Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Noonan00

Default Schuster's Tavern

This gem of a tavern is located in the renovated Gunstock Inn and Resort. We had an excellent meal (make sure you try the pork wings), friendly service, and it is comfortable setting. We'll definitely be going back and this time with friends!
Noonan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noonan00 For This Useful Post:
bclaker (07-26-2014), BroadHopper (07-27-2014), KarenM (07-26-2014), Maria (07-28-2014), RLW (07-25-2014), trfour (07-26-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Maria

Thumbs up Schuster's Tavern

So glad we got to try this weekend too! Good selection, reasonably priced, no lines, no waiting. Service was a bit out of sorts, but the poor waiter was alone.
Hoping someone could answer a question about snowmobiling up to the Gunstock Inn. Do we have trails that would take us up there? We were told no from the staff at the Inn, just wondering if anyone knows. Would be a great little place to unwind after a great day of snowmobiling!
Thanks to anyone who might know!!!
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
So glad we got to try this weekend too! Good selection, reasonably priced, no lines, no waiting. Service was a bit out of sorts, but the poor waiter was alone.
Hoping someone could answer a question about snowmobiling up to the Gunstock Inn. Do we have trails that would take us up there? We were told no from the staff at the Inn, just wondering if anyone knows. Would be a great little place to unwind after a great day of snowmobiling!
Maria, Trail access changes at times, contact these Folks and they will help you out...
http://www.belknapsnowmobilers.com/

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Maria (08-06-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Thumbs up We liked it

Stopped in yesterday and we were very satisfied. We had the appetizer special, spicy pork wontons, and the Gunstock mushroom flatbread pizza. Both were excellent. We also had the 603 Winni Ale on draft, very good.

Everyone was very friendly, the chef came out to check on how we liked the food. They are looking to get year round locals like us, as well as summer folk, to give the place a try.
Attached Images

Last edited by Slickcraft; 08-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Maria (08-06-2014), Overlake97 (08-09-2014), SteveO123 (08-01-2014), Whimsey (08-09-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Lyver

Default New local favorite

Stopped in to Schuster's Tavern on Thursday night for the Timberman Team Captain meeting and enjoyed delicious jerk wings and well drinks, so brought my husband up for lunch today and enjoyed a wonderful lunch. We were the only people in for a little while, which was nice, got to chat with the server and chef, both of them very friendly and have worked hard at perfecting the menu. They serve food made from fresh ingredients, which is important to us. Enjoyed a delicious fish chowder and fried cheese appetizer to start, shared a calamari and then I did a BLT with awesome homemade fries and hubby did the buffalo wings. Great dining experience, our only comment is that we ordered bloody mary drinks and they could have been a bit stronger. We will definitely be back, loved the atmosphere and friendly staff. Definitely recommend checking it out!!!
Lyver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyver For This Useful Post:
Maria (08-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Bostonian

So my wife and I had dinner last night at Schuster's and we were very pleased with the service and meal. We arrived around 5pm as were were going to the movies. We were greeted by Mike, who I believe is the manager of the tavern, who was also our waiter. He was very nice and helpful in terms of the menu.

My wife and I ordered burgers, specifically the veggie burger for my wife and the Tavern Burger. Both burgers were very good, although my wife did say that the veggie burger was a little heavy on black beans. Nonetheless, both dishes were very good. The star of the show though was the fries! I could have eaten a pound of them alone! All in all a very great place to dinner, and so close to our house in the Acres. We plan to be regulars when we head up to our house there.

On a side note, the Schusters have done a great job in restoring the Inn. You certainly can see the time and effort put into the restoration. I cannot wait for ski seas to make use of the pub during the winters and a short walk home!
Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bostonian For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Maria, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in September 2008. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for coming back and posting your thoughts about the restaurant and your question about snowmobile trails. Try and come back a bit more often.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Bumble2249

Default Schuster's Tavern

Had lunch there yesterday. The decor made me have flashbacks to my grandmothers house back in the 70s! The food? Not even in the same league as Patricks, Elyacoya. Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
lobstadanca

Default Delicious!!

Four of us had an excellent dinner at Schuster's Tavern. We enjoyed the fried cheese appetizer, the prime rib special, salmon and the trio of filets. They were all delicious including the amazing au gratin potatoes. Prices were reasonable and service was great! The chef also came out to ask how our meals were. I agree this is a hidden gem!
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Bumble2249

Quote:

Lol! There will definitely never be a line!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
belly_button_biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Lol! There will definitely never be a line!

based on your previous forum posts I'm led to believe this place may be pretty decent and maybe a threat to whichever restaurant it is that you are loyal to. It has quickly jumped to the top of both Yelp and Trip Advisor for Gilford.I look forward to trying it.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belly_button_biter For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by belly_button_biter View Post
based on your previous forum posts I'm led to believe this place may be pretty decent and maybe a threat to whichever restaurant it is that you are loyal to. It has quickly jumped to the top of both Yelp and Trip Advisor for Gilford.I look forward to trying it.

))) what was I thinking??You got me! You should really go try it.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
))) what was I thinking??You got me! You should really go try it.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #14
Newbiesaukee

I have no horse in this race, but it's 4:15 am and I'm bored so...

If you Google restaurants in GILFORD on Tripadvisor; Schuster's is, indeed, #1 of 19.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I have no horse in this race, but it's 4:15 am and I'm bored so...

If you Google restaurants in GILFORD on Tripadvisor; Schuster's is, indeed, #1 of 19.

Yeah but not even close on Yelp.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Zeke

Default Reviews

I was surprised to see as many reviews on Trip Advisor as I did. And it is indeed # 1. I thought the high rating would be from a small sample. But there is a reasonable amount of reviews. That strikes me as a good start for a newer restaurant. I have not eaten there yet, but will no doubt give it a try.
I also checked out yelp, but found nothing. I do look at online reviews for a working idea, but do not put total faith in them. I also check the history of those who post a poor review, for context. And for the record, I do post reviews on Trip Advisor. My ratings are based on context of the reviewed place. I have given 5 stars to pub grub restaurants, and less to 3 star Michelin locations.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeke For This Useful Post:
Woodlandsgirl (12-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
Slickcraft

Thumbs up another nice visit

Stopped by again this evening after closing the island camp and had a very nice meal. We split a Schuster salad with shrimp and a flatbread pizza, both very good. They have expanded the draft taps from 4 to 10 or 11 with a good selection. We were happy that 603 Winni Ale is one of the taps. Actually we had filled out a slip to vote on our 1st choice which was the 603. "Live free and drink 603"!

Good to see the Gunstock Inn brought back to life, they have been doing well on weekends this fall. Hopefully locals like us will help out during the week.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #18
GodSmile

Default Great people great meal

Went to Schuster's Tavern earlier this month. Early Sunday afternoon and they were just opening up. They lit a fire as we sat there and were some of the nicest people we've met. I had the Bourbon steak and it was some of the best steak I've had. We will be back there a lot!
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #19
lobstadanca

Default Kudos to Chef Nick

We had another delicious dinner last night, the white lasagna special, seafood mac and cheese and caesar salad!!
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #20
livenh

Default Schusters Tavern

I was at Schuster's a few weeks back. The fireplace is great and makes the space feel very comfortable. I agree that the stuff animals/dolls could go. However I'm sure they are there for some reason unknown to us. Our waitress was alone and certainly handled everyone with no problems. The food we ordered was all good.

No, you cannot compare it to Ellacoya but I have given up on Patrick's. After burning my nachos to a crisp and them doing absolutely nothing about it, I guess that was the last straw for me. Not the first time the food was not prepared properly (and really - nachos - how can you mess those up?) but it definitely was the last.

I have absolutely no complaints about Schuster's. The prices were reasonable - they certainly compared to other places in the area. A bit off the beaten path but not so far as to make it a hassle to get there. I plan to go again.
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #21
AltonGuy

My wife and I visited Schusters Tavern last Sunday night having heard beforehand all the positive reviews on this site. I am pleased to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our visit! The restaurant/tavern possessing a 70's-ish motif, is in itself very charming. With its high ceilings and warm, homey atmosphere it is very welcoming. It is also extremely clean and you can see the owners really care about the place and take great pride in it. We didn't see an abundance of soft animals about - as read in other posts, but they were here and there. Several children were actually taking pictures of them during our visit, which was very cute, and one can deduce from this that they are displayed to make it a family friendly atmosphere. Our server was very friendly and attentive, playing double duty that night as both hostess and server. Our food was really good too. We both had the Turkey and Rice Soup leading up to our main meal and it was delicious. My wife equated it to having Thanksgiving in a bowl! My wife had a BLT that had very fresh ingredients and tasted great, whereas I had the Pork Shank entree. It was very moist and flavorful and literally fell off the bone as you cut into it. We both enjoyed our time there and are trying to plan our next visit real soon. Hope this place does well. As commented in another post, its a bit off the beaten track, but its well worth the extra time to get there!
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AltonGuy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-29-2015), Crusty (01-29-2015), GBGX2 (01-29-2015), SteveO123 (01-29-2015), Whimsey (01-29-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #22
SteveO123

Default Stopped in on Saturday

Hi,

The lovely Mrs. SteveO and I decided to give Schusters' a try on Saturday afternoon. There were only a couple of other diners with us in the dining room but the bar was full of patrons enjoying themselves.

First impression was that it was cavernous. The tall ceilings give it a volume that doesn't say "cozy", like perhaps at Ellacoya. In addition I was expecting a view of the lake because of the location, but instead got a view of the hotel's indoor pool. I'm not complaining, just "saying" (as the kids say).

We were greeted by a friendly barkeep and our server was attentive and friendly. After perusing the somewhat limited menu for lunch, we decided to try a couple of the flatbreads. What a great choice! We shared 2, the first the "meat lovers" and the mushroom/caramelized onion.

We had to wait a real long time for our food, which was interesting since there was only one other party of 4 ahead of us. I guess they had a skeleton crew in the kitchen which is completely understandable for the size of the lunch crowd. We were in no hurry though, although a quite a bit more hungry by the time the pizzas came out hot and fresh.

Worth the wait? ABSOLUTELY! The crust was thin and delightfully crispy and the toppings were delish! Our fave was the mushroom/onion, you could taste each flavor from the fresh mushrooms to the blue cheese sauce. We enjoyed half of each pie there and took the rest home for Superbowl treats!

We will be back again for sure. Friendly service, great tasting food and of course delightful IPA on tap! Worth the wait!

Cheers,
Steve
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #23
Greene's Basin Girl

We had dinner at Schusters last weekend and the meals were fabulous. I had the Bourbon Steak and a wonderful soup. Others had Beef Wellington, Pizza Salad etc. The food was fabulous and the meat was cooked to perfection. The twice baked potato was great and the vegetables were cooked perfectly. Our server Cheyenne was attentive and personal. It is now my " Want To Go To Place." The one problem- it is a rather long drive from Moultonborough!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #24
Leoskeys

Default Schusters Tavern

Great food, the decor is dated/odd. Awesome fireplace. The service was a bit slow, but food was fantastic.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #25
GodSmile

Default Slow service an understatement

Love the food and owners are very friendly however last time we went, we sat at the bar for 15 minutes with no offer of service. Ended up leaving and going elsewhere.... they need to get their act together for more consistent service. Hopefully they will because they seem to be great people and the food is out of this world.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #26
drwamcross

Default Fantastic Dinner

My wife and I ate at Schuster's for the first time on Saturday evening. We had called for a reservation, were greeted by the owner and seated right away. I had a Cajun Swordfish and my wife had the Bourbon Steak, both accompanied by a twice baked potato and grilled asparagus. Both dinners were delicious and we topped it off with a caramel apple pie with vanilla ice cream. It was nice to see that the place was packed on a winter Saturday evening. Schuster's ranks right up there as one of our favorites along with Lyon's Den.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #27
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

From the Baysider
Quote:

GILFORD — The Gunstock Inn, 580 Cherry Valley Road, Gilford, announces the beginning of its Sunday afternoon singalong music programs in Schuster’s Tavern starting Sunday, March 15, from 1 to 3 p.m., featuring classic popular songs that bring back marvelous musical memories including Broadway show songs, country, rock, folk, jazz, standard and Latin songs, French, Irish, Scottish, Italian, German, Hawaiian and gospel songs, with the lyrics projected onto a widescreen television and the music played by piano stylist Bob Kroepel, who also plays dining music in Schuster’s Tavern on Thursday and Friday nights; beverages and food will be available in Schuster’s Tavern; for reservations or more information, call The Gunstock Inn - 293-2021

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #28
Slickcraft

Default Schuster's Bourbon Steak

I tried the bourbon steak last evening and agree with drwamcross that it is excellent. My wife had the Salmon Schuster's Way which was very good. Business is slower on non Holiday week days but the food is still very good.

Our only disappointment was that 603 Winni Ale was not available however it should be back soon.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #29
AltonGuy

Default Good again!

It had been a little while since my wife and I ate at Schusters, but we went last night, envisioning the coziness from their big and inviting fireplace. We were not disappointed at all - Fireplace was lit and it was very warm and cheery inside. We had the Wing Appetizer special with Asian Chili Sauce and they were delicious. We also shared a bowl of Cream of Mushroom and Peppered Beef Soup which we agreed was one of the best soups we have both ever had. We also shared a Shaved Steak Pizza which was extremely tasty. All in all a great experience and a good value for our dollar. The owner himself waited on us and took the time to explain some back history and what they are doing next with the place. They are currently in the process of painting and updating the exterior, and we believe it looks better already! So glad this place is doing well, and it is one of our favorite places to go in the winter months. Just wanted to share!
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltonGuy For This Useful Post:
Reilly (11-17-2015), Whimsey (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #30
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonGuy View Post
It had been a little while since my wife and I ate at Schusters, but we went last night, envisioning the coziness from their big and inviting fireplace. We were not disappointed at all - Fireplace was lit and it was very warm and cheery inside. We had the Wing Appetizer special with Asian Chili Sauce and they were delicious. We also shared a bowl of Cream of Mushroom and Peppered Beef Soup which we agreed was one of the best soups we have both ever had. We also shared a Shaved Steak Pizza which was extremely tasty. All in all a great experience and a good value for our dollar. The owner himself waited on us and took the time to explain some back history and what they are doing next with the place. They are currently in the process of painting and updating the exterior, and we believe it looks better already! So glad this place is doing well, and it is one of our favorite places to go in the winter months. Just wanted to share!
I really enjoy going to Schusters and the food is great!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #31
Leoskeys

Default Brunch

Hit the brunch today. Only $12, including Omlett station. Food was good value, not amazing but more than worth $12! Hours are 8-2. Not busy on a Sunday at 11am, but I expect when ski season begins that'll change.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #32
Taz

Default not good

I am surprised by the good reviews this restaurant received here and on Trip Advisor. To start, the inside of the restaurant is in need of a complete remodel. Very old, dark décor, also had an odor, maybe because of the pool, seat cushions all flattened out from being old. Service very poor, walk in and you seat yourself but then there were no employees around so how does any one know you are there, waited maybe 10 minutes and walked up to the bar, no bartender but the waiter appeared and said, I saw you and said he would be over, so why didn't he come over if he saw us, its not like it was busy only 2other tables occupied and they were already taken care of. 5 minutes later he pours water but did not have menu's, 5 minutes later returns with menu's but does not know the draft selection so he has to return with draft menu's, takes our drink order and starts to leave and I say "we want to order now" based on how long it took to get menu, drink order etc. French onion soup was good, not great, bourbon steak tips not good, a little tough and the tips looked like a steak cut up, not like any tips I have ever seen, bourbon glaze was not good, very strange flavor, they were not marinated, it appeared the glaze was poured over the tips after being cooked, not like any bourbon glaze I have ever had. French fries over done and had some kind of seasoning or something fried on them, not sure what. Another in the party had fish and chips, batter was dark, overdone.
It was priced like mid range to fine dining and its not even close. For instance, Patricks, Ellacoya have lower priced meals and food is much better. Thought we would try something different. Will stick with known favorites from now on.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote