Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Killevippen

Default Post Boat Depression

Every year September is tough enough, particularly after spending another great summer on the Lake. But this year I'm suffering from an additional amount of remorse having just sold the first boat I ever owned. Granted, it's "just a boat" and it was replaced by a wake boat that I *love* (and miss too!). But I can't help to think that I failed my faithful friend of 10 years. I'm wondering if any one else has gone through a similar mourning.

I bought this boat having done not much more on a water craft beyond some elementary sailing on Boston Harbor. I remember my first cruise, launching it from a dock near Weirs and guiding it to my home on the northern end of the lake. Talk about scared, as this was my maiden voyage on Winni, but thanks to a compass and some careful marker reading, we made it home safely.

I have so many great memories on that boat, which is what makes it so hard to say goodbye. Recalling a few:
....each family members’ first time learning to wake (it's great when you see the little kids make that first toe-side cut outside the wake!)
....an early tubing near-disaster after I launched my oldest (then about 7) head over heals (some tears, but more yelling directed at me)
....many, many family cruises to Wolfeboro for dinner and a sunset cruise back
....the annual trek to Weirs for the day
....spontaneously jumping on the boat on a hot day, cruise to the Broads, then spend hours diving off the front
…nightly runs to Pier 19 for some ice cream
....broken prop #1 by Pistol Island (yes, you go between the marker and the Island, just like the map says!)
....broken prop #2 just off my dock on the last day of summer 2005
…a 2 hours, post-midnight trip back from Wolfeboro after the 4th July fireworks several years ago, the darkest and waviest night I ever experienced.

Perhaps most poignant right now is our last trip together, with my 4-year old, to the marina and handing over the keys. A part of me hoped that it wouldn’t sell (“sorry honey, but we couldn’t just give it away.”), but it sold quickly.

So I could go on, but you get the point. So, if I may, as a final tribute to the boat. To Ks new owner, you have a great boat. Ten years running without ever once failing to deliver, and ready for at least a decade more. And to K, we all miss you and hope to see you on the Lake next Spring where you belong for many years to come.
Killevippen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Killevippen For This Useful Post:
colt17 (09-21-2009), Just Sold (09-20-2009), Pcdalton (08-30-2014), Rattlesnake Guy (09-19-2009), Ropetow (09-19-2009)
Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Dave R

That's an awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like you too have nothing to hide regarding the old boat; do like I did and befriend the new owner. My old boat is presently on Fox Lake in IL and I trade correspondence with it's owner all the time via email and facebook. I love that it's still being lovingly cared for and that it is now the source of all kinds of great memories for another young family, just like it was for mine.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Island Life

I can understand how you feel, even though I haven't yet departed ways with my first-ever boat. It's an old beater of a thing but I love being in it, love watching the kids and their friends jump off the bow on a hot day, love cruising home in the still water late at night, and love not having to worry too much about getting it messy because I bought it that way (well-used) 8 years ago. Do I feel the need for a newer, better boat? No way, I'm happy with my old one.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
trfour

Default Toys Or Boats, Are-Us....

I agree, having to haul the boat out for the season is very tough and tramatic, then again, getting the snowmobiles tuned and ready for the off season ain't all that bad!.... I have found that the best way to enjoy the Great Lake Winnipesaukee, is to embrace it year round!
Been there, done that!.... " Its all about, 365-24-7 + 24 years and somore!"

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
I agree, having to haul the boat out for the season is very tough and tramatic, then again, getting the snowmobiles tuned and ready for the off season ain't all that bad!.... I have found that the best way to enjoy the Great Lake Winnipesaukee, is to embrace it year round!
Been there, done that!.... " Its all about, 365-24-7 + 24 years and somore!"
Plus, we should have at least another month of boating weekends. We usually make it to the first or second weekend of November (nothing like chipping ice off the cover for an early morning cruise). And then, it is a month or so to ski season, followed by ice-in, followed by Alton Winter Carnival and the ice airport, followed by ice-out and mud season, followed by a late April or early May launch of the bowrider. You are right...we need to embrace each of these special seasons (though mud season is often a messy embrace )
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
VtSteve

I think I've embraced the seasons over the years a bit too much. I skied way too much, my biggest season being over 140 days back in 1974, followed by over 100 days on the slops back in 1984. Many, many days in between and since. I used to embrace the cold weather, but that novelty's worn off. Now I seek being on the water and golf at least 7-8 months. This is my least favorite season, since it's colder, gets dark earlier, and I can do far less after work.

I've been freezing for 54 years now, time for a change

I sold my first New boat back in 1997. It was a great little boat, and have no idea where it ended up. Now I'm ready to look for another. The two best days of a boater's life are said to be the day you buy it, and the day you sell it. But the saddest days are being boatless altogether.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killevippen View Post

So I could go on, but you get the point. So, if I may, as a final tribute to the boat. To Ks new owner, you have a great boat. Ten years running without ever once failing to deliver, and ready for at least a decade more. And to K, we all miss you and hope to see you on the Lake next Spring where you belong for many years to come.
My brother suffers from this very syndrome that you described. However, he is beyond help. Years ago, 1988 to be specific my father handed over the keys to a 1987 Power Play XLT185 to my brother and I. Times were good for my dad and he bought himself a Wellcraft Nova III with twin 350's. Not exactly an ideal waterski boat. So he solved the problem by throwing money at it and bought this beauty from Arey's Marina. Let me tell you this boat was/is a little rocket-ship. An 18 footer with a 350, 260HP motor.

Well after many MANY enjoyable years and MANY stories: Like the one time at night when I felt something hit my face and I stopped the boat to look around at what hit me only to look down and see a bat crawling up my shorts. The countless hours waterskiing, kneeboarding, tubing, etc. I finally relinquished my share of the boat as I felt it was getting too expensive to maintain.

My brother, suffering from this affliction refused to let go. Many times I would call him nuts and tell him to give it up and just sell it. Besides the amount of money he has spent on it he could have bought a new boat!

Well here we are in 2009 and he still has it! He has reupholstered the interior, put on a new outdrive, buffed, waxed, re-lettered the boat and I have to admit she looks good. In the end I am glad he has kept it, as the sight, sound and smell of this boat is the most powerful time machine I have ever been in! So in the end while not recommended for everyone, it's pretty cool that he has kept and maintained the "first boat we've ever owned."

22 years old and still kicking - 1987 Red white and gray PowerPlay XLT185 "CHILDS PLAY."
Note: Boat actually named PRIOR to the horror movie that came out that same year!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Guy

Killevippen,
After reading your beautiful post, I could not help but notice that it is only your second post in 5 years. What can we do or say to help you post more often. Your words triggered many of my own memories. It is exactly what the forum is about and I hope you will come back soon. Thank you and well done.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
chipj29

Excellent post. I have the same feelings you have when parting with any of my toys. I even have a hard time when trading in a car. My wife laughs at me, but I do get a bit sad.

Last summer, I bought my son a 20+ year old snowmobile for his first sled. This year, I am handing down my "old" sled (a 2004) to him, so we will be selling the 1986 Polaris. I have owned it for just over a year, but will still be sad to see it go, probably because it was his first sled. I still remember my first sled.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Wink You're Not Alone

You are not alone. Our neighbors came from California with their aged speedboat they called Yellow Bird. For years John wanted to upgrade to a Boston Whaler, the type he grew up with. Their young sons both resisted the change because of their fantastic memories - Yellow Bird was part of the family! John finally got his dream boat and Yellow Bird sat next to their shed for a year while they made new memories on Plane to Sea. (John is a pilot.) Finally they decided it was time to donate it to charity for another family enjoy.

Killevippen, thanks for sharing your memories and sadness over moving on to a new boat. Rattlesnake Guy is right - you should post more often!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
John A. Birdsall

Default boats and dreams

In the winter of 1956-57 my dad decided to build a boat, It was not a very big boat, just 11'6" if I recall. It was first powered by a 6 hp Elgin and it did not operate very well. So a 12 hp Elgin was put on it, but it needed repairs more than it ran. In the fall of 57 my dad put a deposit on a 1957 18 HP Johnson and that did the trick, now the boat would get up and plane. But my Dad sort of lost that boat, to my brother and I. That boat has been on every spot on the lake. When gas was .34 per gallon and that included the oil. We used $264.00 of gas in that boat alone that summer. In 1970 I bought that boat from my father, I was in my second hitch with the Navy and it was going to New London, but it needed some work. After much work with a new transom, and fiberglass everywhere I became scared of the boat enough so, that on Jan 1 1971 my brother and I took the boat to the Groton Dump and watched as a bulldozer destroyed it. The memories that boat has made for all who road her will never die. The "Puddy-Tat" has been the best boat I ever owned. Did you know that in Loon Cove there is two bridges the second one in the 60s anyway was taken over by some beavers.

Boating and memories are with all of us on this lake. Hopefully all yours are as happy as mine have been.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote