Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
lakefr

Default Help...GPS or digital compass?

I'm new to Lake Winnipesaukee and terribly afraid of navigating the buoys incorrectly and hitting a rock in the jet ski or boat. (They aren't mine!) I would like to have something that I could easily look at while on the jet ski. Any suggestions? Is there a GPS that can attach to a jet ski or is it better to have a compass?

Thank You!

Last edited by lakefr; 03-22-2009 at 05:40 PM.
lakefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
camp guy

Default GPS or digital compass

Welcome to the Lake ! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My first comment is that during the Boating Safety Course (which you are required to take) there will be a discussion of navigation aids and how to understand them.

Secondly, before you invest in a GPS or a compass, you need a Lake chart, and, probably, also, some local instruction about the sub-surface geography in the area you plan to do most of your boating.

Both a GPS and a compass are very helpful, but they actually serve two different functions, neither mutually exclusive of the other. Given the chance, buy both, but, if only one or the other is a choice, try to see a GPS in action before you buy one.

My last comment is that local knowledge is always helpful. Too, at night, things look differently than during the day. If this is your first go at the Lake, go slow, stay vigilent, and don't be afraid to ask other boaters what works for them.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
jetskier

Post Information

Hi lakefr,

First, a number of jetskis are equipped with a compass these days, so you might check whether that is part of the instrumentation. If you have not taken the New Hampshire Boaters Certification course, you need to. The course will teach you the basics of how to read the markers etc... In addition, it is pretty much required by law. In addition, you should note that there is now a 45 MPH speed limit.

In terms of a GPS, it is useful to generally determine where you are but you are not really going to watch it while you ride. You need to develop a general knowledge of the lake. The GPS is useful when you find yourself in a part of the lake that you do not recognize and need to determine your location for navigation purposes. I have a topographical GPS that I carry just in case I get lost or weather comes in etc...some areas do not have distinct geographic landmarks and it is possible to get turned around on the lake. If you decide that you want to invest, I can give you some advice.

If you understand the markers, the lake is actually well marked. Especially for a jetski in that it has a very shallow draw.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
jetskier

Post Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Welcome to the Lake ! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My first comment is that during the Boating Safety Course (which you are required to take) there will be a discussion of navigation aids and how to understand them.

Secondly, before you invest in a GPS or a compass, you need a Lake chart, and, probably, also, some local instruction about the sub-surface geography in the area you plan to do most of your boating.

Both a GPS and a compass are very helpful, but they actually serve two different functions, neither mutually exclusive of the other. Given the chance, buy both, but, if only one or the other is a choice, try to see a GPS in action before you buy one.

My last comment is that local knowledge is always helpful. Too, at night, things look differently than during the day. If this is your first go at the Lake, go slow, stay vigilent, and don't be afraid to ask other boaters what works for them.
I wanted to make a minor clarification to this posting. It is not legal to operate a jetski after dark.

Jetskier
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
no-engine

A chart and compass are the very FIRST pieces of navigation one should have on any body of water. I am over half century in age, and been on navigable waterways almost that long. Compass and chart!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
jeffk

I would point out that charts have dashed navigation paths for most areas that show what side of the buoys you should be on. For example when entering Center Harbor there is a dashed line showing that the black spars are on the left and red on the right. I find this a simple and highly effective way to navigate as long as I know the general direction I am heading in. If not, the compass will orient you.

Another suggestion I would make is to SLOW DOWN. I think the biggest mistake many people make is not simply taking the needed amount of time to properly orient themselves before moving ahead. If uncertain, STOP, and think it through.

Avoid the trickier spots until you are sure how to proceed or scout them out on the jet ski which has no prop to damage. It is really not that hard and there are only a handful of really hard to navigate spots.

Also, to keep from getting completely disoriented, which happens to the best of us, get in the habit of verifying the numbered buoys as you go past. Then you confirm that you are really where you thought you were.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Phantom

Welcome Lakefr --

I too echo many of the points already stated.

After re-reading your post, I gleened three key points: (1) you are on Bear Island (2) you will be in both a boat and Jet Ski (3) most importantly- they're not yours! With that in mind, a "good" compass & chart is your best first move (quality GPS's can get pricey & are difficult to read and more importanly keep dry on a Jet). Both are best when "mounted" not loose in your hand i.e.. not your craft! I would also suggest that you get the "laminated" version of the chart ....... from experiance..... it's quite tricky trying to grab the paper version and re-fold it to the area you need (even if your stopped) on a jet ski. Finally, after spotting another of your posts on the forum -- you are in a relatively easy area to navigate a lenghty ride in eithor craft. Take the time to study the map, plan your route in your mind and go out and explore. I would suggest you initially venture in the Post Office direction as opposed to FL #3 i.e. less tricky/congestion direction. If you see a neighbor, don't be bashful -- tell him your situation and perhaps he would take you on a guided tour spin (pointing out the "real" hazards). I certainly would if asked. If I have learned anything boating at Winni -- it's that "local knowledge" trumps a chart, compass, depth finder, GPS, radar ..... well you get the point!

Keep in mind -- where you go safely with the Jet .... you may not necessarliy do so with the boat.

Enjoy!!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
4Fun

Jet Skis are the best for "rock hunting" as my 4 year old calls it. We go out with the small Bizer map and find the hazards listed near the bouys. It only draws 5-6" of water so you can certainly see the rocks and avoid them if you are just going 4-5 MPH. The map is easy to use as it has the lines to show you what side to be on. If you are not sure stop and figure it out.

I find it great fun to pick a bouy on the map and find out why it's actually there. Especially fun to see all the outdrive marks on each rock Then you can navigate some pretty tricky areas in the boat with confidence.

Just watch for the Anchor Marine boat rentals. Several times I have had them come on the worng side of the bouy thinking I must be on the correct side
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
neckdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Just watch for the Anchor Marine boat rentals. Several times I have had them come on the worng side of the bouy thinking I must be on the correct side
This brings up another point. If you're unsure what direction you should be going, don't just follow the guy in front of you - check the map. It's possible the person you follow may not know where they're going either.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckdweller View Post
This brings up another point. If you're unsure what direction you should be going, don't just follow the guy in front of you - check the map. It's possible the person you follow may not know where they're going either.
Good point. 15 years ago my father followed a lobster boat and ran aground off Seabrook. He only did $27K worth of damage

Saw two people hit rocks in the graveyard last year while "rock hunting" on my Jet Ski. Fortunatly, I did not influence there direction. They were going to hit somthing with or without me there.....
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
JMR

Default GPS info

Does anyone have any experience with a GPS (preferably handheld) with a chip adding Lake Winni information for use navigating the lake?
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Lakewinn1

Post Gps

I have a GPS and find it helpfull but remember it's only a navagational tool...

My only issue is that the map does not refresh itself fast enough when my boat exceeds 30 mph ( tight in screen shots only ). You still need to understand the navigational markers even with the GPS.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
Silver Duck

lakefr

Any GPS is only as good as the cartography that it uses, so be sure to get one that will accept the Bizer chart of Winnipesaukee! So far as I'm aware, that means either Garmin or a unit that will accept C-Map chips.

As someone new to Winni, I think that a GPS will greatly enhance your enjoyment of the lake. The ability to know exactly where you are, to know where the marks should be, and to follow the built in "bread crumb trail" around the mark will be a godsend while you learn the lake and get the hang of NHs wacky Navaid system!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

The only boat I drive on Winni is a PWC.I use the Bizer chart.You should get one and study it.I have a spare that I leave at my favorite reading "throne" and read it religously even though I feel I know most of the lake very well.I feel there is no better instrument for daytime travel than a lake chart and knowledge of the marker system.But I still can become confused in some areas even understanding the markers.I stop and pull out the chart.Pay special attention to the Witches area off of Governors Island if your boating in this area.The non-navigatable area is much larger and the markers much more spaced than they look on a chart when on the water.Job one...get a Bizer chart right here from the webmaster and help support this website/forum.Happy boating.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 04-10-2009 at 07:34 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Chart required, GPS is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefr View Post
I'm new to Lake Winnipesaukee and terribly afraid of navigating the buoys incorrectly and hitting a rock in the jet ski or boat. (They aren't mine!) I would like to have something that I could easily look at while on the jet ski. Any suggestions? Is there a GPS that can attach to a jet ski or is it better to have a compass?

Thank You!
I agree that the best thing is also the easiest, in this case a lake chart. Get one and carry it with you on the PWC or in the boat. You can also muse over it when off the water. They make smaller water-proof versions that would be good for the PWC. FWIW I don't think you have too worry much about hitting rocks on the PWC. They draw so little water when on plane that you'd see the majority of rocks you'd hit before you hit them.

A mapping GPS is a more expensive option but if I were to be out at night on the boat, it's one I'd want. You can get handheld units and smaller "fixed mount" units that would fit on the PWC. With the latter be sure to get one that has an internal (built-in) antenna. The easiest route is to get one that accepts a C-MAP cartridge so you can get the chart for Winni on C-MAP. There used to be some handhelds that accepted a C-MAP cartridge but I'm not sure if they're made anymore. One potential option is to use a Garmin and hope that the chart sold for Winni works on that model. You'll have to see Bizer's website for that info. There was a recent thread on Garmin and Bizer compatibility on this site as well. One note on using auto models (like a Nuvi) on the lake ... I'm note sure how water-proof they are (unlike Garmins GPSmap 76 series). Important on the PWC, perhaps not so much on the boat. And even if you had a GPS, I'd still carry a chart (I do). Murphy's law says the batteries will die when you want to use the GPS. Better have a back-up.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
lakefr

Default Thank you

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I think a compass and a map should do for the jet ski. I found out that the boat has some sort of GPS. I just have to learn how to use it along with a map of course. Does anybody know where to find a small map of the lake? The one that I have used is quite big and a pain to pull out all the time on a jet ski.

I also think that I will ask an experienced neighbor for a guided tour of the tricky parts. I was up once last year and navigated the buoys exactly opposite! It is a good thing that the lake was high! (I have my boating license, but sometimes loose my bearings.)
lakefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
Phantom

The lake charts can be found at just about any Marina. Better yet, as you still have time before boating season, you could order a Bizer Chart through this website (thus helping support the website). I believe it's a "pay per click" set up, so simply link to the Bizer site through this site (find the Bizer logo/advertisement).

I'm glad you took my advise -- a neighbor is a good way to go. You'll be amazed at how relatively easy it is if your watching not concentrating on driving. I give you an open invitation -- If you are on the Lake for Memorial Day week-end, I would be happy to take you for a spin as well (gives me an excuse to "ride") as we routinely pass your area it would not be an inconvience. Should you decide PM me.

A final thought -- if you can't get the pass/color scheme down in your head ........ many of us use a "catch phrase" to remember ...... also, many years ago we use to have a homemade sticker taped below the compass -- with simply N E in Black letters & SW in Red letters.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #18
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Your friend BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
.... A final thought -- if you can't get the pass/color scheme down in your head ........ many of us use a "catch phrase" to remember ...... also, many years ago we use to have a homemade sticker taped below the compass -- with simply N E in Black letters & SW in Red letters.
And I'll add that old trick/phrase, remember that BEN is your friend. That is for a Black tipped marker stay East or North. Thus the red tipped is the opposite, stay West or South. There are a few places where this isn't fully adequate but for the most part it works.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #19
Island Girl

Default A chart and a GPS and lots of study

I study the chart a lot... if I am going somewhere new, I study the chart first, then venture out. I turn on the GPS only when I am comfortable with the route. The GPS tracks the route that I can use on future trips... just follow it on the GPS. This works well for night trips as well (in a boat of course). I put the handheld GPS in a ziplock bag in the little compartment in front of me in the jetski. This way if I am really lost the
GPS can tell me my location and I can then use the chart to determine my safe course home. I did enter all of the waypoints from the back of Bizer's chart into my GPS which is an old Garmin III+. It does not take Bizer's chip. Someday I will get a new GPS that takes the c-map chip. I lust after the huge GPS in the wheelhouse on the Mount Washington.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
jetskier

Post Another way to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
And I'll add that old trick/phrase, remember that BEN is your friend. That is for a Black tipped marker stay East or North. Thus the red tipped is the opposite, stay West or South. There are a few places where this isn't fully adequate but for the most part it works.

The other way to remember this (courtesy of the NH Boating Course):

Black Tip (cold) - North and East
Red Tip (hot) - South and West

Jetskier
Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
I study the chart a lot... if I am going somewhere new, I study the chart first, then venture out. I turn on the GPS only when I am comfortable with the route. The GPS tracks the route that I can use on future trips... just follow it on the GPS. This works well for night trips as well (in a boat of course). I put the handheld GPS in a ziplock bag in the little compartment in front of me in the jetski. This way if I am really lost the
GPS can tell me my location and I can then use the chart to determine my safe course home. I did enter all of the waypoints from the back of Bizer's chart into my GPS which is an old Garmin III+. It does not take Bizer's chip. Someday I will get a new GPS that takes the c-map chip. I lust after the huge GPS in the wheelhouse on the Mount Washington.

IG
Don't worry about the baggie with your GPSIII. It's waterproof. I tested mine thoroughly on a trip in NY harbor a couple years ago. 4'-5' waves and 25MPH winds up the Hudson river for 40 miles made for a very wet ride. I felt like a submarine driver for 3 hours!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #22
JMR

Default GPS-Garmin

Does anyone have a specific model of Garmin that does or does not work well on the lake? Handheld or mounted?
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
Treerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I wanted to make a minor clarification to this posting. It is not legal to operate a jetski after dark.

Jetskier
I believe the original request mentioned both Jetski AND Boat....
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote