Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
crownline_guy

Default Parker Marine Slip Access?

Anyone have any experience with getting under the bridge at Parker Marine in Alton? I'm thinking of taking a slip there next year with a 22' bow-rider and was worried about the full season access under the bridge. Any insight would help. Thanks!
crownline_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownline_guy
Anyone have any experience with getting under the bridge at Parker Marine in Alton? ...
According to Bizer's chart, the bridge clearance is 5.0 feet at full lake. How much clearance do you need? A normal 22-ft boat will probably make it except in extreme circumstances, like the rains we had in May of this year.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
ThePlut

Default All year

I have had a slip there all year. Mine is a Cobalt 240, which is specified at a max of about 57" bridge clearance. They tell you that the clearance is 60" at full lake. I don't think that is perfectly accurate. I was able to get my boat in and out under the bridge, while the lake was still about 6" above full lake

Now, it's not exactly the most comfortable approach, getting in and out with only inches to spare. The owner had to take mine out the first time because I didn't think I could make it. I can send you a short video clip of that experience if you want, it's spooky...

I do have to lower my bimini, each and every time I cross. Small penalty to pay, the slips are very reasonably priced and the people are great. I'll be back next year, and ongoing until I buy something that won't fit.

Send a pm if you'd like to know more.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default parker video

I would love to see your video.IM me and I will send my e-mail address.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
fpartri497

Default Parker Marine

Guys:

I have had a slip at parker for the last 8 yrs. with three different boats that I have owned. Only my new Azure AZ200 gave me headaches all this year because of the High water. I only got 22 Hrs. of boating this season because Of that $#$%^^&*) Bridge. Hopefully this was a once In a century Extreme rainy year. most of this spring and summer The entire parking lot and docks where under water. I also lost all of last oct. because of the big flood.

That situation for me Is about to change.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
searay220

Exclamation Parker Marine

My friend this year couldn't get his boat out until the fourth of July week. Seems like a ton of money for a real short season nevermind the trouble with Parkers service dept. He is going to West Alton Marine next year.My 2cents.
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:01 AM   #7
ThePlut

Default Video

I actually have it online, I forgot:

http://homepage.mac.com/plutnicki/iMovieTheater20.html

WAM is a great place, but at almost 2x the cost for the same boat, the requirement of paying for winter storage (and they were quite frank, I had to PAY for winter storage, but they didn't actually care if the boat was there) caused me to shy away.

If your bridge clearance spec is greater than 60", you will have issues in high water. If less, there's some risk.

Honestly, it didn't bother me, I didn't go out much until the 600' no wake zone cleared, and at that point I could readily get out under the bridge.

I've never needed service from them, so I can't speak to that, but the owners have been nothing but very nice...
Old 09-11-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
fpartri497

Default parkers service depat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay220
My friend this year couldn't get his boat out until the fourth of July week. Seems like a ton of money for a real short season nevermind the trouble with Parkers service dept. He is going to West Alton Marine next year.My 2cents.
Never once In eight years did I ever have a service Issue at parkers. They do a faboulus job. They serviced my boats every year. My only Issue Is with the bridge not them My new Azure requires 65 " so even the slighest high water and Im s-----d.

Twice this season I had to be fork lifted accross the street to downings so I could go out for the day. many times had to hand walk the boat under the bridge.

Last edited by fpartri497; 09-11-2006 at 07:03 AM.
fpartri497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
Joe Kerr

Lightbulb Get extra clearance

When you are talking about less than a few inches of needed clearance to get under the bridge I have a solution. I accidentally discovered that my boat would sit a few inches lower in the water when the bilge had a few inches of water. The bilge pump cleaned out the bilge in minutes and I got the leaky hose fixed.

If I needed an extra inch or two of bridge clearance I would consider pumping water into the boat before going under the bridge. In my boat there is nothing in the bilge that would be damaged by a few inches of water or sloshing water.

It's a similar principle to big trucks that need an inch to get under a bridge. They let air out of the tires until the truck is an inch lower.

I got to believe that someone slipped in back Bay or at Parker Marine has thought of this or tried this before. It's a little extra work but may be worth it.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
codeman671

I had to "walk" my pontoon under quite a few times due to high water. My tritoon sat rather high in the water and I would have to remove my bimini (even folded down it would rub) as well as my windshield.

I never used them for service but they seemed like decent people. Can't beat the price!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
ThePlut

Default Hooo boy

My dealer suggested the same thing, but quite frankly, I couldn't stomach the idea of intentionally filling my bilge with water and pumping it back out.

However, there are many ski boats which now incorporate water bag systems (ballast) into the bilge or ski locker. I would consider doing that, putting a water bag in the bilge or ski locker that has a separate pump to bring in and exhaust water to gain a few hundred lbs and a few inches of clearance.

Defintely could have done something like that as well.

Again, for me, at 57" spec, I was able to get in/out while there was still a no wake zone in effect, and was therefore minimally interested in doing so. Hopefully, this spring's rain is not a new pattern for the lake, for all of our sake. Also, in talking with the dealer, the 57" number was the absolute highest spec (lightest boat, no fuel, etc...). I'm sure the boat itself sits a few inches lower than that under normal operating conditions.

Parker was upfront with me, that if I had a spec of greater than 60", I might have some trouble...
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
chipj29

Default Wow!

Wow, that video is amazing...that is Tight! With a capital T! One wave and you are in deep doo-doo!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
ThePlut

Default Yup

It was only once or twice I had to do that, and I think the lake reading was 6 or so inches higher than "full lake" from the NH-DES charts.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #14
Stinger

Default Parker Marine Bridge

Yeah, that video looks familiar, I actually got a ~1/64" knick on the top of my windshield frame from my first trip under after the rains this year, lake level at the time was was 505.32, my boat's bridge clearance is 43", according to Bizer Map I'd break glass. Parker's said the "real" bridge clearance is more like 5.5 ft, they ought to know. Bizer is probably (rightfully) conservative in their measurement on their map.

The Service at Parkers has been excellent everytime I have used them (this is my 7th season). They pay attention to detail and do the extra things like grease the trailer wheel bearings when they winterize my boat. Earlier this year I needed a jump start at my slip, I called the office, they sent a mechanic out within 10 minutes, jump start done, no charge (pun intended).
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
sgold44

Cool xcellent service

This is my first year at Parker, & I have had nothing but great experiences with them. I started the season w/a 22 ft bowrider, & from mid june was able to cruise under the bridge. The first week of August I bought a new boat that's 24 ft, & I did scratch the windshield frame once. I've used Parkers for service twice, & they fixed me up quickly & well. I would recommend them highly.
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #16
gtxrider

Default Options!

There are several options to get under the bridge.

1. Lower the lake (know any one at the dam?)

2. Raise the bridge (not likely)

3. Go real fast and duck.

4. Take everyone you know out for a boat ride at the same time.

4. Do like the truckers do and air down the tires. (let some water into the bilge)

But than how often does the lake get as high as it was this year?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #17
fpartri497

Default video

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
Wow, that video is amazing...that is Tight! With a capital T! One wave and you are in deep doo-doo!
I had to handwalk my boat under the bridge many times with all the parker boys In the bow for ballast.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #18
Alton Bay Resident

Default 60" is slim for the last few years

Take a look at the average lake height for the past few years including this and you'll see that even with 60" bridge height up to the 1st or 2nd week in July is not good. Nevermind they seem to be keeping the lake higher now that DES controls the lake level...
Alton Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #19
fpartri497

Default des control dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay Resident
Take a look at the average lake height for the past few years including this and you'll see that even with 60" bridge height up to the 1st or 2nd week in July is not good. Nevermind they seem to be keeping the lake higher now that DES controls the lake level...
How and when did the DES take over control of the dam?