Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default South Tamworth Post Office to Close

South Tamworth Post Office slated to close.

A public hear was held on Tuesday January 24, 2012 at the Tamworth Union Hall. The hall was packed to capacity.

The US Postal Service gave a presentation as to why the S. Tamworth Post Office was chosen and in general why the Postal Service is closing many post offices throughout the country.

In attendance was a Michael Scala who is a special assistant to Senator Kelly Ayotte. No one came from Senator Jeanne Shaheen office nor from Representative Frank Guinta’s office.

What was brought up in all of this is that your Post Office may be next. The Postal Service has plans to regionalize the US Postal Service and to consolidate offices. All of the smaller post offices such as Gilford, Alton, Silver Lake, Tuftonboro, Melvin Village, Meredith and many more may close if the plan goes forward. The Postal Service wants large big box retail units consolidated in different areas throughout the country with all smaller post offices closed.

For those with post office boxes – space could be rented in stores for pods. If no space is available then a pod would be placed outside at some business.

But the Post Office is going bankrupt, right? That’s what the newspapers and TV news stories state. FALSE.

The US Postal Service – even with electronic banking and email is still in the black but for ONE REASON.

H.R. 6407: Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act 2006

What this law does is mandate that the US Postal Service pre-fund health care costs for employees that have not yet been hired.

“In 2006, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act. This law requires the Postal Service to do something that no other business or government agency has to do–pre-fund its FUTURE retiree health care benefits. This is a 75 year liability that has to be paid in 10 years. The Postal Service makes a payment of approximately $5.5 billion on September 30 at the end of every fiscal year to meet this obligation.”

LINK

No other government agency NOR no other private company has to do this.

Without this obtuse law the US Postal Service would be in the black financially EVEN with online banking and email.

As the TV commercial states: There is nothing in this country more secure then a sealed envelope delivered to your home or PO Box then a paper letter.

With the demise of the South Tamworth Post Office will come the demise or your local post office.

With the demise of your local post office can and could be the demise of what little downtown we all have.

I suggest all write to there federal representatives and demand that you don’t want any post office closed in New Hampshire. If they close South Tamworth – yours may be next.

The Honorable Frank Guinta
US House of Representatives
1223 Longworth House Office Building
Washington DC 20515
Phone (202) 225-5456

Senator Jeanne Shaheen
520 Hart SOB Washington, DC
20510 Ph: (202) 224-2841

Senator Kelly Ayotte
188 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
kauriel (02-03-2012), Pricestavern (02-02-2012), RLW (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

The Post Office,Social Security,Medicare,Amtrack and everything else the government runs is broke............just turn the mail over to UPS and it will get done right for less money
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-29-2012), TiltonBB (01-30-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
The Post Office,Social Security,Medicare,Amtrack and everything else the government runs is broke............just turn the mail over to UPS and it will get done right for less money
So sorry SAMIAM, wrong answer. As the Professor said, this quasi-government agency is pre-funding employee's retirements whom they haven't even hired yet. Why? Because Congress made them do it back in Nixon's tenure whose administration created the USPS rather than the Department of the Post Office. Actually not a bad idea, but in times of economic trouble we see the fallacy of such an edict.

I don't work for the USPS, but I deal with the world postal industry everyday. Don't condemn them for what is happening right now. There is plenty of things they have screwed up, but this current situation where they must close offices and cut back on delivery isn't one of them.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
So sorry SAMIAM, wrong answer. As the Professor said, this quasi-government agency is pre-funding employee's retirements whom they haven't even hired yet. Why? Because Congress made them do it back in Nixon's tenure whose administration created the USPS rather than the Department of the Post Office. Actually not a bad idea, but in times of economic trouble we see the fallacy of such an edict.

I don't work for the USPS, but I deal with the world postal industry everyday. Don't condemn them for what is happening right now. There is plenty of things they have screwed up, but this current situation where they must close offices and cut back on delivery isn't one of them.
Pineneedles:

The post office along with most everything in the government is gushing red ink. The fact of the matter is that the US mail system has lost roughly 25% of its volume due to the internet and this figure is projected to grow substantially in the coming years. This is primarily why it is gushing red ink and why it will get worse. We we all need to make sacrifices to keep our country solvent and strong. Closing a bunch of post offices and eliminating mail delivery on Saturday is an easy choice and one I'm ready to make. Future government cut backs will make the post office issue look like child's play.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Oh,I get it.....it was Nixons,Bush's,Reagans,(select one) fault....silly me.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

I'll weigh in here.I can't remember the last time I went to a post office.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default It's all about productivity

The basic difference between the profitable UPS and the bankrupt USPS is worker productivity and waste.

Just watch a UPS driver: Always hustling and doing about twice as much work as a USPS worker every day.

There are many examples of waste in the Post Office:

When I was growing up the mailman (on foot) in our neighborhood for over 20 years spent 3-4 hours a day hanging around at a local gas station. I asked him what time he would get through every day if he kept moving along and he thought he could finish his route by noon. As it was he was getting 3-4 hours of overtime every week.

Two postal workers from Peabody Ma were fired after they were arrested for sitting in a jeep smoking dope in the middle of the day. They had been repeatedly observed before they were arrested. They got their jobs back.

I know of a postal worker who has been out on disability for over ten years because of narcolepsy. Strange, I thought sleeeping on the job was a qualification for them.

Many postal workers earn $50,000 to $80,000 per year. That is a pretty good salary for a job with little or no qualification or education requirements.

While it is sad that some of the offices are closing, the Post Office is a victim of it's own failures and lack of productivity of it's employees.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Winnisquamguy

When I moved up here it was hard to believe that the post offices would be closed so much. The Sanbornton office is closed everyday from 12-3 pm and the Winnisquam office closes from 12-1:30 everyday. Hard to make money when you are closed so much in my opinion. Down south they leave the lobby areas open 24-7 and the desk is never closed for lunch.I don't get much through regular mail anymore besides junk mail so it would not be a big deal for me. I have most accounts set up paperless and pay most bills online so no stamps needed.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Oh,I get it.....it was Nixons,Bush's,Reagans,(select one) fault....silly me.
I wasn't saying that SAMIAM, in fact Nixon did a good thing making the conversion. And yes, to the others chiming in there is a lot of waste, laziness, and poor management in the USPS. But remember this, the USPS must hire just about anybody that can pass the civil service exam no matter what. This in itself is a challenge for any employer. The Mail Carrier's day has been shortened due to machines presorting the carrier's mail in the order in which they walk or drive their routes. Automation has greatly decreased labor costs. Plus, they outsource a lot of work thru their worksharring discounts program, which private companies sort and barcode company's mail before it is given to the post office.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
ghfromaltonbay

Default Alton & Alton Bay post offices

I could never understand why both Alton & Alton Bay have had separate post offices over all these years. The buildings are about 1 mile apart, and the Alton Bay location is in rental quarters owned by the mini-golf business. The Alton Bay location is in a dangerous spot on the busy corner where Rt. 11 rounds the bend just past the bay bridge, and parking is extremely limited. I often see elderly patrons struggling up the ramp to the entrance and then struggling to get back in their cars parked in the 2 or 3 spots that are on an uphill slope or worse yet, trying to cross at the busy corner with traffic rounding the curve. Add to that, the Alton Bay post office also has a lot of closed time during the day. How does the USPS justify keeping both those locations open? The South Tamworth office isn't as close to the Tamworth PO and is on a busy road (Rt. 25) with plenty of parking, yet they are closing that location and leaving Alton Bay open for now. At least the Alton "business district" location has ample parking.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
RailroadJoe

I have two nephews who retired from the USPS. Boy are they happy. Remember the 3 cent stamp lasted for about 50+ years. How long does the price stay the same now.

But back to Alton & Alton Bay PO's. When summer comes Alton Bay gets a lot busier.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

I think it is ridiculous that the Moultonborough post office is closed at for lunch. you would think someone there could cover during lunch.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Did you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I think it is ridiculous that the Moultonborough post office is closed at for lunch. you would think someone there could cover during lunch.
Did you know that all of the Postal worker are either Part-Time or Contract Employees? The Postmaster is the only full time employee. The Part time employees are known "Part-time Flexies" and are not guaranteed 40 hours a week. They may only be getting less than 20 hours a week in some circumstances.

Try sling a 80 pound sacks of mail out of a mail hamper most of the day. Do you think you could "STUFF" a mail slot as full they can?

"Walk A Mile In My Shoes" before you criticize so easily.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Did you know that all of the Postal worker are either Part-Time or Contract Employees? The Postmaster is the only full time employee. The Part time employees are known "Part-time Flexies" and are not guaranteed 40 hours a week. They may only be getting less than 20 hours a week in some circumstances.

Try sling a 80 pound sacks of mail out of a mail hamper most of the day. Do you think you could "STUFF" a mail slot as full they can?

The specifics of their job are not hugely relevant.

The USPS is a very non-competitive business. Prices keep going up, quality of service and availability is going down.

It would seem that a lunch break is a logical time for people to go to the post office. So, if they want to maximize their revenue options it would make sense to be open during peak demand periods.
Greene's Basin Girl (01-31-2012), RLW (01-31-2012), Winnisquamguy (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just a few thoughts here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
I could never understand why both Alton & Alton Bay have had separate post offices over all these years. The buildings are about 1 mile apart, and the Alton Bay location is in rental quarters owned by the mini-golf business. The Alton Bay location is in a dangerous spot on the busy corner where Rt. 11 rounds the bend just past the bay bridge, and parking is extremely limited. I often see elderly patrons struggling up the ramp to the entrance and then struggling to get back in their cars parked in the 2 or 3 spots that are on an uphill slope or worse yet, trying to cross at the busy corner with traffic rounding the curve. Add to that, the Alton Bay post office also has a lot of closed time during the day. How does the USPS justify keeping both those locations open? The South Tamworth office isn't as close to the Tamworth PO and is on a busy road (Rt. 25) with plenty of parking, yet they are closing that location and leaving Alton Bay open for now. At least the Alton "business district" location has ample parking.
Yes, the bay PO window is closed M-F from 12-1. You can get your mail from 630 AM to 6 PM because the lobby is open. A few years ago, there was talk of closing the bay. One of the reasons it did not get closed is that there are many island residents who come to the bay by boat to get their mail. The leased space is not a reason to close it. It's lease is cheaper by far than the uptown office, which is also leased space. The main PO does not close at lunch, but you often have to ring a bell and then wait...and wait...and wait for someone to come out to help. Frustrating part: you can hear them shooting the breeze while you wait. From a customer service standpoint, I will take the Bay any day. Also, I would rather deal with the traffic at the bay than try to get out of School St, especially in the summer. JMHO.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
wifi

Quote:
...the Moultonborough post office is closed at for lunch....
This is the same problem I face, its only open when I'm at work. I used to forward all my mail to a private PO in Manchester that had an open lobby 24 hrs/day. If Moultonboro were to have automatic locks (like the old Center Harbor Laundromat) that opened at 5AM and re-locked at 7PM (for example), I could catch it on the way to/from work. How does this relate to South Tamworth? Well, if the PO adopted a little, it might be more valuable to its customers and there might be more people motivated to help it out.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post

I am well aware that they are part-time or contract. That doesn't answer the question why one of them couldn't cover the window during the lunch hour. They want customers so I don't why they can't accomodate them at lunch. I thought it was about the customer??? Maybe that is one of the reasons why they are loosing money.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
TheProfessor

Quote:
I am well aware that they are part-time or contract. That doesn't answer the question why one of them couldn't cover the window during the lunch hour. They want customers so I don't why they can't accomodate them at lunch. I thought it was about the customer??? Maybe that is one of the reasons why they are loosing money.
Did you bother to read the inital post?

You obviously didn't read or you don't wish to read about the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006.

Why can't your local post office stay open during lunch? All workhours are dictated from headquarters. Each office has a set of hours. The local postmaster cannot create more hours or different hours. The local postmaster cannot change the hours of operation without permission from headquarters.

As far as telling a story about some mailman in Peabody, MA 30 years ago sitting in some garage for a time. You are completely missing the point of the initial posting.

In the real small post offices with just a postmaster, when do you expect the postmaster to take lunch?

Some just can't see the forest through the trees. Some are just against government. Even though the post office does not receive any federal tax monies. Zero.

The US Post Office is the most efficient in the world. With the highest productivity. The price of stamps is also the lowest in the Western World. Just go look at Canada. The Canadian dollar is about on par with the US dollar. How much is a first class stamp in Canada?

You will miss it when it is gone.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Post Office Failures

As far as the contention that the Post Office does not recieve government funds:

Maybe but:

The Post Office doesn't have to pay state or local taxes, and it gets to borrow billions from the government at reduced rates ($10.2 billion, by the end of this year, according to the GAO.) Last year, the FTC found that the Post Office received implicit subsidies of $34 to $117 million -- and that's not counting the monopoly, its biggest benefit.

Even after being given those economic benefits, in mail categories where competition is allowed, the US Postal Service has just a 16% market share - behind UPS and FedEX, according to the FTC.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Did you bother to read the inital post?

You obviously didn't read or you don't wish to read about the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006.

Why can't your local post office stay open during lunch? All workhours are dictated from headquarters. Each office has a set of hours. The local postmaster cannot create more hours or different hours. The local postmaster cannot change the hours of operation without permission from headquarters.

As far as telling a story about some mailman in Peabody, MA 30 years ago sitting in some garage for a time. You are completely missing the point of the initial posting.

In the real small post offices with just a postmaster, when do you expect the postmaster to take lunch?

Some just can't see the forest through the trees. Some are just against government. Even though the post office does not receive any federal tax monies. Zero.

The US Post Office is the most efficient in the world. With the highest productivity. The price of stamps is also the lowest in the Western World. Just go look at Canada. The Canadian dollar is about on par with the US dollar. How much is a first class stamp in Canada?

You will miss it when it is gone.
Mr. Professor:

You are living in a different world. The post office has lost 25% of its revenue in the last several years and it is expected to lose another 20% in the next 5-years. Has the post office adjusted its cost structure the way a private business would to survive? Trust me, the answer is no. If the tax payers wanted to save money (and lots of money) we would out source the whole system to UPS or Fed-x and it would be fixed pronto but we can't do that because of the unions.

Let me give you a little quiz that you failed once above but perhaps if I put it in simpler terms you might get the correct answer this time since after all you are a professor. Here goes: If you were running a private, FOR PROFIT business and all your customers came at lunch time but you were the only employee in the shop what would do?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (02-03-2012), Winnisquamguy (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
So what you're saying is that, unsurprisingly, their problems with mismanagement and bad business practices go all the way to the top brass? Not exactly a shocking revelation for a government-run "business".

Their solution to lack of business and inability to be competitive seems to be to "cut costs" without logic rather than adapt to the mainstream market.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
P-3 Guy

The problem is that Congress wants the USPS to run like a for-profit private business, but at the same time Congress is making all sorts of rules that apply only to the USPS and micro-managing its affairs, something that a private business doesn't have to deal with. If the USPS wants to eliminate Saturday mail delivery, it has to get permission form Congress. If it wants to change the way it funds its pension and medical plans to be more competitive, it must get permission from Congress. The USPS is stuck, because with all the Congressional (political) involvement, it can't do what's necessary to remain profitable.

I would be perfectly happy with getting my mail every other day. Make deliveries to half of my town on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and the other half on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Get rid of half of the delivery personnel. Save on vehicle maintenance and fuel. But it will never happen, because Congress won't allow it.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
RailroadJoe

With the number of postal workers in the USA. Why should Congress give up those votes on next election.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote