Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
TrpngBilly

Default Best Navigational Route

Trying to avoid the "Witches". Any suggestions on the best navigational route from Tuftonboro to Gilford, then back again?
TrpngBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
Barney Bear

Default Off to the Weirs

Others can direct you to Bear Island. Then, pass near the south end of Bear Island north of the black lighted buoy, then head northwest passing to the north end of Mark Island through a narrow buoyed channel with a black lighted buoy at the west end of this channel, then pass north of a cluster of buoys,with a black lighted buoy. This buoy cluster is toward the middle of the area between Mark and Governor. Frequently hard to spot until you are near it. Continue west passing between Governor and Eagle. Continue past black Buoy No. 1 to the docks at the Weirs.
Barney Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #3
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpngBilly View Post
Trying to avoid the "Witches". Any suggestions on the best navigational route from Tuftonboro to Gilford, then back again?
What part of Gilford?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Others can direct you to Bear Island. Then, pass near the south end of Bear Island north of the black lighted buoy, then head northwest passing to the north end of Mark Island through a narrow buoyed channel with a black lighted buoy at the west end of this channel, then pass north of a cluster of buoys,with a black lighted buoy. This buoy cluster is toward the middle of the area between Mark and Governor. Frequently hard to spot until you are near it. Continue west passing between Governor and Eagle. Continue past black Buoy No. 1 to the docks at the Weirs.
Just curious: The OP wanted a route from Tuftonboro to Gilford and you gave directions to the Weirs in Laconia, clearly out of the way and not what he asked. What's up with that?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Very Easy

Just stay between the red and black markers to the South West of Timber Island and you will be fine. It's the route the Mt Washington takes as do most others.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Phantom

Seems like a silly question trying to avoid the Witches as if it were a VERY narrow and dangerous spot to navigate. Yet I note it is TrpnBilly's first post -- therefore the helpful me pop's out.

Do not fear this area of the Lake -- There is more than ample ample passage on all sides of the Witches EXCEPT the Northern side where it might be considered a bit "tight" yet as mentioned-- that is the Mounts normal passageway. I would not avoid or fear this general area for boating at all -- just be cognizant that the witches are there.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
regalguy

Default suggestion

I have a suggestion. rather than staying north of this marker or south of that spend $10 and buy yourself a chart. You will have for other trips.
regalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regalguy For This Useful Post:
Reilly (07-06-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Barney Bear

Default Oops!!!

Barney Bear apologizes for misreading the question asked by TRPNBILLY.. He has just come out of hibernation. He suggests his wrong directions be considered bear scat.
Barney Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
Twox48

Default Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Seems like a silly question trying to avoid the Witches as if it were a VERY narrow and dangerous spot to navigate. Yet I note it is TrpnBilly's first post -- therefore the helpful me pop's out.

Do not fear this area of the Lake -- There is more than ample ample passage on all sides of the Witches EXCEPT the Northern side where it might be considered a bit "tight" yet as mentioned-- that is the Mounts normal passageway. I would not avoid or fear this general area for boating at all -- just be cognizant that the witches are there.

The Witches are clearly marked and unlike other hazards, depending on the lake water level, the rocks actually stick out of the water most of the time!

I have to agree with Phantom. If you have a chart and follow it, you should have no problems. Take your time and stay aware of your location which you should do all the time anyway.

2009 H260 5.7GXi Volvo Penta
Twox48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Where to where?

First, welcome to Trpnbilly.

Second, Pjard asked 1/2 the question. Where in Gilford? The other half question is where in Tuftonboro?

You can leave Tuftonboro Neck and go straight across the Broads and hit the shore in Gilford. Not a buoy or a rock to be seen for miles. Nowhere near the Witches. Going to Glendale or Saunders Bay? Again, not really near the Witches.

I think we're happy to help, but the question needs more clarity.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
Rich

Don't avoid The Witches!

Own The Witches!

Dominate the Witches!

Be The Witches!

There are clear routes around it on both sides, which are also marked with lights for night navigation.

Click below to check The Witches out via satellite (Be sure to select the Earth or Satellite view! Zoom in/out scroll around, learn what's there:

The Witches
Old 07-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
TrpngBilly

Default Thanks to all

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do use a chart but was looking to supplement that with some input from others. But, it looks like a moot point now anyway. We're just outside of Melvin Village, in Wawbeek, and had hoped to take the boat to a concert at the pavilion in Gilford. But...I wasn't able to find a slip or a dock near the venue to rent for when we're at the show.

So, while I appreciate everyone's replies, it doesn't seem like it's going to work out for us. It looks like we'll be driving (the old-fashioned and less enjoyable way).
TrpngBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpngBilly View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do use a chart but was looking to supplement that with some input from others. But, it looks like a moot point now anyway. We're just outside of Melvin Village, in Wawbeek, and had hoped to take the boat to a concert at the pavilion in Gilford. But...I wasn't able to find a slip or a dock near the venue to rent for when we're at the show.

So, while I appreciate everyone's replies, it doesn't seem like it's going to work out for us. It looks like we'll be driving (the old-fashioned and less enjoyable way).
Have you tried contacting Fays or Mountainview Yacht Club to see if they have my transient slips available for rent for a night?? I know for a fact Fays has some, whether any are available is another thing...

Good luck!

Dan
Old 07-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #14
Phantom

You can save the call to MVYC .... nope

I wanted to get an overnight slip for friends that would be visiting ... Nada !