Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Shedwannabe

Default Renting an RV...to go nowhere

I looked under classifieds, but there are no "wanted" categories.

I'm needing temporary housing betwixt when I need to leave my current place, and when the new place is ready. I thought a great solution would be to rent an RV for a couple of months, but none of the classifieds are about items wanted - they are all about items available.

Any ideas how to try to locate an RV?

classified ad text removed
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Diana

I have tired to do the same thing to have an extra room for houseguests for long weekends, and it is harder than you think, expensive too. Cruise America has them but you can't pick them up many places and it is expensive by the week.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Lakepilot

I have a motorhome and this question comes up periodically on www.rv.net. I doubt you will find an individual to rent you their rv. It just wouldn't be worth their time to rent for the peak season. Also rv's need hookups. You would need at least a 30 amp hookup, which if ask an electrician to install one he will probably put in a dryer or welder service, which will smoke the rv. They need water and a sewer connection so you can dump the tanks.

Renting from Camping world in Chichester maybe a possibility. They may give you a good long term deal. If not if you buy right, you may be able to sell after a couple of months and have it cost less then renting.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Kamper

Look on Craig's List. You might se an RV or camper you like for a few thousand. The RV can be driven to a pump-out station a lot easier than a camper can be towed. When you are done with it, it can be sold or donated.

Instead of the 30/35 amp hook-up, a couple heavy duty contruction/generator cords can provide electricity directly to the appliances you select to use. There are adapaters available to hook a 35 amp plug into a regular plug but you need to be selective about what you use. Regular plugs typically max out at 25 amps so that might not be a major issue for you, just check the breaker rating for the circuit you are connecting to. I have been told the wire distance from the breaker box to the appliance should not exceed 100' or the aditional resistance may cause problems.

Never run a a space-heater from a regular extenson cord! I know two people who have done so and they both had fires. I have never had a problem using heavy duty cords for this but some folks do have reservations on them too.

If you haven't already... Find out exactly what the lack of that permit means. This may vary from town-to-town. Perhaps you can still cook and use the 'facilities' but just not sleep there.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
I looked under classifieds, but there are no "wanted" categories.
Just put "Wanted" in the title of your ad. Please don't use the forum to post ads, even if you can't find the perfect Classifieds category.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Look on Craig's List. You might se an RV or camper you like for a few thousand. The RV can be driven to a pump-out station a lot easier than a camper can be towed. When you are done with it, it can be sold or donated.
I agree with Kamper. Buy a used RV and sell it after you are through. I have at times had my money back or made a slight profit. I have to admit I did a lot of cleaning and slight maintenance. But does anything come free?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Heaven

Be sure to check local regulations on RV living
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Be sure to check local regulations on RV living
If it's registerred it's hard to make the owner move it unless it's in an HOA. Private sewer/gray-water hookups can be problematical though. That's why I referenced "pump-out" in my previous post. If it isn't registerred it may get treated as a 'structure' for tax and zoning purposes.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote