Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
DTBC

Default Ethanol in gasoline

I know they have started putting ethanol in gasoline in Massachusetts, is it the gasoline in New Hampshire also. Thank you for any responses.
DTBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTBC
I know they have started putting ethanol in gasoline in Massachusetts, is it the gasoline in New Hampshire also. Thank you for any responses.

depends on where they are buying the gas out of. If you notice there is a big difference in price of fuel from the lakes region to the southern area, somewhere around 15-20 cents a gallon, I believe that's based on where the gas comed from. southern stations are buying gas out of Revere which is ethanol blended but I found out from my marina in Ossipee they are buying out of Portland which is not ethanol blended yet which makes me believe thats probably why the gas staions up there are also much cheaper. While I understand MTBE needed to be removed the only one that benefits from ethanol is a corn farmer. It's less effecient, destroys fuel systems and isn't a potential replacement for foreign oil no matter what the farm lobby says.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
islandAl

Default think I saw ethonal in Moultonboro

I could be mistaken but at the stations I have used in Moultonboro, the sticker on the pump stated 10% alcohol. No mention of MTBE.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Airwaves

Be very careful about fueling your boat with 10% ethanol!

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fueltest.asp

http://www.boatus.com/news/e10_0706.htm
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
66WINN

Default Ethanol & Fiberglass don't mix

I read those articles and was alarmed at the risk it presents to older boats with fiberglass gas tanks. How many boats have these type of tanks? I also wonder if this research has been independantly verified. It also appears ethanol is not good for two stroke engines. I would think this topic should be a big concern for many boaters on our lake. Has anyone else read anything about this?
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
jrc

If not already, within the next few months you will have to use gas with ethanol at 10%. The fuel companies have unlimited lawsuit liabilty with MTBE and they get a tax break with ethanol. They will all switch.

From what I've read, there are two huge safety issues, boats with fiberglass fuel tanks and older boats with old fuel lines. Everyone else has to worry about water in the fuel and how that will react with the ethanol. Do some searching on boating sites, it's a popular subject.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Ethanol burns hotter

I read in PowerBoat magazine that Ethanol blended gasoline burns hotter. There may be a potential for failing exhaust valves and or seats.
I recently had a major maintenance service on my car. The dealer rep informed me that they will be 'remapping' the engine control module for the new formula. I notice better gas mileage and an apparent lag in the engine when I accelerate rapidly.
Then, I checked with the local Mercruiser dealer and he said there is a tech bulletin from the factory on that subject. He can't recall what they are doing about it.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
searay220

Default Ethanol and Fiberglass don't mix

I can't belive this has not become a bigger issue than it has. Talking with a friend of mine from Quincy Ma this is a huge issue because of the number of boats in the area with fiberglass fuel tanks. I'm told that the ethanol in the fuel eats away at the fiberglass tanks and doing serious damage to boats. And correct me if I'm wrong but gas stations underground fuel tanks are made of fiberglass at least the outer shell of the tank is. Could anyone share more information on this subject. Thanks
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Lakegeezer

Default No more than 10% please

The instructions for the 2006 Merc 6HP engine I just purchased recommends against ethanol, and specifies extra maintenance checks if you have to use it. It clearly says, do not use more than 10% ethanol.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
Mboro_Bill

Default Found on Melvin Village Marina site - FWIW

I just happened to run across this message on the Melvin Village Marina web site recently about ethanol in gas:
http://www.melvinvillagemarina.com/events/index.cfm

It states:
As many of you are aware ethanol will shortly be replacing MBTE as an additive in fuel. Our supplier has told us we will not be receiving gas with ethanol. It should only effect the southern 4 counties in the state. Our gas pumps will continue to supply your boats with additive free gas.

I assume this means all gas pumps except those 4 southern counties will NOT contain ethanol... I have not seen any ethanol stickers even at gas stations in the Meredith, Moultonboro, Center Harbor areas yet.
Mboro_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
William_Philipp

Default Ethenol dangerous

Ethanol is dangerous if your engine isnt capable of supporting it.
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #12
chase1

Check out the new this product found on MDR's New Products Page.

"E-Zorb" (MDR-574)

Marine Development & Research Corp.
2116 Merrick Ave Merrick, NY 11566 Phone 516-546-1162
http://www.mdramazon.com/

Chase1
chase1 is offline   Reply With Quote