Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Blue Thunder

Default Fantastic Summer Weather

So maybe it's just me, but I am struck by the lack of activity in the Weather Forum section given this unbelievably awesome summer we are experiencing. IMHO, this is, and if it continues, will be, one of the best summers certainly in recent years, if not, in over 10 years. There have only been 5 weather related posts (in the weather forum section) since June 30th! Maybe everyone is just out enjoying it.......

BT
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
hancoveguy

03-21-2010, 03:54 PM #1
hancoveguy

Thanked 41 Times in 12 Posts Predictions for summer weather

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calling all weather people-

I know I have read many a weather prediction on this site. I also know there are many pro or semi pro weather people on here.

Heres the question...

Does anyone have any early predictions as to what the summer weather pattern will bring us?

I am guessing or rather hoping for long hot and dry, but who isn't.
Look forward to hearing the forum's thoughts based on anything; the farmer's almanac, the winter weather, or whatever else a person can make a guess on.

HCG

Did I call it or what.... You are all very welcome.....

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
trfour

Default Well, Between Blue Thunder And hancoveguy...

I have a question?

' How come weather people are on the protected species list ? '...

Answer is; The statistics for weather folks, over many many years, none of them have been struck by lightning, got sucked up into an tornado, HIT by a hailstone, they are hurricane proof, I've never seen one with even an umbrella on, and they also get zip-No rays from radar Or doppler... Now, besides WBZ's transmitting tower getting blown over and taken OFF the air very briefly. Here again, they seem to have a union contract with Mother Nature.

Side Note; I left work in Boston on my motorcycle wearing a T shirt, took a ride up to 'Nashaway NH to visit with my folks there, it was hot and sunny at the time, and all of a sudden the sky turned black, and the hailstones started stinging and hurting bigtime until I pulled in under an overpass!
Only lasted for a few minutes, however, I was black & blue all over, under the overpass!

Not to let the cat out of the bag, weather folks know what they are doing.
The rest of us don't have a clue!

Terry
__________________________________________________ _____

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Couldn't Agree More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
So maybe it's just me, but I am struck by the lack of activity in the Weather Forum section given this unbelievably awesome summer we are experiencing. IMHO, this is, and if it continues, will be, one of the best summers certainly in recent years, if not, in over 10 years. There have only been 5 weather related posts (in the weather forum section) since June 30th! Maybe everyone is just out enjoying it.......

BT
Couldn't agree more B.T.!! It's simply been a great summer thus far! Even the upcoming 10 day weather forecast looks great!!

I think everyone is afraid to say anything so we don't get jinxed and get the "whammy" from the weather gods.

Have a great summer!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
jkjoshuatree

Default Couldn't Agree More...

...it been the best weather I can ever remember. Some very hot days, a few humid ones, cool nights, breezy days, calm days, but the bottom line is the amount of sun we've been seeing every day. Amazing!!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
...it been the best weather I can ever remember. Some very hot days, a few humid ones, cool nights, breezy days, calm days, but the bottom line is the amount of sun we've been seeing every day. Amazing!!
I agree it has been incredible. Almost a perfect summer.

Although, at some point we are going to have to start worrying about drought conditions. There is a small pond near me that is very low. I am beginning to be concerned about my well drying up.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
VtSteve

I picked next week for vacation, since it's almost always a safe bet this time of year.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

There's a strange thing about us weather geeks. We don't talk about sunny weather. Give us a hurricane, blizzard, major flood, rare severe weather outbreak with tornadoes... then you will see weather geeks on this forum talking about it all! You'll see us sharing pictures of damage and of fantastic phenomena few people ever see.

We weather geeks are like firefighters. There are many people who are both weather geek and firefighter, like yours truly. It's a different mentality than "normal." It's like a soldier mentality.

Old soldiers tell war stories. Old firefighters tell fire stories. Old meteorologists tell storm stories. Each of those stories got a lot of people talking when they first happened, the way people talk on this forum about a current storm.

When the weather gives the current generation of local weather geeks another storm story for our mental libraries, I'll bet you'll see the first drafts of those stories right here.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Merrymeeting

As many have noted, this summer has been the most fantastic for lake enjoyment in a long, long, time, and I wouldn't want to give any of it back.

But increasingly, or decreasingly as the case may be, the weather is certainly affecting the water level on Merrymeeting Lake. We are at the lowest level seen at this time of year by a long shot, and we seem to be dropping at a rate of 1-2" each day now.

We are 2.5-3' below normal high water. In many cases, people are starting to abandon use of their docks as either the water is too shallow or too far below the dock structures to be useful.

Merrymeeting is fed by several large streams and many springs. All of them are barely a trickle at this point.

There has been no overflow from the dam since early July. But we cannot stop the regular flow from the lake as the deepwater pipes that feed the fish hatchery still require a full flow.

This is good news for those of you on Winipesaukee as it means the flow into the Merrymeeting River, and therefore into Alton Bay remains somewhat normal.

Much as I've loved this weather, we could use a long rainstorm.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
ApS

Red face A/c

Ten years ago, after a hot summer, I saw Haida air conditioners on sale at Home Depot ($90), so I bought two.

("Window-shakers")

Except for running them for the single purpose of an occasional "shaking-out of hemlock needles", it seems that turned out to be a poor choice of "discretionary resources".

With a heavily-shaded lot, we still should have used them more often, but I think those A/Cs have been used only three days in those ten years!

Not once this year.

Being located close to the lake, the heater's been used every night recently—until this weekend! (It got muggy last night, and could have used the A/C—but just forgot. )

I remember the Lakes Region being much hotter as a kid—through the 1980s. (And one summer, remembering it reached 103° in Portsmouth).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Cool The 60's

I can remember one summer, we had a severe drought. The lake level was the lowest since the dam was built. Our deep water dock was a dry dock. We had an awesome beach out front of the property. I can remember walking along the shore line from Terrace Hill Road to Ellacaoya State Beach! We had so much sun, the evergreen trees were turning brown!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
We had so much sun, the evergreen trees were turning brown!
Around our house they are this time too. We've had yellow pine needles falling for a month.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new..._fall_foliage/
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #13
ApS

Question Forecasting...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
We've had yellow pine needles falling for a month.
Hemlock needles are falling like rain: I've never had such bitter hot-coffee outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
if it continues...one of the best summers certainly in recent years, if not, in over 10 years. There have only been 5 weather related posts (in the weather forum section) since June 30th! Maybe everyone is just out enjoying it.......

BT
This year has been excellent for Lake Winnipesaukee, I agree.

Although we've had some "crummy" summers through the past 10 years, "improvement" in recent forecast-science may have much to do with absence(s) of visitors.

Oftentimes, a broadcast will give a "30%-chance of rain or scattered thunderstorms". But our lake weather actually ends up pretty good—in spite of such enthusiasm-dimming forecasts.

Based on that "30% chance", week-enders living within a 2- or 3-hour drive from the lake, may be canceling their Lake Winnipesaukee plans—I wonder.

Last edited by ApS; 09-07-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added "improvement"
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default Curious to see the effects.

Around our house all the leaves on the oaks and maples are dying and falling off the trees.
No changing color just dying from lack of water.
It is great to have this nice weather but the lack of rain could hold consequences down the road. Our well pump had to be turned off to let it recover as it ran the well dry due to the water table being so low. This has never happened before.
I like summer as much as I like winter but this has been ridiculous with all the heat and humidity. When I had an 8-4 job inside I used to love the heat and wish I could work outside during the summer and inside in the winter. Now that I have that as a painting contractor I do not like the heat as much as I did before. It grows old real quick.
Great for all the vacationers but not good for the effects on the environment.
It will be interesting to see what the lack of rain does to the foliage.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #15
Island Girl

Default But the wind!!!!

It has been sunny and hot, but the wind has been beyond ridiculous. Last summer we went fishing at least once a weekend, typically after dinner. This year we only went once because it was way too windy.

It has been the same for jetskiing. Our two week vacation saw just three calm days to go scooting across the lake. The rest of the time was too bumpy from the wind to be enjoyable or so windy it would be dangerous.

It has been like winter waiting for it to snow.. the calm lake just never came. Each weekend we would say..."Well there is always next weekend!" The next weekend would be even worse.

On the other hand... it has been summer right into September!!!

I have seen the lake lower that this, but it is getting shallow at my dock.

Here's to a calmer fall and an eary ice-in.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
It has been sunny and hot, but the wind has been beyond ridiculous. Last summer we went fishing at least once a weekend, typically after dinner. This year we only went once because it was way too windy.

It has been the same for jetskiing. Our two week vacation saw just three calm days to go scooting across the lake. The rest of the time was too bumpy from the wind to be enjoyable or so windy it would be dangerous.

It has been like winter waiting for it to snow.. the calm lake just never came. Each weekend we would say..."Well there is always next weekend!" The next weekend would be even worse.

On the other hand... it has been summer right into September!!!

I have seen the lake lower that this, but it is getting shallow at my dock.

Here's to a calmer fall and an eary ice-in.
There have been a number of hard-blowing days, but then again, it's been pretty awesome for sailing much of the time - except when it's really blowing so hard it would tip my litte boat over

I want to get a foundation (piers) for an addition this fall for spring construction, so hopefully no ice in until about December

Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
Island Girl

Default December works for me!!!

I can wait until mid December for ice-in!!! Unfortunately it is usually not until the latter part of January.

This I call the "get work done" period when playing on the lake is not possible.

The rest of the winter season is reserved for play.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote