-01-2010 at 07:43 AM.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #27
chowda

Railroad Joe, that is TOO FUNNY! I just about spit out my coffee laughing. I haven't been to that McD's in about 6 years. As much as my kids would look at it longingly as we drove by, they would always chime in that the ball pit smelled like pee. Exactly why we hadn't been back in 6 years.
chowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #28
summersux

Quote:
Promise?

Yeah see its not about you, you can feed your children rubber bands for all I care. The problem is the money people spend at Mcds is supporting a company that negativity affects others and the environment. Their are plenty of local restaurants in the lakes region with a conscience support them they give back something of value. Or don't.

We handout tooth brushes at Halloween.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #29
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Really?????????

Quote:
Yeah see its not about you, you can feed your children rubber bands for all I care. The problem is the money people spend at Mcds is supporting a company that negativity affects others and the environment. Their are plenty of local restaurants in the lakes region with a conscience support them they give back something of value. Or don't.

Exactly how does McD's negatively affect others, you are responsible for what you put in you mouth not them (no one forces you to eat their food) and as far as the environment goes they are one of the most "green" companies is America. Did you know they only use recycled paper and their cartons are made of recycled egg shells.

What ever happened to "Live FREE or Die" TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF and others should do the same.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
AFVet (10-04-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #30
Chickie

Default Three Cheers for Mickey D.'s

What about the Ronald McDonald Houses? How many large corporations give as much back to communities as they do?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #31
anthonyrenee2nh

Quote:

I guess you never heard of the Ronald McDonald House and all the great things that they do each for people in need or all the money they spend supporting the Special Olympics. As for the environment I guess you never heard of the egg shell carton or see that all the wrapping and most containers are made of recycled products. Google it!!

Basically as they say " Guns Don't Kill People / People Kill People" and now read carefully " Mcdonalds does not make you or your kids fat / You make yourselves fat ".

1) If you don't like it don't turn into the driveway no one is forcing you and let others enjoy.

2) Get you self up and out of the house and stop all the video games or at least limit the playing time and make the kids go out to play or get involved in some type of sport.

3) Mcdonalds is a Americian Tradition and part of everyone's childhood. Lots of great memories.

4) Sadly this generation is plagued by electronics (games, texting, etc).

So if you want to blame someone or something for your and or your child's troubles go call the makers Nintendo, X-Box, PSP, Cell Phones, computers or whatever.

Here is an idea for you! Instead of sitting around posting this nonsense get up get your kids get a ball and go outside and play with them and spend some quality time together and get some exercise instead of putting the blame on others.

Your BIGGEST problem is you and you only not McDonalds.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #32
Happy Gourmand

Default While we're at it...

Quote:
We might as well make ice cream illegal too...just a quart or so every day after your daily Big Mac and super sized fries will probably have a negative effect on you too!! Damn them ice cream makers!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Gearhead

Default Fast Food Nation

I read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser a couple of years back and it really opened my eyes to where our food comes from. Read that, then enjoy an Angus Deluxe.

Incidentally, I also read that E.Coli 0157:H7 was first identified as a pathogen only in 1982! Before 1982, it wasn't around! It's been theorized that the large feed lots out west introduced it to cattle by causing cattle to ingest the waste of infected cattle. It lives only in a cow's colon, and thus can only be introduced into the food supply from improper butchering and dressing of BEEF. Remove the innards wrong, and you get poop all over your angus deluxe. You then must rely on the meat processor to properly clean the meat before grinding it. What does a minimum-wage factory worker in Argentina care about some kid's hamburger in America? We put quite a lot of trust in minimum-wage workers in fast food restaurants too to ensure the hamburger they serve is thoroughly cooked (Do they even know why?).

I got the measles while cooking at a fast food restaurant while in college, and they still wanted (demanded) me to work there because they were too busy to give me time off. I can't imagine how many people I could have infected had I not asked the doctor to intervene.

The problem I see is that all along the line, people are paid next to minimum wage to ensure the meat they process is clean enough to be eaten by a five-year-old in a fast food restaurant.

My friend saw with his own eyes a beef processing plant where they packaged frozen hamburg and the operator of the meat grinder dropped a beef heart on the floor and picked it up and threw it into the machine. Yum!

I don't have anything against fast food restaurants per se, but I do think people should have some idea where their food comes from. There are a couple of butchers in the area, and I know of two farmers in Wolfeboro who feed their beef mostly grass from their fields, and take their cattle / pigs / chickens to a local butcher, where there is much less danger of E.Coli because he owns the shop and cares about it's sanitation and the health of his patrons.

Okay, I'm getting off my soap box and looking for a quick lunch.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gearhead For This Useful Post:
Natt (10-07-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #34
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
..... I never go to McDonalds at the lake, ........
With all the negative comments I should clarify that statement. I do go to McDonalds in RI and enjoy the $1 double cheeseburger. and the fries. (even if they aren't as good as Red Hill Dari!)

I also found out, as AW mentioned, they make great coffee.

When I am at The Lake it is a different story. There are so many good places around The Lake to eat that I can't enjoy at home McD is the last place I would stop because I can get that at home, same as any other chain food place.

For those that live full time around The Lake I hope the new McD opens soon for you, after all, you can't have Pop's onion rings everyday.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #35
Rattlesnake Guy

I missed the memo that all human beings now have to only do things that are good for them and that everyone else agrees to. Free choice is a wonderful thing and so is the occasional meal at McD. Lets agree to disagree. I won't make you eat where I want and you don't make me eat at your place.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
AFVet (10-04-2010), Argie's Wife (10-04-2010), chipj29 (10-04-2010), JacksonB (10-07-2010), nicole (10-02-2010), RailroadJoe (10-02-2010), summersux (10-05-2010), WinnDixie (10-02-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #36
robmac

Well said R-Guy, my doctor tells me all the time watch what you eat and I do. I watch it on the plate to the fork ( or hands depending on food) then into my mouth. Everyone has choice and I for one take advantage of my see food diet,see it eat it.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #37
Simon

Watch the movie FOOD, Inc..............
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:
summersux (10-05-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #38
Pricestavern

Default American capitalism at its finest

When people think of the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union, it is typically images of jubilant Germans tearing down the Berlin Wall that spring to mind. .

But last nail in coffin of Russian Communism did not come until few months after the fall of the Wall, when McDonald’s opened its first restaurant in Moscow. Once the Soviets learned about Big Macs (or Big Mak, as they put it), there was no turning back. Twenty years later, McDonald’s has stores in over 50 Russian cities, employs more than 25,000 people and has served over 2 billion customers.

American capitalism at its finest.

Let's see how long China lasts against our Clown!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #39
Summersled

Smile McDonald's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnDixie View Post
Omigosh! Saw the demolition picture of McD's in today's Citizen! I know there was a thread a couple of years reminiscing about "old" stuff in the Laconia area. I got to be friends with Chickie about that time. I got on and remembered when McD's came to Laconia...police directing traffic in front of it...BIG deal and all!! My girls wanted to stop so badly and we'd have had to park on the moon! That was 1971...39 years ago! Now that one is being demolished for a new one! How did I get this old??? You seeing this Chickie? You think we should be checking to see if WE have an expiraton date we have not noticed??
I had chicken nuggets for the first time when they had just came out at that McD's. It was after rollerskating, when we used to rollerskate in Gilford up on the hill, which is now a True Value. Yes things do change. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Summersled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summersled For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-06-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #40
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
When people think of the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union, it is typically images of jubilant Germans tearing down the Berlin Wall that spring to mind. .

But last nail in coffin of Russian Communism did not come until few months after the fall of the Wall, when McDonald’s opened its first restaurant in Moscow. Once the Soviets learned about Big Macs (or Big Mak, as they put it), there was no turning back. Twenty years later, McDonald’s has stores in over 50 Russian cities, employs more than 25,000 people and has served over 2 billion customers.

American capitalism at its finest.

Let's see how long China lasts against our Clown!

So, the Russians were better off with communism?

Let's see... franchise owners employs 25,000 people who spend their paychecks, maybe go to school for a higher degree or start a business of their own, or even just spend their money on rent, utilities, food, shopping - you get the idea. They get benefits - darned good ones, at that - and they're not on the government dole.

And the economy grows. Oh, such evil.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 AM   #41
Rattlesnake Guy

AW.
I did not read the invasion of McDonalds into Russia as a negative. I think Pricestavern was painting it as a good thing.
RG
Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #42
Jonas Pilot

"I'll give you my Big Mac when you take it from my cold, dead, pudgy hands!"
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (10-07-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (10-07-2010), summersux (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #43
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
AW.
I did not read the invasion of McDonalds into Russia as a negative. I think Pricestavern was painting it as a good thing.
RG
And my post was tongue in cheek, too.

In other words, the corporations (capitalism) aren't the villains...
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #44
Glendale Girl

Two all beef patties..... special sauce lettece cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun!! YUM
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #45
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendale Girl View Post
Two all beef patties..... special sauce lettece cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun!! YUM
The carbs in the bun are not good for you, the rest is ok.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #46
anthonyrenee2nh

Quote:
You calling me out? Get outside? My 11 yo and I took first place in a two person relay this summer winning $300. We did not just show up and run this takes some training and proper nutrition. My 11 yo first hiked and skied Tuckerman Ravine when she was 9, she makes states as a ski racer. My 11 yo is part of my ultra running crew and stays up for 25+ hours supporting 100 mile races. We will be hiking out to Flat Mountain Pond this weekend to do some camping.

Industrialized agriculture is environmentally destructive, Google it. Obesity makes my insurance premiums, and taxes go up. We all pay for the big macs fat people eat not just the fat people buying them.
Well I'm very proud of ya!!

Was your father SUPERMAN?????

I myself have achieved the honor of being an All-American Athlete in high school and college (Lacrosse Goalie). I also have All County awards in Football and Basketball. My wife is now a stay home Mom but use to be a personal trainer, dietitian (who eats McDonalds) an still works out. I also have two sons that are well above average baseball players and are blessed to be individually invited to play top level tournaments all over this great country of ours to play at the age of 12 an 9 years old. They both play practice and train year round and in winters train with scouts and college coaches. With all this my 12 year old found time to make school honor roll and do community service for the honor society, an both my sons excel at many other sports as well. Oh and my 10 year old daughter has now graduated to black belt training level 1. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA

SO THERE!! and WHO CARES?

If you're so great an your story is true then SHUT UP an
"LIVE FREE OR DIE" and let others do the same. If we needed your help we would of asked and I do not see anyone asking.

If you don't like what's on the radio then change the dial.
If you don't like what's on TV the turn the channel.
If you don't like a restaurant then don't pull into the driveway.

Being the righteous dude you are and you are so worried about environmentally destructive companies then all of us here can all assume that your children will be the ones running their races and hiking barefoot. Because you will not allow them to wear these things because of all the pollutants that are given off into the air from the companies that produce the very soles of the sneakers and boots they are wearing. Oh and what about the sweat shops that are making their clothes and shoes and the cows that were raised and killed for the leather. Let's not forget about all those beautiful innocent TREES that were cut down and the loss of homes for the poor animals so your daughter can become the next Olympic Skier. Shall I keep going on. People in Glass Houses.........

Welcome to The World of Big Business. Sit back down and Shut Up and
"GO BACK IN" and enjoy your life and family. Let others do the same. Remember everything in moderation.

If you won $300.00 and had so much fun this summer with your family then why do you call your self summersux? Sounds to me like you had a great time.

Lighten up we are all here on borrowed time.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Personally I think the Lobster Pound is to blame.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #47
anthonyrenee2nh

Quote:
You calling me out? Get outside? My 11 yo and I took first place in a two person relay this summer winning $300. We did not just show up and run this takes some training and proper nutrition. My 11 yo first hiked and skied Tuckerman Ravine when she was 9, she makes states as a ski racer. My 11 yo is part of my ultra running crew and stays up for 25+ hours supporting 100 mile races. We will be hiking out to Flat Mountain Pond this weekend to do some camping.

Industrialized agriculture is environmentally destructive, Google it. Obesity makes my insurance premiums, and taxes go up. We all pay for the big macs fat people eat not just the fat people buying them.
Well I'm very proud of ya!!

Was your father SUPERMAN?????

I myself have achieved the honor of being an All-American Athlete in high school and college (Lacrosse Goalie). I also have All County awards in Football and Basketball. My wife is now a stay home Mom but use to be a personal trainer, dietitian (who eats McDonalds) an still works out. I also have two sons that are well above average baseball players and are blessed to be individually invited to play top level tournaments all over this great country of ours to play at the age of 12 an 9 years old. They both play practice and train year round and in winters train with scouts and college coaches. With all this my 12 year old found time to make school honor roll and do community service for the honor society, an both my sons excel at many other sports as well. Oh and my 10 year old daughter has now graduated to black belt training level 1. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA

SO THERE!! and WHO CARES?

If you don't like what's on the radio then change the dial.
If you don't like what's on TV the turn the channel.
If you don't like a restaurant then don't pull into the driveway.

Being the righteous dude you are and you are so worried about environmentally destructive companies then all of us here can all assume that your children will be the ones running their races and hiking barefoot because of all the pollutants that are given off from the companies that produce the very soles of the sneakers and boots they are wearing. Oh and what about the sweat shops that are making their clothes and shoes and the cows that were raised and killed for the leather. Let's not forget about all those beautiful innocent TREES that were cut down and the loss of homes for the poor animals so your daughter can become the next Olympic Skier. Shall I keep going on. People in Glass Houses.........

Welcome to The World of Big Business.
"GO BACK IN" and enjoy your life and family. Let others do the same. Remember everything in moderation.

If you won $300.00 and had so much fun this summer with your family then why do you call your self summersux? Sounds to me like you had a great time.
Lighten up we are all here on borrowed time.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Personally I think the Lobster Pound is to blame.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #48
winniplayhouse

I don't eat McD's and try to limit how often my daughter does. BUT for a special treat nothing makes her happier than a visit to the Playplace. Does anyone know if they are putting one in at the new location?
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winniplayhouse For This Useful Post:
Natt (10-07-2010)
Old 10-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #49
john60ri

Default McDonalds

Wow! I just read the entire post. Intense! When she was younger, I used to tell my daughter that the Chicken McNuggets were made out of sawdust and Elmer's Glue, but she ordered them anyway. Best fast food cheeseburger, though. Tastes exactly the same as it did forty years ago.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #50
CGI3

Chicken Mcnuggets anyone? Check this episode of Jamie Olivers Kitchen.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81128053/
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #51
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse View Post
I don't eat McD's and try to limit how often my daughter does. BUT for a special treat nothing makes her happier than a visit to the Playplace. Does anyone know if they are putting one in at the new location?
I don't think so....

I wanted to know what they were doing with the old PlayPlace tubes... can you imagine the treehouse that could make?!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #52
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse View Post
A statement in the Citizen article makes the playhouse doubtful:

Quote:
Although it will be smaller in total square footage, the restaurant will seat up to 90 patrons, almost a third more than at present.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #53
Chickie

Default No Play Place

There will not be a Play Place at the new Mickey D.’s due to liability. If someone can win a law suit amounting to millions because they weren’t warned that hot coffee can be HOT, can you imagine what they might do if their children were injured? As for the Play Place tubes, I witnessed one being crushed to death and loaded into a dump truck with the rest of the rubble. It didn’t die easy and kept trying to spring back to life to no avail. R.I.P. (Pieces) old Play Place. .
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #54
ApS

Wink McDonald's is World-WIDE...

Quote:
If not the problems with McDonald's go way beyond artery's.

Serving The World—on nearly every Continent...

Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-18-2010)
Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #55
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default McDonald's in Laconia

I stop for a quick sandwich one day this week. I ordered a grilled sandwich as I am at the age I need to watch my cholesterol. The woman manager ask me if I want fries and I declined noting that fried foods are unhealthy. She insist that McDonald uses healty frying oil and it has 0% trans fat. I declined again.

As I was leaving by driving through the back of the building, one employee was making a dump run. I notice the box the frying oil came in. It specifically labeled hydrogenated vegetable oil. That, my friends, is the worst oil to fry in.
AB_Monterey (04-30-2011), jkjoshuatree (04-30-2011), old coot (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #56
Rattlesnake Guy

Default All relative

Why McDonald's Fries
Taste So Good
By Eric Schlosser
Excerpt From Eric Schlosser's new book
'Fast Food Nation' (Houghton-Mifflin, 2001)
From The Atlantic Monthly

The taste of a french fry is largely determined by the cooking oil. For decades McDonald's cooked its french fries in a mixture of about seven percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent beef tallow. The mixture gave the fries their unique flavor -- and more saturated beef fat per ounce than a McDonald's hamburger.
In 1990, amid a barrage of criticism over the amount of cholesterol in its fries, McDonald's switched to pure vegetable oil. (end of quote)

The article goes on to describe how the flavor is now achieved with the addition of flavorings.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #57
SIKSUKR

How do you know they were frying french fries in that oil? It very well may be used for something else.