Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #301
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Commuted thru that area between 5:15 and 5:45 today.

Any source of water needs design to drain and winterize. I'm not a gardener, but I think I recall the base of the Weirs roundabout center is formerly asphalt, not much base for a decent garden. They have to replace with nice topsoil & fertilizer, and constant maintenance in growing season - Start very soon. Research plants to grow in these conditions. Do watering at night with mobile tanks when traffic is reduced.

Yes, unfortunate the convenience store (Citgo) closes for winter about mid October. I much prefer to go there than Cumberland Farms for my gasoline! Oh well, it's local operator decision.

Observed back hoe and front loader moving around the saloon rubble, but I saw no method of trucking it off. Maybe a vehicle was off dumping, as I did not wait to see. At 5:30-ish, where would they be dumping that rubble?
It was looking kind of like a training operation for new young operators of the two pieces of well-used equipment!!! I looked but could not see a company name; remained in my vehicle on Lobster Pound property, only briefly.
wouldnt have to be an actual garden, they could make it look nice with just some soil and mulch like you said and some larger potted plants. like those wooden barrel style ones but yes someone would still have to maintain and care for it

Last edited by evergreenenvious; 09-26-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: forgot something
evergreenenvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #302
fatlazyless

According to a couple different newspaper articles in local papers over the last year, the Weirs roundabout will have a center decorative garden, maintained by local volunteer gardeners. While the Meredith roundabout center garden was built and maintained by a paid landscape company, who does an excellent job, the Weirs roundabout center garden has been said to be built and maintained by volunteers .... so wait and see what grows?

......hey WEIRS BEACH .........so, how does that garden grow.....and how-o-how does the garden water get there......by the bucket.....hand-carried from the nearby channel or what-o?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-27-2012 at 07:58 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #303
crowsnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I am not involved in any way, but I could understand if there were a number of issues that most posters are not aware of that the Baldis needed to consider. There are a number of property right issues involved and it is the American way to allow the property owner to expend all available alternatives before having any of the value of their property diminished. It is not necessarily their fault that those processes took years. It is unfair to wish hardship on them (being screwed by the planning board for instance) for defending their property rights in (what appears to me) to be the available manner.
Shame on every one involved in the process IT TOOK WAY TO LONG !!!!!!!
I think they could have cleaned up the mess and still went through the dragged out court system for the results or blame
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #304
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Shame on every one involved in the process IT TOOK WAY TO LONG !!!!!!!
I think they could have cleaned up the mess and still went through the dragged out court system for the results or blame
My guess is that the Baldis would have lost their grandfathered non-conforming footprint/Use if that had been done, unless the city had made an agreement to suspend that zoning ordinance in this case. Not even sure if that is legally possible.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #305
brk-lnt

Quote:
My guess is that the Baldis would have lost their grandfathered non-conforming footprint/Use if that had been done, unless the city had made an agreement to suspend that zoning ordinance in this case. Not even sure if that is legally possible.
Let's not forget that almost all of this could have been avoided if the place was not such a dump and fire hazard in the first place...
Altonbayicefishingfool (10-01-2012), Winnigirl (09-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #306
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Let's not forget that almost all of this could have been avoided if the place was not such a dump and fire hazard in the first place...
Maybe so, but then it would be fair to say the same of ALL places that suffered a fire wouldn't it? And come to think of it, lots and lots of places that haven't had a fire YET.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #307
Woodsy

I think we need to take a deep breath here....

Regardless of opinion (and I have voiced mine), The eyesore has FINALLY been torn down and is being disposed of. So its time to move forward. I hope that whatever gets built on that site is a welcome addition to the Weirs and is very successful....

Woodsy
Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #308
brk-lnt

Quote:
Maybe so, but then it would be fair to say the same of ALL places that suffered a fire wouldn't it? And come to think of it, lots and lots of places that haven't had a fire YET.
From what I have read during this whole process (and I've read the legal summaries, other documents, etc.), it seems that place overall was a fire hazard waiting to happen. The Baldi's do not appear to make general upkeep or safety mechanisms top priorities at their properties.

So, you take an old wood building, give it no fire suppression system, rent out rooms to some questionable tenants, and the likelihood that the building ends up severely damaged in some way is pretty high.

My point was that the Baldi's seem to be deliberately dragging their feet on dealing with this, while trying to play some kind of a victim angle, but it really seems like a set of problems they brought on themselves.

It's fine if they want to be in that kind of business, but don't act surprised by the outrage when your poor judgement spills over to affect the community at large.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #309
Altonbayicefishingfool

Looks like the clean-up is finally taking place. Saw a large truck there again today hauling off debris. Wonder what's in store for the future of that sight...time and some $$$ cha Ching will tell!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #310
jtb9212

Default Buried Debris

What a bunch of idiots. Daily Sun reports they buried the debris of the Wide Open Saloon on the the corner of the Drive in property and now DES is involved. Wow! These people really just dont get it!
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #311
fatlazyless

You know, if I recall correct, the NH-DES recently, like in the last year or two, fined the Town of Meredith $30,000 because the Meredith Water & Sewer Dept either unknowingly or unwittingly dumped some snow-removal snow which contained ice-melting rocksalt into the woods somewhere in Meredith.

And what did the NH-DES do with the $30,000? They used it to install three different drinking water fountains at three different NH public schools, including Laconia High School, plus purchased some new office furniture, seating chairs or something like that, for their DES office use, plus some other item(s) which I do not recall.

And, the article in today's LaDaSun says that the area at the drive-in movie theatre where the debris was buried is thought to maybe contain archeological remains from native american indian's everyday life, going back for hundreds of years.

Could be......this alleged illegal demolition disposal....may end up costing someone......a little wampum?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #312
no-engine

Default read the story in full

Baldi actions are really unbelievable. Owner of drive-in property, mother, claims no knowledge! How can son & wife do such?

Stupid me; I drive by almost daily and sort of assumed the enclosed tractor trailers were being loaded to take the debris away! Of course, the ugly sign remains! How stupid to assume the site was getting "cleaned"; instead they truck the debris which likely contains hazardous materials. Let's guesstimate that it may drain to bed of rail road tracks and eventually to the LAKE!

I hope DES levies fines, more than sufficient to clean up such potential damage!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #313
Resident 2B

Quote:
Baldi actions are really unbelievable. Owner of drive-in property, mother, claims no knowledge! How can son & wife do such?

Stupid me; I drive by almost daily and sort of assumed the enclosed tractor trailers were being loaded to take the debris away! Of course, the ugly sign remains! How stupid to assume the site was getting "cleaned"; instead they truck the debris which likely contains hazardous materials. Let's guesstimate that it may drain to bed of rail road tracks and eventually to the LAKE!

I hope DES levies fines, more than sufficient to clean up such potential damage!
I hope the DES files criminal charges! Not what I consider good neighbors.

The lake is a public drinking water supply. What do these folks think they are?

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #314
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default "Dive-In" Property?

Laconia Daily Sun - Tuesday Nov. 6
Quote:
State gives Baldi 15 days to submit plan for removal of buried saloon debris from dive-in property

LACONIA — The New Hampshire Department of Environmental has granted Larry Baldi 15 days to prepare and present a written plan for removing construction debris left from the demolition of the Wide Open Saloon from the Weirs Beach Drive-In Theater property, where it was recently buried.
Baldi, doing business as Baldi Leasing, is the husband of Brandi Baldi, the registered owner of the Wide Open Saloon, and the son of Patricia Baldi, who owns the Weirs Beach Drive-In Theater.
On September 17, 2010 the Wide Open Saloon was severely damaged by fire. In the two years that followed its charred remains cast a pall over The Weirs while Baldi pursued various strands of litigation, including a suit against her fire insurance carrier. Ultimately the city and Brandi Baldi reached a settlement and this September the building was finally demolished.
However, anonymous sources informed city officials and DES that the debris was not seen leaving the property while an area of the adjacent lot was excavated and backfilled, prompting an investigation.
After visiting the site last week, Ray Reimold of the special investigations section of the waste management division of DES, immediately notified Baldi, who admitted to burying the debris, that he had violated regulatory requirements for managing solid and hazardous waste. In his report, Reimold explained that the plan must include a definite timeline for excavating the site and removing the debris, specifying who will transport the material and to which licensed facility it will be taken. Moreover, since the site, like much of The Weirs, may contain Native American artifacts of archaeological significance, the plan must also indicate how issues raised by the Division of Historical Resources will be addressed.
Failure to comply could lead to formal enforcement actions, including administrative penalties or referral to the Department of Justice, which could pursue civil and criminal penalties.
Meanwhile, documentation attached to Reimold's report confirms that in July, Universal Abatement Services of Lawrence, Massachusetts removed all asbestos from the remains of the Wide Open Saloon, which was earlier identified by Smith & Wessel Associates of Spencer, Massachusetts. The city required confirmation that asbestos had been surveyed, removed and properly disposed of prior to granting the demolition permit to raze what remained of the building.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #315
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Laconia Daily Sun - Tuesday Nov. 6
enough said, they should shut down the drive in as well now because of illegal dumping
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #316
patman

Quote:
State gives Baldi 15 days to submit plan for removal of buried saloon debris from dive-in property
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
enough said, they should shut down the drive in as well now because of illegal dumping
Illegal diving at the dive-in too, apparently!

I have mixed feelings about the drive-in. I enjoy that there is a drive in here, and that I've been able to share with my kids a dying-breed experience that I had when I was a kid. On the other hand...the Baldi organization doesn't seem to be behaving well, and that's not good for anyone.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #317
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
Illegal diving at the dive-in too, apparently!

I have mixed feelings about the drive-in. I enjoy that there is a drive in here, and that I've been able to share with my kids a dying-breed experience that I had when I was a kid. On the other hand...the Baldi organization doesn't seem to be behaving well, and that's not good for anyone.
i love the fact that there is a drive in, but I will not use it because I will not support them, if it were not them, I would be in there a couple times a summer
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #318
John A. Birdsall

Default information

Does anyone know that email address for shipshape in Gilford?
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #319
crowsnest

Why am I not surprised
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #320
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
JUST DO IT...

With time change, it's after dark during my evening commute.
I'd love to drive in to property to have a look at the illegal dumping.
The sign needs removal!!! Of course, it must be an attempt to maintain the sign permit!

I hope DES and City levy enough in fines to spend more dollars in "policing and enforcement" than in past. Code enforcement!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #321
evergreenenvious

Quote:
JUST DO IT...

The sign needs removal!!! Of course, it must be an attempt to maintain the sign permit!

I hope DES and City levy enough in fines to spend more dollars in "policing and enforcement" than in past. Code enforcement!
Would you get off the sign already, its still there deal with it, theres nothing wrong with the wide open sign. or the drive in sign
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #322
Tagdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
Does anyone know that email address for shipshape in Gilford?
shipshape@metrocast.net
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #323
PaugusBayFireFighter

Same old stuff at the saloon. A few construction vehicles. A backhoe, bobcat, trailer. No workers or any activity. The main floor is still there.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #324
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Same old stuff at the saloon. A few construction vehicles. A backhoe, bobcat, trailer. No workers or any activity. The main floor is still there.
Thanks for the picture.

I like the new open air concept of the Saloon.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #325
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Still not cleaned up...

...but it certainly is Wide Open now!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #326
evergreenenvious

Quote:
JUST DO IT...

Assuming the article is correct in all the information
;
if the owner of the drive in didnt know about the dumping, than why close it down? by the looks of the picture it wasnt done at the drive in but up behind it where the houses and stuff are by the woods....
Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #327
evergreenenvious

Quote:
it looks down to me. it was posted the 20th just a few days before thanksgiving, I wouldnt be working on it either. There are no trespassing signs at the drive in. i wouldnt be taking pictures there.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #328
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreenenvious View Post
i wouldnt be taking pictures there.
Why not if the pictures can be taken without going onto the property?

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
evergreenenvious (11-29-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #329
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
it looks down to me. it was posted the 20th just a few days before thanksgiving, I wouldnt be working on it either. There are no trespassing signs at the drive in. i wouldnt be taking pictures there.
Doubt trespassing could be legally enforced.

What are the legal requirements for posting property?

Under state law (RSA 635:4), the legal manner of posting calls for posting durable signs with any words describing the physical activity prohibited, such as "No Hunting or Trespassing," in letters at least 2 inches high, and with the owner's name and address. The signs may be no further than 100 yards apart on all sides of the property and shall also be posted at gates, bars and all commonly used entrances.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #330
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Oooooooo...the restricted toilet saloon and vaudeville era drive-in property...wouldn't dare want to trespass on such hallowed ground. I was with a friend who thought the ticket booths at the drive-in entrance were outhouses for the construction people...
BTW...There are fences around the White House and The Pentagon...but you can still take pictures of them.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #331
fatlazyless

When the www.wowtrail.org gets built through there in a year or two or three or four or five or six or seven or eight or whenever, it seems like the trail could be passing down the alley that's between the wide open saloon lot and the drive-in movie lot.

There must be some use for the wide open commercial lot that would support a year round business as opposed to just a summer seasonal business. Maybe a Dunkin Donuts with a drive thru lane, or maybe a new local branch for the Meredith Village Savings Bank with a drive thru lane that offers a free temporary tattoo while u-do-ur-banking? No......probably much easier just to leave it a vacant lot.....that goes beer tent-vender space for 9-days in the middle of June every year!

...say-hey....how's about a stripper club with a liquor license, and maybe on Tuesday nites, it could be amateur nite where anyone who wants, could get the opportunity to present their not-too-practised choreography, enhanced by the on-site stripper atmosphere; .....u-know.....the stage, lighting and vertical 2" diameter, polished brass bar ..... it would easily attract some locals who slither out of the house for a couple hours of Tuesday nite independance ....... who just need somewhere to go ...... you know that's actually an EXCELLENT year round use for that vacant commercial lot! There are just not too many stripper clubs in the area......probably not even one? That is what would work in that spot.......a stripper club with Bud lite going for five dollars per glass......yes!....most definately....the highest & best use for that location.....and if I were choosing a name for this new stripper-bar......."Brandy's" ....... would be a good, easy-to-remember name!

....say-hey....u-doing-anything tonite......what-say we head over to Brandys tonite......and go see what's shak'n?

...do you think YOU might go....just to check it out......NO.....no-way.......not a chance!(?)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (11-28-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #332
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
When the www.wowtrail.org gets built through there in a year or two or three or four or five or six or seven or eight or whenever, it seems like the trail could be passing down the alley that's between the wide open saloon lot and the drive-in movie lot.

There must be some use for the wide open commercial lot that would support a year round business as opposed to just a summer seasonal business. Maybe a Dunkin Donuts with a drive thru lane, or maybe a new local branch for the Meredith Village Savings Bank with a drive thru lane that offers a free temporary tattoo while u-do-ur-banking? No......probably much easier just to leave it a vacant lot.....that goes beer tent-vender space for 9-days in the middle of June every year!

...say-hey....how's about a stripper club with a liquor license, and maybe on Tuesday nites, it could be amateur nite where anyone who wants, could get the opportunity to present their not-too-practised choreography, enhanced by the on-site stripper atmosphere; .....u-know.....the stage, lighting and vertical 2" diameter, polished brass bar ..... it would easily attract some locals who slither out of the house for a couple hours of Tuesday nite independance ....... who just need somewhere to go ...... you know that's actually an EXCELLENT year round use for that vacant commercial lot! There are just not too many stripper clubs in the area......probably not even one? That is what would work in that spot.......a stripper club with Bud lite going for five dollars per glass......yes!....most definately....the highest & best use for that location.....and if I were choosing a name for this new stripper-bar......."Brandy's" ....... would be a good, easy-to-remember name!

....say-hey....u-doing-anything tonite......what-say we head over to Brandys tonite......and go see what's shak'n?

...do you think YOU might go....just to check it out......NO.....no-way.......not a chance!(?)
The alley way? between the wide open and the drive inn? you mean the drive way that leads to the parking lot for the wide open? and yes I would go to BRANDIS place if they rebuilt, the restaurant was doing good and i hope they can rebuild. even without the support of the community
Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #333
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Oooooooo...the restricted toilet saloon and vaudeville era drive-in property...wouldn't dare want to trespass on such hallowed ground. I was with a friend who thought the ticket booths at the drive-in entrance were outhouses for the construction people...
BTW...There are fences around the White House and The Pentagon...but you can still take pictures of them.
OOOo disrespectful much, and yes you take pictures outside the fences, this picture was clearly taken inside the drive in. and for the people that do live behind the drive in they may find those signs useful. there are houses up there ya know. people that are NOT associated with the family ( other than owning homes on the land) that live there
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #334
Belmont Resident

Quote:
OOOo disrespectful much, and yes you take pictures outside the fences, this picture was clearly taken inside the drive in. and for the people that do live behind the drive in they may find those signs useful. there are houses up there ya know. people that are NOT associated with the family ( other than owning homes on the land) that live there
I think he is correct, as many have stated the properties talked about including the drive in look like a dump.
I seriously doubt that anyone who lives here is going to go around promoting the Weirs Drive-in as a great place to take the family. On the contrary like many other places in the lakes region if it were not for those who flood into town during the summer months the drive-in would have been long gone years ago.
Weather you like to hear it or not the owners of the now torn down building and the Weirs drive-in are a scab on this area. The sad thing is that the drive-in could be so much more and possibly attract so much more business to the area if it was.
brk-lnt (11-29-2012), idoso (11-29-2012), Resident 2B (11-29-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #335
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I think he is correct, as many have stated the properties talked about including the drive in look like a dump.
I seriously doubt that anyone who lives here is going to go around promoting the Weirs Drive-in as a great place to take the family. On the contrary like many other places in the lakes region if it were not for those who flood into town during the summer months the drive-in would have been long gone years ago.
Weather you like to hear it or not the owners of the now torn down building and the Weirs drive-in are a scab on this area. The sad thing is that the drive-in could be so much more and possibly attract so much more business to the area if it was.
Im sorry so the families that live up there, live in dumps? what is wrong with you people. those "dumps" are someone home. where they live with their familes. Im hope they dont read the crap you people post on here, hard working people that are lucky to have a home at all. wow, disgusting and by the way, and I have family that lives up in those houses, and trailers and they are far from dumps, they are nice family homes, I would be more than happy to live in.
The Following User Says Thank You to evergreenenvious For This Useful Post:
This'nThat (03-07-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #336
Winnisquamguy

Just saw this on there Facebook page. Guess its going to be pretty busy place for bike week.
http://www.yourbikeweek.com/Home.html
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #337
Heaven

Quote:
To see a more detailed list of entertainment, contests, and events going on at Laconia Bike Week visit our events page.
. . . don't they need special permitting for some of these activities?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #338
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
. . . don't they need special permitting for some of these activities?
Yes you are correct but Laconia hands them out like candy. That is where they make all their money.You will start to see them in the newspaper who applied for what and how much they have to pay.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #339
MaidenCove07

Default What's with the Drive-In Haters

I've been summering at the Weirs my whole life and missed a drive-in movie only about a handful of years.
We look forward to it and do it more and more often lately. Pack a cooler with all your favorite snacks and adult beverages and tailgate for a flick - it's a ball.
Sadly, the family name associated with the other property is the same so the bashing continues...? Kinda sad!
I hope the Drive-In remains, yes it could be spruced up a bit, but to what end, so they have to charge $10 a person.
Looking forward to my traditional flick - Hunger Games Part 2 would be fun.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote