Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Winnisquamguy

Default The ultimate sacrifice of trying to save your dog.

http://news.yahoo.com/mass-couple-di...BeXFMdmOlg#_=_

A Massachusetts couple boating on a lake drowned after jumping into the water to rescue their dog, who survived. Police say the small dog named Sadie jumped into Hampton Ponds in Westfield on Monday night, prompting 64-year-old Donald Cyr to follow his pet into the lake.
Police told The Westfield News that he became distressed and his wife, 61-year-old Patricia Cyr, tried to rescue him.
Their daughter, Miranda Landry, told The Boston Globe that her mother jumped into the water despite not being able to swim.
"It doesn't surprise me at all," Landry said. "I know that's what she would do."
Other boaters, alerted by screams, helped pull the couple from the water. Efforts by rescue personnel failed to revive them, and both were pronounced dead at hospitals.
The dog survived and was taken to the municipal animal shelter. The couple received the West Highland white terrier as a gift from Daniel Cyr's sister six weeks ago to replace a beloved dog that died a year ago, Landry and a neighbor told The Globe.
The dog will be returned to Daniel Cyr's sister, Landry said, adding that she couldn't take the dog in herself because it would be too painful to have the pet around.
The Cyrs were a devoted couple of 40 years, and "they couldn't survive without each other," said Landry, the youngest of the couple's three children.
The deaths remain under investigation.

I understand this is not directly related to the Lakes Region but thought it was a good reminder for all pet owners.
Belmont Resident (08-22-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/mass-couple-di...BeXFMdmOlg#_=_

A Massachusetts couple boating on a lake drowned after jumping into the water to rescue their dog, who survived. Police say the small dog named Sadie jumped into Hampton Ponds in Westfield on Monday night, prompting 64-year-old Donald Cyr to follow his pet into the lake.
Police told The Westfield News that he became distressed and his wife, 61-year-old Patricia Cyr, tried to rescue him.
Their daughter, Miranda Landry, told The Boston Globe that her mother jumped into the water despite not being able to swim.
"It doesn't surprise me at all," Landry said. "I know that's what she would do."
Other boaters, alerted by screams, helped pull the couple from the water. Efforts by rescue personnel failed to revive them, and both were pronounced dead at hospitals.
The dog survived and was taken to the municipal animal shelter. The couple received the West Highland white terrier as a gift from Daniel Cyr's sister six weeks ago to replace a beloved dog that died a year ago, Landry and a neighbor told The Globe.
The dog will be returned to Daniel Cyr's sister, Landry said, adding that she couldn't take the dog in herself because it would be too painful to have the pet around.
The Cyrs were a devoted couple of 40 years, and "they couldn't survive without each other," said Landry, the youngest of the couple's three children.
The deaths remain under investigation.

I understand this is not directly related to the Lakes Region but thought it was a good reminder for all pet owners.
Thanks- as a dog lover, I appreciate going in after your dog. The problem is that, all too often, the dog survives and the owners perish. RIP Cyrs
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
ITD

This is unbelievably sad.... one of the first rules of rescuing someone is that you don't put yourself in unnecessary danger. I don't mean to second guess these people, but if someone reading this thinks before jumping in to help, it just might save a life. Toss a life preserver first, put a life preserver on before you jump in to help, if you can't swim take lessons and learn. Swimming lessons should be a requirement to get a high school diploma. Finally dogs can swim instinctively, and they have much more endurance than most of us, remember that if you are ever in this situation. This is just unbelievably sad.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
NoBozo

I WONDER..HOW Many of us can't swim. I'll bet it's better than 50%. My mother was a school teacher in the 40s and she taught 100s of kids how to swim during summer camp. (In those days teachers had to get a summer job).

She was unable to teach ME to swim. I learned to swim in summer camp on Long Island (NY). The camp was eight weeks long. I missed the first week because I got the mumps. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote