Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Sal

Default New option for comment ??

Right now, we have the option of either using a "quote" or giving a "thumbs up - thanks" to any post we read. There are no other options - other than posting our own (well reasoned, of course) opinions on a following thread.

I propose that there should be a third option: a "thumbs down - boo" option.

Many times, I feel like jumping on a post or poster, for what I believe is
bull-bleep . . . but I don't want to say, in the following post, "that's bull-bleep". Seems rude and perhaps wrong-headed.

I'd much prefer to click a box, under the thread; a box that shows a thumbs down symbol and says "Boo". I understand that the "boo" would be attributed just as the "thanks" is, at present.

What do YOU think?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sal For This Useful Post:
John A. Birdsall (02-15-2013), Reilly (02-09-2013), ushaggerb (02-10-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
ITD

I don't like the idea, if someone disagrees I like to see the reason so I can decide if that person is full of bull-bleep or making a great point, just having a thumbs down adds nothing to the conversation where a thanks is self explanatory and adds to the thread without having to read the same points over and over again. IMHO...
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-09-2013), BroadHopper (02-09-2013), Cobalt 25 (02-09-2013), Diana (02-08-2013), gillygirl (02-09-2013), jeffatsquam (02-09-2013), Just Sold (02-09-2013), Newbiesaukee (02-09-2013), NoBozo (02-09-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (02-10-2013), Resident 2B (02-09-2013), Rusty (02-09-2013), Slickcraft (02-09-2013), SteveA (02-09-2013), trfour (02-09-2013), Whimsey (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I propose that there should be a third option: a "thumbs down - boo" option.
Adding a "Groan" button was discussed in this thread a few years ago. At the time most members were against it.

If current members really want it I'm willing to try the "Groan" button, possibly with a 1 per day restriction (suggested by Mee-n-Mac in this thread). Please vote in this little poll:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Kamper

Maybe it's my new computer but I'm not seeing which button is Yes and which is No.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I know the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Maybe it's my new computer but I'm not seeing which button is Yes and which is No.
Kamper, you need to stop jumping up and down and let your eyes focus!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Whimsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Good one, upthesaukee. Maybe we need a LOL button.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Winnisquamguy

I see the problem as people jumping in on a conversation just for the sake of talking when they have no idea what is going on. We need a nice word for a BS button.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Newbiesaukee

I understand that, as usual, our Webmaster is trying to do what most of us think is best. In general, I'm against any new button. Specifically, I don't like the "groan" button as it is ambiguous as a way to communicate. A groan can be a " teenager's eye roll" or a very real " what BS." It doesn't add anything to communication.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-10-2013), Belmont Resident (02-10-2013), Grandpa Redneck (02-09-2013), Resident 2B (02-10-2013), songkrai (02-09-2013), WakeboardMom (02-10-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My laugh of the day. I am still laughing! Thanks!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I understand that, as usual, our Webmaster is trying to do what most of us think is best. In general, I'm against any new button. Specifically, I don't like the "groan" button as it is ambiguous as a way to communicate. A groan can be a " teenager's eye roll" or a very real " what BS." It doesn't add anything to communication.

Thank you. I agree.

Some here have strong opinions about lake speed limits, no wake zones, helmeted UN police patroling the cities and towns, northern pass, private property, trees, woods, land use, out of staters, locals, dogs, cats, polite and rude people in and about the Lakes Region and on and on.

Why mock them.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Kamper

Hardee, har har... But seriously. Which one is which?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-11-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
phoenix

Songkrai you forgot about restaurants
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Hardee, har har... But seriously. Which one is which?

Top "Yes"

Bottom "No".

Last edited by Rusty; 02-15-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Removed image
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Winnisquamguy

Default Facebook

How about what Facebook has the like button and people have been pushing for them to get a dislike button.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
ushaggerb

Default "Not Tracking with You"

I think Sal has a really good point. As time goes on, more people get involved, the system becomes very "interrupted." Sometimes an ill-perceived comment is truly meant to be harmful, sometimes the person's just not tracking with the conversation (and you can't track with what they're saying).

Seems reasonable to ask for clarification, and have an easy way to do it. Best if it can be done "bcc.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Kamper

@ Rusty

No, really I cannot see that in Don's post. After voting I could see the graphic bars but it still poll did not display properly for me. Maybe it's Toshiba/Windows 8 thing. I haven't had a chance to look t it on my other computer. Thanks for illuminating it for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
NYCtoLSP

Smile Dislike

There are a lot of theories and opinions out there regarding whether or not a dislike button is a good thing. Some think that having a dislike button fosters negativity, and I can agree with that. Saying thanks and liking what others are saying makes this forum a positive experience. I just read an article that states, "Approval engenders solidarity and helps group identification." But what about those who have a dissenting opinion?
http://www.theeuropean-magazine.com/...dislike-button

I have also read another article about how boring the internet has become since the early days when people anonymously trolled on forums and were really nasty to one another. "These days, life online has become friendly, well mannered, oversweet. Everyone is on his or her very best behavior—and if they’re not, they tend to be quickly iced out of the conversation."
http://nymag.com/news/features/internet-nice-2012-11/

Some interesting reads!
NYCtoLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoLSP View Post
There are a lot of theories and opinions out there regarding whether or not a dislike button is a good thing. Some think that having a dislike button fosters negativity, and I can agree with that. Saying thanks and liking what others are saying makes this forum a positive experience. I just read an article that states, "Approval engenders solidarity and helps group identification." But what about those who have a dissenting opinion?
http://www.theeuropean-magazine.com/...dislike-button

I have also read another article about how boring the internet has become since the early days when people anonymously trolled on forums and were really nasty to one another. "These days, life online has become friendly, well mannered, oversweet. Everyone is on his or her very best behavior—and if they’re not, they tend to be quickly iced out of the conversation."
http://nymag.com/news/features/internet-nice-2012-11/

Some interesting reads!
Or since the thumbs down is already there for use in the title why not allow for that to be used with no comments made.
I can say I have tried this and been disappointed when it wasn't available.
Sometimes you just want to disagree with something without getting into a pissing contest like happens countless times.
Same with posting a photo, you can't just post a photo without typing something in as well, that is a pain in the ass as well.
You should be able to type something in the title and just post a photo.
I guess there are quite a few changes that could be made to make this a more user friendly site.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
tis

I don't think I like the idea either. I think it is negative ( as NYC said) and hurts feelings.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
WakeboardMom

In my local paper we have a "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" column. One can post a totally anonymous comment there, as opposed to writing and signing a letter to the editor.

People feel like they can say whatever they wish there...because they can. If a comment is posted, it's not edited, and folks sling all kinds of negativity there.

I think a "Thumbs Down" button here would engender more negativity than is necessary. If you disagree with me, please let me know why. Take a moment and state your argument. Don't just toss out, "You're wrong" and walk away. Sometimes we need to be shown the other side of the coin.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Don't fix what isn't broken

Don has done a great job with the Forum from day one.

It has maintained a mostly positive tone with the occasional disagreement. Don has taken the real negativity and moved it to it's own place leaving the main portion of the Forum a place where people can get a lot of information about the lake, the region, area businesses, and current events.

Many people who aren't fortunate enough to live on or near the lake visit the Forum often for their daily dose of happiness and information,

If a negative button is offered people will use it too often and turn many posts into a battle of opinions and a contest to see who can get the most "thanks" or "thumbs down". Adding controversy does not seem like a great idea.

I think leaving it as it is is just fine. This gives people who disagree with a post the opportunity to write the reason for their objection or conflicting opinion and identify themselves. This requires them to be accountable for their thoughts and opinions which is how I think it (and life) should be.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Diana (02-12-2013), Grey Goose (02-17-2013), Newbiesaukee (02-12-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (02-17-2013), Resident 2B (02-12-2013), trfour (02-12-2013), WakeboardMom (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
gillygirl

Default Off topic

Can we add an "off topic" button? I hate it when threads get sidetracked, particularly if they start getting political. Perhaps the thread will get back on topic quicker if a bunch of people push the off topic button.

GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Can we add an "off topic" button? I hate it when threads get sidetracked, particularly if they start getting political. Perhaps the thread will get back on topic quicker if a bunch of people push the off topic button.

GG
Sometimes yes sometimes no. If things didn't get off track this would become one dull and boring forum real quick.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
camp guy

Default New option for comment ??

I have developed the habit of responding directly to a poster if I disagree using the 'private message' method. This keeps my opinion about what was posted only between the original poster and me, and, I have received some interesting feed back. This keeps the discussion between two posters, and not out in the open for everyone to jump in and fan the flames.

Now, I realize that this may not always work, but it is worth trying.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Or since the thumbs down is already there for use in the title why not allow for that to be used with no comments made.
I can say I have tried this and been disappointed when it wasn't available.
Sometimes you just want to disagree with something without getting into a pissing contest like happens countless times.
BR that would work but not enough people agree to disagree on this site.Everyone wants to be right and they will do everything in there power to do it. Lying included. Its a shame what this world has come to. You just cannot have a good debate anymore.It will get off topic after 15 or so people have answer anyway.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Pontoon Goon

Default new catagory

I can't help but to think it would be funny to see a line under the "Thanked 99 times in 35 posts" stating "Groaned at 350 times in 5 posts". Do you think FLL would be top groanee ?
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
It's one more button what's the big deal if you don't want to use it well don't. What current faces add anything to a conversation now??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #28
Newbiesaukee

It isn't a "big deal," just giving an opinion which I had thought was asked. Regardless, this "groan" button, as I understand it,would be similar to the "thanks" button and not just a new "emoticon" if that is what you mean by "current faces."

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #29
tis

Here we are, all giving our opinions again, when I don't think Don even asked for them. As he said it was discussed before and decided against. I guess we have chimed in anyway, and I guess things can change.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Don asked for our opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Here we are, all giving our opinions again, when I don't think Don even asked for them. As he said it was discussed before and decided against. I guess we have chimed in anyway, and I guess things can change.
Posted by Don:

Adding a "Groan" button was discussed in this thread a few years ago. At the time most members were against it.

If current members really want it I'm willing to try the "Groan" button, possibly with a 1 per day restriction (suggested by Mee-n-Mac in this thread). Please vote in this little poll:

Should a "Groan" button be added next to the "Thanks" button on posts on the Winnipesaukee Forum?
Yes, add a "Groan" button.
No, keep it the way it is.

See resultsvote
web polls

I think if look above you will see that Don actually did put a poll on thi site asking us to vote. I interpret that as asking for our opinion. Even though he controls the site it is very nice that he cares what the participants think.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #31
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Posted by Don:

Should a "Groan" button be added next to the "Thanks" button on posts on the Winnipesaukee Forum?
Yes, add a "Groan" button.
No, keep it the way it is.

See resultsvote
web polls

I think if look above you will see that Don actually did put a poll on thi site asking us to vote. I interpret that as asking for our opinion. Even though he controls the site it is very nice that he cares what the participants think.
Sorry, you are correct. I didn't realize that was actually a place to vote. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (02-15-2013), TiltonBB (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
SIKSUKR

Default Off Topic

Quote:

GG
Kind of like this post?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #33
ITD

Quote:

GG
How about this?? People actually have used it in the past, not too effective in my opinion.....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I propose that there should be a third option: a "thumbs down - boo" option. Many times, I feel like jumping on a post or poster, for what I believe is bull-bleep . . . but I don't want to say, in the following post, "that's bull-bleep". Seems rude and perhaps wrong-headed.
What do YOU think?
Bad idea, I say.....

No reason given. How do you like them...

Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #35
gillygirl

Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Kind of like this post?
Don't think it's off topic since opinions were asked about adding a thumbs down button. I just specified that I thought a different button was needed.

GG
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #36
Pineedles

Although I don't think an actual poll was taken several years back, it appeared to me that a greater number of people were against adding a groan, et. al button then there now appears in Don's current poll at the beginning of this thread, 52% against, 48% for. I don't know if the poll is still active.

Update: The poll still is active, as the percentages have changed. Now 53% Against, 47% For.

Last edited by Pineedles; 02-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #37
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Off Topic Button

Quote:

GG

There is an Off Topic Button... In the Smiles to the right, click [More] for more smiles. It is the last one, bottom right.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
tis

I am with Belmont in that why does it really matter if we go off topic? When you have a conversation with someone, you almost always go off topic. One thing leads to the next and that is how a conversation continues. You can always bring it back on topic with a new post. JMO.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #39
gillygirl

Default It's different

But I'll give up now.