Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
EllyPoinster

Default Dock Jack

Anyone know where I could find one of these? I watched it being used in an aluminum dock installation last year. I need to replace a couple of broken 4x4 supports on my dock and this looks like it would be a big help.
Attached Images

EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
jmen24

What you are looking at is a long leg house jack with a cradle on top instead of a plate. If you come across one of these let me know, we have been looking for quite some time. I know of some older ones, but last I checked they were still not for sale.

You can do the same thing with a hydraulic bottle jack and a 4x4 cut to the remaining length. Use the jack above water with the post going into the soil below it, that way you do not need to go underwater to release the pressure. You could put the jack underwater as they are sealed units, just wipe it down when you are done. Just remember when jacking any heavy object, keep things as plumb as possible to keep from shifting things around.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Boat Doc

The boys from Watermark repaired the crib dock next door and used a similar arrangement, but it was more like a long piece of pipe with a foot. They stood the pipe straight up in the water and put a come-a-long in the top of the pipe then wrapped a piece of chain around the dock frame connected to the hook end. A few clicks and the dock frame lifted-up a bit so they could work on the top of the crib. I think they use the same poles for adjusting pipe docks. They might sell them or the welding shop in the same building could probably make you one. Good luck.
Boat Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Not Exactly, but Close I think

Would any of these jacks suit your needs?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-12-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
EllyPoinster

Default Clarification

There is a long screw inside the tube that can be extended, under weight, by turning the horizontal handle. This cradle at the top of the screw can be raised from about 4.5 to 7 feet. Also, the bottom plate can be removed if necessary depending on the lake bottom conditions.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
dan

Default This looks like it

http://www.asedeals.com/high_jack_stands.html
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
ApS

Cool Alternate + Cheaper Suggestion...

I mentioned a "farm jack" here back in 2007.

Since then, I've actually enjoyed the farm jack s-o-o-o much, now I own three of 'em!

In 2007, I used one to simultaneously lift the dock and push the piling back under a supporting 6X8 cross member. (Winter ice floes caused three pilings to slip off their supports).

With a 3½-ton capacity—and at $49 from Harbor Freight—you can still have it handy when you need to move anything-else that's big.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
HD_Dude (08-30-2011), VitaBene (09-14-2011)
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
RLW

Just go to your local HD, Lowes or lumber yard and get a adjustable lally column and use it for far less $$$$$$. They are quick and very easy to use.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Just go to your local HD, Lowes or lumber yard and get a adjustable lally column and use it for far less $$$$$$. They are quick and very easy to use.
I actually have an adjustable lally column already. They work fine if you only have to raise the dock six inches or less. If you need to go higher, you have to stop, prop and reset every six inches. The jack in the picture above can lift over 3 feet in a single set-up.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
I actually have an adjustable lally column already. They work fine if you only have to raise the dock six inches or less. If you need to go higher, you have to stop, prop and reset every six inches. The jack in the picture above can lift over 3 feet in a single set-up.
You are right there, but you'll have to rent it out to get you're money back as they are not cheap. For a one or 2 times that it will get used, (hopefully) it would be easy enough to block it a couple times with a couple 2X studs.

Last edited by RLW; 04-13-2010 at 02:39 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
What you are looking at is a long leg house jack with a cradle on top instead of a plate. If you come across one of these let me know, we have been looking for quite some time. I know of some older ones, but last I checked they were still not for sale.

You can do the same thing with a hydraulic bottle jack and a 4x4 cut to the remaining length. Use the jack above water with the post going into the soil below it, that way you do not need to go underwater to release the pressure. You could put the jack underwater as they are sealed units, just wipe it down when you are done. Just remember when jacking any heavy object, keep things as plumb as possible to keep from shifting things around.
I was able to reconnect with the folks who had the jack and they have ordered one for me for $120. If you are interested, contact Ryan Croteau at Lakeshore Property Maintenance (http://lakeshorepropertymaintenance.com/home). Straightening and leveling the dock is pretty much an annual event and this jack is going to make the job much easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to EllyPoinster For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (04-16-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
The Real BigGuy

Default Dock Jack

The stand in the first picture is called an "underhoist stand" and is used in garages for things like holding up transmissions or exhaust systems when being repaired on a garage lift or hoist - hence the name.

You can buy them for about $100 from various internet sites. A simple search for "underhoist stand" will bring up pages of sites.

Good luck!
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
HD_Dude

Default Thank you for the Farm Jack suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I mentioned a "farm jack" here back in 2007.

Since then, I've actually enjoyed the farm jack s-o-o-o much, now I own three of 'em!

In 2007, I used one to simultaneously lift the dock and push the piling back under a supporting 6X8 cross member. (Winter ice floes caused three pilings to slip off their supports).

With a 3½-ton capacity—and at $49 from Harbor Freight—you can still have it handy when you need to move anything-else that's big.
Sir, I owe you a great big thank you!

Hurricane Irene poured 10 inches of water in 3 hours into my lake in the Berkshires, and created total chaos.

The flooded lake picked up my 12' X 8' dock, and started to float it away. I secured it with steel cables, and kept it close to my shore.

Of course, when the water receded, I had a 1/2 ton dock to reposition and stabilize.

Considering all the rocks and uneven surface on the lake bottom, I took all the dock's legs off to float it into its proper position, using my steel cables to keep it in place. Then I had to figure out how to lift it, and re-attach the legs.

So I Googled 'dock jacks' and found your post. It was exactly what I was looking for! But until I read your post, I didn't know farm jacks existed.

I thought, this fellow knows what he's talking about.

Bought 2 at Tractor Supply, and went to work. 2 1/2 hours later, my dock was perfectly positioned, level and every leg was plumb straight !

Thank you! You saved me time, money and a broken back.

If you're ever in Massachusetts, dinner is on me!
HD_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HD_Dude For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-12-2011), secondcurve (09-11-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
meredith weekender

The FARM JACK is awesome!!!!!! Bought one back in 2005 and absolutely love it. With this jack, one person can adjust and level a dock by themselves.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Kamper

I used to set-up a wooden dock that was mounted on pipe. I used 3 2X4's. One of them I cut in half and drilled a hole in the center of each piece. The other 2, I drilled holes 2 inches apart for almost the full length. I ran long carriage bolts through the back of the short pieces and used them as cross pieces.

This may not be as precise as the jacks above but it is pretty simple. Put the butt of the uprights, at an angle, into the bottom and the cross pieces under the deck edge. Push the uprights vertical and drop the pipes into place. You may need to make some adjustments but one of these units will hold the weight long enough to move from side-to-side. They will also take the weight while you drive or wash the pipes into place.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Lots of uses

When I was stationed in Alaska, almost everyone I knew that ventured out onto the tundra hunting or getting to a lake had one or more of these jacks with them. Not only could you jack up the vehicle, you could also use it as a come-a-long to pull yourself out of a mudhole.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
Anyone know where I could find one of these? I watched it being used in an aluminum dock installation last year. I need to replace a couple of broken 4x4 supports on my dock and this looks like it would be a big help.
Any place to RENT one of these?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
ApS

Wink Wish I'd invented it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post
Sir, I owe you a great big thank you!
Aw, shucks... I try to communicate my decades of experience around lake issues—including repairs from the immense pressures of ice.

1) Recently, I found that it's nearly impossible to overreach the farm jack's capacity. When pressed beyond 3½-tons, the jack simply binds-up and you will be unable to raise the object any further. Afterwards, the jack lowers just fine.

2) A handy item not seen with the Harbor Freight version is a second "jaw"—designed for the very top. The farm jack can then be used as a very powerful vise.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
ApS

Exclamation Unlikely Item at Yard Sales—They're too Handy!

With dock-repair barges still very busy on the lake, this week is a good time for Harbor Freight to have a sale on Farm Jacks. I have three of them, in three different county locations.

(No sales tax for online purchases in New Hampshire).

Attached Images