Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Pat

Default How Many Hours on My Engine?

Does anyone know how to tell how many hours are on the engine of my boat? (In my case, it's a 1998 VIP Viva 184 i/o bowrider).

Thanks for helping a rookie!
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
camp guy

Angry Hours on engine

Maybe your boat has an 'engine hours meter' on the dashboard; if not, things don't look too good.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
NightWing

Talking

If you don't have an hourmeter on your dash..................and I presume you don't because this question wouldn't have been asked, then you might have one in the engine compartment.

The easiest way to verify it would be to contact your VIP dealer, or the factory itself. Ask if an hourmeter was available on your vintage/model boat, if so, was it standard equipment or optional, and where would it be found on your vessel.

Worst case scenario would be that you don't have one. Then, you can try and guess by the type and frequency of boating that you do. Do you boat every Saturday and/or Sunday? Every weekend all summer long or a couple of times per month? When do get your boat wet in the spring and how late in the fall do you put it up for the off season? How many hours per boating day do you think you are on the water?

With the above as a guideline, you can estimate the hours with simple math based on the numbers you plug in.

One word of advice...................I have had two boats with hourmeters. The first was in the engine compartment, mounted in such a way that it couldn't be read without a mirror. The second boat had it in the dash, as part of the speedometer. That was great because I could keep an eye on it.

I soon learned.....and this is an important factor when doing the above math..............that what we think we are running for time is actually much less. An 8 hour day on the lake will usually net only 3 or 4 hours actual engine time if we stop to anchor or stop to shop. If your boat doesn't have a head or a galley, you will spend some time for potty/food/drink breaks. This might be the case more than once a day. If you trailer your boat, there is get it wet/get it dry time to allow. You might make a fuel stop. At the end of the day, you may think you have pounded down the hours, but the hourmeter will usually surprise you. At least, that has been my experience and I have logged over 1200 engine hours on my two boats, but it took almost 12 years of boating every weekend from ice out to early November to get to that number.

I have heard that the average use of a boat is about 100 hours a season. My experience is pretty close to that. Sorry for the lengthy reply. I just got out of control
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Just another thought

If you don't find a meter back by the engine.....and it is obviously not on the dash, there is one last possibility how be it a long shot....If you have a EFI or a electornically controlled ignition where there is some processor somewhere you might be able to bring it marina and they could plug in and read a internal clock on the control module.....Like I said a long shot but maybe worth talking to your dealership or calling the MFG directly about............
Old 07-18-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
JeffreyJoyal242

Default engines

hours and rpm are the answer. it used to be 500 hours and have rebuild. it really is the the rpm ,or work load of the engine. slow goers will grt five times that amount. big news, if she makes funny noises get it checked out.
JeffreyJoyal242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #6
secondcurve

How many hours can the average 4-stroke take before it needs to be rebuilt?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
Woodsy

There is no such thing as average when it comes to boat motors. They are always under load/strain when in operation. It really boils down to maintenance and usage. Most boat motors are good for 500hrs or so, high performance motors can be considerably less than that. As a rule, I change my oil (synthetic) every 20-25 hours on both my engine and sterndrive... so far no issues. Got 350hours out of my last boat, the new one is just broken in with 100 hours.

Woodsy
Old 07-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
secondcurve

Woodsy:

I hope that a properly cared for 4-stroke is good for more than 500 hours! God, I'll go broke if it isn't!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Cal

Most Merc non high performance engine , with the least bit of care should go 1000 hours with ease. High performance will be a lesser amount depending how hard you beat on them
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Engines are just like people. It's not the age, it's the condition. What's bad for engines is lack of use, and obvious things like never changing the oil or not using enough two-stroke oil. The $5.50 synthetics like Amsoil or Mobil One do a better job than the 1.09 Wal-Mart oil, Amen!

Mystery Oil in the gasoline is excellent for four stroke outboards and inboards and no good for two-stroke outboards but does not mix well with synthetic oils. Don't know why but was told that by a small engine repair expert. TechRon carb & injector cleaner, made by Chevron and very pricey, is great for cleaning out injectors, carburetors and gasoline filters and increases mileage.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #11
jceria

Default Wot

One thing for sure.....
Constantly running at WOT (wide open throttle) will cut the enging life in half.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
depending how hard you beat on them

That is about the long and short of it as Cal says. I have a 30 year old outboard that just last year keeled over and died.....I have no idea how many hours but in the nieghborhood of 50 hours a year tells me better then 1500 hrs. and certianly it was not as powerful as it was in its youth but it still ran strong. Two things I think help as others have said proper maitanence, and not having a boat that is under powered. If the boat isn't powered properly you going to work the engine harder....and believe me there are a lot of under powered boats out there........... a second boat I know of (my uncles) had easily over 1000 hours on it and after a new carb. was put on ran the best it ever had...............
Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
Dave R

Stress on the engine increases with the square of engine speed so running it at 5000 RPM creats 4 times the stress as 2500 RPM. I tend to stay under 3200 RPM with my engine as I've heard they last a long time that way.

The amount of hours on an engine are vastly less important than the condition of the engine. Passing a compression (or better yet a leak down) test and proven reliability are better indicators of the engine's expected performance and longevity.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #14
secondcurve

Dave:

Thanks. I've been running my motor around 3800-4000 RPMs. I'll slow down a bit. I'm sure this advice will be as good as the advice you gave me on the chart plotter. It works great by the way.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #15
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
If you don't find a meter back by the engine.....and it is obviously not on the dash, there is one last possibility how be it a long shot....If you have a EFI or a electornically controlled ignition where there is some processor somewhere you might be able to bring it marina and they could plug in and read a internal clock on the control module.....Like I said a long shot but maybe worth talking to your dealership or calling the MFG directly about............
Actually not along shot, engines with EFI do have modules with the hrs recorded. Some even have a record of codes indicated in the chips history such as overheated or low oil, even % of time run at different RPM ranges. Most certified mechanics can accsess this with a diagnostic check readout. Handy info.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Dave:

Thanks. I've been running my motor around 3800-4000 RPMs. I'll slow down a bit. I'm sure this advice will be as good as the advice you gave me on the chart plotter. It works great by the way.
My 3200 RPM rule was specific to the 7.4 MPI Mercruiser in my boat and is mostly due to the long stroke of the engine and utterly stock, GM-sourced, reciprocating mass. My redline is only 4600 RPM. Mercruiser also sold a different 7.4 liter engine, (the 454 MAG) that could be run at (or under) 3600 RPM for excellent longevity. It had a 5000 RPM redline, if memory serves. Merc beefed up much of the reciprocating mass in that engine to handle higher piston speeds. My point is that different engines are going to have different cruising RPM recommendations and 3200 RPM is not necessarily for all engines.

If memory serves, you have an outboard powered rig. 4000 RPM may be a perfectly acceptable (perhaps even low) operating RPM for you.

Glad to hear the chart plotter and Bizer C-map chart are working out well. I love having them aboard my own boat.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #17
NightWing

When selecting an optimal RPM for sustained cruising, it is best to stay in a range where the boat is "on the step", with the least amount of wetted hull. Every boat has a planing speed that acomplishes the above. (Not including displacement hulls.) That speed is also when the powerplant is not working quite as hard. Once the boat is planed out with trim tabs and outdrive angle at efficient positions, the fuel efficiency is probably as good as you will get. Any more speed will just increase fuel consumption and engine wear.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing
When selecting an optimal RPM for sustained cruising, it is best to stay in a range where the boat is "on the step", with the least amount of wetted hull. Every boat has a planing speed that acomplishes the above. (Not including displacement hulls.) That speed is also when the powerplant is not working quite as hard. Once the boat is planed out with trim tabs and outdrive angle at efficient positions, the fuel efficiency is probably as good as you will get. Any more speed will just increase fuel consumption and engine wear.
This is good advice. Some boats are so underpowered that this optimum hull efficiency speed can only be reached by really reving the heck out of the engine. Not a good thing for longevity.

Ideally, the optimum hull efficiency speed should fall close to the torque peak RPM of the engine, not the HP peak RPM. The torque peak of the engine is right where it has the best volumetric efficiency which means the intake system is operating at it's best at that engine speed and pumping losses are minimized.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #19
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
This is good advice. Some boats are so underpowered that this optimum hull efficiency speed can only be reached by really reving the heck out of the engine. Not a good thing for longevity.

Ideally, the optimum hull efficiency speed should fall close to the torque peak RPM of the engine, not the HP peak RPM. The torque peak of the engine is right where it has the best volumetric efficiency which means the intake system is operating at it's best at that engine speed and pumping losses are minimized.
That is a perfect example of why the selling dealer should prop the boat correctly. Ideally, WOT RPM should reach the engine manufacturer's spec with the boat geared for use.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Engines are just like people. It's not the age, it's the condition. What's bad for engines is lack of use, and obvious things like never changing the oil or not using enough two-stroke oil. The $5.50 synthetics like Amsoil or Mobil One do a better job than the 1.09 Wal-Mart oil, Amen!

Mystery Oil in the gasoline is excellent for four stroke outboards and inboards and no good for two-stroke outboards but does not mix well with synthetic oils. Don't know why but was told that by a small engine repair expert. TechRon carb & injector cleaner, made by Chevron and very pricey, is great for cleaning out injectors, carburetors and gasoline filters and increases mileage.

Be SURE to check with the manufacturer before using synthetic oil in marine applications! I use Mobile 1 synthetic in everything I own with an engine except for the boat. I did some research on line and found out that Mercruiser (stern drives) very clearly state NOT to use synthetic or multi-weight oil. They do not specify why, but I found this which gives a pretty interesting reason why this is:

More recently, I have noticed that engines with roller lifters used in the pleasure-boat environment have exhibited undesirable wear patterns when synthetic oil is used. Specifically, because the oil is more "slippery," it appears that the rollers are sliding on the cam instead of rolling. This results in flat spots on the rollers and increased wear on the cam lobe. This problem only seems to present itself with lower valve-spring tension applications typically used with hydraulic roller cams. In race applications, with solid roller setups where 250 or more pounds of spring pressure exists when the valve is on the seat, there seems to be enough pressure to keep the roller on the lifter rolling on the cam instead of sliding.

Depending on your climate and the water temperature you typically operate your boat in, the viscosity of your oil should be selected accordingly. I believe that a straight grade SAE 40 oil is the most suitable for the majority of the performance marine engines. SAE 30 would be better for cooler climates. For extreme performance and supercharged engines, SAE 50 is suggested. Most synthetics are a multi-viscosity oil. Fuel dilution of the oil and contamination as a result of increased moisture in the crankcase seems to affect the multi-viscosity oils faster.

I've consulted more than one source to confirm not using synthetic oil or multiweight oils, so when I change the oil in the boat it's always fed SAE 40. This is by far the best explination I've seen so I thought it would be of interest. I did double check the Mercruiser web site and it shows that you can buy a synthetic blend. Normally I don't pay to much attention to manufacturer's recommendations, but when they specifically say not to do something, that tends to get my attention. Running a boat at WOT with a improperly matched prop pitch for the gear ratio can reduce engine life. It all depends on what RPM the engine is running in that condition. I personally very rarely run mine at WOT and not for very long.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #21
Weekend Pundit

Post Hour meters and synthetic oil

It is easy enough to add an hour meter, also called a Hobbes Meter by us aircraft pilot-types. There are stand-alone meters as well as those built into a tachometer.

Generally I will change the oil in the engine every 100 hours, assuming that I'm using it regularly (a few times a week), or more often if my boat is sitting idle most of the time (rarely!) or spending a lot of time motoring along at low speeds.

Fortunately for me, Volvo Penta thinks that synthetics are just fine for both my engine and stern drive. My 4.3L V6 has been run with synthetics for 13 years, still has great compression on all cylinders and the stern drive is still in great shape. About the only non-scheduled service I'm going to have to do at the end of the boating season is to rebuild the water pump...again. It's about the only part of the power train I've had any problems with.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #22
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit
It is easy enough to add an hour meter, also called a Hobbes Meter by us aircraft pilot-types. There are stand-alone meters as well as those built into a tachometer.

Generally I will change the oil in the engine every 100 hours, assuming that I'm using it regularly (a few times a week), or more often if my boat is sitting idle most of the time (rarely!) or spending a lot of time motoring along at low speeds.

Fortunately for me, Volvo Penta thinks that synthetics are just fine for both my engine and stern drive. My 4.3L V6 has been run with synthetics for 13 years, still has great compression on all cylinders and the stern drive is still in great shape. About the only non-scheduled service I'm going to have to do at the end of the boating season is to rebuild the water pump...again. It's about the only part of the power train I've had any problems with.
and since VP and Merc use the exact same engines... I've been using Mobil 1 in all my engines, icluding those with roller cams, for years and years and the stuff is just fine. It's no more slippery than regular oil, it just has longer molecular chains that don't break down as easily as regular oil under shear stresses so it holds it's viscosity longer. It also flows better when cold and handles heat better. I run 5w-40 gold cap (the 15,000 mile change interval stuff) in my boat now.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #23
NightWing

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but it evolved into a discussion about lubricants. Below is the Mercury link that discusses fuels and lubricants.

One item of importance in the oil section is a note saying not to use oils with solids in them. I know of one highly rated synthetic, special order in most places, that has molybdenum as an additive. Moly is an excellent lubricant but it is a solid and can "break out" of suspension under certain circumstances.

I have a new truck that I am running synthetic in and I chose a different brand that didn't have moly in it. Still special order, though.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/fueloil...mendation_faqs