Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
hilltopper

Default What's your guess? Any more frosts?

So, has anyone put in their tomatoes and cucumbers and other "warm weather" plants yet? If I remember correctly we had an early June frost last year but the extended forecast has me wondering if we've already seen our last frost this Spring? Any guesses?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Natt

Default Waiting

We are waiting on the warm weather crops. If you put them in too soon, it can stunt their growth even if there is no frost. Happened to us one year...squash plants just sat there looking small and insignificant. So, we had to replant direct in the ground from seed, and they went way past the first ones in size and production. Yanked the others out to make room for the new.

That said, it is a warmer year. I'm thinking of putting the tomatoes in after this rain tonite, like maybe on Thursday.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default waiting as well

I have the tomato and pepper sets in hand but will wait until about the 24th. If the long range forecast is then good they go into the ground then, if not; wait it out. Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Silver Queen corn and cuke seeds wait as well.

Kennebec potatoes and lettuce sets go in this week, new potatoes for the 4th of July.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

After last year, I'm holding off for at least another week for most of the garden.

I did put the beans, beets and peas seeds in. I also set up a couple of those "Topsy Turvy" tomatoes just for fun.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
hilltopper

Alright, you talked me into holding off at least another week.

I'm going to do some upside down tomatoe plants also...probably cherry tomatoes. Might try this method on hot peppers also. SteveA, did you make your own or purchase one? I'm going to make my own and I see a lot of online directions using 5 gallon buckets. That seems like overkill to me so I may use something smaller. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Lucky1

I think that I must have a black thumb. I have tried a small garden several times and each time I do plant things, a whitish something attacks them. What that does not kill, the critters eat? What am I doing wrong. What is the whitish killer and how do you keep the critters out? I have had great luck with zucchini but there is only so much of that one wants. Thanks for any help although my gardening days may be over.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I think that I must have a black thumb. I have tried a small garden several times and each time I do plant things, a whitish something attacks them. What that does not kill, the critters eat? What am I doing wrong. What is the whitish killer and how do you keep the critters out? I have had great luck with zucchini but there is only so much of that one wants. Thanks for any help although my gardening days may be over.
I'm not sure about the white stuff you're referring to (I think I had it on my squash and zucchini leaves last year), but I had to fence my garden in order to keep the deer out. I mean, legally I can only shoot so many per year so other solutions had to be used.
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (05-20-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I planted the seeds in my garden last weekend and hope to plant the tomatoes this weekend. Until this year, I always have started tomato seeds but ended up with a hundred or two hundred tomato plants and didn't know what to do with them all. I did the upside down tomatoes a couple of years ago using paint buckets which I painted black and LOVED the results! When we had our deck repaired the builder put the lattice work on, enclosing my stored buckets under the deck. For a while I couldn't figure out what in heck I did with them. I didn't bother making new ones partly because I didn't really have a good place in the sun to hang them. So this year, I bought some of the black iron poles and the topsy turvy containers and will try them.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
CrawfordCentury

The Abenaki planted when the leaf of the ash tree is the size of a mouse's ear.

Did an unscientific comparison using the ash in the yard and the ears on a critter that's been evading the ketteh. (Wife feeds it too much, no incentive).

If ancient Indian lore's any guide, I predict no.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Natt

Default early garden stuff

There are quite a few garden items that can be planted early, and are not affected by frost. I planted spinach and lettuce during that warm spell in late March and we are now eating them. Also radishes. But most years I wait until April to start planting lettuce and spinach. Peas can go in on 'tax day' (4/15), I have always planted peas then with good results. Last year was so cool, my peas lasted until late July. Lettuce can also be planted in the fall.
And as a side note, cucumbers are sensitive to length of day, so even in a warm fall, they die out and stop producing. Parsnips take 3 weeks to germinate!!! and are to go in mid spring. Mine are just up, very tiny.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Nagigator

Smile great time of the year

My carrots, beets, scallions, parsley and lettuce, planted in April are coming along. Bought most of the tender plants today, and I'll harden them off in the yard for a week or so, before putting them in. Looks to me like we are past any more frosts, but the rule of thumb is to wait for the full moon of May, this year the 27th.
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
chipj29

Anyone ever grown onions? I was at HD last night and saw the bulbs. They were cheap, and I love onions, so I thought I would give it a shot. Any suggestions on location (sun vs shade) etc?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I did the upside down tomatoes a couple of years ago using paint buckets which I painted black and LOVED the results!
Tis, Thanks for the info. Are you talking the 5 quart paint buckets? What did you use for a top to the bucket (the 5 quart buckets do not come with tops, I believe)?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I used the 5 gallon buckets but they were big. I think the 5qt. might be better. You don't need so much soil. And the topsy turvy things I just bought are much smaller than what I used. But they worked so what the heck. I don't think it matters much. Whatever you can find--- I didn't use any top for them. I really loved them and missed them last year. I actually thought they were a lot easier and you don't need stakes and or cages to hold up the tomatoes! Now I have the posts, I have a place to hang them . I am going to plant them this weekend. I actually have three in the house now in big pots which I will move outside and I have a few in bottles of water which broke off from those and have grown roots. It will be interesting to see how they will transplant. I love trying stuff like that. Watch them for those darn tomato worms though. One day they are doing great and the next your plants are being eaten by them! They are so ugly and awful!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote