Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Smelly water!!!!

Anyone got ideas on why the "well" water in our cottage stinks! It is actually my brother's place, but I know he is perplexed. We have been told the smell is "sulphur".....any thoughts on what the problem is and how to correct? Thank you!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Formula260SS

Sounds like Hydrogen Sulfide, a Carbon filter will take care of it. You can use a small cartridge type filter or a larger backwash filter. Just google it, there is plenty of info on the internet
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Shedwannabe

It happens. A place I rented had horrible smelling water - a new carbon filter took much of the smell away, but showers were still a smelly affair at first.... and then... you get used to it. its hard to believe. I always wondered how pig farmers could stand the smell, but you just...get used to it. Visitors would always comment and I had forgotten about the smell....
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
DickR

We've had a similar situation. Without an actual water test, the symptoms make me think it is "iron bacteria." If the system is used daily, the pipes and water heater are flushed well enough so that the smell is barely noticeable. When we are just weekending, it is strong when we first come in, as the water in the system has been sitting for 5 days at favorable temperatures.

What I have been doing recently when we leave after a weekend is to turn off the heater breaker and supply valve to the heater, open the hot water faucets until the dribbles stop, open the drain valve at the bottom (to which is attached a hose connection that runs down and outside), and let the tank drain to empty. It helps to lift the relief valve lever at the top to break suction, although I suspect that ultimately air would flow back from the tub faucet close by to vent the tank. As we leave, I turn off the pump breaker as well.

Coming back in, use of the toilet a couple of times and opening the cold faucet in the tub empties much of the water left in the air tank underneath the house. Then I close the vent and drain valves on the hot water heater, then open the supply valve. It takes a few minutes to refill the tank. When it is full, as indicated by water coming from the hot faucets, I turn the breaker back on to have hot water in the morning.

Evacuating the bulk of the system and letting the normal use of the cold side during restart flush has eliminated the smell.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
wifi

Default Iron Bacteria

I had the same problem when I switched from lake water to well a few years back. My well is higher in iron and manganese and the bacteria from the lake had lots of food. I had to flush and clorox my system several times and change the anode in the water heater to a less friendly metal.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
ApS

Wink Helpful links, maybe...

Www.winnipesaukee.com has a great depth of well water options.

Oops... that could have been worded better.

Well, these www.winnipesaukee.com links might pinpoint exactly the solution to your water problem. One problem was traced to a dead mouse in the well!

However, reading the following links is a form of schadenfreude for us on lake water: because there were never any Radon issues—and no longer any MtBE issues—you might want to switch to lake water for better quality water!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4060
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=87614
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=86962
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=97370
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7097
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=40777
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=38694
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Kamper

Default Cross Referenceing

I added a link to this, to a similiar question, on another forum I visit. I think this tip might help some folks with this problem.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside...ml#post2634426

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphughes View Post
You need to put an aerator on your plumbing system. Basically its a big fiberglass tank that the water sprays into it with fine mist sprinkler heads. This will remove the majority of your sulfur. It requires another pump to go inside this tank to pump inside the house. The sulfur is not hurting your glass lined tank its just the sulfur oxide coating the inside but want hurt anything. Smells terrible like rotten eggs.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
BenLasher

Default Check Your Existing Filter Element (if you have one)

If you have an existing basic filter system in line with your holding tank, check the filter. I had poor smelling water, and replacing the element (rope, paper, etc) filter took care of it. Algae had grown on the filter and was creating the smell.

There are various grades of filters that can be used. I had replaced the filter with a fairly cheap option, and for some reason, it prompted the algae growth earlier than other filter elements I had used.
BenLasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
bigdog

Default Smelly Water

Echoing Formula260SS comments...... 'Hydrogen Sulfide' sounds like the issue...

Experienced the same here in Gilford, shortly after moving into new Condo....

Was told it by Condo Assoc and Gilford Wells Co., that this is a common problem and siomething we just have to live with.... Mmmmmmmmm....

As Formula260SS indicated, a 'carbon filter' will remove most of the odor.
The sediment type filter 'will not' help or eliminate the issue.

I have a 'whole house' Whirlpool' filtration system, with a carbon filter.
However, when I first moved into Condo, smelly water was very present, smelled like rotten eggs ! The carbon filter looked like it hadn't been changed in years ! After I change out the filter with a new one, the smell disappeared !

Good luck !

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
jrc

If this just started, I'd look at some of the other suggestions. If it only happens when you open the camp for the year, I'd live with it.

We had a rotten egg smell from our well since it was drilled. We had a iron removal water treatment system installed and it works great. We don't have iron, but a side effect of the iron removal system is sulphur removal. It's backwashes itself every few days on a timer and uses no chemicals. It was not cheap.

The only other approach that the water treatment guys would stand behind was clorination. That is much cheaper initially but requires regular clorine refills.

Any reputable water treatment company will give you a free water test. And then try to sell you expensive treatment equipment. But if you hold out, you can work them to a good price for just what you need.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote