Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Wolfeboro Docks

Monday night, we decided to take a nice cruise from Alton Bay to Wolfeboro for supper. A quick look at the weather radar, Winnipesaukee Cam, and Wolfeboro Cam, and we were off. Just a little wind resulting in a little chop, and it was a very refreshing ride to Wolfeboro.

About a mile out from the docks, I was slowly overtaking a boat that seemed to be heading into the dock area as well, and while I could have blown his doors off and beat him to the docks, I did the "NH way" and slowed down and followed him to the docks. He seemed to be looking to dock on other than the two docks to the far right, and so after making sure that I was not going to be "cutting him off", I headed for the 2nd dock from the right, going in on the right had side of it.

Now I knew why there was no one on the outside of dock #1, because it is the "handicap" dock area. The inside of the dock had no one. The dock 2 area had perhaps 5 boats total on both sides, and one good reason became painfully, or perhaps stinkfully, apparent.

Both docks were covered in goose droppings . I'm not talking about a few little dropping here or there. We were witness to a gaggle of geese having an all out poop party.

We still tied up to dock 2 (no droppings on the pilings ) and upon exiting the boat, we carefully tiptoed around the dropping mine field.

We had a nice meal, got ice cream, finished it, and then proceeded to do the Goose Poop Polka back to the boat. Managed to keep the feet clean, and had a nice ride back home just as the sun was setting.

So the next time you see a lot of open dock space, you may not be able to blame it on the economy. Or did the geese get a stimulus package of their own ?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
C_Duff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
We were witness to a gaggle of geese having an all out poop party.
Upthesaukee: I got such a great laugh from that line...thank you!
C_Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

OH, they sure are terrible. I hate them. I used to think they were so pretty until they came to visit. When they come, we have been using squirt guns and chasing them. You cannot walk in your yard as you said, it is so bad. I wish someone knew a way to keep them away.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Orion

Default easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
OH, they sure are terrible. I hate them. I used to think they were so pretty until they came to visit. When they come, we have been using squirt guns and chasing them. You cannot walk in your yard as you said, it is so bad. I wish someone knew a way to keep them away.

Get rid of all the lakeside lawns.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Bluebell

A semi-retired friend of ours works at a golf course during the season. They had a big problem with geese droppings at the course and solved it by getting a border collie. Every morning they let the dog out and it ran the perimeter of the golf course. After a very short period of time . . . geese . . . gone! I know this is not an option at Dockside, but we did suggest it to the admin at Brewster Academy as they have a similar problem on the soccer/lacrosse fields.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
A semi-retired friend of ours works at a golf course during the season. They had a big problem with geese droppings at the course and solved it by getting a border collie. Every morning they let the dog out and it ran the perimeter of the golf course. After a very short period of time . . . geese . . . gone! I know this is not an option at Dockside, but we did suggest it to the admin at Brewster Academy as they have a similar problem on the soccer/lacrosse fields.
That really is a great idea!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
gtxrider

Default Who ya gona call?

We had the same problem on the property where I work so they hires a man and his dog to chase the geese. The name on the door of the truck, "Goose Busters".

How 'bout a 12 gauge? Feed the homeless!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I hate to burst your balloon Orion, but they like the woods too. They come up and reach for the leaves. Leave their mess everywhere they go.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
ApS

Default Are THESE the Culprits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
"...I used to think they were so pretty until they came to visit..."
They still ARE pretty, it's just that they're here AT ALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Get rid of all the lakeside lawns.
1) I've heard that Canada Geese love golf courses. If they're being successfully chased off those courses, they're making a new appearance at the lake!

2) I have two McMansions nearby (new this year) with huge lawns: This is also the first time in 53 years to have seen Canada Geese right off my dock! (And there were nine of 'em—two adults and seven big goslings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
"...We were witness to a gaggle of geese having an all out poop party..."
Hmmm. I heard they were last seen at "The Basin". Maybe they eat milfoil.

Anyway, this was taken at Wolfeboro's "Back Bay" Wednesday:
Attached Images