Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up What was the highlight of your Summer 2010 in the LR?

What did you do this summer that was just tops and the thing you'll remember long after the leaves are off the trees?

What made Summer 2010 great?

Do tell...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
RLW

Default My highlight of our Summer 2010 in the LR?

My wife partially over coming 2 serious back operations in 3 days in the middle of June and her recovery enough to be able to come and recoup during the months of September through the end of November and longer if needed up here on the mountain beside the still waters of the lake.

Last edited by RLW; 10-04-2010 at 06:40 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Lucky1

Going to my first Forum Fest and meeting so many nice people was my special summer 2010 happening at the lake. It was fun to have a face to go with so many of the Forum names.

I was very very lucky to meet some nice gals who love the lake as I do and have been here many many years too. They are such a find that I feel like they are one more treasure from the lake!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
WinnDixie

Default Couple of highlights

We always love to come back home and see everyone and everything...but this year two standouts were the graduation of our youngest grandson from Laconia High and also our fun day out on Rattlesnake Island and meeting Rattlesnake Gal and Guy. Even though we were a little ahead of your fabulous summer weather, those two days cooperated, too!

RLW...your's is heartwarming! Happy for both of you!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
RI Swamp Yankee

Thanks to posts here in the forum, we stopped for the first time at Red Hill Dari. I had passed it many times over the years but decided to give it a try.

Thanks forum members for helping add a new place to my short list of "Where to eat".
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Enjoying the outdoors

We have used our boat more this year than we have in the last two years combined, and perhaps more than any year we have had our boat. We have also golfed almost every weekend and often would go out on the boat after a round of golf.
While we have had some struggles in other areas of our life this year, we have persevered and still managed to enjoy our outdoor life.
Lastly, we have re-learned to count our blessings.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Long Pine

Through the help of SteveA on this forum, I got connected with an organization called Northeast Passage, a nonprofit specializing in adaptive sports. By connecting with this organization, we were able to help a dear friend's 17 year old daughter who sustained a tragic spinal cord injury while sledding last winter and who is now a paraplegic. With the help of this organization, she learned to use a sit-ski for waterskiing. I was able to pull her around the lake and see the sense of accomplishment she felt and the fun she had. Her positive attitude was an inspiration to my entire family and I suspect that this was the first of many new activities she will master. Definitely the highlight of my summer!
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Long Pine For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-04-2010), LIforrelaxin (10-04-2010), Lucky1 (10-04-2010), SteveA (10-06-2010), The Eagle (10-04-2010), upthesaukee (10-03-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Peter

Watching the smiles on my two daughter's faces as they tried tubing for the first time!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
Coolbreeze

Just being able to go up to the LR was a highlight. Everything else along the way just added to the great experience.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I had ups and downs. But the best things for me, were the fact the weather was great almost all Summer. I got to be with my wife and do some hiking, watching wildlife, and do more planting in my yard. Before I moved up here it was always go, go, go...Off to some function, building something, out to bars, etc.... Now I just try to relax, sit on the boat, watch the sunsets from the dock, read a good book or ten. Yeah relax, it is almost too easy to do up here.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
feb

Seeing 3 generations swimming, floating, and jumping around in the water. The water was so warm this year no one could use the "its too cold" excuse.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
Dave R

For me it was my two-week "staycation". Spent a few perfect days on Winnipesaukee enjoying: Braun Bay, lobster dinner at Sandy Point, hanging out with boating friends, tubing, sunsets, big waves, ice cream, grilling on the boat, "cheap" gas, Naswa, etc. Simply grand weather we had.

Also spent a few perfect days of my "staycation" just outside the NH lakes region: I hiked Mt. Adams (King Ravine up, Airline down), did my annual "Pawtuckaway State Park triathalon" mountain-bike-ride/canoe-trip/hike-up-a-mountain (all on the same day, helps if you happen to live next to the park...), went to Hampton beach for a day, and spent time sleeping aboard my boat in the lakes region of Maine (something I wish I could legally do here in NH).
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
robmac

The weather and all the time spent on the water with family and friends. Couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather spend all of my summers.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Grant

Stellar weather. 2010 was a keeper.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
summersux

Winning first place with my 11yo at THERE'S A BLACK FLY IN MY EYE 10-MILE TRAIL RUN & RELAY. Or finishing my first 100 race 27 hours and 17 mins. Next year it will be under 24 hours.
summersux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
Jeanzb1

Default The BEST summer ever!

This was a summer reminiscent of those fabulous childhood summers! The weather was A+ and the water was a delight day in and day out -- as was our new Scrabble friends, my new knitting friends, many black raspberry ice cream cones from Sawyer's, and every single day being mesmerized by the view from our deck. This weekend we start the long roll south back to Florida but Winni is in our hearts forever and ever. We're already looking forward to our return in May.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Begonezvous

Default what I did on summer vacation

This year was a mixed bag.

On one hand, I was unemployed for most of the summer. This wasn't expecially good for me or the many people sharing my circumstances.

On the other hand, I'm going back to work, I made the best of the great weather and my leisure time, I learned how to make a very good Marinara Sauce and I caught my biggest freshwater fish ever.

More importantly, my family is healthy so there is nothing else worth complaining about.
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Begonezvous For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
jeffatsquam

Easily one of the top moments of my life happened early this summer,
as I watched my son take his maiden solo voyage out of Lees mills to met up with some friends.

A 14 yo boy with the freedom of his own boat to go exploring and hanging out on the lake made me so happy that I had to sit in the truck to compose myself.

Hoping he would have this experience since the day he was born and here it was happening before my eyes
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
SteveA (10-06-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
john60ri

Default Laconia

Beautiful August morning that I spent in downtown Laconia. First, I walked part of the WOW trail, starting at the library. (By the way, anyone notice what a magnificent building that is, both the old and the new parts?) Then I had a coffee and a muffin at the bakery near the old hotel, found some interesting old books and CDs at the thrift store, and bought a recorder (the musical instrument) for my daughter at the music store. Best of all, I got to spend a few hours away from my wife and daughter.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default This was a summer of Many great point for me

So much happened to me this summer that it is hard to know where to start. But I believe the most amazing thing was getting married, to the love of my life... Which started a entire summer of firsts for me. The first trip to the lake as a married man, stopping in to see friends around the lake, and making sure I didn't stumble and make the mistake of still call my wife my fiancée. Having the Joy of realizing that I married someone who enjoyed the lake as much as I do, as we slowly came home in the middle of two down pours over the course of the summer. As I say I just don't know where to really start with all the 1st I had this summer.

This was also a summer where I watched the lake change. Not the lake itself but the aura surrounding it. Somewhere along the way a little charm was lost unfortunately. It was saddening in some aspects but refreshing in others. While I saw how quickly an issue could divide people and bring out their worst, I also saw how a particular event could bring a group of people together and make them strive to make things better. Luckily what I realized from all this is that when people come together for the common good, they are able to over power the obstacles in their way. While when people approach a problem and come together out of fear and spite, they bring out the worst in themselves and others. These events have changed my perception of the lake, and of the openness I always felt people had. I now realize that some people don't know how to keep their minds open, and selfishly want to push their beliefs on others. It is not the way it should be. Everyone will never totally agree, however compromise and listening are the traits that people need to have to allow the proper change to come forward. Unfortunately Proper change is not what some people want.

With all that said, this was another great summer, I met many wonderful people... Visited Rattlesnake Island for the first time, and hopefully found a friend who will allow me to return next summer and climb to the summit of the island. I found people whom I shared many common interests with, and we had a blast meeting up all over the lake.... And best of all I ran the boat for 40 - 50 hours again this summer, and never thought about the money, I only thought about the fun.....
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Today

Today is a milestone for the RGs. Today we get to spend it with our very best friends (each other) in the place we love the most.

25 years ago today, we got married.

Of all the things we talked about doing to celebrate the event, none appealed to us as much as what we do just about every weekend. Enjoying the day on the island in the best place in the world. Waking up to the sounds of the lake.

And yes, Celia was only 10 years old when we got married.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #22
Mr. V

Shooting craps at the old dog track in Belmont.

Swimming out into the lake and contemplating my mortality.

"Dodge City" at the Weirs.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #23
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful day!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #24
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Today is a milestone for the RGs. Today we get to spend it with our very best friends (each other) in the place we love the most.

25 years ago today, we got married.

Of all the things we talked about doing to celebrate the event, none appealed to us as much as what we do just about every weekend. Enjoying the day on the island in the best place in the world. Waking up to the sounds of the lake.

And yes, Celia was only 10 years old when we got married.
Congrats to you both. My situation was exactly the same this past August. It was our 25th, lets celebrate. You bet! See you on the dock with a Martini...
For the record, my wife was 12 when we got married....

BT
Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Hummm it seems to me I need to learn what age my wife was when we got married.... So that the calculator correctly adds up when I get to 25 years...seems like their is some Calculus in there that I was unaware of..... Why don't they have a school for newly weds so that we understand these things!!!!!

Blue Thunder and RattleSnake Guy, Congratulation to you and your wives, may you enjoy their company for another 25 years.

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 10-05-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: grammer
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #26
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
What did you do this summer that was just tops and the thing you'll remember long after the leaves are off the trees?

What made Summer 2010 great?

Do tell...
Just being on the island!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #27
jkjoshuatree

Talking Great Thread!!

I posted this before and decided I can't really narrow down just one favorite highlight. The ENTIRE month was amazing.

Restaurants:

Lemon Grass
Lago (2x)
Baileys (more times than I care to mention)
Garwoods (2x)
Kevin's Cafe
Sea King
Guisseppe's
Ben & Jerry's
Morrissey's
The Restaurant (3x)
Burrito Me
East of Suez

Hikes:

Back Bay (9x-1x via bike)
Knights Pond
Abenaki Fire Tower
Five Finger Point (3x)
Chamberlain-Reynolds
Red Hill
Castle In The Clouds
Weeks Woods
Rattlesnake
Mt. Major

I also rented a boat twice and cruised to Blanchard Island to jump off the rocks and zipped to Meredith for late night ice cream.

Rented a jet ski on the windiest day I've ever been on the Broads (my son loved it though).

Found a rope swing at a secret spot in Wolfeboro.

Visited my Mom's side of the family in Meredith and my Dad's on Bear Island (jumped off the Mail Dock roof too, but don't tell anyone-it's illegal according to the sign).

Purchased some choice cuts of meat and other various items for the Win'ing Butcher Shoppe.

Lit off fireworks and got yelled at.

Had my pups off leash one too many times and had the police summoned by the same friendly neighbor who yelled at me for said fireworks.

Took a Forrest Yoga class in a 105 degree heated room (never sweat so much in my life!).

Celebrated my 3rd year anniversary with my wife.

Swam in the lake first thing every morning after my workout and the last thing at night just before bed.

Went to the Wolfeboro Craft Fair, where I bought way too much stuff to support the local merchants.

Witnessed countless deer, a toad, my first Bald Eagle, a few snakes, and a porcupine (the third time was the charm-the first two times my dogs just had to introduce themselves, which resulted in a trip to the vet and left me $1000 poorer).

Took a few midnight walks by the light of the moon without a flashlight.

And attended several AA meetings just to remind myself that the sober life is better (for me personally) and to also remind myself to be grateful for all that I have.

Thanks for reading!

_________
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
KBoater

Default good moments are the small ordinary ones

I guess the good moments are the small ordinary ones.

Getting a clean bill of cancer free health as one of the lucky 20%

Lunch in the middle of the broads in my boat.
Falling asleep on my porch listening to the birds in the trees.
Watching the next generation get excited at the 4th parade and fireworks.
Watching a baby’s first step.
Watching the grand nieces/nephews first sunfish sail.
Finding new friends and missing old ones.
Surprised by early fall color along the Bearcamp on the way to Conway.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #29
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
....25 years ago today, we got married. ...
Happy Aniversary to the RGs

WinnDixie (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #30
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

I think the highlight of our summer was finding out that our 75 yr old island neighbor was finally going to be O.K. after some severe complications and long recuperation from Gall bladder surgery.

2nd on the list would have to be opening up the camp the last weekend in March and enjoying the very mild and early spring weather!!

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #31
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Blue Thunder and RattleSnake Guy, Congratulation to you and your wives, may you enjoy their company for another 25 years.
That's the Plan!!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
That's the Plan!!
The highlight of the summer for me was sharing a special moment with NHEscape.We were towing Redwing's kayaks back to her home so we were using NHEscape's 1987 aluminum boat with a 6HP engine. When we were out in the boat it reminded me of our endless summer days back in 1960's. We traveled everywhere in the 60's in one of NHEscapes small aluminum boats. We would tell our mother's that we were going out in the area and then we would take off from Green's Basin and go the Weirs and back. Traveling across the broads was always an event. We have so many wonderful memories from growing up on the lake. We are the lucky one's because we are so fortunate to be able to make lifelong memories and lifelong friends on L. Winnipesaukee year after year.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Nhescape (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Special summer

I spent two magnificent weeks in July and two weeks in August at the lake, and my amazing memories include jet ski rides with Greens Basin Girl, boat rides from port to port in our 4 Winns with NHEsacpe and GBG, and on my last full day, I drove us in our boat to Wolfboro on what had to be the windiest day (and wildest drive) ever, with 3-4 foot swells in the lake. We made it in one piece, but what a ride!! I also had the privilege of spending quality time with my lake friends, whom I have known since we were very young --- we laughed, went out to dinner, entertained each other, kayaked, and enjoyed every moment together. A little wine here and there, as well, sitting on our decks and watching our magnificent lake, and the setting sun. Also met some lovely folks at the Forum Fest with whom I look forward to forging new friendships.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (10-06-2010), Nhescape (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #34
Formula

Default Best summer ever

Thanks to the weather, my past employer and my family this was the best summer i have had in awhile. I was very lucky to spend the entire summer with my 16 year old son. We hiked, swim, taught my son boating basics for his test (son got his certificate), made some repairs to the house had lots of friends and other family up for vacations.
Now i need to get a job!
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #35
John A. Birdsall

Default good times

I enjoyed every weekend spent at the cottage. my wife and I also celebrated our 40th Anniversary on a cruise and at Disney World. Wonderful weather, but the heat was a bit too much. Perhaps the worst day was when my boat sank at the peir. But with the help of a neighbor we got it afloat again. Yet another joy was when my father came home from the hospital and he is doing wonderful. now for mom.....
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #36
AC2717

Default Well

a couple of things:
My daughter learning to swim on her own, at the lake of course and her having the guts to jump off the boat and jet ski (she is 4)

My wife docking the boat soley on her own for the first time with no direction and also her towing me water skiing for the first time as well

Having my cousin's come up from FL to enjoy the lake

Enjoying new type of beers

more to come if I can remember them
Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #37
LadyJane

I usually come up to the lake myself, but this summer was the best because I got my husband, daughter and two grand kids to come with me ! We had the best time ever and it was fun to show them around and have them enjoy some of the things that I love about this area. Some highlights were the great weather, swimming every day, taking my 4 year old grand daughter to Squam Lakes Science Center while daughther and grandson flew in the pontoon plane over the lake, walking down to Leavitte Park beach in the dark and looking up at the sky, climbing up Abenaki Tower on my son's birthday, walking the trail at the Loon Center, eating out, sitting on the deck late at night talking, and just being there. Great thread......heart warming to read the responses.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #38
NoRegrets

2010 – Another “year” notch on the belt of life!

Summer Highlights and events I am thankful for:

• Soldiers that continue to do our work around the world still keeping us safe.
• Mom, family, and friends that helped in the passing of my friend and father to Alzheimer’s.
• My wife for 30 years of marriage
• 4 years of our little Murphy and his doggie antics
• Marina life with the friends
• The Winni Forum
• Kayaking
• Rafting
• BBQ’s
• Chip, Mary and crew from C J Avery’s
• Dave and Bob from Belmont Firearm’s and range
• Having a job that I enjoy
• Realizing how blessed we are to be able to share Lake Winnipesaukee
• Taking work associates out on the great lake for their first visit
• The incredible weather and warm water we had this summer
• The Irwin team that takes care of us and the NoRegrets

I am also thankful this thread gave me the opportunity to take a moment and reflect on what is important. Everything on my list centers on interactions with others!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #39
JonLevis

Getting more comfortable getting my boat in and out of the boat yard! Went out on the water almost every week now that I don't have a stroke while maneuvering out!

Other than that, being able to share the Lake with my two boys and watching them become big fans too! Now when given the choice of something or the Lake, my 6-year old chooses the Lake!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #40
colt17

Getting our newborn on the boat for the first time this summer
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #41
Gatto Nero

Got to use my buddy's Air Chair for a week or so. Those things are a blast!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #42
kaj

Default A drive around the lake

Taking a late season drive around the lake. Made even better by sharing it with someone who had never been to the lake before.