Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Lucky1

Default Everyone will know, "Winnipesaukee means "Smile of the Great Spirit."

There it is, right there in my daughter, Alethea Black's, new book, "I KNEW YOU'D BE LOVELY" that is receiving wonderful reviews! One of her short stories that is set on Lake Winnipesaukee and called "The Summer Before" has an exchange where one character says, "Winnipesaukee means, "Smile of the Great Spirit." I can see the two boys beside our rental and another across the cove in some of what Alethea writes. Of course I can see the fiction too!

"I KNEW YOU'D BE LOVELY" was piublished July 5th by Broadway Books, a division of Random House). Alethea Black has been named to the select fall list of "Discover Great New Writers" group at Barnes and Noble.

There were a group of kids on that cove who had wonderful fun many summers. I had been to the same cove when I was a child. What a wonderful way for youngsters to grow. "The Summer Before" is not my favorite of the thirteen, but it is the one in which I see my wonderful lake and remember all the wonderful times that both I and my children had in a rental on the shore over a period starting in the fifties and ending only in 1986 when I purchased my own cottage to which I will go NEXT THURSDAY! If any are on Facebook go to Alethea Black and there you can see the many wonderful reviews. "Winnipesaukee means smile of the great spirit" is there forever in my daughter's book, but that smile of the great spirit enters my heart every time I am at the lake. Rejoice with me!!

Last edited by Lucky1; 07-10-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-09-2011), Greene's Basin Girl (07-09-2011), jkjoshuatree (07-09-2011), KeepItSimple (07-10-2011), SteveA (07-14-2011), trfour (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
jkjoshuatree

Default Lucky1...

I'm rejoicing with you.

And I have goosebumps. And tears in my eyes reading your post.

Congrats!!!

I'm making it a point to go out and get the book tomorrow.

Maybe someday (before she's world famous) she can sign my copy for me.
Lucky1 (07-10-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Lucky1

Default Newtonville tonight and finally at the lake tomorrow!

Two friends and I are going to hear Alethea give a reading at a bookstore in Newtonville, MA tonight and then we plan to drive to the Lake!!!!! Hope there are not too many weeds among the flowers. Alethea can only stay one day and then she is returning to NY. Two of my daughters live in CA and another lives in DC but is hoping to move to CA. I cannot imagine leaving the lake or living in CA. So I am going to grow old (OR OLDER I GUESS IS THE CASE) right at my favorite place on thsi earth! Lake Winnipesaukee! Opps one down bit of information. My raft chains are not floating, ice must have pulled them off of the floats that kept them able to be used each year and then they either dropped to the bottom or floated away so the raft is still on the grass. ALWAYS SOMETHING I GUESS! WILL HAVE TO GET NEW CHAINS AND GET THEM ATTACHED. NO IDEA HOW TO DO THAT OF COURSE. MAYBE SOMEONE WHO SCUBA DIVES?? IT IS ONLY ABOUT 8 TO 10 FEET AT THE RAFT I THINK. SEE YOU ALL SOON.

Last edited by Lucky1; 07-15-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
eillac@dow

Default You must be so proud!

You must be so proud of your daughter. What a lucky parent. I bet she worked long and hard. So good for all.

I just this moment ordered this book and look forward to it arriving. I figured I will read it and leave it on our family room coffee table and one sister or the other will pick it up and read.

I look forward to reading it...Perhaps some day, while I am sitting on the beach or dock...just enjoying the wonderful life of Winnie I will start my reading...

Best wishes to you and Altehea!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (08-06-2011)