Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default outboard trim & tilt repair

Hey, any other shade tree boat do-it-themselvers out theyer? On a 1995 Suzuki 150 outboard, the trim & tilt switch on the side of the outboard cowl works fine; up & down, but the switch on the throttle works on the up and not on the down. So, what is the fix, here?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Paugus Bay Resident

FLL,

Not sure about outboards, but on Merc IOs, there are 3 wires (green - down; blue - up; and either red or purple for power. Sounds like either a bad switch or loose / broken connection between the trim motor and the throttle switch.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
Rob

As PBR said, its probably a bad switch or a bad connection. You should be able to trace the wires coming from the trim/tilt pump to the throttle, or start at the throttle and go back. You shouldn't have to trace the wires all the way from one end to the other- if it is a wiring problem, it is most likely where the wire terminates at either the switch or the pump. The screw can loosen up, corrosion can cause problems between the terminal and the wire, or the wire breaks at the connection point due to repeated flexing.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Default trim & tilt repair

Thanks for the fast response. Now, all I have to do is get the '89 Yamaha running and install the '82 Tohatsu. Maybe, I'm the only guy around with three boats, all not running at the same time.......what-me-worry......it's Summer time & there's always the sailboat !
Old 06-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Default no juice to the engine

Here's another problem. On an '89 Yamaha 90 which I installed on a '95 Starcraft aluminum center console that was factory rigged for a Merc 90. Turning the ignition key does nothing although the horn & bilge pump will work. The only way to get the Yamaha to turn over is to run jumper wires direct from the pos & neg battery terminals to the starter side of the starter solenoid and an engine ground. Where-O-where did I mess up and yes, I have a Seloc repair manual. Hellooooooo.........help help help!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
gtxrider

Smile

Question #1. Did the engine start before? If yes than there is a possible wiring trouble. If no than the started/solenoid is suspect. Check for voltage at the solenoid with the key on. 12 volts? If you have voltage the solenoid is shot if not keep working back to the ignition switch. Does the starter have a good ground? Lots of possibilities.

Look on the bright side. The horn works and it won't sink if the bildge pump works.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Kenneth Breaux

Default tilt & trim

When I tilt my Suzuki DT150 at 45* and rave it up to load on the trailer the motor goes all the way down, also when I put the transom saver on and hit some large bumps the transom saver will come off and the motor will drop down. Please help. Thanks
Kenneth Breaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Breaux
...also when I put the transom saver on and hit some large bumps the transom saver will come off and the motor will drop down. Please help. Thanks
Use a bungee or rope to hold the t/s in place.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote