Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
dippasan

Default Four Winns Boat Porpoising

Hi Folks,
I just bought a 1995 Four Winns 190 Horizon for my older boys to use this summer so Daddy doesn't need to take them out tubing etc. every 5 minutes. It has a 5.0L V8 and is 215 HP. The boat runs terrific, planes quickly but porpoises pretty severely as soon as I start to trim it up. It's ok with the drive all the way in but that makes it plow and kills the top end speed. It doesn't seem to matter if there's 2 or 4 people in the boat or where they sit. Even trimming it up just a little makes it start to porpoise.
I also have a 28' Formula with twins so I know how to trim an engine and use trim tabs etc. I'm thinking about buying a "fin" for the out drive, but before I start drilling holes I wanted to see if anyone has had luck with one of these eliminating porpoising.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
dippasan is offline   Reply With Quote