Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Captain Nemo

Default TV Reception On Boats

I got my 2006 280DA with the TV antenna mushroom broken off on delivery, and the dealer will soon replace it. I'm not expecting to get any good TV signal aroung Lake Winnipesaukee, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyways: what's the point of having it, and what's the current trend and future in getting TV reception (like CNN, movies etc) on boats? Isn't it true that it is very, very costly, just like sat phones?
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
XCR-700

Never thought of watching TV on a boat,,,

But then given the size of my current ride, it could be a challenge even if I was interested,,,

XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
KTO

That's so sad. Doesn't a television completely defeat the purpose of coming to the lake for the weekend? That's why I love living here when I used to live in a small city...it's so OUTDOORS and GREAT! The heck with TV (Unless you get the Sox game)
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
I got my 2006 280DA with the TV antenna mushroom broken off on delivery, and the dealer will soon replace it. I'm not expecting to get any good TV signal aroung Lake Winnipesaukee, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyways: what's the point of having it, and what's the current trend and future in getting TV reception (like CNN, movies etc) on boats? Isn't it true that it is very, very costly, just like sat phones?
You get get a directional antenna for over-the-air HDTV, or get a small satellite setup. The initial equipment might set you back several hundred dollars, but after that the monthly subscription costs for a satellite system are just like for a home setup, $40-$60/mo (or more, depending on what packages you get).
Captain Nemo (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
VtSteve

I have a small 7" set just to test it out. At my marina, I have pretty good reception from the single pole antenna, line of sight for digital TV. Some spots are no go. Once you get the antenna fixed, get a small tv set and try it out. You might get lucky and have good signals.

Here's a good BoatUS article on the subject.

http://www.boatus.com/husick/techno11_01.asp

Myself, a couple of local channels and an iPod will suffice. Every now and again, we'd want to see a show at night, movie, recorded TV series, whatever. If you have a DVD player on board, or an iPod or whatever, the possibilities are endless (almost).
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Captain Nemo (07-05-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default VuQube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
These aren't cheap but they work great! They are also extremely portable and can be used anywhere!

http://www.kingcontrols.com/vu_qube/vq1000.asp

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Captain Nemo (07-06-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
NoRegrets

We have the same TV setup you have and could only get a very week signal from a Portland station. It was so poor that you could only hear the sound and see fuzz. We do not try anymore. I am sure if you were in Boston or near big cities it may work. When we get back to our slip we have a cable hookup so get a great set of channels. If you choose to get a satilite dish I think some of the equipment may require 120 volts so you would need a generator. If there is something important to watch we will record it and wait till we get back.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
Captain Nemo (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
John A. Birdsall

Default TV and Boating

Let see using a TV while cruising the lake, keeping up with Leave it to Beaver, or Gunsmoke, worse yet the young and the restless. Might seem cool, but what about watching where you are going. You have a TV I would therefore expect that you have GPS, and perhaps your GPS has it so you have cruise control. So you can go sit down and watch the price is right while gps steers the boat. Might as well have a coctail while your at it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
VtSteve

Since the vast majority of boat TV's, though not all, are located down in the cabin, I think the OP will be fine with it. I assumed he meant on the hook, at a marina, wherever.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Marina TV

Most marinas on the lake have cable TV hookups at each dock. It works great when you use your boat like a small summer home. I know Mountain View Yacht Club (284 Slips) has cable TV available at every dock.

A while ago when I used my slip there a guest asked how the cable worked when we went out on the lake......................I explained how we reeled out the cable as we departed and cruised across the lake.

Hmmmmmm............... time to get new passengers!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
jrc

We have cable at the dock, which is great at night for ball games. We tried our mushroom antenna at the sand bar once or twice during football season, could not get anything worth watching. Got channel 9 once in a while and 6 from Maine a few times. So we turn on a radio for sports.

If you get a sat dish and you have satelite at home you can use the same reciever and account. I've thought about it to avoid cable fees but never tried it. You would have to solve the 120 volt issue if your 280 dosen't have a generator, or only use it at the dock.

Every time I pull the mushroom off, for the shrink wrap and put it back on in the spring, I wonder why I just don't throw it away. Too much work to patch the hole in the arch.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
XCR-700

You guys are killing me with all this talk of watching TV on boats,,,

I’m tempted to haul my plasma TV off the wall in my family room and see if I can stand it up inside my CVX

Any thoughts on where I should mount it ???

I may need to string a dingy along side, do you think there are any rules about running cables between them,,, LOL

Sorry, but having never had anything bigger than 23' the idea of having a TV and satellite antenna just is something I cannot relate to,,,

I'm sure on a bigger boat and one with more amenities its a whole different boating experience.

In my CVX I can reach down and touch water from the drivers seat, and though my 23' Carlson is a few inches deeper, its only a few inches and as I once read stated, "it has a cuddy cabin, but its not meant for human adults,,," so the thought of having a TV in the cabin is just not something I have ever considered.

Ok, I concede to the bigger ships and their creature comforts and will stop heckling from the cheep seats,,,
Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Guy

Plenty of room.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
XCR-700

Ya, but do I now have to follow sailboat rules, or is it sailboat rules while under power, or maybe powerboat rules while under sail,,,

Oh sorry, guess thats another post,,, LOL

Hummm, now where can I mount the popcorn maker,,,, Damn, running out of boat,,,