Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Gray Fox?

After church on Sunday, I took home a whole lot of sandwich bread trimmings and tossed them out into the yard for the birds.

Seems this guy (gal?), likes bread!

I think it's a gray fox, about the size of a small dog, about 18-24" at the shoulder. It was after dark, so this picture is pretty grainy. I cleaned it up with some software best I could. ( for the photographers out here this is, RAW, f/5.6, 1/40th.sec, ISO 3200, 250mm lens, 13.6m distance to subject)

Name:  gray fox Gilford 7-7-13.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  86.4 KB
Airedale1 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I think gray fox

see the link for a difference between gray and red foxes.

They mention the black on the tail for a gray fox and that a red fox will have black "booties" on their feet.

This fox has the black on the tail, although you can't quite see the tip, it does appear to be black to the tip. It also does not have "black booties", tending to say it is a gray fox. Regardless, thanks for posting.

Here is the link: http://www.wcax.com/story/14075241/grey-fox-or-red-fox
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

That's a grey fox. I had one in my yard a few years ago. FYI, I spotted it only 20 feet from my house ans my cats were out there hangin. Both cats ran up the trees so I sighed a little relief. Until, I went online to research what kind of animal it was. Grey fox which 1 of only 2 canids in the world are able to climb trees. Yikes, can't imagine seeing a dog in my tree!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
That's a grey fox. I had one in my yard a few years ago. FYI, I spotted it only 20 feet from my house ans my cats were out there hangin. Both cats ran up the trees so I sighed a little relief. Until, I went online to research what kind of animal it was. Grey fox which 1 of only 2 canids in the world are able to climb trees. Yikes, can't imagine seeing a dog in my tree!
I thought the same thing with my cats that are outside, I saw that about the tree climbing, weird. But they also say (whoever "they" are) that they usually don't bother full size cats, but will go after kittens and other small animals. They also range over about a 20 mile area, so I don't think I'll she him/her too often.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

That was my one and only sighting Steve.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah if you want fox visiting your yard, just throw out bread. They love it.
The Foxes in Suissevale are very used to being fed. I have had several fox almost walk up to me. I even had one that I named Papa that would come sit next to me while planting in my flower beds. Even fell asleep next to me one day. Alas I believe he passed on a few years ago as I have not seen him since.
There are a couple others that have taken his place though, with multiple litters living under my shed during the month of June. They must get used to seeing me or something. For the most part I just leave them alone and try not to mow my lawn as much in June. Don;t want to stress the mother out.
RIP Papa...
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
cillovely

I've had a few appear in my yard down here near Boston from time to time. Red ones, not grey. One appeared in my driveway one night at dusk, freaked me out a bit because like previously posted, my cats were out. But he just went on his way and my cats came home. I do have a brook running thru my back yard so I'm sort of near water.

At night though, if they are mating or whatever it is, they can make the most scary and loud calls. At the time fisher cats had been spotted in my area as well, but after doing some internet research and talking to a neighbor who has a night cam, it was determined to be the foxes.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Nice capture!