Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
HellRaZoR004

Default Docking/Anchoring

During busy weekends I usually see long lines (often times inconsiderate people) at the popular public docks (Meredith, etc.) waiting to find a spot.

Are there any regulations that prohibit you from dropping anchor out of the way and either swimming in or using a kayak to get to the docks? Has anyone ever done this?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Pricestavern

Exclamation Bad Idea

Kayaking and especially swimming near public docks when busy is an extraordinarily bad idea. You are in major peril of being run over because you cannot be seen (even in a kayak). This is an absolute case of Don't Do It!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Kayaking and especially swimming near public docks when busy is an extraordinarily bad idea. You are in major peril of being run over because you cannot be seen (even in a kayak). This is an absolute case of Don't Do It!
Huh, swimming maybe. But if you hit me in a NWZ b/c you can't see me you best have a good lawyer.

Out in the middle of a high traffic channel where boats are up on plane is a completely different story.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Phantom

The other question to consider ..... do you REALLY want to leave your boat unattended off a Public dock just swinging off a hook ?

On extremely busy days, I simply run my bow to the end of one of the Public docks -- let my wife (and whomever) off and then simply drift well off in the Bay until the cell phone rings ... quite peaceful .... and comes with a show ... watching everyone jockey for position trying to get a slip

LIforrelaxin (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Woodsy

I don't think there is rule that says you cannot anchor.. as long as you are far enough away to not be a navigational hazard or impede public access to the town docks.

You def cannot anchor off the Weirs during bike week..... The fun police put an end to that!

Woodsy
HellRaZoR004 (02-08-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
During busy weekends I usually see long lines (often times inconsiderate people) at the popular public docks (Meredith, etc.) waiting to find a spot.

Are there any regulations that prohibit you from dropping anchor out of the way and either swimming in or using a kayak to get to the docks? Has anyone ever done this?
Here is the thing there might not be a rule currently against it... However if people started to do it, almost certain legislation will be introduced to stop it.

While available room at some locations is inadequate it is what it is.....

There are some places where I could see it being viable.... Meredith for instance, because you could anchor off and swim or kayak into shore completely out of the way on the far side of Lago from the town docks....

No real out of way place, in Center Harbor, the Wiers, or Wolfeboro.....

As I tell people all the time, if you really want to boat around the lake to ports of call, do it during the week.... I have altered my work schedule in the past to accommodate this in my younger years....
HellRaZoR004 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Here is the thing there might not be a rule currently against it... However if people started to do it, almost certain legislation will be introduced to stop it.

While available room at some locations is inadequate it is what it is.....

There are some places where I could see it being viable.... Meredith for instance, because you could anchor off and swim or kayak into shore completely out of the way on the far side of Lago from the town docks....

No real out of way place, in Center Harbor, the Wiers, or Wolfeboro.....

As I tell people all the time, if you really want to boat around the lake to ports of call, do it during the week.... I have altered my work schedule in the past to accommodate this in my younger years....
I agree, you can have Saturday with 100,000 people. I'll take Tuesday with maybe 7 other boats
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
V ger

Default Dockside ESD and other means to improve the gene pool

Besides the obvious dangers of swimming near docks any dock equipped with AC power outlets poses the very real danger of Electro Shock Drowning where low level currents present in the water paralyze the swimmer and that person drowns. These currents are most often sourced by boats that are improperly wired and/or not equipped with galvanic isolation. Because of the relatively low conductivity of fresh water (as compared to salt water) few lake boaters pay much attention to galvanic isolation. It is because of this low conductivity that a swimmer may find themselves as the best conductor in the area and be unable to swim or call for help. These deaths are often not recognized as any thing other than a normal drowning since the currents are so low that they may not cause any tissue damage.

Swimmers may also fail to recognize how easily they may drawn into the propellers of a boat maneuvering into or out of a dock space.

An other hazard to dockside swimmers is the potentially high levels of carbon monoxide present.

Common sense and simple courtesy would dictate that dinghies, kayaks and other small and large craft would stay clear of any one docking or getting underway.
V ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
Dave R

I wonder how well Mediterranean mooring off the end of the public docks would go over. It would create another dock space at the end of every dock. Tying up that way would be ideal at the dock space along the sidewalk in Meredith too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
V ger

Default Dockside ESD and other means to improve the gene pool

Besides the obvious dangers of swimming near docks any dock equipped with AC power outlets poses the very real danger of Electro Shock Drowning where low level currents present in the water paralyze the swimmer and that person drowns. These currents are most often sourced by boats that are improperly wired and/or not equipped with galvanic isolation. Because of the relatively low conductivity of fresh water (as compared to salt water) few lake boaters pay much attention to galvanic isolation. It is because of this low conductivity that a swimmer may find themselves as the best conductor in the area and be unable to swim or call for help. These deaths are often not recognized as any thing other than a normal drowning since the currents are so low that they may not cause any tissue damage.

Swimmers may also fail to recognize how easily they may drawn into the propellers of a boat maneuvering into or out of a dock space.

An other hazard to dockside swimmers is the potentially high levels of carbon monoxide present.

Common sense and simple courtesy would dictate that dinghies, kayaks and other small and large craft would stay clear of any one docking or getting underway.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
V ger

Default Med Moor

I have often thought of how many spaces Med mooring would open up in places with long docks paralleling the shore but wonder how many people could do it. Many places have visiting boats raft at the docks often 2 or 3 deep. I guess the short stays at any of the docks on Winnipesauke would be a problem as well as some rather unusual legislation. It seems such a waste to see so many fine docks going unused over night. What a great source of income overnight dockage could be for the towns. I can't help but think it would also be a boon to local eateries etc.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
8gv

Quote:

Unknown.

I often see MP in these areas. I suggest you ask them or call their office.

What I envision as the proposal is the following:

Boat is motored to a safe spot in a dock where passengers can step off.

Captain motors away to a spot where anchoring will not interfere with other traffic.

Captain sets the anchor and paddles to shore in kayak.

Kayak is left on shore, captain joins passengers at restaurant.

Kayak disappears, captain swims...

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Unknown.

I often see MP in these areas. I suggest you ask them or call their office.

What I envision as the proposal is the following:

Boat is motored to a safe spot in a dock where passengers can step off.

Captain motors away to a spot where anchoring will not interfere with other traffic.

Captain sets the anchor and paddles to shore in kayak.

Kayak is left on shore, captain joins passengers at restaurant.

Kayak disappears, captain swims...

Best advice yet, actually - perhaps one of the few that actually answered the question. Like many topics on this forum you get everyone's expert opinion.

Kayak drifting away under human power was a concern
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 AM   #14
Reilly

Default swimming

Just another CASE of YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
Kamper

FWIW: I have done "Touch and go" at the pier head so my passengers could go ashore. Unfortunately, I was the only one who could 'drive' so I didn't get to go pee for a few hours.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #16
Woodsy

Its not illegal to anchor your boat and leave it unattended.... its just illegal to anchor overnight on Lake Winni... happens every weekend at sandbars all around the lake!

Some of you guys need a Boater Education refresher course!

Woodsy
HellRaZoR004 (02-09-2016), Reilly (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Pricestavern

Default Dead to Rights

Quote:
Huh, swimming maybe. But if you hit me in a NWZ b/c you can't see me you best have a good lawyer.

Out in the middle of a high traffic channel where boats are up on plane is a completely different story.
I maintain that it's an extremely hazardous and a very bad idea. Yes, you might sue me if I hit you in a kayak because I couldn't see you, but then you run the risk of being knocked over and chopped to fish bait by someone's propeller. Sometimes being 'right' isn't worth the argument.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #18
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
I maintain that it's an extremely hazardous and a very bad idea. Yes, you might sue me if I hit you in a kayak because I couldn't see you, but then you run the risk of being knocked over and chopped to fish bait by someone's propeller. Sometimes being 'right' isn't worth the argument.
So let me get this straight, you don't want me kayaking in Meredith Bay?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #19
LastonBoard

I think he is just saying to use common sense. In even light chop a kayak can disappear behind waves making it even harder to see. In these situations kayaking down the middle of the lake is not the brightest thing to do.

One can be right and still be stupid.
LastonBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LastonBoard For This Useful Post:
Reilly (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
Pricestavern

Kayaking around the town docks on a very busy weekend where boats are coming into and out while others mill around waiting for their turn is a hazardous endeavor.

Kayaking in and around Meredith Bay was not part of your originally proposed question, only around the town docks.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #21
noreast

Quote:
If you think you might hit a kayak when you are at no wake speed I suggest for all our sake that you turn in your permit.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (02-09-2016), ishoot308 (02-09-2016), Phantom (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
If you think you might hit a kayak when you are at no wake speed I suggest for all our sake that you turn in your permit.
I'll take it one step further...if you think your going to hit a kayak going wide open throttle and I don't care where you are on the lake...please turn in your permit...
HellRaZoR004 (02-09-2016), LIforrelaxin (02-10-2016), Winnisquamer (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Kayaking around the town docks on a very busy weekend where boats are coming into and out while others mill around waiting for their turn is a hazardous endeavor.

Kayaking in and around Meredith Bay was not part of your originally proposed question, only around the town docks.
They rent kayaks and SUPs at the Town Docks!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #24
Pricestavern

Smile Imho

Do what you wish.

In my opinion, kayaking around the town docks during a busy weekend is foolhearty. Nothing says you can't, though. As a person who's done much kayaking over the years, I would not venture into an area where there is a lot of boating traffic. You're just asking for trouble.

Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #25
Joebon

Someone should start a launch at the town docks on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #26
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebon View Post
someone should start a launch at the town docks on the weekends.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

great idea!!!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #27
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Nobody really *thinks* they are going to hit a kayak (IMO). But I would agree that kayaking around the docks on a busy weekend is creating undue risk for all involved with no gain (other than a kayaker trying to prove "I can be here").

When the docks are full and there is a line-up of boats, peoples sight lines are generally looking 5-6' above the water. Eyeing the docks, the other boats, catching eye-contact with other captains, etc. It would be very easy for a kayaker to wind up in a sort of blind-spot as a boat starts moving. The risk increases as you get closer to the docks, I've seen people throttle back/forward hard (too hard, really) to keep from hitting docks, other boats, etc.

Yes, of course you should be aware of everything around you, but I'd be shocked if even the most responsible and experienced boaters here haven't had at least one "Oh ****! That was close!" incident in their time on the lake.

I'm not saying the kayaks don't have a right to be there, and I'm not saying anyone should really "expect" to hit a person in the water, but *purposefully* doing some anchor-and-kayak-in maneuver is creating undue risk for a lake that already has too many stupid restrictions. Don't give the nanny-law people another bit of ammunition to use to further limit what is permissible.
Pricestavern (02-09-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #28
LSBA Joker

Default Kayaks crossing dock area

No arguments about right of way, etc, but, the clueless kayakers out of EKAL who simply wander about the docks on a busy weekend are a hazard to themselves and others. In all fairness, so are the boaters who don't bother to their turn, keep a steady watch, etc.
Be nice and be safe. Boating is supposed to be (mostly) relaxing, right?
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote