Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Thoughts On Whaler

I am in the process of purchasing a second boat. It's a 1985 Boston Whaler Outrage 18' with a 150 Merc hanging off the back.

This boat will primarily be used by my wife to go back and forth between our island camp on Welch and our slip at Fays. We have a go fast tri-toon as our primary lake boat, but it can be a little tricky to dock for her in the wind. I thought this boat would be much easier to handle and because of it's open concept and center helm it would also make a good island boat to carry small stuff to the island.

The Whaler had one owner who I know well and barely used it. The motor and boat only has about 100 hours on it and was always stored properly. I plan on taking it to Daves to be fully checked out and gone through first.

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with a Whaler like this and your thoughts on it good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a second boat. It's a 1985 Boston Whaler Outrage 18' with a 150 Merc hanging off the back.

This boat will primarily be used by my wife to go back and forth between our island camp on Welch and our slip at Fays. We have a go fast tri-toon as our primary lake boat, but it can be a little tricky to dock for her in the wind. I thought this boat would be much easier to handle and because of it's open concept and center helm it would also make a good island boat to carry small stuff to the island.

The Whaler had one owner who I know well and barely used it. The motor and boat only has about 100 hours on it and was always stored properly. I plan on taking it to Daves to be fully checked out and gone through first.

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with a Whaler like this and your thoughts on it good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan
I have a 13 Dauntless as my secondary Island boat. IMO you can not go wrong with the Whaler. I have posted extensively in the past with regard to how confident I am in the Whaler in terms of safety. It has made a fantastic second boat for us for the past 3+ years now. I believe you will be very happy.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Mink Islander

Default Whaler

I have a 17 ft Montauk (83 vintage). Agree that a used Whaler is a good second boat/work boat/fishing boat. Does your's have the dodger/wind screen/bimini set up? If you think you'll be using this in foul weather you'll appreciate having some cover. Mills Canvas makes all the OEM canvas for Whaler, I believe, and they can custom make covers for you to spec for that vintage if you don't have it already.

The only other thing I'd check is the stern light pole. When I bought mine, it only had a stubby 18" one that seemed barely (if at) all legal under current law. With the dodger up, it did not give 360 degree visibility as required. I like to be seen at night! Was simple to replace with a taller one. Shep Brown's is an authorized Whaler dealer. Sold the old on on Ebay for surprisingly good $$ -- plenty of restoration work out there for older Whalers it seems.

Hope this helps.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
ishoot308

Default Thanks!

Thanks Hazelnut and Mink!

Glad to hear you had good experiences!

Mink, I believe it only has a partial bimini top, nothing that fully covers. Great info on Mills Canvas, will definitely look into getting a full cover.

Whalers seem to hold their value well especially the older ones like this.

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
fatlazyless

www.continuouswave.com infinite wisdom & opinions on older & newer Boston Whalers...more Whaler info than can be learned in a single lifetime...however, if Whalers are so good then how come the manufactorer, Brunswick Corp is doing soooo bad?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Gatto Nero

I got a 150 MONTAUK a couple of years ago and I love it. The big boat stays on the dock most of the summer but I use the Whaler daily. I also bought some extra canvas at Mills and I'm very happy with it.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
lakeforest

I own a 1986 18' Whaler Outrage that I purchased in 1991. I had to replace seat and the motor two years ago. My boat came with a Johnson 150 V-6 that gave me lots of problems and I finally put on a Honda 135 four stroke that is the best outboard I have ever had. It is so quiet, I have had it running at the dock and didn't know it was on. I have no information on the 150 Merc.

However, the boat is total quality or I would not have invested so much in a 21 year old boat. It handles well in the roughest water and will not sink even if you were to take a wave over the transom. In fact, I don't cover the boat as it has a self bailing hull and I can leave it for weeks and not worry about a failed bilge pump. You have bought a good boat and it is already a collectors boat as it was one of the last years the Whalers came with teak. Best of luck with it.
lakeforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Seeker

Only thing wrong with Whalers is the high price. You certainly cannot complain about their workmanship and built in safety items. My last one, around mid 90's I think, had blisters occur on the bottom. Whaler considers this cosmetic and would do nothing about it. I sanded then barrier coated it then painted it and no more problems. My next door neighbor still has it. I believe it was caused by sitting in shallow, warm 70 - 90 degree fresh water at my slip.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Only thing wrong with Whalers is the high price.
Yes, but I'm getting the boat, motor and trailer for $5,000.00 which I think is a steal!

Dan
Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforest View Post
I own a 1986 18' Whaler Outrage that I purchased in 1991.
Lakeforest;

Great to hear from someone who has the exact same year and model boat I am buying!! Glad to hear you like yours!
The Merc on this one has very few hours on it and has been cared for so hopefully it will last a little while.

Thanks for the great feedback!!

Dan
Old 04-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

My wife has a 150 Montauk as our 2nd island boat and we use it for most quick trips to Glendale and back when the wind is not too strong and it is not raining. She loves the boat and in general finds it easier to handle than the 23' Slickcraft.
It is fairly light so docking with a cross wind may not be as easy as with a heavier boat.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote