Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Winnipesaukee Bay Gulls

First, I will say that we have been customers of WBG for a number of years. Their bagels are very good.

It seems, however, like many small service businesses, they get overwhelmed during the busy season, which results in poor customer service and snippy attitudes.

Since we have about a 15 minute drive each way to their shop, we typically call in our order so it is ready for pick-up. Yesterday, I called repeatedly, only to hear a fast-busy signal, so I just drove over. When I arrived, there was a line of maybe 5 people....not bad. When it was time to place my order, I told the woman I would like a Cinnamon Sugar bagel, to which she replied, "we're out". I said, "OK, well just dip one of the plain bagels in the Cinnamon Sugar...you've done that before". Her response was, "we only have 3 plains left, and we're too busy to do that". (huh?)

I said, "so you can sell me a plain, but not a plain dipped in cinnamon sugar?....never mind, I'll take 2 plain and 2 sesame"

I then asked if they were having problems with their phones, because I had called repeatedly and got a fast busy. Her reply was that they took the phone off the hook because they were too busy to answer it. I said that that was really annoying as a customer, since it is prominently displayed on their website to "call ahead". She just gave me a blank stare....

I'm guessing that they had been much busier before I got there, because the woman was clearly frazzled, which translated into being snippy with me. Time to take a bagel vacation till after Labor Day.....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
MeredithMan

Default WBG = Winnipesaukee Bay Gulls...

I just re-read my post and realized I did not state what WBG stood for....oops
Old 06-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Pineedles

That is poor C.S. However, some of the younger crowd just doesn't get it, and doesn't care. I see it everywhere. As an example, my wife went to the Home Depot bought several items, paid and then left. When she got home she realized that the clerk didn't ring up one item. She returned to the store and told the clerk about the forgotten item. The response was OK, rang it up and said that'll be $14.95. No "thank you", no "gee you're a real honest person". Nothing. She proceeded then to talk to the manager about what happened. the manager looked at the receipt and kinds sighed and said, "yeah she has been spoken to about this and her attitude is kinda poor". My wife resisted the temptation then to say, Then why don't you fire her and get someone else!" FRUSTRATING!!!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
First, I will say that we have been customers of WBG for a number of years. Their bagels are very good.

It seems, however, like many small service businesses, they get overwhelmed during the busy season, which results in poor customer service and snippy attitudes.

Since we have about a 15 minute drive each way to their shop, we typically call in our order so it is ready for pick-up. Yesterday, I called repeatedly, only to hear a fast-busy signal, so I just drove over. When I arrived, there was a line of maybe 5 people....not bad. When it was time to place my order, I told the woman I would like a Cinnamon Sugar bagel, to which she replied, "we're out". I said, "OK, well just dip one of the plain bagels in the Cinnamon Sugar...you've done that before". Her response was, "we only have 3 plains left, and we're too busy to do that". (huh?)

I said, "so you can sell me a plain, but not a plain dipped in cinnamon sugar?....never mind, I'll take 2 plain and 2 sesame"

I then asked if they were having problems with their phones, because I had called repeatedly and got a fast busy. Her reply was that they took the phone off the hook because they were too busy to answer it. I said that that was really annoying as a customer, since it is prominently displayed on their website to "call ahead". She just gave me a blank stare....

I'm guessing that they had been much busier before I got there, because the woman was clearly frazzled, which translated into being snippy with me. Time to take a bagel vacation till after Labor Day.....
Did they tell you to "HAVE A NICE DAY" when you left.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Did they tell you to "HAVE A NICE DAY" when you left.
HA!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
MeredithMan

Default Have a nice day...??

No, I think what they said was more like, "don't let the door hit you in the a___ on the way out!!"
Old 06-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
... which translated into being snippy with me. Time to take a bagel vacation till after Labor Day.....
Having read your post I have to say that it sounds to me like you were the one that started the "snippy" attitude.

Maybe next time you could speak to the manager instead of venting your frustrations about a non working phone and out of stock bagels to a minimum wage/part time worker.

HAVE A NICE DAY
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Having read your post I have to say that it sounds to me like you were the one that started the "snippy" attitude.

Maybe next time you could speak to the manager instead of venting your frustrations about a non working phone and out of stock bagels to a minimum wage/part time worker.

HAVE A NICE DAY

First, the phone wasn't "non working," it was deliberately taken off the hook. Second, you don't know that the unhelpful woman serving the OP was a "minimum wage/part time worker," and even if she was, it does not excuse her behavior or, for that matter, a respected business like WBG for allowing it.

As longtime fans who have always found WBG friendly, we're disappointed to hear about the OP's experience but very grateful that he reported it since we haven't yet been there this summer. It's a long trip for us from Wolfeboro to WBG, so we call ahead, too, as the OP mentioned that WBG suggests --it's very useful to know that if their phone line is busy for more than a few minutes, we shouldn't bother wasting our time trying to get through.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownstoneNorth For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (06-27-2016), MeredithMan (06-28-2016), SteveO123 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
MeredithMan

Default To Clarify My Original Post...

Outdoorsman--

Just to clarify a couple of points from my original post about WBG:

1) I was not complaining about non-working phones. When I asked if they were having problems with the phone due to the fast busy signal, the lady said they deliberately took it off the hook. Why position to your customers that they can call ahead and then take your phone off the hook?

2) When I asked for the cinnamon sugar bagel, the lady said, "we're out". I then asked if she could dip a plain in cinnamon sugar as they have done in the past, (at their own suggestion to me), her response was "no, we only have 3 plains left". So I could buy a plain bagel, but not have a plain bagel dipped in cinnamon sugar, as that would be "wasting" the plain? It was a nonsensical statement, as either way, a plain bagel would be sold.

Obviously, we do not know one another, but I can tell you that I am about as polar opposite from being a "snippy person" as one can get. It was not the way I was raised, nor is it the way I live my life. I treat everyone with courtesy, respect, and a smile, and I expect the same in return, especially when I am paying for someone's product or service.

You may be familiar with the small grocery chain in CT, Stew Leonard's, which has a maniacal focus on customer service. In each of Stew's stores is a large carved stone right as you walk in that reads something to the effect of: "Our Rules: 1) The Customer is always right. 2) If the Customer is wrong, Refer to #1"
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (06-28-2016)