Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Quilt Lady

Default Spring Has Come!!!

One of the sure signs of spring is nest building. I have been watching a lady mink work at building a nest since I got up this morning. Every five minutes (on average) she goes out to the edge of the ice and dives. Shortly thereafter, she pops back up with weeds in her mouth. She swims into the crib dock and ripples can be seen under the boathouse as she must be moving around. When the ripples stop, she heads back to the edge of the ice. I would think she would be tired by now but the urge to build a nest must be stronger than fatigue.

And some people think there is nothing to do at the lake during the winter. All you have to do is open your eyes and you'll see plenty of interesting things.

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Quilt Lady For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-06-2013), jetlag100 (03-05-2013), Just Sold (03-05-2013), mcdude (03-07-2013), Slickcraft (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
jetlag100

I had seen an article about how the Hummingbirds will make an early return this year. I am watching for spring thing, too! Thanks for sharing
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Gearhead

There's a red maple about to bloom in Hooksett by Robie's store. I almost took a picture of it today.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady View Post
One of the sure signs of spring is nest building. I have been watching a lady mink work at building a nest since I got up this morning. Every five minutes (on average) she goes out to the edge of the ice and dives. Shortly thereafter, she pops back up with weeds in her mouth. She swims into the crib dock and ripples can be seen under the boathouse as she must be moving around. When the ripples stop, she heads back to the edge of the ice. I would think she would be tired by now but the urge to build a nest must be stronger than fatigue.

And some people think there is nothing to do at the lake during the winter. All you have to do is open your eyes and you'll see plenty of interesting things.
Coming home tonight I stopped to look at a job just off Meredith Neck. As I left and was coming up to the lights a mink or weasel (it looked just like a ferret) ran from the lake across the road towards the light blue condos.
It was close enough that I had to brake to avoid it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady View Post

That sounds wonderful to watch. I would love to watch and get some pics of something like that. I am not right on the water so it makes it hard to see those wonderful things.
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Thanks for Sharing!

I hope that you can snap a picture for us to enjoy! Thanks for the smile.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Going to get a rude awakening though. Temps are supposed to drop again later this week. I hope she is building a warm nest. Maybe one with a small wood stove in it....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote