Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Special Restaurant w/Kids

Hi All,
My 6 and 4-year-olds want to dress up and visit a fancy restaurant. Suggestions on really nice places that would be OK to dress up and visit as a family? They're VERY WELL behaved kiddos, BTW.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
garysanfran

Default My first response...Oh no!

Two screaming kids in a fancy restaurant?

But then I saw that they wanted to dress up like adults, and I think it's great! Perhaps they can learn how to read the menu, understand the options and what questions should be asked of the waiter, what to expect in service and the concept of a "tip".

Please let us know where you chose to go and what the experience was like. A 4 and 6 yr. old are probably not adventurous eaters. What kind of food do they like? Kids can have strange tastes...like preferring their fois gras with Fruit Loops, or something.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-27-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Two screaming kids in a fancy restaurant?

But then I saw that they wanted to dress up like adults, and I think it's great! Perhaps they can learn how to read the menu, understand the options and what questions should be asked of the waiter, what to expect in service and the concept of a "tip".

Please let us know where you chose to go and what the experience was like. A 4 and 6 yr. old are probably not adventurous eaters. What kind of food do they like? Kids can have strange tastes...like preferring their fois gras with Fruit Loops, or something.
L'il Buddy loves Chicken Saltimbocca and L'il Princess has a taste for roast duck with various glazes. Or mac and cheese for both--whichever is on the kids menu!

But seriously, they're great kids--have never had to leave a restaurant (and we absolutely would if necessary).

We're thinking the Woodshed, but we've heard nice things about O. The Bob House, Canoe, Walter's Basin, etc. are regular haunts for these guys, so we're looking to go up from there.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Acrossamerica

Sadly no restaurants that I am aware of in New Hampshire offer the "dress up" fine dining that would wow the children. I highly recommend that you take a trip to Boston and take them to dinner at the Parker House. That is real fine dining that appreciates dressing up.

In my opinion, there is nothing worse than dressing up only to be seated next to a party dressed in polo shirts and chinos. If they wish to dress up make sure the Mrs. and you also dress up which means a blazer and tie for the Mr. and a nice dress for the Mrs. Anything less sends the wrong message to the children who have asked for a dress up evening out.

Enjoy.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
surfnsnow

lemongrass would be great. get the private room, duck is fantastic and the atmosphere kind of exotic
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Lavinia's up in the cupola.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Lavinia's up in the cupola.

Looks like only two people for that?

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Looks like only two people for that?

Never been up there. Just sounded nice when I heard about it. Another thought: Mountainview Grand Hotel in Whitefield has dining in the wine cellar. Other places may offer this as well. I almost think I remember something about that at the Wolfeboro Inn as well.
Good luck with your search. We could take our kids anywhere back in their early youth, and a good thing because my folks liked to take us out to dinner, including some fine dining.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #9
Phantom

actually -- the Cupola is very tight seating for 2 ...... unless it has changed recently

Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
kauriel

I would call first to make sure children are allowed but Manor on Golden Pond might be good for a fancy dinner.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
L'il Buddy loves Chicken Saltimbocca and L'il Princess has a taste for roast duck with various glazes. Or mac and cheese for both--whichever is on the kids menu!

But seriously, they're great kids--have never had to leave a restaurant (and we absolutely would if necessary).

We're thinking the Woodshed, but we've heard nice things about O. The Bob House, Canoe, Walter's Basin, etc. are regular haunts for these guys, so we're looking to go up from there.

Rule out O, and Canoe.... You can look through posts on this forum... They are not exactly kid friendly.... in fact the last I knew... Canoe had family seating area to keeps kids out of the Dinning room.... and families waiting in line, because the "family Dining area" is not of adequate size.....

Dependent on the Management of the new woodshed... it used to be very family friendly..... Went there as a kid, and brought my kids, before well we won't go there.....

Walter's Basin, has always been kid friendly to my knowledge.....

The main thing as that the kids are respectful and not rowdy, and then I think you will find most restaurants are just fine with kids.... and may even help you make the evening more special for the event...
Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Lavinia's in the presidents room
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Rule out O, and Canoe.... You can look through posts on this forum... They are not exactly kid friendly....
O's is not family friendly?...Really? This really surprises me!

My wife and I go there quite often since it was open and always see families with young or teenage kids. I have never witnessed anything that would resemble unfriendly or unprofessional service because of the children. Sure they are not going to pass out the coloring books but unfriendly???....

Can you elaborate on what you personally experienced there with your family to make such a statement. It's not that I doubt you, it just really takes me back a bit as we have always received and seen nothing but the best of professional service from everyone there to all who are dining including families with young children....

I can't comment on Canoe as I very rarely go there but O's I have experienced many many times firsthand.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 08-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

My wife and I go there quite often since it was open and always see families with young or teenage kids. I have never witnessed anything that would resemble unfriendly or unprofessional service because of the children. Sure they are not going to pass out the coloring books but unfriendly???....

Can you elaborate on what you personally experienced there with your family to make such a statement. It's not that I doubt you, it just really takes me back a bit as we have always received and seen nothing but the best of professional service from everyone there to all who are dining including families with young children....

Thanks!

Dan
We've also had great experiences at Canoe.

What I'm looking for, though, is not necessarily something ridiculously high-end, just something that, with a shirt and tie, we'd fit in.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #15
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Canoe and O

I have been dining at both establishments for many years, although my kids are now 10 and 15 I have never had an unpleasant dining experience at both establishments now and when they were much younger. I found them to be very accommodating. I also do not mind eating with them in the bar area or downstairs at Canoe and think its great that you can be with other families with children or when without kids have a nice dinner in an adult only atmosphere.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
We've also had great experiences at Canoe.

What I'm looking for, though, is not necessarily something ridiculously high-end, just something that, with a shirt and tie, we'd fit in.

Then I would recommend O's or the Lyons Den. While both are casual dining atmosphere, you would fit in just fine dressed up. If you like roast duck, the Lyons Den is known for theirs as it is their specialty and both places have awesome Macaroni and cheese!!!

Have fun!

Dan
gillygirl (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #17
The Winster

How about Lakehouse Grille at Church Landing? It's definitely one of the nicer places around the lake. The dress is probably a little stepped up from the typical "casual attire"for the area.
The Winster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #18
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

IMO Camp in Meredith is the place to bring the kids for a special meal. It's upscale but has unique adirondack decor and menu that has always pleases both the adults and kids in our group. Smores for dessert.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #19
joey2665

Default Camp Last Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
IMO Camp in Meredith is the place to bring the kids for a special meal. It's upscale but has unique adirondack decor and menu that has always pleases both the adults and kids in our group. Smores for dessert.
Name:  IMG_1624.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  66.7 KB

My Sons birthday last week
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Haven't been, but sounds delightful--would we be overdressed in shirt and tie?

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #21
joey2665

Default Not at All

Quote:
Haven't been, but sounds delightful--would we be overdressed in shirt and tie?

Not at all. Many patrons are guests from the Mills Falls hotel (Which it is attached) whom dress in jackets. Kids will love it there
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Not at all. Many patrons are guests from the Mills Falls hotel (Which it is attached) whom dress in jackets. Kids will love it there
Great, sounds like we have a winner! I'll report back.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #23
depasseg

I think a shirt and tie would fit in at Woodshed. We went a couple weeks ago with our 3 (ages 6-11) and I saw many people dressed up.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #24
Woody38

We love seeing families with small children in restaurants. Sometimes it can be a problem. We went to the Dan"l Webster inn in Sandwich for Thanksgiving when we lived on the Cape. Boys were 8 and 5 at the time. An elderly couple were about to be seated next to us when they saw the boys and asked for a different table. None were available. This couple finished there dinner prior to us and stopped to say how wonderful the boys were. No surprise to us as the boys enjoyed dressing up and going for dinner. It's all in the parenting.

You can't spoil a child. You can create a brat. I tell everyone my wife tried and they were not spoiled. Today, both good men.

I am a retired workaholic and a continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-16-2016), GBGX2 (08-16-2016), noreast (08-16-2016), secondcurve (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Pass the Grey Poupon

For upscale dining you may need to go to the Bedford Village Inn, Mt Washington Hotel, Wentworth by The Sea or the Mountain View Grande. All are kid friendly and last I knew, a dress code.

You could try the Steele Hill Inn, although its more casual.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 08-16-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Addition
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #26
noreast

I agree with woody38 100%, we've been taking our kid's to about any restaurants we go to since they were tiny, except for a slight regurgitation issue, they've never been an Issue. Some are not so lucky, I understand. My youngest (now 16) has been taking his girlfriend out to dinner for a couple of years. It's funny to see such a little puke order, Interact & tip. We made sure he understood not to skimp on the tip.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-19-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #27
hd333

Default Special Restaurant w/Kids

I vote for Lavinia's. You can dress up there and the atmosphere there is what you make it. Reserve a table in the dining room and dress is fancier, in the Tavern, not so much.
Another option could be the Corner House in Sandwich, dining room can be viewed as fancy. Plus it is secluded and that may make the kiddos think it is even more special.

I'd say the Camp, while a nice spot, would not fit the bill as a fancy place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #28
Joebon

Mise en Place in Wolfeboro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #29
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

I can't comment on Canoe as I very rarely go there but O's I have experienced many many times firsthand.

Thanks!

Dan
Dan: I couldn't agree with you more. We took the kids to their new restaurant in Wolfeboro and the service, food and atmosphere were very impressive. My kids gave the place an A+
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Decided on Camp for our "nice dinner out." Kids and we dressed up and had a fine dinner--service was excellent, as was the food (I'm not a huge fan of CM in general, but tonight's meal was excellent).

As for dress, it was interesting: almost every woman was dressed nicely but only about 25% of men were. In either case, in shirts/ties and dresses we didn't stand out and L'il Buddy and L'il Princess both got compliments on their apparel and behavior.

$111 with tip for drinks (no alcohol) two appetizers, two adult and two kids meals, and two desserts. Blew our experience at Nolan's last month out of the water.

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-26-2016), joey2665 (08-25-2016), upthesaukee (08-25-2016), webmaster (08-29-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #31
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Decided on Camp for our "nice dinner out." Kids and we dressed up and had a fine dinner--service was excellent, as was the food (I'm not a huge fan of CM in general, but tonight's meal was excellent).

As for dress, it was interesting: almost every woman was dressed nicely but only about 25% of men were.
Thanks for the suggestions, all!

I always find it interesting and sad how many men show how little they care about their well dressed wives or lady friends by showing up in working in the garden attire. We all know most men would be like the cave dwellers if given half a chance but how about when out with your ladies showing some respect.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-25-2016), thinkxingu (08-25-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #32
Woody38

Went to Camp Last Saturday night. Surely nothing upscale in my mind.
Extremely noisy as all the surroundings are hard, mostly wood. One member of our party ordered the meatloaf. It looked gross with some disgusting sauce. She couldn't eat it as the sauce was also in the meat. The other dinners were good. Fish and chips, pot roast was excellent fork tender. Service was slow. It took forever for drinks to arrive. They did not charge for the meatloaf.
Children were present, one obnoxious boy and a little brother and sister who were very cute and well behaved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is not about waiting for the storm to end. Life is about dancing in the rain.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #33
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Went to Camp Last Saturday night. Surely nothing upscale in my mind.
Extremely noisy as all the surroundings are hard, mostly wood. One member of our party ordered the meatloaf. It looked gross with some disgusting sauce. She couldn't eat it as the sauce was also in the meat. The other dinners were good. Fish and chips, pot roast was excellent fork tender. Service was slow. It took forever for drinks to arrive. They did not charge for the meatloaf.
Children were present, one obnoxious boy and a little brother and sister who were very cute and well behaved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is not about waiting for the storm to end. Life is about dancing in the rain.
I agree about it not being upscale. Our party enjoyed ourselves but I would have felt out of place in a jacket and tie there. There was a beautiful wedding going on in the next room while we were there.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (09-27-2016)