Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
jeffk

Default New Hampshire Classroom Course for Boating Education

My wife is planning to sign up for one of the courses this summer. Am I correct in understanding that at the end of the day long class they take the test, are issued their temporary certificate, and then mailed their permanent card?

At first I thought they took the all day course and then had to sign up for the test separately but that seems not the case.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Correct as per our experience several years ago. Test at end of the class, got temp ctk, final in mail.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
jeffk (06-02-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

After attending the course or taking it online you have to take a Proctored Exam:

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire...component.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Slickcraft

The classroom course sign-up states successful completion gets a 45 day temp and final will be mailed. The OP did ask about the classroom course.
https://register-ed.com/events/view/79481

Quote:
Overview

The New Hampshire Classroom Course covers a variety of topics including boat navigation, boating safety equipment, invasive aquatic species and laws and rules. This instructor-led class incorporates a range of learning methods consisting of lecture, videos, and student discussion.
Certification Cards

Upon successful completion of the course, students will leave with a boating certificate which is valid for 45 days. The permanent certificate card will be automatically mailed to the student’s address entered at the time of registration.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Barney Bear

Default Boating Education Course

Mrs. Bear and I took the daylong course at our local fire station in southern NH in February 2008. Started at about 9:00 AM and ended about 2:00 PM. We took the proctored exam for the next hour.

Before this day, we studied for the exam using books designed for this exam. One could also study the same material online. 🎓 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
jeffk (05-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
NoBozo

In Rhode Island, I called DEM..or whoever it was , and they sent me PREP Material, books and pamphlets, in the mail which I studied at home Off and On until the Proctored Exam a month later.

I also went on line and took sample exams. Every time you took a sample exam..and then took it again..there would be a whole new exam with shuffled questions..and new questions.

When I went for the Proctored Exam, there were probably 50 people at long tables taking the exam...Elbow to elbow. It took me no more than 20 minutes to go through the questions TWICE..and I was done. The plastic (Credit Card Like) certificate came in the mail a couple of weeks later. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Dad sold the C * C

My Wife and a friend took the day long course at Winnisquam marine last august and walked out with the temp license and the officical one arrive the week we pulled the boat out.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Winnisquamer

The day course in my opinion is honestly the easiest route to go.. The online stuff is cool you can do it at your leisure but you end up taking 2 tests and have to go to concord for it.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
The day course in my opinion is honestly the easiest route to go.. The online stuff is cool you can do it at your leisure but you end up taking 2 tests and have to go to concord for it.
Yes and no, they schedule test all over the state for online participants. Took my final in Nashua.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
NoBozo

When I took the online practice tests in Rhode Island..those tests were anonymous. They were just tests intended to make you more proficient in answering the questions on the Proctored tests.

BTW: The Certificate I received in RI was the same Certificate required in NH: "National Association of State Boating Law Administrators." (NASBLA)

For those not familiar with the term Proctored. That is a college term for exams, ..where someone is wandering around during the exam looking over your shoulder making sure you are not cheating. NB

PS: In Rhode Island, schooling yourself...and then taking the "Proctored" exam was called the CHALLENGE EXAM. The exam was scheduled every two weeks throughout the summer.

Upon successful passing of the exam...you receive a Certificate of Completion of the course, and passing the exam. This is NOT a License..

Last edited by NoBozo; 05-30-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Mrs. Bear and I took the daylong course at our local fire station in southern NH in February 2008. Started at about 9:00 AM and ended about 2:00 PM. We took the proctored exam for the next hour.

Before this day, we studied for the exam using books designed for this exam. One could also study the same material online. 🎓 🐻
This seems to answer my question, the day course ends with a proctored exam, which, if you pass, gets you your certificate.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 AM   #12
Winnisquamer

For the record if you do not pass please stay away from me on the lake it was honestly one of the easiest test I've ever taken after sitting through eight hours of a guy telling you what the answers were.. Just my .002
Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #13
Knomad

Everyone 16 years of age and older who operates a motorboat over 25 horsepower on New Hampshire waters must have a boating education certificate.
New Hampshire accepts the following boating education certificates:
1.A boating certificate issued by another State agency and NASBLA approved.
2.A boating certificate issued by the US Power Squadron.
3.A boating certificate issued by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary.
4.An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the US Coast Guard.
5.An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the State of New Hampshire.

Both the Classroom Courses and the Proctored Exams are offered at a number of locations around the state.

Most of the Classroom courses are on Saturdays from 9:00 - 4:30 and they fill up fast. The State proctored examination is included with the classroom course and is given during the last hour of the class. If you pass, you will receive a temporary certificate good for 45 days. Your permanent certificate will be sent to you in the mail.
Registration for the Classroom Course is now on-line at:
https://register-ed.com/programs/newhampshire/174

If you prefer to take the online course go to:
https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire/

Upon successful completion of the online course, you must register and successfully pass a proctored exam before receiving your certificate. After completing your course online, register online for your proctored exam:
https://register-ed.com/programs/newhampshire/175
Most of the Proctored Exams are on Friday evenings starting at 4:00 or 5:00.

Persons between the age of 15 and 16 may also take the course or exam but will not receive their certificate until their 16th birthday.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
persistence

Hi, can someone tell me if the NH class / test is geared for more for the lake and navigation? Looking to have a 15 year old take it, but she may also take a CG aux power squadron class in MA. As I understand it, that would allow her to take the NH exam, or be reciprocal to NH. But I'm wondering if there is Lake info in the class that she would be better off with. And if so, she may wind up doing both

thx
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by persistence View Post
Hi, can someone tell me if the NH class / test is geared for more for the lake and navigation? Looking to have a 15 year old take it, but she may also take a CG aux power squadron class in MA. As I understand it, that would allow her to take the NH exam, or be reciprocal to NH. But I'm wondering if there is Lake info in the class that she would be better off with. And if so, she may wind up doing both

thx
The NH class will go over this state's unique way of marking nav hazards and NH specific laws.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-02-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #16
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
Everyone 16 years of age and older who operates a motorboat over 25 horsepower on New Hampshire waters must have a boating education certificate.
1.A boating certificate issued by another State agency and NASBLA approved.
2.A boating certificate issued by the US Power Squadron.
3.A boating certificate issued by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary.
4.An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the US Coast Guard.
5.An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the State of New Hampshire.

Both the Classroom Courses and the Proctored Exams are offered at a number of locations around the state.

Most of the Classroom courses are on Saturdays from 9:00 - 4:30 and they fill up fast. The State proctored examination is included with the classroom course and is given during the last hour of the class. If you pass, you will receive a temporary certificate good for 45 days. Your permanent certificate will be sent to you in the mail.
Registration for the Classroom Course is now on-line at:
https://register-ed.com/programs/newhampshire/174

If you prefer to take the online course go to:

Upon successful completion of the online course, you must register and successfully pass a proctored exam before receiving your certificate. After completing your course online, register online for your proctored exam:
https://register-ed.com/programs/newhampshire/175
Most of the Proctored Exams are on Friday evenings starting at 4:00 or 5:00.

Persons between the age of 15 and 16 may also take the course or exam but will not receive their certificate until their 16th birthday.
Interestingly, the New Hampshire commercial boat license (see item #5 above) does not require any classroom or online course completion. Just sign up for and take the test. Study materials are available online, and the test itself is not difficult to pass. The license costs $15 and is valid for five years. You never have to retest, unless you let the license lapse.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
Closetzguy

my two cents.......I did the on-line "Ohio" version couple of years ago for I was under a time constraint and no local classes were available. Ohio lets you do the 6 hours on line study and the final exam is also online. You then print out your certificate and a NASBLA card shows up in the mail a couple of weeks later.

2 weeks ago I did the class room (one day) class at the Windham Fire Department because my wife and daughter needed to get their licenses for the jet skis....(PWC's)

So as someone who has done it both ways I would say you would retain more doing the study work on line....you can take your time, the videos are outstanding and you just spend more time on the basic material.

The 'in-class" method offers a more social experience, but there is more opportunity to get off topic for too long. The instructor had lots of Lake Winni experience so that helped.....where the online does not have any local info.

As a side note....I asked the instructor if marine patrol has any issue with the Ohio NASBLA card....he said "not really" but stated that there is no way to prove the person actually took the test themselves.....and they just want to make sure people have the best education they can get.

Either way, the test is very passable. 25/25 passed the in-class test. Hope this helps.
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #18
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetzguy View Post
Ohio lets you do the 6 hours on line study and the final exam is also online. You then print out your certificate and a NASBLA card shows up in the mail a couple of weeks later...I asked the instructor if marine patrol has any issue with the Ohio NASBLA card....he said "not really" but stated that there is no way to prove the person actually took the test themselves.....and they just want to make sure people have the best education they can get.
According to the law, boating safety education from other states must "meet or exceed" the NH requirements. Since NH requires a proctored test, boating safety education from other states would also have to include a proctored test.

However, several years ago the Marine Patrol stated that their officers couldn't be expected to sort out the details of the requirements of 50 different states and that they would accept all NASBLA approved course certificates. As far as I know that is still their policy.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
For the record if you do not pass please stay away from me on the lake it was honestly one of the easiest test I've ever taken after sitting through eight hours of a guy telling you what the answers were.. Just my .002
I know someone that didn't pass first time. It was taken in Concord and the instructors really didn't "answer" test questions straight out. It does depend where you take it, when given in our association in the past the instructors basically "try very hard" to not let you fail. It does depend where you take it and who your instructor is.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #20
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I know someone that didn't pass first time. It was taken in Concord and the instructors really didn't "answer" test questions straight out. It does depend where you take it, when given in our association in the past the instructors basically "try very hard" to not let you fail. It does depend where you take it and who your instructor is.
The test isn't made to fail anyone. Calling it a proctored exam in my opinion is also a joke just to make it sound official. Yes by definition it is proctored but lets get serious there wasn't more than 4 questions on the test that required more than 10 seconds thought.

I'm not one of these people who's been boating on Winni since 1961 either so I don't have years of experience of the rules and lakes and etc so its not second nature to me. The questions were worded straight forward with no trickery. And someone correct me if I am wrong, cant you get 11 questions wrong and still pass? If you get 12 wrong you shouldn't be allowed on the lake for that season. Sorry, that's embarrassing.

Like someone else stated this isn't even a "licence" test this is basically I am proving to you I have the mental capacity to read a packet of papers, or sit there and listen like I did, on boat safety and general navigation then regurgitate how to operate a boat safely and which side of the boat you keep a black or red bouy on via multiple choice answers. Pretty important to demonstrate an understanding of the material for what we are all looking to do on the lake.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
According to the law, boating safety education from other states must "meet or exceed" the NH requirements. Since NH requires a proctored test, boating safety education from other states would also have to include a proctored test.

However, several years ago the Marine Patrol stated that their officers couldn't be expected to sort out the details of the requirements of 50 different states and that they would accept all NASBLA approved course certificates. As far as I know that is still their policy.
That is exactly the issue..... they can't know the requirements in all 50 states.... For this system of basic knowledge to work, as long the course is NASBLA approved reciprocity must exist... This was a case where NH was trying to be the leader in this effort, and made a law based on what was believed to be the direction a NASBLA certification was going.... As it turns out NASBLA didn't decided a proctored exam was mandatory.... much like some states don't have a driver perform a 3 point turn....

Much like NH had to finally accept the boat registration format of the other 50 states, so will they have to provide reciprocity for the NASBLA approved courses....
Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #22
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

With all due respect, the determination of what type of certificate "Meets or Exceeds" NH requirements is made by the State of New Hampshire, not individuals.

In any event, NH recognizes NASBLA certificates from other states.

From the NH Boating Guide

A Safe Boater Education Certificate
may be obtained by persons 16 years of
age or older only and must be carried on board.

A boating certificate issued by another State agency and NASBLA
approved.

A boating certificate issued by the US Power Squadron.

A boating certificate issued by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary.

An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the US Coast Guard.

An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the State of New
Hampshire.

If you wish to operate a motorboat on New Hampshire waters and
you do not have any of the above certificates, please visit our website
boatingeducation.nh.gov, or call us at 1-888-254-2125

Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
With all due respect, the determination of what type of certificate "Meets or Exceeds" NH requirements is made by the State of New Hampshire, not individuals.

In any event, NH recognizes NASBLA certificates from other states.

From the NH Boating Guide

A Safe Boater Education Certificate
may be obtained by persons 16 years of
age or older only and must be carried on board.

A boating certificate issued by another State agency and NASBLA
approved.

A boating certificate issued by the US Power Squadron.

A boating certificate issued by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary.

An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the US Coast Guard.

An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the State of New
Hampshire.

If you wish to operate a motorboat on New Hampshire waters and
you do not have any of the above certificates, please visit our website
boatingeducation.nh.gov, or call us at 1-888-254-2125

Isn't the NHMP a "representative" of the state in regards to boating laws and their enforcement??....
Old 08-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #24
JTA

I am a 71 year old boater (40 On Winni) years ago I took the US Power Squadtron course in Connecticut and was given the CT Boater safety card which I still carry assuming that it covers my boat operation in NH. I received the CT prior to being needed in NH as I was grandfathered for a while when the NH Licensing went into effect. I've always assumed I'm good in NH. Right or wrong?
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #25
Knomad

JTA

Your Power Squadron Certificate is good in NH. Other State issued certificates approved by NASBLA are also good in NH.

If you don't already have one, pick up a New Hampshire Handbook of Boating Laws and Responsibilities. This will give you information on the laws and rules unique to NH. The latest version is the Seventh Edition.
Unfortunately the copyright is 2013. Some of the laws and rules have changed since then. If you have any questions do not hesitate to call the Marine Patrol at 877-642-9700 or 603-293-2037.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knomad For This Useful Post:
JTA (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #26
jeffk

Thumbs up Success

My wife took the course on July 23. She got only one question wrong on the test. She got her official card in the mail today!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #27
Rich

A friend just did this so I know it works.

If you can't make one of the NH "Proctored" exams in person, the MD boating NASBLA certificate can be completely completed online, there is no need to show up in person to take the exam.

Now, this may be controversial (and I'm sure it will be), but it's allowed and the MD boat-ed certificate is NASBLA certified and is therefore allowed in NH.

start here:
https://www.boat-ed.com/

Then click MD:
https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/

Pay your fees, learn the material, then pass the final exam.

Note that I would strongly recommend that you also review the NH material to be familiar with the NH specific rules. This may also be a good idea for anyone that wonders what the exams are like, or if you would like to refresh yourself:

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #28
AC2717

I am curious
can someone that is under the age 16 take the test and if pass get their license, or do they have to be 16 no matter what? so I guess I have a couple questions

1) can someone under 16 take the test and get there license?

2) Does it matter if they pass if they are still not allowed to drive anything over 25hp because of their age?

3) if they do pass and #2 applies does that mean once the day they turn 16 it is ok for them to start driving anything over 25 hp?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #29
Rich

I don't know, but I would assume 'no you must be over 15 years' or the certificate won't be valid. They take your age into account and probably won't allow one to take it if you're not old enough. If you mis-represent the age of the applicant, then that is a different issue which would also make it invalid.

From the study guide:

Quote:
Who May Operate a Vessel

A vessel powered by 25 horsepower or less does not require the operator to have a Safe Boating Certificate.

A “ski craft” (motorized vessel less than 13 feet long that is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person) may be operated only by persons who are 16 years old or older and who have a valid Safe Boating Certificate.

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:
• A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boating Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel.
• A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a Safe Boating Certificate.
FYI, it's not a license and as such never expires, but it is a certificate of having taken the safety training and having passed the exam showing you "know" the material presented in the class.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #30
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't know, but I would assume 'no you must be over 15 years' or the certificate won't be valid. They take your age into account and probably won't allow one to take it if you're not old enough. If you mis-represent the age of the applicant, then that is a different issue which would also make it invalid.

From the study guide:

FYI, it's not a license and as such never expires, but it is a certificate of having taken the safety training and having passed the exam showing you "know" the material presented in the class.
so what I am alluding to now I would say is why couldn't a 13 or a 14 year old take the class and pass it and have their certificate and when they turn 16 it becomes valid?
Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #31
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
so what I am alluding to now I would say is why couldn't a 13 or a 14 year old take the class and pass it and have their certificate and when they turn 16 it becomes valid?
If they take the Maryland online course they can! Here is what it states...

"There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course. You do not have to be a resident of Maryland to take this online course."

Dan
Old 08-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #32
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
If they take the Maryland online course they can! Here is what it states...

"There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course. You do not have to be a resident of Maryland to take this online course."

Dan
so what is to stop a 13 year olr or any kid for that point from taking a test from MD and the day they hit 16 in NH they are legal???

also another reason why non of this makes sense
Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #33
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
so what is to stop a 13 year olr or any kid for that point from taking a test from MD and the day they hit 16 in NH they are legal???

also another reason why non of this makes sense
Nothing is stopping them except the certificate won't be valid in NH until that person turns 16 and whats wrong with that??

What doesn't make sense?...if the state (NH) accepts the MD exam what difference does it make at what age they passed the test as long as they pass?? While it may be frowned upon, it is completely legal and in all honesty do you really believe the certificate makes someone an instant Captain??

Heck I know a dozen or so island kids under the age of 15 that could navigate a boat way better than many adults I see attempt it on weekends!

My wife aced (100%) the online exam when it first came out but there was no way in hell she was going to get behind the helm of a boat without hands on instruction and lessons which she has been taking dilligently!

Dan
Old 08-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Nothing is stopping them except the certificate won't be valid in NH until that person turns 16 and whats wrong with that??

What doesn't make sense?...if the state (NH) accepts the MD exam what difference does it make at what age they passed the test as long as they pass?? While it may be frowned upon, it is completely legal and in all honesty do you really believe the certificate makes someone an instant Captain??

Heck I know a dozen or so island kids under the age of 15 that could navigate a boat way better than many adults I see attempt it on weekends!

My wife aced (100%) the online exam when it first came out but there was no way in hell she was going to get behind the helm of a boat without hands on instruction and lessons which she has been taking dilligently!

Dan
couldn't agree more, I was being sarcastic. I was directing my remarks to how a test makes people legal but doesn't mean they are good boaters, although some may think so. I should have made it clearer
ishoot308 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #35
Rich

I don't think *anyone* has said that passing the exam makes them a good / safe / nor knowledgeable boater.

Where is this coming from? I have never seen anyone that has said this.

All it proves is that you read the materials, and passed the exam. It doesn't mean you can remember the information, nor does it prove that you follow the practices presented in the course.

After passing the exam and after boating for a few years, I still am trying to learn everything that I can. I'm the last person to say that I know what I'm doing. Most people that I know will also say the same thing, that it is a continual learning process that never ends.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #36
NoBozo

When I took the NASBLA exam in RI, (Proctored) there was a young girl leaving the test room ahead of me in Tears. She had been completely overwhelmed by the content of the exam. She "looked" to be 14 or 15. I asked one of the proctors about it and he said it really didn't matter how old the person taking the exam was because in practice, it would be unlikely someone under 14 or so would be able to Pass the exam.

As to the Maryland question, what would prevent a fully prepared adult from taking the exam On Line "For" the child..or anyone else? No proctor to verify the identity of the person actually taking the exam. NB
Old 08-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #37
NoBozo

Something else I noticed about the Maryland website. There was a NASBLA Logo "shown"..along with the Coast Guard Logo, up in the right hand corner of the front page.

No Where.. on the website did I see Any Words... saying that the Maryland boating safety program is approved by NASBLA. Did I miss something..or something..? NB
Old 08-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #38
Rich

I can't say if you're splitting hairs.. but this page implies that it is a NASBLA card:

https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/boating_card.html
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #39
arch13

In NH you are allowed to sit for the proctored test if you are 15, and the ID card will be mailed to you on your 16th birthday.

Anyone under 16 is allowed to operate a vessel only if they are supervised by someone 18+ who has a boating certificate. (Weirdly once you turn 16 you lose the option of operating under the supervision of someone else, and you must have your own boating license.)
arch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #40
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
I can't say if you're splitting hairs.. but this page implies that it is a NASBLA card:

https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/boating_card.html
I just called Maryland. If you vote in NH you are required to take the NH Boater Safety Course. If you live in a state other than NH you will need to call them at 1-800-830-2268. I was curious because I am a member of the Lakes Region Power Squadron and we teach the course for a boating certificate here in NH.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #41
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I just called Maryland. If you vote in NH you are required to take the NH Boater Safety Course. If you live in a state other than NH you will need to call them at 1-800-830-2268. I was curious because I am a member of the Lakes Region Power Squadron and we teach the course for a boating certificate here in NH.
This is interesting, is there some rule/law/policy one can see to solidify this?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #42
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Even looking through nasbla.org I can't find any reference to a policy such as this, but I'll let my friend know what you said, but it would be nice to have something more firm than 'someone online said'.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #43
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Even looking through nasbla.org I can't find any reference to a policy such as this, but I'll let my friend know what you said, but it would be nice to have something more firm than 'someone online said'.

Calling Maryland asking about NH laws? I wouldn't take that for fact.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #44
ishoot308

Well here is some more hearsay...I can tell you that a few people I know have taken the out of state on line courses and have confirmed their validity with the NHMP. Response was, while it is frowned upon, it is legal...Simple way to check is to call NHMP...

Dan
Old 08-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #45
Rich

My take, and I have been often known to be wrong . . .

If the MD card shows up, and it is NASBLA approved, then NH will allow it and it will be valid.

When signing up for the course, there is no questions about 'where do you vote' or 'where is your residence', and it allowed a NH mailing address.

So far my friend has the temporary paperwork that shows he has his certification and is only waiting for the permanent card.

I have my NH Certification and actually took the one day class that ended in the proctored exam. I thought it was a good review of the material, and I always learn more when there is an instructor doing the training. But I can see how some people may prefer an alternative, so I pointed out the MD option.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #46
NoBozo

This is Funny.......or maybe SAD.. Some people here are "Exploring" the idea of Some Way... How they can subvert (Get around) the system.

Why not just follow the law, attend the boating course ...and take the Proctored EXAM. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
jeffk (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #47
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

I'm embarrassed for those who would encourage or support taking some out of state exam because it isn't proctored, i.e POS taking the exam. Look at all the threads here about people who don't understand our buoys and the 150 ft rule. And you want them to take a course that doesn't even touch on these issues or any other NH situations. People on this Forum should be better than that.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
noreast (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #48
Rich

FYI... my friend studied the NH material, passed the online portion of the NH exam, but between work and family obligations he found it very difficult to find an in person exam thst he could attend.

So instead of missing a summer of boating, he has learned the material ( from both NH and MD) and is now boating gaining experience.

Not everyone is retired nor has a lot of spare time. He found he could easily do this study during lunch and/or other spare time, so why not pass the exam online too.

Also, some people freeze up at exams and are intimidated by a formal environment, this gives them a more casual environment to pass the exam. Heck, even his wife took the class and passed too, just to show she could get a better score than him. She never would have done this if she was forced to go to a proctored exam. So now we have two boaters that know the material, instead of just one!

I only mentioned this option here to possibly help others that may be in a similar predicament.

There appears to be no laws nor polices broken here. Can you find even one printed that says this is frowned upon or not allowed? When he told me about it, I looked myself and couldn't fine one myself.

How about those of you that took the NH online exam before NH required you to attend a proctored exam? Did you run out and retake your exam because you are not playing by the current rules? I'm guessing not. I bet a lot of people actually rushed in to take the online exam before the deadline to require the in person proctored exam occurred. Do you want all those people to turn in their certificate and take the course again because they circumvented the new system? I doubt it.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #49
Winnisquamer

I have said this before on this site and got grief for it. The overall class is a joke, taking the NH, MD, FL, or any other entry level class isn't going to make you a safe boater. You are going to make yourself a safe boater. The class gives you the flat out basics of what is what on the water.

So I can see why people want to circumnavigate because I was in that situation as well. I did the online course over the winter, ended up finding out I didn't have time to drive an hour from where I am during the week to sit and take the proctored exam, I waited till spring and was able to do it on a 1 day Saturday class in Gilford (the old building) and thought it was even easier than the online version. The questions again were common sense in my opinion.

Did that make me qualified to navigate Winni like a boss? Absolutely not. Did that make me the safest person on the lake? Again absolutely not.

Gave me the basic knowledge of what to and what not to do.

People here pointing fingers like the ones who get the MD course are criminals. Our instructor told us all NASBLA approved courses/ certs were accepted in NH. If that's the case and MD is NASBLA approved then why are we even discussing this still? Take the course and go enjoy your self and don't act like an idiot, summers short.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #50
Rich

^ I agree 100%

These are not boating and navigation classes, but a cursory overview of some boating laws and procedures. Some say you get MORE out of the online version that you do from the in person version.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #51
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Extra effort

Rich, I applaud the extra effort your friend took. BZ.
The proctored exam requirement was instituted a few years into the progressive certificate program because Marine Patrol presented evidence that there were many people who did not personally take the exam, but had somebody "assisting" them. There were boat rental places giving out the temporary exam with the answers highlighted in yellow. The whole system was being abused and it was a difficult chore for MP to do what the legislature had asked of them. Proctored exams were part of the solution.

In other states (e.g. FL, MD) they have fewer lakes than NH and more "ocean boaters" who tend to be more serious about their boating and thus better self educated, certificates notwithstanding. MP has told me that our seacoast boaters are similarly better educated than those who are strictly inland.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #52
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Why not just follow the law...
Which law isn't being followed?
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote