Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default Wolf Ambassador Program

Did anyone go to see this 2 weeks ago? It was held on October 13th. - Holderness, NH - Squam Lake Science Center and at 1:30PM/Holderness School 3:30PM. The reason I ask is I will be going tonight in my home town and wondered what I can expect.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Quilt Lady

Default It will be interesting . . .

A couple of our neighbors went to the program in Holderness and thought it was very interesting. How many times in your lifetime will you be among the wolves AND survive. They said they were instructed on how to behave while the wolves moved among the people. Since there is a long history between man and wolf, you must have been a bit apprehensive.

Give us some details of the program and your impressions . . . since we know the wolf will return someday, like the cougar and lynx.

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Pineedles

Default Great Experience

You're right, the folks instructed us to maintain eye contact with the wolves if they came up to us, unfortunately I was in the second row and didn't get a "greeting". They told us that if they liked us they would put their nose right into our faces and that we shouldn't turn away. It's their way of greeting you. Although they looked big, particualrly the black colored one they were only 85-120 lbs. They brought some stuffed animals out which were shredded in seconds to show how strong their jaws were. The 3 wolves that were brought out all came from cages, people who thought they could take care of them but obviously could not. All the wolves in the sanctuary will live out their lives under care for life, none will be allowed to breed or set loose.

The folks running the sanctuary were very informative, and gave us a fact based talk. Wolves will be back in New England eventually, and with it a more balanced eco system will follow. Don't like coyotes? Wolves keep them under control. They used to roam all over the US, and they are coming back.
I've include a couple of pictures. If you have the opportunity, go see them. It is amazing.

www.missionwolf.com/page/ambassador-wolves
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
NickNH

Looks like a great program.....I love wolves. There's a place in Ipswich, MA I want to go to sometime.....Wolf Hollow I think....but I don't think you can get that close to them.
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Pineedles

Exactly my sentiment. When will you get this close to wolves? I was mesmerized.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
NickNH (10-29-2012)
Sponsored Links