Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
4Fun

Default Markers installed backwards?

I was traveling between Jolly and Bear Island this weekend and I think the red and Black markers were installed backwards. They certainly were compared to my new Bizer map.....The markers looked brand new. Maybe Bizer wis wrong??

I am talking about the ones in the center of the passage where you need to pass outside them not between.

Anyone else notice this??
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Mink Islander

Default Markers

A bit more detail please. There should be 3 marker buoys in that area. A red top near shore, a black top to the east of it and another black top adjacent to the light buoy south of the first two. Since none of the buoys were missing this spring, I suspect they are still in this correct configuration.

What does Bizer show?

As for navigation, if you just follow the rules (South & West of Red Tops and North and East of Black Tops), you'll be navigating correctly -- and yes that means you actually go between the Red Top and the shore. Too many people go between the buoys when heading north/south, thinking it's a marked channel. It's not. Those buoys are not paired SOLID color markers used for channels. Each is independent of the other two. Probably one of the most confusing spots on the lake.

The good news is that there really aren't any hazards in that area to concern any pleasure craft. So even if you do it wrong, you won't be in trouble.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
4Fun

It's the two in the middle of the passage. The red top near shore was correct. I do know from past years you don't go between the other two but I was just checking the chart to see what the hazard was and noticed the colors of the two in the middle were swapped compared to the chart. They looked new so I figured maybe they were replaced in the wrong spot.

Maybe Bizer is wrong?

I stopped and even asked my wife if I was crazy in reading this wrong and she saw the same thing.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Bear Guy

Default Confirmed

Yes 4Fun, we noted the same issue on Friday/Saturday. These are not the three markers at the southernmost tip of Bear (with FL), but the next set of three markers to the north. There is a red nearest to Jolly, which is correct. Then there are two more markers that form a line toward Bear. These should alternate colors, indicating safe passage closest to Bear, and a channel off Jolly. However, the two closest to Bear are SWAPPED, incorrectly marking the shallower area as the channel.
We notified the Marine Patrol on Friday.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
4Fun

Thanks BearGuy. I thought I was going crazy looking at the chart.

The only thing worse than a missing marker is an incorrect one!!!
Sponsored Links