Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
OCDACTIVE

Default towing in congested areas ??

I thought I would liven up the forum with a little discussion.

My house is up in moultonboro near suissvale. It never ceases to amaze me on how many people tow their kids through high traffic / narrow channels. I am not sure if people are just not thinking or just are weekend warriors and don't know better.

As an example, if you are not familiar with the area, if you pass Ambrose cover marina heading north, there are 6 channel markers which if two boats are passing each other it is very difficult to stay 150 ft away from each other unless you are hugging each side (even then its close) so most go to headway speed. After you pass through those you have to turn left to avoid hazards to proceed to the next bay. On weekends this is difficult without towing people.

I actually see people tow their kids through the channel and up north towards greens basin.

Now I am all for water sports and activities but IMO this is NOT the place to be towing. For one what if you have to turn around to pick someone up, not to mention the danger posed to your passengers if they happen to fall off in highly congested areas. I am just using this particular area to make a point. I have seen it happen in many many places all over the lake.

I am not going to be one of those advocates that says we need regulations stating where you can and can not tow, but I think there needs to be some common sense here.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Darwin award contestants

I know what you mean! The area by our place is quite narrow too and its like shooting fish in a barrel for the MP short on their monthly quota of 150' rule tickets. Yet, many boats go by pulling kids on tubes. And, its often very young kids. It sure looks like a disaster waiting to happen, but so far, incidents have not been serious. When the tuber falls off, traffic in both directions is disrupted for a time, with nasty gestures no doubt being exchanged. Someday, a Captain Bonehead is going to end up with an injured kid, or maybe send one to their destiny with a Darwin award.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
As an example, if you are not familiar with the area, if you pass Ambrose cover marina heading north, there are 6 channel markers which if two boats are passing each other it is very difficult to stay 150 ft away from each other unless you are hugging each side (even then its close) so most go to headway speed. After you pass through those you have to turn left to avoid hazards to proceed to the next bay. On weekends this is difficult without towing people.

I actually see people tow their kids through the channel and up north towards greens basin.
Anyone who tows in that area is just plain stupid! That area is one the most dangerous areas of the lake to navigate. Be on the wrong side of the marker heading up towards Ambrose Cove and your definitely hitting rocks, many of which are just under the surface of the water.

The area just south of there in front of Poplar island by Langley cove is a great place to water ski or tow. It's always calm and boat traffic is minimal.

I think if I ever saw someone towing in the area you mentioned, I would have to at least say something for their safety. At least then I would know that I did my part to offer a safety tip.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
hazelnut

Default Cheap Entertainement.

We sit on our lakeside patio at the Barbers Pole, between Cow Island and Tuftonboro neck and watch idiots all day long. Waterskiing, tubing, kneeboarding, etc. through that narrow channel. Cracks me up how much danger these people put their children through. I just don't get it. Why would you want to Ski in such a congested rough area. I understand the tubing part where you might want to hit waves but.... Go to the broads then..... Plenty of waves and plenty of room!!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Anyone who tows in that area is just plain stupid! That area is one the most dangerous areas of the lake to navigate. Be on the wrong side of the marker heading up towards Ambrose Cove and your definitely hitting rocks, many of which are just under the surface of the water.

The area just south of there in front of Poplar island by Langley cove is a great place to water ski or tow. It's always calm and boat traffic is minimal.

I think if I ever saw someone towing in the area you mentioned, I would have to at least say something for their safety. At least then I would know that I did my part to offer a safety tip.

Dan

Those rocks you speak up under the water in the triangle (I call it) where people don't read the chart, they just go thru the middle. My house sits right off in that cove. We sit on our dock and count how many people hit on a holiday weekend. I am too far away to flag them off by the time they hit. I personally do not go on the lake the Sat. of fourth of July weekend.. Too many crazy's out there. This at least provides my dock party with some entertainment. Last year there was 4 in one day.. I think I may sell squares for this coming year. I bet there is more since the 4th falls on a Sat. Anyone want to buy in? LOL
Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
We sit on our lakeside patio at the Barbers Pole, between Cow Island and Tuftonboro neck and watch idiots all day long. Waterskiing, tubing, kneeboarding, etc. through that narrow channel. Cracks me up how much danger these people put their children through. I just don't get it. Why would you want to Ski in such a congested rough area. I understand the tubing part where you might want to hit waves but.... Go to the broads then..... Plenty of waves and plenty of room!!!
I know that area... Some of my good friends had a house there. They sold it recently and moved to Gilford. I wonder if we have ever hung out before. I used to drive the red baja called FLY BY. You seen it hazelnut?

That area is notorious for people towing and congestion. Not to mention there are those boys and girls camps that provide for other things to look out for.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
My house is up in moultonboro near suissvale. It never ceases to amaze me on how many people tow their kids through high traffic / narrow channels. I am not sure if people are just not thinking or just are weekend warriors and don't know better.

Now I am all for water sports and activities but IMO this is NOT the place to be towing. For one what if you have to turn around to pick someone up, not to mention the danger posed to your passengers if they happen to fall off in highly congested areas. I am just using this particular area to make a point. I have seen it happen in many many places all over the lake.

I am not going to be one of those advocates that says we need regulations stating where you can and can not tow, but I think there needs to be some common sense here.
I am on the other side of Suissevalle and I know exactly what you mean. The stuff that goes on in that channel astounds me.

Frankly I think that many boaters are either idiots or have a "I'm going to do whatever the ^%$%$& I want" attitude. Two years ago I went through that area and the marine patrol had a jet ski stopped in the center of the channel. I slowed to headway, a person coming the other way slowed but was pushing a lot of wake. People behind us got impatient with us slowing down and passed us, on plane, going each way. So there were 2 lanes of traffic going each way with the MP sitting in the middle with their lights going and bouncing all over in the wake. Just plain nuts.

And yes, people towing their kids. There are places on either end of the channel where you can tube completely out of the traffic lanes. If you want bumps you can cut across your own wake. One day a tragedy will happen in that channel and everyone will be clueless as to how it occurred.

Common sense is becoming less and less common. Further, it is becoming more common if you calmly point out the dangers of such behaviors people get hostile in return. Wouldn't want their fun interrupted now would we?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks, you have me thinking good warm summer thoughts!

We are in Suissevale and know the area well. I am always shocked when I see people pulling though the Ambrose Cove channel (for lack of a better term).

I wonder how many people truly have safe boater certificates, or if they do, did they learn anything?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
NHskier

Default Dangerous!

While I'm not familiar with the area being discussed (haven't ventured up that way yet) I have seen similar situations. I believe it was last year when we saw someone pulling a tube with kids on it through the Eagle/Governors Island channel. And it was a rather busy day on the lake. Seeing people tubing in Weirs Bay is bad enough, but through the channel - yikes!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Woodsy

I have seen people tow tubes with children on them on very busy weekends through the WEIRS CHANNNEL! YIKES!!

Can you imagine the **** that would occur if god forbid the kids fell off the tube? If the kid managed somehow to avoid getting run over, certainly there would be a collision of some sort....

Just goes to show how stoopid people can be....

Woodsy
Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down And past Sandy Pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I have seen people tow tubes with children on them on very busy weekends through the WEIRS CHANNNEL! YIKES!!

Can you imagine the **** that would occur if god forbid the kids fell off the tube? If the kid managed somehow to avoid getting run over, certainly there would be a collision of some sort....

Just goes to show how stoopid people can be....

Woodsy
While noway as busy as the Eagle I channel, I watch people towing kids on tubes, wakeboards and skis down Alton Bay past where it narrows for the Sandy Pt marker. With most people opting to stay out of the no wake zone and avoiding the shoal (actually you can go right over it, no problem) the "channel" to the east side can get fairly congested at times. And with said congestion comes the wakes. Still every summer weekend I see some moron towing someone past there when they shouldn't. I believe I posted once about the tuber (child) that fell off right by the marker. The wakeboard boat following the tuber was paying attention and immediately came to a stop but was nearly rammed from behind as the Capt behind him wasn't quite as attentive. Everyone escaped unharmed but I would have had harsh words for the tuber Capt. And don't get me started on the igits who start off skiers (usually newbies from what I've seen) right there in the middle of all the traffic.

Alas todays society is defeating Darwinism and it's not a pretty sight ....
Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
Long Pine

Default Another example

I saw the same thing last year off Eagles/Governors. A boat was towing a child on a tube through the NWZ channel on a busy day but was already down to headway speed so probably figured it was "safe". The kid somehow fell off the tube in the channel, so the driver (who was going to have a tough time turning around in the channel) yells to his kid to "SWIM!" to catch up to the tube, but of course he couldn't catch up. Luckily the driver behind was alert and stopped to shield the kid from danger and allow the ignorant father to turn around and retrieve his kid, but I couldn't believe the stupidity.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote