Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
DougNH

Default Baby on Boat

I was just wondering if people have brought babies on the boat. I believe from other posts you can get life jacks for babies but my wife is not comfortable with the idea in general. I know this is a personal decision but was just wondering how others thought. In our case we have a new born.
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Lakewinniboater

Default Sure

It definitely is a personal decision. We have had babies and children on the boat numerous times.

I will admit that I am very picky, I generally provide the life jacket so that I know it is certified and appropriate. I also will not bring them out unless the weather is good and I feel it is safe.

I also MAKE the parent put a life jacket on the baby at ALL times and DO NOT allow them to buckle them into the car seat if they are bringing it for them to sit in. (this is ONLY for when NOT underway.)

I don't allow children in the bow and they MUST have an adult next to them with their hands through the webbing on the life jacket for a firm grip.

If all this is done. I have no problems. I obviously don't have them onboard if I am towning a tube or skier, as it is just that one more layer of risk. I do drive a bit slower as well so that the children are not bothered by any excessive bouncing.

It is all about responsibility.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Baby on board

This is a really, really sensitive subject, and one not to be taken lightly. Taking a baby on board has nothing to do with the baby, it is, dad, all about the mother, in all reality. A new born will be in some sort of carrier, not a life jacket. The style of vessel makes a huge difference, to be dramatic, a sailboard vs the MV Mt Washington. If a family has the right boat, the operator is responsible, the weather is cooperative, and there are other responsible people on board, then, and only then, IF IN THE EYES OF THE MOTHER all is looking good, maybe a short boat ride for a baby. I am a die hard boater, but I had to learn this lesson three times- once with each of my two daughters, and then again with my granddaughter, Fortunately for me, I have a very wonderful wife and daughter and the lessons weren't too painfull. My older daughter wasn't even a week old and she was at Bailey's Restaurant (forerunner to Morrissey's Front Porch in Wolfeboro) and boating before the summer was over.

Back to the main point - boating with a baby on board is ALL ABOUT THE MOM.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
William_Philipp

also add other boaters to that mix, I dont know if I would take the chances on a weekend in weirs
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
codeman671

My son has been boating since he was 6 months old (born in Nov) and is 9 months now. It puts him right to sleep. Last year we had friends up almost every weekend with a preemie that was born at 30 weeks old. After spending a few months in the hospital and being cleared he was on the boat with us almost every week. He weighed 4lbs at this point. We used life jackets even if they were a bit big, being strapped in a car seat in an accident could spell disaster if thrown overboard.

Both my wife and our friend, the mother of the preemie had the utmost faith in the boat and driver (me of course!) and had no concerns. I would definitely make sure that the boat you are using is large enough to handle rough conditions on our not-so-always calm lake.

Would I take my own 4lb preemie out if I had one? I would think long and hard. A normal size baby of 6+ months that weighs in the teens? Yes, no hesitations.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
TomC

Default in September 1996....

...I took my then newborn to my brother's wedding at the Castle in the Clouds, then for his first boat ride at 8 days of age...! My daugher in 1999 went out at 14 days of age...

these were short cruises in dead calm water (with baby in mom's - who was wearing a life jecket - arms, to be sure), but we did it. Eventually, as toddlers, the kids fell asleep. Now at ages 7 and 10, they are very comfortable around water and boats.

So in short, it can certainly be done, but it is a personal decision. Frankly I think the ride north on 93 is more dangerous than the boat rides ever were - but you may feel differently
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Coolbreeze

Campguy hit the nail on the head. lf you do it, don'tplan on relaxing during the ride it is stressful,I know first hand. You are the one who has to answer to others god forbid something goes bad. There are alot of Morons on the lake. They may cause your boat to bounce in the wake. An infant can loose their breath in wind or by bouncing. Be careful. Help is a long way off.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH
I was just wondering if people have brought babies on the boat. I believe from other posts you can get life jacks for babies but my wife is not comfortable with the idea in general. I know this is a personal decision but was just wondering how others thought. In our case we have a new born.
If you are referring to putting a PFD on an infant, it isn't really a personal decision, unless you decide to disregard the law:

270:30-a Persons 5 Years of Age or Under. – No person operating or in control of a boat or vessel upon the public waters of the state shall transport a child 5 years of age or under unless said child is wearing a personal flotation device of a type approved by the United States Coast Guard; provided, however, boats, vessels and ships with continuous side rails enclosing the perimeter of the boat, vessel or ship, 3 feet or more in height and enclosed between the deck and the top of the railing in a way that would reasonably prevent passage of a small child are exempted from the provisions of this section.

Source. 1985, 347:4, eff. Aug. 13, 1985.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
hazelnut

Default Baby'S on board

My wife and I took our TWIN boys on the boat at 6 months old. We kind of had no choice..... We live on Cow Island. With a 23 footer and an attentive Mom boating was relatively smooth. It did put them to sleep that is for sure. Someone always had to be holding both boys though.

TomC said it right when he mentioned that the ride up I-93 can be more hazzardous than a well planned out baot trip with an infant. Good Luck!

Nightwing your post intrigue's me a bit. I had heard of this Law of allowing children not to wear PFD's if a boat has a 3 foot high enclosure etc. etc. I thought it was BS. Can anyone interpret or explain this further? Does this apply to runabouts with high freeboard? I would never allow my 3 year old to go without a PFD but this law seems to suggest we could????
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
Bear Islander

Trying to put a life jacket on a newborn just a few day old is a joke. But the only legal alternative is a floating baby carrier. They can right themselves in the water. However they are very expensive.

On an island you don't have much choice, transporting babies, handicapped and the elderly is part of the deal.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
Trying to put a life jacket on a newborn just a few day old is a joke. But the only legal alternative is a floating baby carrier. They can right themselves in the water. However they are very expensive.

On an island you don't have much choice, transporting babies, handicapped and the elderly is part of the deal.
Well stated, this was our situation (island living). A newborn in a jacket really does not stand a chance without obvious help. It may buy a few seconds of reaction time but that is all. We chose a jacket and sat them in a carrier (not strapped into it) or held low below a high windshield.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
Misty Blue

Default Kids and boats:

Dear dougNH

As previously stated I agree that it is just fine to take a child on board as long as you don't step out of the parent's "comfort zone".

I'll take this chance to segway to one of my favorite topics. Kids and PFDs.

With all of the ballyhoo about boater safety (speed limits, education. PWC and skiing rules etc.) is seems incredible to me that a child who is six years old is not required to wear a PFD when underway in NH! In Mass it is 11 and under.

Now some advice on the purchase of your new kiddie PFD.

1. It must be US Coast Guard approved.

2. (This is very important) It must be properly sized for the child. That is, on the lable of the PFD there will be information on chest sizes and weights of the child. It can't be too small and It can't be TOO BIG! When your seven year old takes a ride in Uncle Tony's boat, Uncle Tony's adult PFD just will not do. If the youth goes over the side with a "too big" life jacket (Type3) he will slide down into the jacket and end up with his arms in the air and his face below the water. Yup. This happens.

3. I like putting an infant in a PFD that has a crotch strap to keep the jacket from riding up and a floating collar with a grab strap to assist in recovering the little nipper if needed. That said we now begin our PFD training program. If you have never seen one before the infant PFD can be a scarry thing. Put it on in the house. Play in it. Try it out in the tub. Make it a game. With Mom and Dad's help he can play with it in the pool or lake.

Lastly, PFDs are not just for "in the boat". I have been in the Coast Guard Auxiliary doing search and rescue missions for over 17 years and I have never heard of a child drowning from falling off of a boat. It may have happened but it is rare. That is because kids are neve unattended while under way.

So when do kids drown? When the boat is at the dock. When the kid is not even on board. On the dock, at the beach, at the campground, at the river or brook, at the pond and in the pool. The statistics are dreadful and real.

Parents please keep your little ones in a PFD any time they are near the water. In the past ten years my wife had run over to the renters next door to grab their kid, with no PFD on, out of the drink. It is not so much that the parents were inattentive, they just let their guard down for a minute of two. That is all it takes.

OK, I'll get off of my soap box. Have fun and be safe!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
Kamper

The smallest PFD is rated "Child, under 30 pounds." If you cant find them in the sporting goods department check the pool section. They are more like a foam bib with a slit, handle and a sleeve for the infant.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
Airwaves

When I used to do safety exams on boats for the Coast Guard Auxiliary and I ran into parents with small kids who hated wearing PFDs I would suggest to the parent (usually the mother outside of earshot of the kids) that the next time they beach in shallow water to go swimming, take a couple of the appropriate sized PFDs and throw them in the shallow water, then make a game out of it with the kids called "The Life Jacket for Ice Cream" (or make up your own name and treat) It's a lot harder than you think. Winner gets a double scoop of ice cream, the others get a little less. If you make something fun it makes a world of difference.

As for bringing a baby on the boat, if you've taken all the safety precautions outlined in the other posts and the mother is okay with it, fine. Take it slow and easy, but if the mother is aprehensive about it then don't do it. Let the baby's mother be your guide.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

At three months my granddaughter was in the boat almost every day. She wore a life jacket and was in a bed on the floor. I was alone with her most of the time. I didn't do long trips alone though. Of course I was very careful if it was rough. She is 6 now and LOVES her life jacket. She is an excellent swimmer but still loves to wear it when swimming in deep water and can't wait to put it on in the boat even though she doesn't need it by law anymore. Today she informed me she was getting her boating license and I would have to use another boat because she was going to drive "this" one. I think it is all about how comfortable people are with the water.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
Lakewinniboater

Default ONE more item

As I am reading this.... I am remembering a very sad (turned out ok but...) incident in Center Harbor or Meredith.

The 2 year old had been out all day and became over heated with the lifejacket on and went into convulsions.

NOW....this is RARE!!!!

A child will become cranky, WELL before this. Please just make sure that in the sun and humidity that you take into account that if you are hot without a jacket... they are sweltering.

LOTS of fluids... force them if need be and frequent stops to wet them down. I have a shower nozzle on the swim platform and wet the kids down often when they complain.

Also, even though is wind it is a pain.... put the Bimini top up for some shade.

Remember as well, although sunscreen is needed and very important. It can sometimes clog little ones pores and hinder the ability to sweat .... which is the bodies way to cool down!

Sorry, don't mean to be a nervous nelly. I figure better to pass on the info than see a tragedy happen!

Have fun boating.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #17
NightWing

Quote:

Unless that floating baby carrier is Coast Guard approved, it isn't a legal alternative. A PFD must be wearable, and in a child's case, must be worn. A baby carrier can't be worn.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
Skip

Exclamation RSA 270:3-a, PFD requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing
...A PFD must be wearable, and in a child's case, must be worn. A baby carrier can't be worn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
...is seems incredible to me that a child who is six years old is nort required to wear a PFD when underway in NH!...
Both Nightwing and Misty Blue have interpreted NH's boating law in reference to PFD and children correctly....

For those interested, here is the particular RSA:

TITLE XXII
NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY
CHAPTER 270
SUPERVISION OF NAVIGATION; REGISTRATION OF BOATS AND MOTORS; COMMON CARRIERS BY WATER
Operation of Boats
Section 270:30-a
270:30-a Persons 5 Years of Age or Under. – No person operating or in control of a boat or vessel upon the public waters of the state shall transport a child 5 years of age or under unless said child is wearing a personal flotation device of a type approved by the United States Coast Guard; provided, however, boats, vessels and ships with continuous side rails enclosing the perimeter of the boat, vessel or ship, 3 feet or more in height and enclosed between the deck and the top of the railing in a way that would reasonably prevent passage of a small child are exempted from the provisions of this section.
Source. 1985, 347:4, eff. Aug. 13, 1985.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default We had two rules...

The car doesn't move until the seat belts are buckled properly

And the boat doesn't move until you have your life preserver on.

Seems like the kids found those two rules pretty easy to follow, especially when heading out for ice cream, going off swimming, ... .
Old 08-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #20
Rinkerfam

I'm glad this thread was started. My oldest son (now almost 7) started his boating life at the tender age of 4 months. My second son (now almost 4) started his boating life, just past the 7 month mark. Both boys wore a "halo" type vest from L.L.Bean that was rated for infants. I had no problem bringing either of them out onto the "big lake" as they were both healthy, large babies. Now my wife and I are expecting our third child sometime early next spring. This poses some unique concerns for us. This will be the first time that we will have an infant on board that will "trully" be a newborn. I'm confident in our boat's size, and I'm confident in my experience behind the wheel (23 years on Winni.), but I think that the first few outings will be just shy of relaxing. Thanks to this thread, almost a sign from a higher power, I will be extra certain that I have crossed all of my t's and dotted all of my i's as far as (family) boating safety is concerned.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #21
JAW1971

My son's first boat ride was 4 months old- we waited until we were comfortable with the way the lifejacket fit him. It was the kind with the 'grab handle' on it and I would have to hold him. Now at 16 months- he wears a Coast Guard approved 'infant vest' that he loves. He can walk around the boat or the shore, and he sleeps in it as well. Comfortable for him, comfortable for us. When he was in the infant carrier we did bring him on the boat- and we put the life jacket on him while he the carrier- he was uncomfortable and so were we. That is why I choose to just hold him.

We will be taking our first trip to Lake Winnie next weekend. I am not nervous because he has been in a life jacket all summer and on the boat all day with us. Usually he does fall alseep from a long ride.
JAW1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #22
Phantom

Well DougNH -- did you get enough above?

Seems everyone is in general agreement that that boating with infants/toddlers is not really an issue -- it's all of the secondary (or in this case they become primary) issues like Mom's comfort level, truely think about YOUR comfort / confidence level as well in the event that something should occur, etc

I would like to add a couple of other personal observations to the mix that I didn't see above.

Let me preface it by saying that I (like Rinkerfam and others) have been boating Winni for many, many years and now our kids (who grew up as infants boating) have our Grandchildren (infants through age 4 now) out on a regular basis on the Big Lake.

Observations / experiances:

You will find it nearly impossible to find a Coast Guard Approve PFD that fits an "infant" securely!! Shop around -- I can't tell you how many different jackets we've bought and returned through the years (not counting the ones still stowed below, barely used). Our sucess came from Target of all places. I truely believe that the "Jacket" manufacturer's missed this target market

A lot of discussion above (that I agree with) centered on Mom. No one mentioned the baby!! No one said it would be easy -- but like anything else -- the child will tend to dictate wether you go out and for how long you stay out. Many a time we have simply turned around and returned to the dock.

A lot of discussion is raised above about PFD's while in the boat. I tend to take that one a step further. Granted this isn't "infant" but rather "todler" age grandchildren -- Jackets are "On" while on the dock!! There is (in my opinion) much higher risk of one of our cuties hitting the water as they are passed onto / out of the boat that while they are in it.

Finally, I think you will find the boat is even better than a car ride for administering "nap time". Seems like every time we ever go out -- Bam, one or both were sound asleep within 10-15 minutes .......

I am a huge supporter of getting kids comfortable with boating (and boating activities like tubing/skiing etc) as soon as they are ready.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #23
NightWing

Default Infant Size PFD

Here is one 15 to 30 pounds.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
Old 08-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #24
NightWing

Default From A CG Web Site

Children panic when they fall into the water suddenly. This causes them to move their arms and legs violently, making it hard to float safely in a PFD. A PFD will keep a child afloat, but may not keep a struggling child face-up. That's why it's so important to teach children how to put on a PFD and to help them get used to wearing one in the water.
To work right, a PFD must fit snugly on a child. To check for a good fit, pick the child up by the shoulders of the PFD. If the PFD fits right, the child's chin and ears will not slip through.
PFDs are not babysitters. Even though a child wears a PFD when on or near the water, an adult should always be there, too. Parents should remember that inflatable toys and rafts should not be used in place of PFDs.

Your Questions: What do you recommend for a 7 month old child? She rides in the car seat while in the car but it seems like that would sink like a rock if the boat ever capsized. What should she sit in and what type of life vest would you recommend that she wear?

USCG response: We recommend a Type II infant PFD for a child of this size.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE - Since infants and children come in many sizes and shapes, the U.S. Coast Guard and personal flotation device (PFD) manufacturers urge that PFDs be tested immediately after purchase. You should test your PFD in a swimming pool. Test it with the infant or child who will be wearing the PFD. Just because it works for one infant or child does not mean it will work for another in the same manner. Check for proper weight range, comfortable fit, and especially a stable face-up position in water. Infants and children are difficult to float in a face-up position because of the distribution of body weight and the tendency for them to struggle or attempt to climb out of the water. Some infants and children float best in one style of vest, while others will float better in another. If one does not work well, try another style. Remember: Never leave an infant or child unattended on a dock, on a boat or in-the-water, even if they have a PFD on."

The major PFD manufacturers make them. You can find them in any store that carries a good line of boating accessories. There are also a number of online sources where a Type II infant PFD can be purchased. The following table is a list of Type II infant and Infant/child PFDs:

Manufacturers

Phone Number

Model Numbers
THE COLEMAN CO INC
P O BOX 1119
LAKE CITY SC 29560 Phone: 803-394-8893
FAX: 803-394-3940 150, Infant
WELLINGTON LEISURE PRODUCTS
1140 MONTICELLO HWY
P. O. BOX 244
MADISON, GA 30650 Phone: 706-342-1916
FAX: 706-342-0407 900PE, Infant/Child Small
ERO INDUSTRIES INC
585 SLAWIN COURT
MOUNT PROSPECT IL 60056-2183 Phone: 800-323-5999
FAX: 708-803-9223 351B, Infant;
ICS, Infant/Child Small;
KCS, Infant, Child Small; and
ICS-1 Infant
KENT SPORTING GOODS
433 PARK AVE SOUTH
NEW LONDON OH 44851 Phone: 800-537-2970
FAX: 419-929-1769 2PW, Infant/Child Small and
2PWV, Infant/Child Small
Full Throttle Flotation Inc.
7413 Slater Avenue
Huntington Beach, CA 92647 Phone: 714-848-5878 212, Infant
MUSTANG ENGINEERED TECH APPAREL
3810 JACOMBS ROAD
RICHMOND BC V6V 1Y6CANADA Phone: 604-270-8631
FAX: 604-273-6466 MV-3150, Infant
OMEGA MARINE PRODUCTS
1638 PARKER AVE
FT LEE NJ 07024 Phone: 201-944-4471
FAX: 201-944-3193 MW-10, Infant
STEARNS MFG.
P O BOX 1498
ST CLOUD MN 56302 Phone: 320-252-1642
FAX: 320-252-4425 PW-3001, Infant

The following are related questions that have been asked pertaining to baby seat type PFDs for infants:

Question: What are the recommendations/requirements for seating of infants in a recreational craft?

USCG response: If an infant is onboard a recreational boat, there must be an infant Type II personal flotation device (PFD) available for that individual. We recommend that the infant were the PFD at all time while onboard the boat. There are no USCG requirements for infant seating on any recreational boats. USCG does not have a policy regarding infant seating on recreational boats

Question: Are there break away infant seats available?

USCG response: There are no USCG approved infant seats currently approved, and there are no such devices being tested to meet our PFD requirements. We are not aware of any such device being sold.

Question: Does the USCG endorse any infant seats?

USCG response: At this time we do not, because none have been submitted for testing. If a manufacturer designs one and submits it for testing, we will consider it for USCG approval. Recently, there have been interest from inventors who are developing such a device. But to date, none have submitted their devices for testing.

Question:What PFD does the Coast Guard recommend for infants.

USCG response:Frankly, for any newborn up to 18 pounds, we do not recommend taking onboard a recreational boat, because current devices are not adequate for all newborns. Unless the parent is able to test their newborns out in a PFD, sized for infants, in a swimming pool, they will not know if that device will float their child with his/her head out of the water. Unless you know the PFD you have works for your infant, why put the child at any risk.

small_rod.gif
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #25
ossipeeboater

when we started my daughter out she was about 9 months old. Fortunately out boat has a good size seating area so we actually used to put the portacrib in the boat and put a lifejacket on her. Kept her in place without needing to be constantly held.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #26
DougNH

Phantom, yes the information here is outstanding.

Thanks so much for all the responses/discussion as this information has certainly helped us. Having been on the lake for a couple of years with our older children (10 & 12) the new born (3 weeks old) really made us think of the safety issue. For the season we will give up the family rides and look forward to next year when the baby will better fit a infant PDF and I am not so tired from being up all night...
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #27
camp guy

Default Baby on board

To DoughNH: you are a smart guy !! Enjoy next season.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #28
ThePlut

Default Good call, I think

I think that's a good call, I like to think that my kids were practically born on boats, but in reality, I think 2 months was the youngest that we hit a lake, and that was at a pond a buddy of mine keeps his boat on, so we could get on/off whenever we wanted.

Last year, my youngest was 5 months old at the start of the season.

3 weeks would give me pause too.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #29
lfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH
Phantom, yes the information here is outstanding.

Thanks so much for all the responses/discussion as this information has certainly helped us. Having been on the lake for a couple of years with our older children (10 & 12) the new born (3 weeks old) really made us think of the safety issue. For the season we will give up the family rides and look forward to next year when the baby will better fit a infant PDF and I am not so tired from being up all night...

Echoing the sentiments of others, probably a wise decision. I can't imagine it would be a very relaxing day on the water.

By the way, Congratulations on your new addition!

lfm
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #30
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Speed's not important either!

When our son's family came up last month, we took a ride down to the Weirs and Rhiannon (14 mos old) was good as gold. We were up on plane most of the way to the Weirs. After eating at Waldo Peppers, it was a nice slow cruise down into Paugus bay, back out and down past Governors and under the bridge, all at headway speed. Back up on plane east of Governors to around West Alton, and then back to a crawl over to Clay Point and back. On the last part, Rhiannon, out like a light, was laid down on a bed of towels to finish her nap. Her infant preserver with it's collar made a perfect pillow, and the perserver itself helped keep her still, all the while within arms reach of Mom. The slow cruise was great...it lengthened the time we had together out on the lake, made conversation easier(quieter), and was relaxing for Mom (and everyone else.) Actually, Dad shared in the holding of Rhiannon while she was awake, but as in most cases, it was Mom doing most of the watching. Of course, 7 year old CJ, up from Texas where he lives with his Mom, he kept saying "When are we going to go fast again, Grandpa?????"
Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #31
Bear Islander

Its nice that the USCG recommends not taking a baby under 18 pounds on a "recreational boat".

However I live on an island.

My boat is "essential transportation" not "recreational boating". I have made many boat trips including one speed run to the ER that could not be considered recreational by any definition of the word.

On the mainland when you call an ambulance it comes to your home. On an island you must transport by boat to the ambulance.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #32
Airwaves

Since the overwhelming majority of recreational boaters don't live on islands and just use their boats for fun, that is who the CG is addressing but even if they were taking island residents under consideration, their version of island life might be very different than yours like in access via commercial ferry vs a recreational boat. Doesn't matter that it's your only access to the island it's still a recreational boat.

For instance, the MV Mount Washington was once a commercial ferry and even now as a tour boat children and infants do not need to wear life jackets on board her.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #33
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
For instance, the MV Mount Washington was once a commercial ferry and even now as a tour boat children and infants do not need to wear life jackets on board her.
........................and it has enclosed railings at least 3 feet high...............

"boats, vessels and ships with continuous side rails enclosing the perimeter of the boat, vessel or ship, 3 feet or more in height and enclosed between the deck and the top of the railing in a way that would reasonably prevent passage of a small child are exempted from the provisions of this section."
Old 08-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #34
Airwaves

Quote:
Nightwing wrote:
........................and it has enclosed railings at least 3 feet high...............
Exactly! and while some recreational boats fit that profile, they are very high end. There may be a few but I don't see a lot of them on Winni (or many other places where the rich and famous don't hang) which is why the CG recommends not taking an infant under 18 months on board a recreational boat.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #35
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
Exactly! and while some recreational boats fit that profile, they are very high end. There may be a few but I don't see a lot of them on Winni (or many other places where the rich and famous don't hang) which is why the CG recommends not taking an infant under 18 months on board a recreational boat.
I edited my post for clarity. It is BECAUSE it has railings three feet high. There is no exemption from PFD requirements just because the boat is or is not a commercial vessel, ferry or whatever. Read the area of the law again where it says "boats, vessels and ships................................"
Old 08-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #36
Coolbreeze

I started swimming at 5 months old, not by choice either. My dad tied a rope to me and threw me in. When I ask him about it, he just mumbles that it seemed like the thing to do at the time. I turned out okay!?!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #37
Waterbaby

What a great thread! I've had my son (now 11) on the boat since he was 8 months old. He was, of course, in a properly-fitting PFD at all times -- I would have him in it well before heading to the water. That was a good point made above, I was always nervous about the passing-over of the baby from dock to boat!

We would also take the carrier seat for him for when we were anchored or docked - it fit snugly between the bow seats and it gave my arms a rest. He would usually be in the carrier while we were in a NWZ also, then back to Mom's arms!

There were two things I didn't see mentioned in the prior posts. One is that the PFD should, preferably, be a bright color -- think "needs to show up in water in case of emergency". Blue and black blend in too well.

The second thing...... when son was an infant, there was some type of strap thing available at West Marine-type places. One end would hook onto the child's PFD and the other end could hook around either the boat rail or the adult's wrist or onto the adult's PFD. I never hooked it around the boat rail (what if the boat flipped, we would more than likely become separated in the water) but rather to my own PFD, which I wore religiously for several years when he was young.

Good thread, good points, and shows that while boating with an infant/young child may not be the most relaxing time spent on the water, it can be done.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #38
Airwaves

Nightwing
I understood the post, yes if a vessel has 3 foot enclosed railings a PFD is not required and it has nothing to do with the status as a commercial or recreational boat.

As I pointed out very few recreational boats fit that profile, but most if not all commercial ferrys serving islands (not on Winni) do.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #39
ApS

Quote:
"...Its nice that the USCG recommends not taking a baby under 18 pounds on a 'recreational boat'..."
Especially when it comes to Jet-Skis. Too many infants have passed by here transported by mom or dad. It's time for concern, IMHO. Though dogs have been among my family's most trusted members for many years, none have exceeded 15 pounds.

When this posed photo arrived as part of an e-mail, the same concern for infant-safety returned to me as when infants ride in—or on—boats.

You just never know.
Attached Images